• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

corrosivefrost said:
My buddy offered me his, but THQ told me to eat a dick.

I gave a friend of mine my 360 copy after I beat it and he has that copy of Red Faction Guerrilla sitting on his game rack. And the DVD art book sucked pretty hard when we went through it. Mostly a bunch of promotional art with, "DARKSIDERS! OMFG BUY ME!" all over a ton of the art. There were a few stand outs but nothing too crazy.

brain_stew said:
Honestly if the game is delivering 60fps @ 1080p with a 4870/GTX 260 then I'm hardly going to lose sleep over a lack of graphics options that I'd have no use for anyway. Seems the port gets rid of the God awful tearing, doubles the framerate and lets you run at a nice resolution rather than fugly subHD mode on pretty mediocre hardware. Works for me.

Edit: Some nice screens over at Pcgameshardware.de

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,7...piel/Test/bildergalerie/?iid=1437500&vollbild

Thanks for this ...looks like I'm back on board for the PC version then!

Click

Banned
If you order the PC version from THQ, you get a bunch of goodies:

THQ-Store-Darksiders-Promo-723x245.jpg

However, the shipping is $11 and there is also tax. So the final price is a little over $50 for everything. Hopefully there'll be a sale on the PC version soon. Thinking about picking this game up...

Salsa

Loving the game, but does anyone know how i can play this properly with a Dual Shock 2 controller ? im having trouble with the right analog stick, camera is fixed in a weird position and i cant seem to move it.

PC version of course.

Salsa

Some PC screenshots:

3hURO.jpg

rBJja.jpg

QTD0j.jpg

Keep in mind that my specs are:

e7200@2.53
9600gt 512ddr3
2GB ram
Win 7 64

Pretty much a mid-end rig, so those screenshots arent taken at optimal settings. Performance is 45-60fps (mostly 60 with the occasional drop).

=

Perfectly playable without a monster rig :D

edit: oops double post, fixed the Dual Shock issue posted above.

Bebpo

Banned
Bought the PC version and played a bit. Looks really nice. Very sharp, no jaggies, great textures everywhere. I kind of prefer this type of no-lighting but smooth and clean look over fancy shaders everywhere. Plus you get better performance with these types :p

Runs pretty well. Bases at 60fps but drops when there's action, particles (I'm actually kind of impressed how many objects are flying around at times). Probably 30-60fps generally for me @ 1080p, but that's still better than I'd get out of the console versions and with a sharper/cleaner look, so pretty happy with it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Volcynika said:
Apparently there was a Harvest Scythe weapon you could get from inputting a code on the PS3/360 versions, but that option doesn't appear to be available on the PC version...hm.

It's not a big loss if you can't unlock it. It was just a reskin of the normal scythe with a small soul collection bonus.

Len Dontree said:
Thanks. I already have Red Faction so no biggie, though the art book would've been a nice bonus. Ah well!

It was a digital art book btw. I think I popped it into my computer for 5 minutes before taking it back out.

pyros

man this game is addictive, looks nice and the controls are perfect, just finished chapter 2

SalsaShark said:
Loving the game, but does anyone know how i can play this properly with a Dual Shock 2 controller ? im having trouble with the right analog stick, camera is fixed in a weird position and i cant seem to move it.

PC version of course.

try this, xinput, i had the same problem with my logitec dual gamepad, this fixed it for me, i got it from this thread, i'm using the earlier version with the three files

Carm

Well 8 hours in, at The Hollows, playing on Apocalyptic difficulty(still to easy) the framerate has gotten better. That may be because I'm mostly indoors though, at or near 60 with vsync on indoors for the most part, drops to 40's in really heavy combat. Quite a bit lower outdoors. I wish I could just lock the framerate at 30, less fluctuations. The game really should not be dipping below 30fps with the recommended specs it has though. There seems to be a memory leak in the game, after a couple of hours, it was stuttering like mad. Hopefully they end up patching the game, there is a lot of major bugs listed in the readme file.

With all the complaining about performance, that I'm gonna do, out of the way, the game has so far been a blast and everything I had hoped it would be. I had a good laugh when a certain voice sounded awful familiar, that turned out to be correct. Amusing how close it is to the other character he plays. The only gameplay issues that is, not so much bad, but disappointing is the "challenge rooms" content filler, don't care for those. Also the manual aiming for boomarang is awful slow, I adjusted the sensitiviy but that only makes the cursor itself move faster, not actual turning. Switching between locked on targets isn't great either, but that is easily worked around. Besides all of that, everything has been great.

