• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC post-embargo impressions [30fps, locked 1024x720 internal framebuffer]

mug

3887139_o.gif

Sarcasm

Sr2 ran like crap. Well maybe not anymore with new hardware but it sure didn't like my for two do and gtx 260 back than.

Kiyo

$30 wasted. As I can not cancel my GMG pre-order. I wanted to support one of my favorite franchises. But this is downright disgraceful.

If it's your favorite franchise, and all indications are the PC version is the best version, why is your money wasted?

PC Gamers the biggest drama queens of them all.

1. It will be modded within weeks
2. Motion Blur will hide the majority of jaggies
3. I think you're all afraid of dying :D Capra Demon too much for yas?

Sethos

Banned
Glad I didn't pre-order this turd. This just isn't acceptable, even bringing that mess to our direct output PC monitors that doesn't have all that TV upscaling and smudge work going it. It'll be like playing with your face in a bucket of glass shards.

Oh well bring on the defenders.

mxgt

Banned
I can't even imagine what 1024x720 looks like at 2560x1440 which is what I play my games at.

What a fuck up, anyone that defends this is absolutely insane. I'll probably rebuy it on console instead.

maverick40

Wow a bit dramatic eh? Who cares, it is still one of the best games this generation and arguebly one of the greatest games of all time. If you are such a graphics whore just mod it. Frankly I am shocked people havent bought this for consoles yet.

HoosTrax

OP should also add that the game will kick you out of your game and back to the menu if your framerate drops below 15fps for more than 30 seconds
Yes, well they thoughtfully locked the game to such a low resolution that dropping below 15fps should never be an issue unless this is also the least well optimized port of all time too.

scarybore

Yeah, that's not good enough for me. As much as I want to play it on the PC, I don't want to support half assed ports.

Not nearly as bad as RE4.

For some reason, I read that as RE5 and wondered what the hell you were talking about as Capcom have nailed their PC ports this gen. Keep forgetting RE4 even had a PC release. *shudders*

aeolist

Banned
Yes, well they thoughtfully locked the game to such a low resolution that dropping below 15fps should never be an issue unless this is also the least well optimized port of all time too.

RPS said there was some slowdown in the preview they played, not as bad as PS3 but it wasn't hitting the 30fps cap all the time

Probably won't be a huge problem but still...

If this is indeed true hopefully the uproar will shake the internet to it's knees and someone at from software finds a way to fix this.

Please let me enjoy dark souls, I don't own a console and don't want to burn my eyes playing it like that.

mxgt

Banned
Wow a bit dramatic eh? Who cares, it is still one of the best games this generation and arguebly one of the greatest games of all time. If you are such a graphics whore just mod it. Frankly I am shocked people havent bought this for consoles yet.

What's with these kind of stupid responses?

We shouldn't have to fucking mod it to get a PC game in 2012 running at half decent resolutions.

So running this at higer resolutions will make it look blurry right?

Very blurry. Just look at that screenshot in the OP. Awful.

Sethos

Banned
Are people seriously suggesting it's okay because someone will mod it?

Yes. And apparently requiring basic features and settings is being 'graphical whores' - Sometimes I feel like I stepped into a time-machine and rode that bitch back to 1998.

CSX

Im pretty sure there was talk of this a little after the port was announced.

Hopefully we can find a way to uncap the framerate and add lots of AA

Kokonoe

Banned
Thanks for the heads up, I was actually going to try this game, but I will not pay for a PC game that doesn't have proper resolution settings.

Wanny

I didn't even know that it was possible to lock a resolution on a PC version. That is quite disgusting if you ask me. Any other games on PC did the same abysmal shit?

Smokey

I play at 2560x1600

I simply refuse to play a game at 1024x720 upscaled to that resolution. Not going to happen and whomever is behind the PC project should feel a sense of embarassment. I've had the 360 version for a while unopened, thinking the superior PC version would be worth it. But nope I rather suffer through the 360 version then deal with a 1/4 attempt like the PC version.

Yeah that is what I was afraid of as soon as the PC version became a real thing.

Its nice to have a pc version but you do not know how to make one, outsource it to a real pc dev or seek help from the community or other developers :(

Sad story :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I just re-read the resolution. Thought it was 1280x720 for some reason.

1024x720 is fucking awful.

Card Boy

Banned
Wow port looks worse than Prototype.

$30 wasted. As I can not cancel my GMG pre-order. I wanted to support one of my favorite franchises. But this is downright disgraceful.

I have canceled acouple Steamworks pre-orders from GMG before. If you havent recieved your key and the game isnt out youre 100% entitled to a refund. If you received a key then i'm afraid youre chances are slim.

aeolist

Banned
It kicks you into offline mode, not out of the game.

From the manual:

LoW FPS FEAtuRE
To prevent latency issues and frequent disconnections, there is a
low FPS feature implemented where if your FPS drops below 15
for 30 seconds, your game will automatically be disconnected
from the online session and will return to the title screen. To avoid
this, please refer to the minimum/recommended specifi cations
to have a better confi guration.

Gattsu25

Banned
I play at 2560x1600

I simply refuse to play a game at 1024x720 upscaled to that resolution. Not going to happen and whomever is behind the PC project should feel a sense of embarassment. I've had the 360 version for a while unopened, thinking the superior PC version would be worth it. But nope I rather suffer through the 360 version then deal with a 1/4 attempt like the PC version.
Prepare for the same rendering resolution and framerate dips into the single digits (throughout a specific, and quite large, area of the game) if you play this on a console.
From the manual:
LoW FPS FEAtuRE
To prevent latency issues and frequent disconnections, there is a
low FPS feature implemented where if your FPS drops below 15
for 30 seconds, your game will automatically be disconnected
from the online session and will return to the title screen. To avoid
this, please refer to the minimum/recommended specifi cations
to have a better confi guration.
Whoa. Fuck that shit in its damned ear.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Sucks, but I don't own a console and this is one of two console games I want. I'll just grin and bear it.

Patryn

Can't believe people pre-ordered this shit after all the press about it along the way.

Yeah, that is my question. I won't argue that this is a shitty port, but literally everything I've seen leading up to this has been the studio warning fans that it would be one. Didn't they literally say that they had no real experience coding for the PC?

Meh, my third version of the game. If you are playing Dark Souls and bitching about resolution-you have a problem. Of all things to bitch about in the game: graphics are so not even important.

I consider the PS3 and 360 versions in the top 3 games on either system. 15fps Blighttown and all.

New content, under 30 bucks, smooth framerate: why not?

Phinor

Not happy, but it's still the best version of an RPG I have never played but people say is good. So my pre-order remains.

Xanonano

Dark Souls System Requirements:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 - GeForce 9800 GTX+
DirectX®: 9.0c

Battlefield 3 System Requirements:
Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 2.7 GHz)
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 20 GB
Graphics card (AMD): DirectX 10.1 compatible with 512 MB RAM (ATI Radeon 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 series, with ATI Radeon 3870 or higher performance)
Graphics card (NVIDIA): DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 series with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher performance)

The Witcher 2 System Requirements:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard disk space: 20 GB of disc space
Video: 512 MB RAM supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GF 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)

Top Bottom