• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ashhong

They are duo and work together from the start. Not someone who came after principle photography and doing pickups as a favor to a friend.

Ah ok, so that's ok. You just cant come on later in the production and be credited unless you're a sibling. Still odd.

J_Viper

Lmao WB can't catch a break with Will delaying SS2.

In other news, Big Ben is lining up his next directorial project and he's getting his little bro to lead it

Maybe that's what Casey was talking about. Ben's doing this movie instead of Batman

Why is Henry credited?

He directed the reshoots

Ah ok, so that's ok. You just cant come on later in the production and be credited unless you're a sibling. Still odd.

I believe it's a DGA thing to prevent studios from taking an already-shot film from a director or to prevent a producer/executive from rising too high.

There's a whole thing about the idea behind a "one director per film" on the DGA blog.

It was precisely this type of credit confusion that the DGA managed to avoid by having the 1978 agreement specifically state that there would be only one director to a project. Over the last few decades, the single director to a film rule has protected directors from having the will of someone else, be it a producer, writer, actor or another, from imposing themselves on the director's role.

There were exceptions built into the single-director clause of the 1978 agreement — there could be more than one director for different segments of a multi-storied or multi-lingual film (e.g., New York Stories and Tora! Tora! Tora!), for different segments of a multi-part closed-end television series (e.g., Roots or Band of Brothers), assignment of a second unit director or any especially skilled director (e.g., underwater or aerial work) and for a "bona fide team."

Director Elliot Silverstein, chair of the 1978 Creative Rights Negotiating Committee, recalled that "Our concern was that the use of more than one director (and if two why not three or four, etc.?) would lead to the producer becoming an über director and the director(s) becoming messengers. We did not want the Guild's members to be involved in a 'piece goods' profession, blurring individual vision, authority and credit."

There's a whole explanation there.

Ross61

Lmao WB can't catch a break with Will delaying SS2.

In other news, Big Ben is lining up his next directorial project and he's getting his little bro to lead it

Maybe that's what Casey was talking about. Ben's doing this movie instead of Batman

He directed the reshoots
SS2 wasn't coming soon anyway when they haven't even found a director.

So I found out yesterday that two of my students think Suicide Squad was an "awesome" movie. "The Best." I really feel like a failure this morning.

So I found out yesterday that two of my students think Suicide Squad was an "awesome" movie. "The Best." I really feel like a failure this morning.

you should fail those students. or make them watch batman v superman and logan and write a makeup essay about why those movies matter in the post-mcu comic book genre.

and if they don't agree, get them suspended.

Well I teach at a private school, so I'll just give them A's and tell them they're awesome. Then go home and cry.

What you do is, you give them an A, then, in a private moment, lean in and whisper to them that they're everything that's wrong with the world and they're destroying the country.

Then deny ever doing so.

George Miller's Justice League would have been baller. i kinda hate a lot of the casting (though Batman, Wally and Martian Manhunter were such good choices), but man it would have been pretty damn exhilarating to see what the guy behind Babe 2 and the Mad Max series would bring to the DC universe (going all in on the comic book fuckery too)

the action scenes this guy would have come up with....

oh well. in its death we got an action classic from him a few years later anyways.

Penguin

Maybe we're old or not "with it" but I have meant quite a few people who enjoy Suicide Squad.

it also resonated with a lot of females in my experience.

Maybe we're old or not "with it" but I have meant quite a few people who enjoy Suicide Squad.

it also resonated with a lot of females in my experience.

Same here, It really appealed to the female demo, even those who never cared for CBM's I guess the Harley/Joker "relationship", for better or worse, played a part in it

ReiGun

I hate to be one of those people that acts like online and "irl" are two separate things, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...the only place I've encountered the intense, burning hatred of Suicide Squad that some have is in online circles. Most people I talk to either thought it was just okay or really enjoyed it.

For me, I think it's pretty bad, but not in any particularly noteworthy way. It's like the Death Note movie. Nerds (especially the weebs) spent all weekend promising me that thing was some abortion of filmmaking. Then I queued it up on Netflix and all I got was an unremarkable bad teen movie.

Part of me feels like the reaction in both cases was due to audience expectation heightening the reception: Death Note carrying the stigma of being adapted from a popular anime (which have never been good aside from Speed Racer) and Suicide Squad coming off the back of BvS and its own poor reviews. Neither movie is good, but not in the world-ending way their detractors would have one believe.

