• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC post-embargo impressions [30fps, locked 1024x720 internal framebuffer]

Xanathus

Actually thinking about it a bit more, the thread title may be completely true and has no hyperbole because even with shitty ports like Saints Row 2 they did not use DRM that prevents modding. However since this is using GFWL there's nothing anyone can do about it short of cracking the game which would mean breaking online functionality.

As the other thread has closed ....

Does it always display 360 buttons or change to keyboard/mouse buttons when using them ?
Hahahaha, after hearing about this, do you really think they implemented this? I wouldn't be surprised if there are no gamepad button prompt icons.

Patryn

Fair enough, I don't remember the details perfectly but it seemed like all the stuff about locked resolution had been debunked and eventually laughed off.

If by debunked you meant dismissed by people claiming with no proof that it must be a mistranslation.

Look, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm not dismissing that this is a shit port. I'm just amazed that so many people are shocked this is a shit port when the studio itself was telling people to expect a shit port.

MRORANGE

Assuming there are no more bombshells dropping that affect the gameplay at all, it should be OK to your standards. Basically this is TOTALLY a non-issue if you're OK with playing a game that looks like a PS1 emulated game.

If were going to start attacking the game, you might as well make it believable :p

looks like a ps2 game.

Interfectum

Assuming there are no more bombshells dropping that affect the gameplay at all, it should be OK to your standards. Basically this is TOTALLY a non-issue if you're OK with playing a game that looks like a PS1 emulated game.

We don't know that yet. The game could also be buggy as shit thus directly effecting gameplay.

Alastor

Still buying it. First things first, it's an awesome game. I'm expecting problems with this port, but these shouldn't impact my enjoyment.

(and my PC monitor is only 1280 x 1024 anyway, duh)

Erethian

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

That answers my questions.

You'd have thought somewhere during the process of greenlighting a PC version they'd have discussed this and considered handing the port off to someone more competent.

/enters Blight Town

"Feeling lucky, punk?"

You'd have thought somewhere during the process of greenlighting a PC version they'd have discussed this and considered handing the port off to someone more competent.

Also, wasn't PC version developed in response to a petition from gamers in the West, not Japan? As From mentioned themselves, there is limited PC market in Japan, why would Japanese gamers be interested in a PC version?

Pooya

FROM Software really needs new programmers, it's not just this PC port or Dark Souls, their console games are all terrible, Armored Core V is another ugly piece of slide show, so is AC4.

Kiyo

Actually thinking about it a bit more, the thread title may be completely true and has no hyperbole because even with shitty ports like Saints Row 2 they did not use DRM that prevents modding. However since this is using GFWL there's nothing anyone can do about it short of cracking the game which would mean breaking online functionality.

Hahahaha, after hearing about this, do you really think they implemented this? I wouldn't be surprised if there are no gamepad button prompt icons.

What? You can mod GFWL games without cracking them.

I'm compelled to keep my pre-order just to be completely sure, and in the chance that it is fixed by the mod community. I don't know, I just can't believe this; I should have known, as all signs were pointing to shit. I'm just glad they will be releasing new content on the console versions, and I still have my PS3 deluxe edition.

They didn't need to worry about getting the game out to PC gamers quickly; we would understand if they took their fucking time with it and had some pride.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Er-If you were expecting "4000K 100000000000000000FPS BLIGHTTOWN MAGICALLY FIXED! BEST PORT EVER!" I think you were setting yourself up for failure. From outright ADMITTED the port wasn't going to be the best thing since sliced bread because they simply do not have the knowledge/time for the PC at the moment are doing it simply because PC people wanted a port. The same with the Games for Windows Live fiasco, they're doing that simply because the framework is similar to 360-netcode to quickly port it.

Really, if you were buying into it for "BEST PORT EVER" proportions you only have yourself to blame, OP. :/

Firebrand

K7DAF.jpg

I don't know what's dumber, that the internal resolution is locked or that they actually implemented a resolution option and then did basically nothing with it.