System specs are

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2Ghz
Memory 4.00 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Win7 64bit

I was gonna upgrade to a AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz this month but emergency vet bills got in the way. Hopefully by the end of the year now, then start saving for those octal-core sandy bridge cpus coming out later next year, or whatever they are heh.

mm04

^ What resolution are you running at? I suppose it might be a little processor dependant as your video card is better than mine (5770 CrossFire disabled), but I have an X4 955 @ 3.6ghz. I get over 70 FPS most of the time, but I used D3DOverrider for triple buffering and v-sync to keep it at a solid 60 FPS at 1080p.

It is a pretty awesome game, though. It was one of those games that when it came out, I wanted to try it, but was too busy with RL stuff. Then I bought a gaming PC and when I saw it was announced for PC, got excited. I'm glad I waited, even though you can buy a used copy for like $15 for consoles. I'd rather pay $40 and get the superior experience out of it.

Carm

mm04 said:
^ What resolution are you running at? I suppose it might be a little processor dependant as your video card is better than mine (5770 CrossFire disabled), but I have an X4 955 @ 3.6ghz. I get over 70 FPS most of the time, but I used D3DOverrider for triple buffering and v-sync to keep it at a solid 60 FPS at 1080p.

It is a pretty awesome game, though. It was one of those games that when it came out, I wanted to try it, but was too busy with RL stuff. Then I bought a gaming PC and when I saw it was announced for PC, got excited. I'm glad I waited, even though you can buy a used copy for like $15 for consoles. I'd rather pay $40 and get the superior experience out of it.

1680x1050, and it being processor dependent possibly, is what bugs me when the recommended specs are so low, it shouldn't have issues maintaining a constant 30fps. It really is a great game so far, sans the "challenge rooms" those are to gamey for me.

rallyart

Neo Member
Galanthas said:
1680x1050, and it being processor dependent possibly, is what bugs me when the recommended specs are so low, it shouldn't have issues maintaining a constant 30fps. It really is a great game so far, sans the "challenge rooms" those are to gamey for me.

Probably is your processor, because Im using a gtx 275 and i7 920, same resolution, and its running at 60 fps locked, also update your VGA drivers to the latest (260.63).

Carm

rallyart said:
Probably is your processor, because Im using a gtx 275 and i7 920, same resolution, and its running at 60 fps locked, also update your VGA drivers to the latest (260.63).

That's the problem though, the recommended is an outright lie if I can't even sustain 30fps locked in parts of the games, this is what irritates me. I had thought it being 2010, publishers/developers stopped listing recommended specs that were closer to minimum specs. My cpu isn't that bad, and I've ran games that have looked far better than Darksiders with a better framerate.

Recommeneded specs on store page:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
Memory: 2GB XP, 3GB Vista / Windows 7

Video Card: NVIDIA (GeForce GTS 240) 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD3870 256MB graphics card or better ( must support pixel shader 3 )

My system is across the board better than the recommended, no excuse for drops below 30fps, and no it's not my drivers, using the same driver you listed, other games are fine. I'm not asking for miracles here of 60fps locked, but this shit shouldn't be dropping below 30 this much, if at all.

KevinCow

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ugh, so overpriced. Guess I'll still hold off for a price drop.

The fuck. I paid more than $50 and didn't get any of that stuff, and I thought it was priced just fine. It's an awesome game.

Speaking of not getting any of that stuff despite getting the game day 1, hdn I'll totally be your best friend if you get me that hardcover book and cloth map. <3

KevinCow said:
The fuck. I paid more than $50 and didn't get any of that stuff, and I thought it was priced just fine. It's an awesome game.

Speaking of not getting any of that stuff despite getting the game day 1, hdn I'll totally be your best friend if you get me that hardcover book and cloth map. <3

Having to wait this long for it when it's easily found for half the price or almost a third of the price if you add up the final cost for the version on their site is pretty much bullshit and justified in bitching at over $11 shipping being the cheapest option to order it.

I tried the demo of the PC version over OnLive. I went into it only knowing that the main character was an Arthas ripoff and that it was more like Zelda than God of War, so needless to say, the opening scene was kind of a "Holy Shit!" kind of moment. Anyway, playing the demo has convinced me that I'm going to have to invest in a proper gaming mouse sometime or other.

Salsa

So i fixed the controller issues through xinput, but now i have the weirdest problem ever. Apparently when i play with a controller the cutscenes (just the cutscenes) become choppy, and video/audio gets out of sync. Wtf :/

Gaogaogao

cooljeanius said:
I tried the demo of the PC version over OnLive. I went into it only knowing that the main character was an Arthas ripoff and that it was more like Zelda than God of War, so needless to say, the opening scene was kind of a "Holy Shit!" kind of moment. Anyway, playing the demo has convinced me that I'm going to have to invest in a proper gaming mouse sometime or other.
wait, this game convinced you to get a mouse? not a 360 controller?

