• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Ashhong

By offering a reading that completely goes against the spirit of the work it's based on?

tenor.gif

Can someone please elaborate on what Snyder did wrong with Watchmen? People always say that he missed the point or something.

I think it's hilarious people in the Star Wars teaser thread are complaining about people judging the film before it comes out. Geee, really?

Can someone please elaborate on what Snyder did wrong with Watchmen? People always say that he missed the point or something.

Some hate the fact it's not colorful like the comic... nevermind the fact I would never want to see a movie with the bold colors of the comic.

Some don't like that he ignored a lot of the political and meta narratives. But... otherwise it was a great film. I think he did the best anyone could have done, really.

But you know how it goes... opinions and assholes and all that.

If we're being real, part of it comes from sharing videos and articles about how it missed the point rather than arriving at the conclusion naturally.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the movie (and not huge on the book either, though it's certainly better) but it ain't an indie production. Problem from the jump was making an over $100mil movie on Watchmen. Not enough time to cover it all, plus the need to give it blockbuster appeal with action scenes for what is a story bereft of action. Warners probably would've made it regardless and Snyder at least did an amicable job with it. But Snyder was too faithful in adapting a book into a movie that needed to be wildly different or not a movie in the first place.

Ninjimbo

To elaborate more on what BlackGoku said, critics also like to complain about the 'coolness' of the action scenes and how the ending missed a crucial point of the comic. On top of that, you have people who said Zack made Rorschach the hero.

Some of the criticism seems like a misreading of the film to me, but some of it is level headed like how badly the film bungles the ending but...well opinions.

As someone that read the comic before I saw the movie, the film is an admirable effort.

Ashhong

Hm I don't think that's what I was thinking of. I've read criticisms of him missing the point of the comic, and all this deep shit that I never really understood. Made no sense to me lol

Bleepey

By offering a reading that completely goes against the spirit of the work it's based on?

tenor.gif

Nope people just really wanted to see squids. Every time i see people highlight their criticism of the Watchmen ending doesn't hold up to scrutiny. So you mean to tell me a unprecedented terrorist attack on NYC (
9/11)
led to all the world's powers uniting
(war in Afghanistan)
against the greater evil
(Taliban and Al Qaeda)
that they kinda created
(OBL and the Taliban in their Afghanistan proxy war with Russia)
? You know what, that sounds inconceivable!

Saw the JL trailer in front of Fast and Furious, they better have the aspect ratio for the final film worked out cause if I have to watch the whole movie like that, I'll be one unhappy camper.

What's with the aspect ratio?

Basically the mid-point between 16:9 and 4:3. Shit looked disgusting in the theater with huge black bars on the edges.

I know there were people talking about some of the Comic Con stuff being in a different aspect ratio last year. I just hope they have it sorted out by November.

Trailers with different aspect ratios tend to be messed up but the movie, should they keep the aspect ratio, won't have the borders.

JL trailer's aspect ratio is likely the 1.85 standard, just shy of 16:9 (image isn't as tall). SDCC footage was the same, so probably what they're sticking with.

On aspect ratios, it's a bummer BvS and other movies don't release the full IMAX footage for home release. Nolan, thankfully, gets his way.

Basically the mid-point between 16:9 and 4:3. Shit looked disgusting in the theater with huge black bars on the edges.

I know there were people talking about some of the Comic Con stuff being in a different aspect ratio last year. I just hope they have it sorted out by November.

doubt they will change it. the aspect ratio is intended like that (for scale i think).

Ashhong

I could have sworn I read that the aspect ratio would be 1.85:1, a la Avengers 1, and I thought the standard was 2.39:1? I remember people complaining about how that made Avengers look even more like a TV show

Glass Rebel

Nope people just really wanted to see squids. Every time i see people highlight their criticism of the Watchmen ending doesn't hold up to scrutiny. So you mean to tell me a unprecedented terrorist attack on NYC (
9/11)
led to all the world's powers uniting
(war in Afghanistan)
against the greater evil
(Taliban and Al Qaeda)
that they kinda created
(OBL and the Taliban in their Afghanistan proxy war with Russia)
? You know what, that sounds inconceivable!

If you're just gonna offer some stupid strawman you might as well keep your garbage posts to yourself. "People" have been writing about Snyder's bad handling of Rorschach and his glorification of violence since the movie was released. But it's clear from your posts about BvS that you cannot engage with media more than on a surface level and with flowcharts. Of course you'd focus on the dumb squid.