I might actually still consider playing the PC version at some point if it's not actually worse than the console version (well, except for GFWL then), but I'll wait for a large discount. Shame. Hopefully it's something they can fix when/if they patch the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not surprising, unfortunately :(

inky

Console only? All i own is a PS3 and all i own for that is DaS. My entire collection is on Steam and GOG. I just don't see the big deal. So what i can't play the game at 1080p or 60fps. I can at least play the game on my PC, i don't need to deal with PSN and a controller i dislike anymore. DaS isn't about graphics, its about the game and as long as it runs stable even at a meagre 30fps i could not give a damn.

I'm sorry you have such low standards for PC gaming then. That you "don't see the big deal" doesn't mean that it's not there. Some of us like our PCs to produce a better-than-console experience, TYVM.

Bedlam

Would you think it was acceptable if a game's PS3 port was rendered at the same resolution as a Wii game and then just upscaled to your HD screen?
If it meant I'm getting great games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns etc. without having to buy a Wii, then I'd have zero problems with the low resolution.

Resolution is not everything. Sure, I had fun with Crysis, Witcher 2 etc on PC and I admire the visuals. But I also regularly go back and play classic games on my PC where I can count the pixels. And it's no big deal at all. It's the actual game that matters most.

I repeat: Dark Souls was a great game on consoles and if it doesn't perform worse than on consoles, then it's still a great game on PC. The disappointment about the port not being better is justified, the ridiculous bitching needs to stop.

Conor 419

Banned
Sounds like it's pretty much the PS3/360 version.

I'd be delighted with that to be honest, there's no way I'd not play one of the greatest games of the generation simply on the basis that it's not 60FPS or 1080p.

Sethos

Banned
Er-If you were expecting "4000K 100000000000000000FPS BLIGHTTOWN MAGICALLY FIXED! BEST PORT EVER!" I think you were setting yourself up for failure. From outright ADMITTED the port wasn't going to be the best thing since sliced bread because they simply do not have the knowledge/time for the PC at the moment are doing it simply because PC people wanted a port. The same with the Games for Windows Live fiasco, they're doing that simply because the framework is similar to 360-netcode to quickly port it.

Really, if you were buying into it for "BEST PORT EVER" proportions you only have yourself to blame, OP. :/

I don't get these kind of posts. Apparently being disappointed in one of the worst PC ports in years means people are expecting the extreme opposite end of the scale. It isn't possible to ask for the basics: Native resolutions and FPS based on your hardware - Is that really too much to ask in 2012?

Piers

Still buying it. First things first, it's an awesome game. I'm expecting problems with this port, but these shouldn't impact my enjoyment.

(and my PC monitor is only 1280 x 1024 anyway, duh)

Amen, brother. Just happy they gave it a shot and listened to plead for a PC port.

Are you blind? That might explain this post.

Are you serious?

EXPECTING all the bells and whistles in a pc port from a developer with no pc experience is assonine. Elitist PC GAF demanding everything.

So greedy.

So cheap too- I bought 2 damn copies when it was $59.00. LAST OCTOBER on both consoles.

The game was 27 bucks on GMG with the deal of the day code

Dark Souls is a phenomenal experience no one should miss out on. Then again I bet the difficulty may dissuade most new users more than the "sub 720" graphics.

For that alone I smile.

Herb

Banned
I hope I'm not the only one here who'll buy it regardless.

Nah. I've already pre-ordered it, and I pre-ordered it when I knew the game was going to have all these "issues". The game itself is so good, the DLC alone is worth the purchase for me.

I'd be delighted with that to be honest, there's no way I'd not play one of the greatest games of the generation simply on the basis that it's not 60FPS or 1080p.

Do you have a PS3/X360? Because you could've been playing the game for almost a year now, since the port is exactly as console version. Also, I don't think you realize how bad this will look on PC.

Uhh so who's cancelling and who's keeping their pre-orders? Idk what to do. Odds are high that someone will release a resolution fix within a week or two, right? I can't play at a res this low.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If by debunked you meant dismissed by people claiming with no proof that it must be a mistranslation.

Look, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm not dismissing that this is a shit port. I'm just amazed that so many people are shocked this is a shit port when the studio itself was telling people to expect a shit port.

You're not being mean, you're just arguing with my admittedly flawed memory of the events leading up to this news. Congrats, you won.