Gaogaogao

SalsaShark said:
So i fixed the controller issues through xinput, but now i have the weirdest problem ever. Apparently when i play with a controller the cutscenes (just the cutscenes) become choppy, and video/audio gets out of sync. Wtf :/
I really hope they fix this game. what did they spend all year doing again?

mm04

Gaogaogao said:
I really hope they fix this game. what did they spend all year doing again?

I'm not having any performance issues with the game at all, now that I've disabled CrossFire. So I'm not sure what needs to be fixed. I'm so glad I waited for the PC version, although it's on sale used at Gamefly for $12.99 for 360 with free shipping.

Plays perfectly with a wired 360 controller and it looks fantastic at 1080p @ 60 FPS. I'm about 4 hours in and am having a great time with it.

mm04 said:
I'm not having any performance issues with the game at all, now that I've disabled CrossFire. So I'm not sure what needs to be fixed. I'm so glad I waited for the PC version, although it's on sale used at Gamefly for $12.99 for 360 with free shipping.

Plays perfectly with a wired 360 controller and it looks fantastic at 1080p @ 60 FPS. I'm about 4 hours in and am having a great time with it.

Really have to echo this. Game runs quite well and I'm enjoying it immensely. So glad I waited.

*echo that shit*

DonMigs85

Carm said:
That's the problem though, the recommended is an outright lie if I can't even sustain 30fps locked in parts of the games, this is what irritates me. I had thought it being 2010, publishers/developers stopped listing recommended specs that were closer to minimum specs. My cpu isn't that bad, and I've ran games that have looked far better than Darksiders with a better framerate.

Recommeneded specs on store page:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.60Ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Dual Core 2.13Ghz
Memory: 2GB XP, 3GB Vista / Windows 7

Video Card: NVIDIA (GeForce GTS 240) 256MB graphics card or better, ATI Radeon HD3870 256MB graphics card or better ( must support pixel shader 3 )

My system is across the board better than the recommended, no excuse for drops below 30fps, and no it's not my drivers, using the same driver you listed, other games are fine. I'm not asking for miracles here of 60fps locked, but this shit shouldn't be dropping below 30 this much, if at all.
Consider the Phenom II X6 1075T or even the 1055T if your mobo can take it. Not much more expensive than the X4 you were planning on and more future-proof.

Carm

DonMigs85 said:
Consider the Phenom II X6 1075T or even the 1055T if your mobo can take it. Not much more expensive than the X4 you were planning on and more future-proof.

My motherboard is: M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition. With just a bios update I can plug that quad core in with zero issues. Doesn't support the cpus you list. That quad core is cheap and quick 140 buck + heatsink cost upgrade to get a little bit more performance out of this old motherboard before completely switching to an Intel setup late next year. I wouldn't even think of upgrading at all till I do a total revamp but with all the console ports out needing quad cores to play at comfortable framerate levels I don't know if I can last till late next year with these sub 30fps games.

DonMigs85

Carm said:
My motherboard is: M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition. With just a bios update I can plug that quad core in with zero issues. Doesn't support the cpus you list. That quad core is cheap and quick 140 buck + heatsink cost upgrade to get a little bit more performance out of this old motherboard before completely switching to an Intel setup late next year. I wouldn't even think of upgrading at all till I do a total revamp but with all the console ports out needing quad cores to play at comfortable framerate levels I don't know if I can last till late next year with these sub 30fps games.
Intel? Consider Bulldozer too, it could be something great.

big_z

finished this game last night. it's not bad but i wasnt as impressed as i expected after hearing all the hype on rebelFM and so on. you can really see where they're borrowing ideas from other games but it's best described as a zelda game with all the side stuff stripped out. really got tired of the constant magic demon walls forcing you to fight every other room. games need to move past that crap.

Danielsan

So I just took this game out of its shrink wrap after having it on my shelf for god knows how long. Is this game's performance supposed to be this piss poor? I have the 360 version and I'm probably still playing the intro but the frame rate is stuttering like crazy. It's not even just slowdown, it's really stuttering...
If so consider me shocked because this game is anything but a looker.

KevinCow

Banned
Danielsan said:
So I just took this game out of its shrink wrap after having it on my shelf for god knows how long. Is this game's performance supposed to be this piss poor? I have the 360 version and I'm probably still playing the intro but the frame rate is stuttering like crazy. It's not even just slowdown, it's really stuttering...

It runs better once you get past the intro. I don't remember it being that bad, though.

tjohn86

Just beat this game on my 360. One of my favorite games this year. I don't really mind it ripped off a bunch of games... they did it well.

Danielsan

KevinCow said:
It runs better once you get past the intro. I don't remember it being that bad, though.
You're right. It runs significantly better past the intro (maybe installing helped too?). Still not entirely pleased with the frame rate at times, but at least it stopped stuttering during action.

