• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

big_z

GWX said:
It's a shame that the PC doesn't have proper graphics options: the Eurogamer.de review mention that you can only modify the resolution and turn on or off V-Sync. Also, that propably means no AA support (at least not native, maybe it works if forcing).

:(

Well, at least it mentions that it's a solid port, so I'm still interested.

from what i've read it doesnt even have proper 4:3 resolution options. i still use crt with my pc so now im thinking of getting the 360 version.

MightyKAC

Just started downloading it. Hopefully my alienware M11x i5 will be able to run this well. As it's my only functioning pc as of now :(

Volcynika

Ok, first impressions.

It installed the comic and soundtrack but I'm not sure where...

When my controller is plugged in, it seems to just make me always look straight up or down without being able to change it (if I inverted the axis or not) but I can still move the aiming cursor normally, but the camera doesn't move with it...not sure if its the controller or what.

Not sure if I'll figure out KB/M controls yet, but seriously

I'm trying to play this at 1680x1050 resolution, but I get essentially this with huge black bars on top and bottom.

http://imgur.com/DoqOl.jpg[IMG]

I know it's mentioned earlier in the thread, but this resolution thing blows. There are pretty much zero graphics/resolution options apparently. What all work was done on this part of the PC version, waiting for very minimal settings is just annoying. I hope they haven't stopped working on it and will patch this stuff in, because this is just a pain to play on my monitor at all. It's close to unacceptable.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
wow that looks like shit

Maybe i will hold off on my purchase for a while longer then. Cheap steam sale or something.

Volcynika

evlcookie said:
wow that looks like shit

Maybe i will hold off on my purchase for a while longer then. Cheap steam sale or something.

Keep in mind this is basically me using PrntScrn to take that shot, but still, the huge black bars take up a very large portion of my monitor.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
evlcookie said:
wow that looks like shit

To be fair, a lot of that is the poorly compressed jpeg and failure to force anisotropic filtering.

Volcynika

GWX said:
It's a shame that the PC doesn't have proper graphics options: the Eurogamer.de review mention that you can only modify the resolution and turn on or off V-Sync. Also, that propably means no AA support (at least not native, maybe it works if forcing).

:(

Well, at least it mentions that it's a solid port, so I'm still interested.

Does anyone know where I can do this since it's clearly not in the game. The only video option it has is...brightness.

Maybe I'm just missing something completely obvious and there's some way thats easy and to make it better (I usually don't go into alter files or whatever), but I just want this game to at least look somewhat impressive and not a pain to deal with while playing, urg.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well now it looks a bit better in the second shot :lol

Still i thought they were taking their time with the PC version, making sure it was all polished and good to go? Rather strange.

Salsa

Gonna start this on PC tomorrow.

Man i hope it runs well, i made the jump to win 7 a while back but im still at 2GB of RAM :/

Im also gonna play it with a DualShock 2 :p

mm04

I played about 10 minutes worth and ran Fraps. I'm really surprised that my machine doesn't run this better. I'm running it at 1920 x 1080 with an X4 955 overclocked to 3.6ghz, 2 x 5770 in CrossFire, W7 64bit and 4gb of memory. I was probably averaging just a little over 40 fps and it dipped down to just under 30 when stuff was going haywire onscreen. I will say that it looks pretty dang good, though. I'm interested to hear the performance of other PC version owners as well.

Started this on PS3 when it came in a few days ago... can't stop. Have other newer things to play too, and I just can't stop playing it. I'm already passed the 2nd temple type area and about halfway to the third encounter.

For some reason, I thought there was a cheese/trophy for getting 500 execution (instant) kills... but I can't find it... and I've certainly passed that point by now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know a lot of awesome games have come out this year but... this is still the game I've enjoyed the most so far. Maybe castlevania will top it

Carm

mm04 said:
I played about 10 minutes worth and ran Fraps. I'm really surprised that my machine doesn't run this better. I'm running it at 1920 x 1080 with an X4 955 overclocked to 3.6ghz, 2 x 5770 in CrossFire, W7 64bit and 4gb of memory. I was probably averaging just a little over 40 fps and it dipped down to just under 30 when stuff was going haywire onscreen. I will say that it looks pretty dang good, though. I'm interested to hear the performance of other PC version owners as well.

I'm getting sub 30fps at Vulgrim, right after the beginning area, very disappointing. Playing at 1680x1050, system exceeds recommended specs. Only video options to toggle is resolution and vsync, with no config.ini to tweak to gain some fps. I'm getting tired of poor console ports, I'm close to just going to Gamestop and getting a used 360 to rent multi-platform titles instead of rewarding developers with a sale for bad ports.

