• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC post-embargo impressions [30fps, locked 1024x720 internal framebuffer]

That's not what the manual says though. If that's how it works then OK, but it sure looks to me like it kicks you back to the title screen.

To be clear I obviously haven't played the PC version yet so maybe they crapped that part up too, but it sounds very similar to how the console version handles internet disconnection and that's not an issue.

Kiyo

If I don't care about resolution and graphical options, will the game still be fun?

Since it's still better than the console version, yes. Go look at all the great reviews for the console version and all the people praising it. Now realize that the PC version is better than those. It's just getting a ton of hate because the game isn't up to PC game standards.

Sounds like From Software. At least it's still the game PC players have been pining for? I mean, sure, it's far from the standard PC gamers expect of games, but will it really be unplayable?

Momentary

Banned
PC Gamers the biggest drama queens of them all.

1. It will be modded within weeks
2. Motion Blur will hide the majority of jaggies
3. I think you're all afraid of dying :D Capra Demon too much for yas?

Is this guy being serious?

Wow a bit dramatic eh? Who cares, it is still one of the best games this generation and arguebly one of the greatest games of all time. If you are such a graphics whore just mod it. Frankly I am shocked people havent bought this for consoles yet.

When I buy a game for PC I expect it to not look like games I get on my 360 or PS3. I have a PC because I want the best frame rate and the best graphics I can possibly have to have and all around better experience. And yes... a game running at 60 or 120FPS increases it's core gameplay mechanics for me. That's like saying, "Oh this guy is stupid because he doesn't want to play Tekken/Street Fighter at 30 frames per second." Frame rate and resolution adds to the gameplay. Playing this game at 1080p or 2560x1440 resolution is going to hurt the eyes with a game that has a native resolution like that.

How about you stop being over dramatic and condescending towards people who saved up money, took the time to build their own gaming rig or bought one, and expect to have the software to take advantage of their hardware. Does that sound crazy to you?

Erethian

I wonder who decided whether From should develop the PC port or not. Seems a big mistake in hindsight.

Compare that to the way companies like Sega and SE handle the PC ports of their Japan-developed games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, so those rumors were true? I wasn't expecting a great port, but I did decide to put off really digging into the PS3 version so I could play the PC version instead. I almost prepurchased too, lol.

I guess some people don't grasp this, but many of us wanted to play this on PC for the advantages of playing a game on PC. I have a console, so a console-quality PC port does me no good. Dark Souls is in fact a great game, and it deserves better than this.

MRORANGE

Smear vaseline on your monitor and boot up a PC game. Is it fun?

I've played games that are over 20 years of age to this day that resemble blops of paint, it was more of a question of "is actual gameplay is good enough?"

it sucks you don't have pc options, but MSAA options is not why I got into gaming.

Jarmel

Banned
Since it's still better than the console version, yes. Go look at all the great reviews for the console version and all the people praising it. Now realize that the PC version is better than those. It's just getting a ton of hate because the game isn't up to PC game standards.

Dude, below 720p on a monitor that has above 1080p resolution is damn near unplayable. Not to mention the distance you are between your tv and the distance between you and your monitor is much smaller. Playing it on your tv might actually be better.

Depends how you look at it.

Asking $70 for a poorly optimised port with GFFWL to me doesn't make it better to me at all. Maybe if I play it offline on my TV.

inky

Ahhh, the ignorance of (some) console-only gamers.

I find it hilarious that this will still be the best looking version of the game :X At least it's $40... so I'll buy it when it's $5 or something like that.

V_Arnold

Although this is unquestionably a horrible port, your sentence in the OP ("apparently the most incompetent port of all time") is definitely just one more example of the HORRIBLE hyperbole generation and its extremely polarized thinking. If it is a horrible port, then it is OF ALL TIME?

I strongly doubt that you had access to each and every pc port of all games - so even if you like sensationalist titles, this is still just bullshitting for the sake of attention.

it sucks you don't have pc options, but MSAA options is not why I got into gaming.