Watching some Suicide Squad on HBO.

Movie's still dope.

lmao. i was just about to say watching some Suicide Squad on TMN (Canada's HBO).

Movie's still shit.

to go from best cinematic universe comic movie to arguably the worst one ever in the same year is some pretty crazy range for DC's slate. and that BvS last jedi poster is so good.

Bleepey

If you're just gonna offer some stupid strawman you might as well keep your garbage posts to yourself. "People" have been writing about Snyder's bad handling of Rorschach and his glorification of violence since the movie was released. But it's clear from your posts about BvS that you cannot engage with media more than on a surface level and with flowcharts. Of course you'd focus on the dumb squid.

Explain it to me like I am 5. I can defend my points and arguments to the point that even you can follow, you could say I make it as easy as a flow chart. I am sorry if the complaints people have regarding BVS, are often supported by decades of comic book or film precedent (Superman/Batman killing), or plot holes that only exist when you don't pay attention (Give Wonder Woman the spear whilst she was struggling to hold Doomsday in her lasso and Lois deducing kryptonite harmed Superman being some of the most stupid).

lmao. i was just about to say watching some Suicide Squad on TMN (Canada's HBO).

Movie's still shit.

to go from best cinematic universe comic movie to arguably the worst one ever in the same year is some pretty crazy range for DC's slate. and that BvS last jedi poster is so good.

You are wrong, both posters are straight up amateur garbage hour.

BadAss2961

Movie's still shit.

The movie's fast, light, and fun. Exactly what was needed after BvS.

Ayer did a good job setting up these characters. All the way down to the dude in the facility, Griggs, they all stand out. I still grin during the whole introductory 30 minutes.

Dope in the sense of dogshit, yes.
Still mindblowing how you fuck this movie up so badly, it has such a great concept.

It's also a very easy movie to copy since they already made one animated. Ayer is so much bigger of a hack than Zack ever could be, let's be real.

How is there "dope I the sense of dogshit"? How does that make sense? If the man like the movie he likes the movie.

He is not saying that he shouldn't like the movie, he just states his opinion of the movie.

I'm so back and forth with Suicide Squad.

Love the characters but didn't love Leto's Joker. It was fine but I just don't dig the tats after all this time. Everyone else was great and fit their roles. Loved Waller too.

So the first 30-45 minutes are pretty good because I'm enjoying the characters and Batman cameos. But damn, it gets generic fast after that and disappointed me. I don't own it on Blu for this very reason... I paid Imax tickets to go see it, I'd rather not pay 20 bucks to own it. I'll wait for a good price drop.

And for reference, I bought BvS on Blu the day or release.

J_Viper

Suicide Squad has the worst final act perhaps ever.

The encounter with Enchantress was horrendous. Not a single second of that scene works.

BadAss2961

I see some of the flaws people had with the movie but I found it entertaining
The action is mediocre. Incubus was a throwaway villain. Then there's the beam in the sky trope. Those are the movie's flaws. The editing is fine. It honestly just plays out like a typical comic book, but it's easy to follow. The licensed soundtrack is also better than your favorite CBM's -- the use of it might be a bit unconventional at times, but it works. The cold opening between Deadshot and Griggs with House of the Rising Sun is my shit.

Luckily, Squad is driven by its strengths and not its flaws. The character moments, the style, the aesthetics etc. and not the action or putting too much time into a trash villain or building up a generic conclusion. That's why it worked out.
Suicide Squad has the worst final act perhaps ever.

The encounter with Enchantress was horrendous. Not a single second of that scene works.

The final act is pretty garbage, but that's the worst part of most movies, even the good ones. What saves it is everything after the big bad is taken care of. Back to the character moments for the finish.

Bleepey

The action is mediocre. Incubus was a throwaway villain. Then there's the beam in the sky trope. Those are the movie's flaws. The editing is fine. It honestly just plays out like a typical comic book, but it's easy to follow. The licensed soundtrack is also better than your favorite CBM's -- the use of it might be a bit unconventional at times, but it works. The cold opening between Deadshot and Griggs with House of the Rising Sun is my shit.

Luckily, Squad is driven by its strengths and not its flaws. The character moments, the style, the aesthetics etc. and not the action or putting too much time into a trash villain or building up a generic conclusion. That's why it worked out.