And reading the Readme file is hilarious with how many bugs are apparently left in the game. I can't change the sound volume in game using the controls on my headset. The only other game I own on the pc, out of 150, that does that is Mafia 1, which was released 8 years ago.

Oh, and apparently because I always verify the integrity of the game cache after downloading games from Steam, a Darksiders installer pops up, outside of Steam one, installing stuff. I also get a nice big DirectX installer prompt that I have to manually click on. Oh and kudos to Vigil and THQ for installing a THQ directory separate from the Steam game folder without my permission, not knowing until after it's installed.

So annoyed and disappointed right now.

Volcynika: Under options, it's listed under Game Options as Advanced Options.

Volcynika

Galanthas said:
Volcynika: Under options, it's listed under Game Options as Advanced Options.

Thank you so much, I guess I just missed it because I was just thinking it should've been under video options and didn't look at the last item on Game Options. Oy.

Stick foot in mouth for me, etc., but still hardly anyway to customize graphics. Hearing about the FPS that Galanthas and others are getting is kinda :/ though.

Haunted

Volcynika said:
Brightness, VSync, and Resolution. That's it.
That's pathetic. Better hope it runs flawlessly on your system, or there's nothing you can do about it!

hdn said they've spent quite a bit of time on the PC version, and while a settings options apparently wasn't on the list, here's hoping their optimisation is good at least. Eurogamer says it is, two GAFers say it isn't. Hm.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Volcynika said:

hmph...I was hoping to give this a tryo on pc but apparently I wont :/, if I wanted the 360version I'd buy it for my 360

Volcynika

Haunted said:
That's pathetic. Better hope it runs flawlessly on your system, or there's nothing you can do about it!

hdn said they've spent quite a bit of time on the PC version, and while a settings options apparently wasn't on the list, here's hoping their optimisation is good at least. Eurogamer says it is, two GAFers say it isn't. Hm.

Yeah, going to run through it tonight after work and see how my performance holds up. Have 1680x1050 resolution, Radeon HD 5850 video card, and I think a 2.6ghz quad core.

Does anyone know of how to find your FPS other than using something like FRAPs? I'm not familiar with FRAPs so I don't know how to use it and would prefer another option if possible.

Haunted

Volcynika said:
Yeah, going to run through it tonight after work and see how my performance holds up. Have 1680x1050 resolution, Radeon HD 5850 video card, and I think a 2.6ghz quad core.

Does anyone know of how to find your FPS other than using something like FRAPs? I'm not familiar with FRAPs so I don't know how to use it and would prefer another option if possible.
Fraps is terrible for benchmark purposes anyway, since it causes a major hit on your fps itself.

glaurung

I really liked the game on PS3 and I went as far as to get a platinum trophy for it.

Reading that the PC version looks like a lazy port, I am not too happy. I was hoping they'd add stuff, maybe let us play with War's original cyborg model and maybe add some other unlockable stuff.

Can anyone confirm or deny the presence of extra content? I mean software, not postcards in the game box.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Haunted said:
Fraps is terrible for benchmark purposes anyway, since it causes a major hit on your fps itself.
Fraps causes no FPS hit when benchmarking. The only time it causes an FPS hit is when it's recording video. He doesn't even need to benchmark anyways, all he needs in the FPS counter in the corner. Fraps is also ridiculously simple. Goddamn.

Draft

Stallion Free said:
Fraps causes no FPS hit when benchmarking. The only time it causes an FPS hit is when it's recording video. He doesn't even need to benchmark anyways, all he needs in the FPS counter in the corner. Fraps is also ridiculously simple. Goddamn.
:lol

I'm telling you, my faith in gamers dwindles by the day. Can't figure out fraps. Fucking fraps. You turn it on, it shows the FPS :lol

burgerdog

Does THQ not allow devs to put in graphic options in pc games? I think this and metro are their latest pc games and they are ultra limited.

Volcynika

Uh, I've never used fraps before, never had a need for it since the only thing I see people talking about it talk about recording things, so I didn't bother to look into it. Yeesh, you people jump to some insane assumptions. It was the only program I'd heard of when testing things like performances, but never had a need to actually use/download/install.

But hey that's GAF for you.

Draft

Volcynika said:
Uh, I've never used fraps before, never had a need for it since the only thing I see people talking about it talk about recording things, so I didn't bother to look into it. Yeesh, you people jump to some insane assumptions. It was the only program I'd heard of when testing things like performances, but never had a Ned to actually use.
God forbid you download the absolutely free trial version and install it before getting all derp a derp. Stop whining. Be smarter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Volcynika said:
Uh, I've never used fraps before, never had a need for it since the only thing I see people talking about it talk about recording things, so I didn't bother to look into it. Yeesh, you people jump to some insane assumptions. It was the only program I'd heard of when testing things like performances, but never had a need to actually use/download/install.