Me neither. You have a powerful sentence there, I love it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well there's literally no reason whatsoever to even think getting the pc version over ps3/360 if one has the choice/option.

If this is how horrendously optimized it is, I can't wait to see how buggy it's gonna be,

Forkball

I almost never preorder games, but I preordered Dark Souls despite my better judgement because GAF hyped up the game so much. I expect a dollar from each of you.

mxgt

Banned

I find it hilarious that this will still be the best looking version of the game :X At least it's $40... so I'll buy it when it's $5 or something like that.

It might not even be the best looking. Running at a higher resolution that native will make it look worse than the console versions due to the vaseline.

Although this is unquestionably a horrible port, your sentence in the OP ("apparently the most incompetent port of all time") is definitely just one more example of the HORRIBLE hyperbole generation and its extremely polarized thinking. If it is a horrible port, then it is OF ALL TIME?

I strongly doubt that you had access to each and every pc port of all games - so even if you like sensationalist titles, this is still just bullshitting for the sake of attention.

Oh, so you're new to the internet, then? The point is that this is a terrible port, possibly worse than Saints Row 2 (which usually winds up high in the "worst PC port" lists), which takes some doing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I almost never preorder games, but I preordered Dark Souls despite my better judgement because GAF hyped up the game so much. I expect a dollar from each of you.

Now you've learned your lesson.

Patryn

Wow, so those rumors were true? I wasn't expecting a great port, but I did decide to put off really digging into the PS3 version so I could play the PC version instead. I almost prepurchased too, lol.

I guess some people don't grasp this, but many of us wanted to play this on PC for the advantages of playing a game on PC. I have a console, so a console-quality PC port does me no good. Dark Souls is in fact a great game, and it deserves better than this.

Can you really call them rumors when it was the studio directly talking to the press?

hodgy100

Or maybe PC gamers have standards and certain expectations.

It makes no sense to lock the frame rate and resolution, its up to the player to change the settings to fit their pc so they can get optimal performance on their hardware. Thats pretty much the sole reason for buying a game like this on the PC instead of on consoles.

I was really interested in getting this. completely turned off from the idea now :/

Bedlam

This is even worse than Rogue Warrior.

Difference: Rogue Warrior is a shitty game, Dark Souls is a great game.

Yeah, the technical side of the port is disappointing but if that makes Dark Souls a no-buy for you, then you are no gamer in my eyes. You PC guys need to stop acting like Dark Souls is suddenly completely unplayable. Hundreds of thousands of console gamers were able to appreciate this great game despite it's technical shortcomings - because the content is awesome and that is what matters most in the end. Stop being in love with your hardware specs and learn to enjoy the actual game.

Orayn

I am...
  • Disappointed
  • Keeping my preorder because I want to play online but not pay for Xbox Live Gold
  • Hoping some strange twist of fate leads to Souls 3 getting a PC port, and a better one than this

JBuccCP

You guys are looking at it wrong. All you PC gamers always bitch about games not being like the good old days when games were a real challenge and treated you with respect. From just wanted to let you relive that 90s experience, resolution and all.

comrade

So glad I didn't get caught in the hype and pre-order this. It's like the opposite of the Sleeping Dogs port.

Yeah, the technical side of the port is disappointing but if that makes Dark Souls a no-buy for you, then you are no gamer in my eyes. You PC guys need to stop acting like Dark Souls is suddenly completely unplayable. Hundreds of thousands of console gamers were able to appreciate this great game despite it's technical shortcomings - because the content is awesome and that is what matters most in the end. Stop being in love with your hardware specs and learn to enjoy the actual game.

A game rendered at 1024x720 and locked at 30fps is unplayable to me. I'd feel I was only enabling developers to get away with it if I paid money for this bad of a port.

Well there's literally no reason whatsoever to even think getting the pc version over ps3/360 if one has the choice/option.