Uhh so who's cancelling and who's keeping their pre-orders? Idk what to do. Odds are high that someone will release a resolution fix within a week or two, right? I can't play at a res this low.

I'd wait it out. Maybe it can be improved over time but for now it would be smart to see how things play out before your get charged for it.

Jarmel

Banned
Did you think the game was fun?

Still going through it but yea. Playing at native rez was a pretty horrible experience until I used Dolphin. You can get away with a lot more stuff on a TV compared to a monitor, due to the distance.

hodgy100

Difference: Rogue Warrior is a shitty game, Dark Souls is a great game.

Yeah, the technical side of the port is disappointing but if that makes Dark Souls a no-buy for you, then you are no gamer in my eyes. You PC guys need to stop acting like Dark Souls is suddenly completely unplayable. Hundreds of thousands of console gamers were able to appreciate this great game despite it's technical shortcomings - because the content is awesome and that is what matters most in the end. Stop being in love with your hardware specs and learn to enjoy the actual game.

It's not that im not gonna get it. I'll just get it for PS3 instead of PC now.

Digoman

I don't know why so many people are thinking it is a sure thing it will be modded. Sometimes unlocking FPS makes things unstable, who knows how hardcoded the internal resolution is, and even some popular games like the Mass Effect series can only have new textures using external programs like texmod (I think, it's been a while since a last checked).

I'm still interested in the game since I heard so much about it, but all of this + GFWL will make me wait for at least a sub $10 price, and I was probably going to buy it from GMG today using that -25% code, phew...

Erethian

I don't get these kind of posts. Apparently being disappointed in one of the worst PC ports in years means people are expecting the extreme opposite end of the scale. It isn't possible to ask for the basics: Native resolutions and FPS based on your hardware - Is that really too much to ask in 2012?

Yeah. If this port was at the level of, say, what Binary Domain or Sonic Generations were, I doubt you'd be seeing much complaining.

Akkad

Banned
I think I'm keeping my preorder, besides I have Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 to go through before this game so it might be a while.

Bedlam

Also, I don't think you realize how bad this will look on PC.
Uhm, it will probably look like the console version looked on HDTVs. No big deal.

Good to see not every PC gamer is a graphics whore.

Prophane33

I sold my barely touched 360 version in order to buy this one, so something like this isn't really going to turn me off of it. The 30 FPS thing sucks, but I expect a fix for that. The resolution thing is not much of an issue, because despite my very nice system specs, I grew up a console gamer, and outside of a year or so with a roommate didn't even own an HDTV until last year. So, even running a game at 1280×720 looks completely sweet to me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Are you serious?

EXPECTING all the bells and whistles in a pc port from a developer with no pc experience is assonine. Elitist PC GAF demanding everything.

So asking that the game not be limited in a way that no other PC games from this generation are limited is being elitist?

Odds are high that someone will release a resolution fix within a week or two, right? I can't play at a res this low.

Even if it is possible to mod it I assume that because it is gfwl you will lose the online funtionality, which seems to be a core part of the experience.

thefil

I was a disappointed to see this, but then I saw the required specs and realized that I probably would spend the whole game getting kicked to menu anyways.

Would love to see what's going on with the source code that they need that kind of hardware to get 30fps at 1024x720.

Sethos

Banned
Uhm, it will probably look like the console version looked on HDTVs. No big deal.

No. TVs have upscalers, filters and processing that will smudge the image and apply all this post-processing. PC monitors are direct output meaning you see all that shit as is. So in some areas it could possibly look worse than the console version due to the massive discrepancy in internal rendering resolution and native resolution. Plus TV users have distance, PC users are usually right in front of the monitor.

Burekma

Man oh man, so it WAS both textures and the resolution that's coming straight from the console version? :lol.

Have some experience playing 720p console games on a 24" monitor sitting about ~40-50cm away, and I can tell ya, it's not a pretty site. Blurryness like you never seen and jaggies straight out of your worst nightmare.

Even if it is possible to mod it I assume that because it is gfwl you will lose the online funtionality, which seems to be a core part of the experience.

I seem to remember playing GTA IV online (which had GFWL) with people using trainers and mods. Don't know if that's changed.

Top Bottom