I'm now about 3 and a half hours, so yeah, this game is a lot like Zelda and I'm really digging it. :lol
Made it to the boss of the first "temple". :D

I really tried to like this. The art was pretty good, the game itself not so much. Didn't bother finishing as I got bored / pissed off with it (around Black Throne?)

360 version played if anyone cares.

forrest

formerly nacire
I still don't get the hate people have for the Black Throne, I thought it was lengthy, well designed and offered a nice variety in how the puzzles worked in the three wings.

mm04

nacire said:
I still don't get the hate people have for the Black Throne, I thought it was lengthy, well designed and offered a nice variety in how the puzzles worked in the three wings.

I'm in the Black Throne now. It does require some thinking and an awareness of your environment, but I'm having fun with it. I've destroyed 2
of the robots
so far. I'm enjoying the game and glad I waited for the PC version. It's a pretty good looking game and 60 FPS is always nice.

Sagitario

I loved Black Throne.

Danielsan said:

Did you download the patch?

mm04 said:
I'm in the Black Throne now. It does require some thinking and an awareness of your environment, but I'm having fun with it. I've destroyed 2
of the robots
so far. I'm enjoying the game and glad I waited for the PC version. It's a pretty good looking game and 60 FPS is always nice.
I'm EXACTLY at the same point. Funny. Won't be playing again until monday but I really want to finish it soon. Maybe shouldn't have played on Apocalyptic on the first run since the combat can be pretty shitty, but I'm a trophy whore so what can I do. I often feel that the fights are cheap and there is just no way to not get hit, but maybe I just suck at it.

TheRefresher

Neo Member
I just picked up the PS3 version from Sam's Club for $15. My copy came with the "Do Not Discard" code slip, which I assume is for a free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla. I assume that this deal has expired, but does anyone know for certain? I can't seem to find any page at darksiders.com to enter the code.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TheRefresher said:
I just picked up the PS3 version from Sam's Club for $15. My copy came with the "Do Not Discard" code slip, which I assume is for a free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla. I assume that this deal has expired, but does anyone know for certain? I can't seem to find any page at darksiders.com to enter the code.

Yeah it's long expired. It was only available for a couple months after launch.

I did a RTTP to pick up where I left off on it about 5 months ago. Coming back with fresh eyes this game is amazing. There is such an attention to detail in the world, effects, and animation that many games (like Enslaved for example) don't manage.

The cutscenes are superb and I personally love the voice acting. The design of the game is also stellar. It is very difficult to put together a Zelda like game and Nintendo can't even do it with 100% success. Darksiders is an excellent variation on the Zelda design style.

I finished the game on the weekend.

Darksiders doesn't get near the credit it actually deserves. The game really is excellent on all of its fronts. Levels are interesting, progression is well paced, combat system is as deep as the player is willing to invest, the interaction with the puzzles is well done, music and sound is top notch, and the attention to detail in all of the art, especially the characters and effects, is fantastic.

It is one thing to copy a FPS, but another to attempt a replication of the design of Zelda and combine it with the combat feel of God of War or Devil May Cry, while channelling elements of Portal and Shadow of the Collosus.

Of the games I've played this year I really do think it is in the top 5. The success of the design work alone puts it there and for me it sits beside Vanquish, Limbo, Reach, and Alan Wake at the top for 2010.

I recommend anyone who likes action adventure games to play it.

Ledsen

Warm Machine said:
I finished the game on the weekend.

Darksiders doesn't get near the credit it actually deserves. The game really is excellent on all of its fronts. Levels are interesting, progression is well paced, combat system is as deep as the player is willing to invest, the interaction with the puzzles is well done, music and sound is top notch, and the attention to detail in all of the art, especially the characters and effects, is fantastic.

It is one thing to copy a FPS, but another to attempt a replication of the design of Zelda and combine it with the combat feel of God of War or Devil May Cry, while channelling elements of Portal and Shadow of the Collosus.

Of the games I've played this year I really do think it is in the top 5. The success of the design work alone puts it there and for me it sits beside Vanquish, Limbo, Reach, and Alan Wake at the top for 2010.

I recommend anyone who likes action adventure games to play it.

Well it sold well and is nearly unanimously praised, what more do you want :lol

yencid

Have we heard nothing new on DS2 yet? I know they said they where working on it but any news? I loved the ending to this and want MORE

Ledsen said:
Well it sold well and is nearly unanimously praised, what more do you want :lol

More the credit from players. Read through this thread and there are enough people claiming it has poor design and is boring.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Warm Machine said:
More the credit from players. Read through this thread and there are enough people claiming it has poor design and is boring.

Can't fool all of the people all of the time. Terrible game, most overrated title of 2010, IMO.

Top Bottom