If this is how horrendously optimized it is, I can't wait to see how buggy it's gonna be,

Well, you do get the extra content early and for the price of buying the game. Not sure if you have to pay extra for the new content on PS3/360. Also, if Blight town plays better, as the Eurogamer article suggests, that's a huge reason to get it over PS3/360.

Even with the issues it may be the go-to version of the game.

duckroll

Can you really call them rumors when it was the studio directly talking to the press?

It's funny how in the end the director was the most honest of them all. He tried to warn everyone right from the point it was announced that they were struggling with the port and it would very underwhelming and have seriously fucked up "features", but everyone wanted to believe otherwise instead.

This is a pretty sad situation all round. But pretty hilarious. Lol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Let me put this in perspective for some of you console dudes who just don't understand, apparently.

Would you think it was acceptable if a game's PS3 port was rendered at the same resolution as a Wii game and then just upscaled to your HD screen?

I've just realized no one should even expect this to be patched in a timely manner (if at all)... it's GFWL.

Would you think it was acceptable if a game's PS3 port was rendered at the same resolution as a Wii game and then just upscaled to your HD screen?
Did you just describe Black Ops on PS3?

Xanathus

I've played games that are over 20 years of age to this day that resemble blops of paint, it was more of a question of "is actual gameplay is good enough?"

Assuming there are no more bombshells dropping that affect the gameplay at all, it should be OK to your standards. Basically this is TOTALLY a non-issue if you're OK with playing a game that looks like a PS1 emulated game.

Also yeah don't expect mods to fix this because it uses GFWL which prevents any file modifications.

Yeah, the technical side of the port is disappointing but if that makes Dark Souls a no-buy for you, then you are no gamer in my eyes. You PC guys need to stop acting like Dark Souls is suddenly completely unplayable. Hundreds of thousands of console gamers were able to appreciate this great game despite it's technical shortcomings. And so can you! Stop being in love with your hardware specs and learn to enjoy the actual game.

It´s not to much to ask of a new game to do what 99% of all other PC games do.

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

That answers my questions.

Everybody who is saying that we shouldn't be pissed because it is still the best version of the game is forgetting that if all other things are equal, the presence of gfwl and it's save game eating actually makes it the worst version. Not to mention that a company that can't figure out how to make a game that runs at different resolutions is almost certainly incapable of making a pc game that doesn't crash constantly. If they couldn't figure out even the most basic technical issues around porting a game to pc they should have outsourced it to someone who could. It's ridiculous to support crap like this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Green Man Gaming said:
Request #24211 "Pre-order cancellation: Dar..." created
(I'm an idiot and forgot to log in before sending off the request. I provided the order ID, though, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

If the internal rendering resolution sees a bump, I'll purchase the game at a later date.

V_Arnold

Let me put this in perspective for some of you console dudes who just don't understand, apparently.

I would buy Xenoblade for 360 that way. In a heartbeat.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Fair enough, I don't remember the details perfectly but it seemed like all the stuff about locked resolution had been debunked and eventually laughed off.

Erethian

Maybe not the best comparison considering what some "HD" games have rendered at this generation.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Not really, but if the game is good enough I might be willing to let it go. I don't think anyone makes a shitty port on purpose.

I would buy Xenoblade for 360 that way. In a heartbeat.

Exactly, it depends on the game. I would definitely buy Xenoblade on the 360.

Shiryu

Neo Member
I don't see people being able to justify the out of the box release which could/is going to be broken.

But if after a while editting the config files or mods take over and make it 100% better (or y'know, PATCHES), the game would be fine.

Not sure if I'll give it another go on PC, I'm stuck on consoles in NG+. Freaking Four Kings :/.

Console only? All i own is a PS3 and all i own for that is DaS. My entire collection is on Steam and GOG. I just don't see the big deal. So what i can't play the game at 1080p or 60fps. I can at least play the game on my PC, i don't need to deal with PSN and a controller i dislike anymore. DaS isn't about graphics, its about the game and as long as it runs stable even at a meagre 30fps i could not give a damn.

Top Bottom