• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ahasverus

zx5n94rqqha62uh4kkii.gif

Why are we doubting Snyder's love for fanservice?

The black suit is totally in.

Loxley

Didn't Cavill straight-up post a photo on Instagram last year of what appeared to be the black suit? It's not exactly a big secret.

Saw the JL trailer at the Dome Imax theater in Charlotte NC. Looked great. I think I'll have to get my second watch there.

It came on before Dunkirk.... Which also looked fantastic on a real dome Imax.

tim1138

At some point tomorrow Wonder Woman should pass Iron Man 3 to become the the 5th highest domestic grossing superhero movie of all time.

At some point tomorrow Wonder Woman should pass Iron Man 3 to become the the 5th highest domestic grossing superhero movie of all time.

That'll likely change with Avengers 3 or possibly even JL. What is impressive is being third highest solo movie after Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises. Unless Black Panther has a similarly insane run as Wonder Woman, that's a milestone that'll hold for some time considering the state of superhero movies.

Ahasverus

The worst sin Black Panther can commit is feeling preachy.

WW worked because while it was empowering, it never positioned itself as an ultra feminist manifesto. If BP is all about the white man being evil and the uber black civilization being all that's right with the world, we're in for a media circus like no other, amplified by recent US events.

ReiGun

The worst sin Black Panther can commit is feeling preachy.

WW worked because while it was empowering, it never positioned itself as an ultra feminist manifesto. If BP is all about the white man being evil and the uber black civilization being all that's right with the world, we're in for a media circus like no other, amplified by recent US events.

Ironically, this part was why a lot of people early on didn't like it. It was either too feminist (insomuch that it starred a women and showed her being stronger and more capable than men) or not feminist enough (not enough time on the island, not enough women of color). The latter had more salient points than the former, to be sure, but I think that dynamic overall shows what a thin line you walk with these things. Wonder Woman handled it well, but there's always going to be those you can't please..

Black Panther will have a similar line to walk. The name plus the fact that it stars mostly black people with a white antagonist means certain types are going to be set off regardless of the film itself. I don't think that will be enough to hinder the movie's success either way.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda bums me out that movie Flash doesn't have the yellow lightning. Also, I HATE those yellow lines all over comicbook Flash.

Sambrez_

Beautiful screenshots, you captured them yourself ?
The sword moment between Flash and WW is one of the best moment of the trailer, with Aquaman surfing on a parademon.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's something about the JL cowl that's been bugging me since day 1.

Why are the ears so big? And why are they pointing slightly outwards? BvS cowl was damn near perfect, why ruin it?

Busty

Banned
There were rumours that Amazon were kicking the tires on the TV series Scalped, based on the Vertigo comics, after WGN passed on it.

Apparently Geoff Johns has started following Roy Price, head of Amazon Studios, on Twitter so there may be something to that talk after all.

I'm not sure what else it could be unless it's something unannounced or maybe that 'Pennyworth' series is out of development hell.

Ross61

There were rumours that Amazon were kicking the tires on the TV series Scalped, based on the Vertigo comics, after WGN passed on it.

Apparently Geoff Johns has started following Roy Price, head of Amazon Studios, on Twitter so there may be something to that talk after all.

I'm not sure what else it could be unless it's something unannounced or maybe that 'Pennyworth' series is out of development hell.
They were rumors that DC/WB were going to enter some sort of partnership with Amazon before the news of the digital service came out 🤔

Ahasverus

DC has a goldmine of characters in its imprints. That's where the focus should be in. Use the big names to anchor the universe, but introduce new daring IPs.

Sad to think that Sandman movie vanished once JGL left it. I'm not into DC making its own streaming service but had they partnered with Amazon, Netflix, HBO, FX, whatever. I'd make for a good mini-series.

Ross61

Joker "origin" movie is a garbage idea by default, nobody wins with a movie like that.

No idea garbage with the right execution. A cite 100 superheroes as evidence.

And I'm so on with idea of a DC streaming service especially after CN keeps screwing them over.

If you want Vertigo movies, then go be a talented director and pitch it to them. Otherwise you're gonna have to settle for the small screen. And tbh I prefer that for most Vertigo series. Not one I can think of that would work well on screen.