But hey that's GAF for you.
I wasn't jumping on you. I was jumping on the dude who was making up bullshit that would have turned you off the program. I mean his response to you had no basis in reality.

But hey, that's GAF for you.

Volcynika

Draft said:
God forbid you download the absolutely free trial version and install it before getting all derp a derp. Stop whining. Be smarter.

God forbid I ask a question while at work where I can't download it and test it. I wanted to ask before I went home so I can have an idea of what to do when I get settled. Acting like an ass because I just asked about a program I never used is just silly.

Draft

Volcynika said:
God forbid I ask a question while at work where I can't download it and test it. I wanted to ask before I went home so I can have an idea of what to do when I get settled. Acting like an ass because I just asked about a program I never used is just silly.
Here's what you do:

1. Be smarter.
2. Download fraps.
3. Install fraps.
4. Start fraps.
5. Play the game.

Volcynika

Draft said:
Here's what you do:

1. Be smarter.
2. Download fraps.
3. Install fraps.
4. Start fraps.
5. Play the game.

Gimme about 9 hours and I can go through your 'helpful' steps.

Asking questions for simple assistance seems harder than it should be.

Some shots (not mine) -

9.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/official-pc-screenshot-thread-/1108693?page=44

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Volcynika said:
Asking questions for simple assistance seems harder than it should be.
Yeah, it's fucked up how people give you the wrong answer.

Dear god, why the fuck can't the internet learn how to take a screen without ruining it with jpeg compression. Those shots look terrible because of it.

Haunted

Stallion Free said:
I wasn't jumping on you. I was jumping on the dude who was making up bullshit that would have turned you off the program. I mean his response to you had no basis in reality.

But hey, that's GAF for you.
Draft said:
:lol

I'm telling you, my faith in gamers dwindles by the day. Can't figure out fraps. Fucking fraps. You turn it on, it shows the FPS :lol
oy oy, I was thinking he was talking about recording (for some reason). My bad.

I was distracted watching those zany Bayonetta cutscenes here with one eye, gimme a break. :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just platinum'd the game.
Aerial Predator, the last trophy I was missing, was brutal.
I was really close to saying "fuck this shit" and forgetting about it forever (I like hunting for trophies when they are fun to get or are a nice excuse to play the game a bit differently, and this one was neither) when I had one near-perfect run and ended up with
186 kills
. I couldn't believe my eyes.
I doubt I'd bother getting an equivalent trophy in the sequel, though.

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, it's fucked up how people give you the wrong answer.

Dear god, why the fuck can't the internet learn how to take a screen without ruining it with jpeg compression. Those shots look terrible because of it.

Sorry for the ire in my response earlier though, man. Just a busy morning.

big_z

played up to the part where the xbox demo starts i think... or where you have to meet the demon that wants souls.

e8400
9800gtx
4GB ram

runs very smooth at 1280x1024

Volcynika said:
Eurgh.

When it was delayed to September I decided to buy it on 360 for cheap, which I was questioning as the right move due to impatience, but now it sounds like the right move.

It shouldn't be allowed to release a PC game that doesn't give you options like AA, AF etc.

mm04

I'm interested to hear more results and make sure to post your specs. I'm wondering if it's an ATI driver issue or something. It doesn't run horribly, but I'm getting a higher FPS average on Metro 2033 in Very High at 1440 x 900 than this game at 1920 x 1080. I was really expecting this to be a solid 60 FPS for me, but I suppose 30 FPS will have to do.

crimsonheadGCN said:
How big is the download for the game?

It's almost 10gb.

big_z

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eurgh.

When it was delayed to September I decided to buy it on 360 for cheap, which I was questioning as the right move due to impatience, but now it sounds like the right move.

It shouldn't be allowed to release a PC game that doesn't give you options like AA, AF etc.

yeah it doesnt look any different than the 360 version other than the ability to go to a higher resolution and have a higher frame rate. kinda wish it had live achievements.

Bebpo

Banned
The shots look better than the ps3/x360 version, but it sounds like the performance sucks and the game will be buggy. Bleh, how did they spend this long porting the game and still have it be a messy port.

Oh wait, this is THQ? The same THQ that published the unplayable PC port of Saints Row 2?

ajim

Bought it the other day, played the initial opening sequence and haven't gone back to yet because I'm still in love with Monster Hunter Tri. BUT, from what I played I enjoyed, and looking forward to getting back into it sometime.

Top Bottom