The final act is pretty garbage, but that's the worst part of most movies, even the good ones. What saves it is everything after the big bad is taken care of. Back to the character moments for the finish.

I liked a lot of what i saw, i just thought the giant beam in the sky was kinda pointless. A heist movie discussing the nature of black ops work would have had the opportunity to expand the DCEU, flesh out the characters more, and added more levity which people craved. Enchantress should have been purged or been the subject of another movie. I'd rather watch Suicide Squad than either of the Thor movies IMO

IHaveIce

Banned
It's also a very easy movie to copy since they already made one animated. Ayer is so much bigger of a hack than Zack ever could be, let's be real.

He is not saying that he shouldn't like the movie, he just states his opinion of the movie.

Thank you. Both points are exactly what I mean.

The animated movie is superb and should have been the direction they went to. My issues with BvS were that it was sometimes too long or overdramatic in wrong scenes. But I still see it as a movie that is damn easy to fix to be very very good in my eyes.

Suicide Squad is beyond saving in my books, I dislike the designs, the dialogue, the plot, the final act and some of the casting choices.

I think my biggest problem I have with comicbook movies in general is that I like the books too much and compare movie and book. :(

In other news, I was in Fast in the Furious 2 days ago and had a comicmovie trailer galore before the mainmovie. Really excited for WonderWoman right now, though I worry for its BO

Just showed SS to my girlfriend, she liked it but then was disappointed when I explained to her how Harley and Joker's original relationship dynamic was all about in the comics. I think the fact they toned it down for the movie was the best decision nonetheless.

I still think the movie is a harmless fun romp, but Leto's portrayal of the Joker got annoying by the second and third viewing, maybe it's because of his exaggerated facial tics.

I do agree that the light pillar was a bit too much for a Suicide Squad movie, and I still don't get how a guy with a skin condition, a girl with a baseball bat, a guy who throws boomerangs and a trained sharpshooter would be the earth's response to "What if the next superman shows up and decides to kidnap the president from the oval office". Enchantress and maybe Diablo would probably be the only valuable assets really...but we know how that turned out.

But the thing that I really liked were the little cameos here and there, as well as the after credits scene, I was always a sucker for some worldbuilding.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of my favorite vids about the editing and pacing in Suicide Squad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I

He goes over just general film making techniques which they failed hard at in the final cut of the movie. I still enjoy the movie though, but I can't help but question some of these decisions. The pink unicorn is definitely one I noticed on my first viewing.

He has a 4 minute follow up video that answers come comments and corrects some mistakes he had in the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALMpIemuIo

IconGrist

Suicide Squad would have been a much better movie had Ayer been given decent time with the script. I'd also would have removed Ayer from a lot of the aesthetic choices such as the character looks. Katana was the only character that looked good to me. Didn't care much for anyone else though I did like Joker's look a little.

Ninjimbo

Hi straf!

All the SS talk has me itching to watch it again. I never hated the movie. I just found it immensely frustrating because all the potential was there. There was a lot to like and to see be it fumbled like that cuz of studio meddling was stupid.

The only good take away from it is that it made money, which gave WB an idea of what people want to see.

Anyways, Wonder Woman is a couple of months away. How are all of you passing the time? I'm watching the NBA playoffs and playing Street Fighter 5 and Persona 5 in my free time.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
NHL Playoffs (poor Detroit), finished Zelda after 120 hours (all 120 shrines done and 160 Korok Seeds), saw Fast 8 on Friday, seeing Guardians opening day thanks to my office taking us.

Then I wait for Wonder Woman.

Just the other day a friend wanted to watch Suicide Squad. Having never seen the extended cut, I said why not. About 40 minutes in she's done and wants to watch something else, and I'm like, yep it's still bad. And for some reason we decided to watch Interstellar. I'll say, I forgot just how much exposition there is at the beginning of Interstellar, but once it picks up, movie is still really good.

Back to Suicide Squad, it's in the same place as Age of Ultron for me in that rewatching it is a chore. Back when Iron Man 2 came out, I hated it but tried watching two more times hoping it would grab me and it never did. Don't have the tolerance for that anymore. I may try and watch Rogue One again to see if I'll like it this time, but I imagine I'll drop it when I'm checking the clock half an hour in.

Top Bottom