Ironically, this part was why a lot of people early on didn't like it. It was either too feminist (insomuch that it starred a women and showed her being stronger and more capable than men) or not feminist enough (not enough time on the island, not enough women of color). The latter had more salient points than the former, to be sure, but I think that dynamic overall shows what a thin line you walk with these things. Wonder Woman handled it well, but there's always going to be those you can't please..

Black Panther will have a similar line to walk. The name plus the fact that it stars mostly black people with a white antagonist means certain types are going to be set off regardless of the film itself. I don't think that will be enough to hinder the movie's success either way.

I thoought when WW was going to come out there would be a massive outrage... but I didn't see any just praise really (apart from the drafthouse thing).I think marvel is going to avoid being preachy and play it straight like Warners did with WW.

The main villain is t'challas brother though.

ReiGun

Interesting how just recently people are starting to comment how needlessly contentious and negative OT comic threads are.

Not like some of us have been saying that for a while now. ��

I thoought when WW was going to come out there would be a massive outrage... but I didn't see any just praise really (apart from the drafthouse thing).I think marvel is going to avoid being preachy and play it straight like Warners did with WW.

The main villain is t'challas brother though.

The main thing is what qualifies as "preachy." For many, it's "marginalized groups doing stuff." Wonder Woman had those detractors, but they were drowned out by the ground swell of support. Black Panther will hopefully get the same.

Forgot about Killmonger. Still, I could see some latching onto Ross and Klaw as examples of the movie trying to make white people look inferior. Which will likely be a stretch, but that's how these things go.

Ahasverus

The main thing is what qualifies as "preachy." For many, it's "marginalized groups doing stuff." Wonder Woman had those detractors, but they were drowned out by the ground swell of support. Black Panther will hopefully get the same.

Forgot about Killmonger. Still, I could see some latching onto Ross and Klaw as examples of the movie trying to make white people look inferior. Which will likely be a stretch, but that's how these things go.

Nah fam. Preachy means using the natural minority nature of the work as attack to the "status quo".

I don't remember who said this well, but in Wonder Woman, when No man's land happens, there's a line of dialogue where Steve tells her something like "No Diana, it's no man's land, no man can do anything to save them". Diana doesn't turn and say "I'm no man" ergo, implying it's minority traits brings her and advantage over the others. That could have worked to make women feel empowered but at the same time it would "alienate" men, creating a division between them and the character.

But that doesn't happen, Diana only says "it's what I'm going to do". Boom, every woman, man and dog on earth feels good and the character communicates its message.

That's what I mean with not being preachy, Black Panther has the same responsibility, it will either turn into Black people vs White people or will just... Be a movie everyone relates to.

Here's hoping, because the general reception falls on that. If it does become a race pic, it will suffer backslash and underperform.

To me Black Panther's core idea appears to be internationalism vs. isolationism (and possibly nationalism). There's certainly space there to get into touchier topics, which I'm all for. I'm really excited to see what Coogler has done with it.

ReiGun

Comic movie threads or just comic threads in general? Because it's all kinda bad.
Movie threads. I haven't read threads for actual comics in a while.

Nah fam. Preachy means using the natural minority nature of the work as attack to the "status quo".

I don't remember who said this well, but in Wonder Woman, when No man's land happens, there's a line of dialogue where Steve tells her something like "No Diana, it's no man's land, no man can do anything to save them". Diana doesn't turn and say "I'm no man" ergo, implying it's minority traits brings her and advantage over the others. That could have worked to make women feel empowered but at the same time it would "alienate" men, creating a division between them and the character.

But that doesn't happen, Diana only says "it's what I'm going to do". Boom, every woman, man and dog on earth feels good and the character communicates its message.

That's what I mean with not being preachy, Black Panther has the same responsibility, it will either turn into Black people vs White people or will just... Be a movie everyone relates to.

Here's hoping, because the general reception falls on that. If it does become a race pic, it will suffer backslash and underperform.
I got that. What I'm saying is the groups you're talking about are going to find movies like Wonder Woman and Black Panther preachy are going to do so regardless. Cause it's not the preachiness (or lack thereof) of the movies that actually bothers them; it's minorities doing stuff really well.

I don't think there's any serious worry that a Marvel Studios production is going to full Spike Jones on us. People's concerns about the film's reception are because we know how people act when Black people are centered in popular media. The bar for being considered a "race pic" is really low. That said, it may not matter at all. Get Out was a film explicitly about race and was very "preachy" in the way you describe it, and it was still one of the biggest successes of the year.

Top Bottom