Penguin

Hot take: his Joker wasn't bad. The look was the only real problem with it.

I don't think his Joker was good or bad, I really didn't have enough time with him to get a read.

I hate to be one of those people that acts like online and "irl" are two separate things, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...the only place I've encountered the intense, burning hatred of Suicide Squad that some have is in online circles. Most people I talk to either thought it was just okay or really enjoyed it.

For me, I think it's pretty bad, but not in any particularly noteworthy way. It's like the Death Note movie. Nerds (especially the weebs) spent all weekend promising me that thing was some abortion of filmmaking. Then I queued it up on Netflix and all I got was an unremarkable bad teen movie.

Part of me feels like the reaction in both cases was due to audience expectation heightening the reception: Death Note carrying the stigma of being adapted from a popular anime (which have never been good aside from Speed Racer) and Suicide Squad coming off the back of BvS and its own poor reviews. Neither movie is good, but not in the world-ending way their detractors would have one believe.

Death Note is a GRAND example of something that is amplified simply by being part of the nerd online culture. Like I don't think I've met anyone at work who has actually watched it or care to, but imagine if they did would come away with it just being a forgettable movie and not this trainwreck some make it out to be.

Granted, I think it's a bad movie but I think it's a bad movie in the way bad movies are bad... weak characters, terrible structure, no real central narrative... not because Light wasn't the same char from the anime bad

Penguin

And stealing from OT

batman_justice_league_part_one_4k_8k-wide.jpg

wonder_woman_justice_league_part_one_hd_5k-wide.jpg

aquaman_justice_league_part_one_hd_5k-wide.jpg

the_flash_justice_league_hd_5k-wide.jpg

cyborg_justice_league_hd_5k-wide.jpg

justice_league_4k_8k-HD.jpg

http://batman-news.com/2017/08/31/j...-flash-and-cyborg-come-together-in-4k-images/

a916

Hot take: his Joker wasn't bad. The look was the only real problem with it.

In better hands, Leto's joker should've have been great.

I'm 100% certain all this boils down to the 6 week writing... that doomed everything. Better script and direction and I'm confident Leto has the talent to knock it out of the park. To say he can't do it is being ignorant of his talents.

I still think the biggest problem were his mannerisms, which are likely all on Leto. I don't need a Joker who looks like he's nodding out on his own supply half the time.

Ross61

It seems so unlike Hollywood Reporter to just run a whole article without hardly any details or concrete stuff but here we are. Of course WB would like to have Leo play Joker. They'd love if Spielberg could direct the next Justice League or GLC. Both these things have a 99.9% chance of never happening. It just seems that they're going off of lunch talk and running to the presses.

a916

It seems so unlike Hollywood Reporter to just run a whole article without hardly any details or concrete stuff but here we are. Of course WB would like to have Leo play Joker. They'd love if Spielberg could direct the next Justice League or GLC. Both these things have a 99.9% chance of never happening. It just seems that they're going off of lunch talk and running to the presses.

I'm curious what it would take for Spielberg to come on board. He's not above making huge block buster movies. Given enough freedom, why not?

Ninjimbo

I'm curious what it would take for Spielberg to come on board. He's not above making huge block buster movies. Given enough freedom, why not?
His own interests probably. Idk but Spielberg strikes me as the type that doesn't care about superheroes even though he did call The Dark Knight a work of art.

I think the ship has sailed on Spielberg directing a superhero movie. He likely has a list of projects he'd like to do before it's too late. We're talking about a potential range of films from biopics to blockbusters. If he was just doing blockbusters, maybe.

Beautiful part of the Elseworlds concept is it allows filmmakers like Spielberg or Jeff Nichols to do a wild take on the material, unbounded by having to make a franchise or tie into a larger cinematic universe.

Say, what if Spielberg directed Superman Secret Identity.

Ross61

Jeff Nichols could come back on and do a DC project now that he doesn't have to be tied down to a moving cinematic universe.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure these are in the movie, too.
Oh I know, but it's in the wave 2 of figures which include the rest of the main cast, so it MIGHT still be using stuff from the actual movie. That's the only reason I posted it. I'm fully aware of the shitty 3rd gen+ neon colored figures.

Top Bottom