• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Penguin

As these other projects continue to take forever to get out the front door, Cyborg's chances of happening continues to astronomically dwindle. If you went back to 2014 and told Warner Bros execs that they wouldn't start filming a Batman film until 2018, they'd probably laugh in your face and tell you they plan to start filming in 1-2 years and release by 2017. They can't even get major characters out of the way, ain't nobody giving a fuck about Cyborg at that studio other than Johns right now.

Eh

I mean I know the perspective, but honestly The Flash is the only one that has had major production hurdles.

Eh

I mean I know the perspective, but honestly The Flash is the only one that has had major production hurdles.

No, The Batman is on level playing field with the production hurdles of The Flash. If you consider it being the crown jewel, sorry folks but it is, of the cinematic universe, it's a bigger dumpster fire. It lost it's premiere director, it was being rewritten just a few months ago before it's production start date, said production start date completely scratched, major character cast as the villain of the film left in limbo, actor of the title character might want out, etc.

Penguin

No, The Batman is on level playing field with the production hurdles of The Flash. If you consider it being the crown jewel, sorry folks but it is, of the cinematic universe, it's a bigger dumpster fire. It lost it's premiere director, it was being rewritten just a few months ago before it's production start date, said production start date completely scratched, major character cast as the villain of the film left in limbo, actor of the title character might want out, etc.

Eh I guess the reason I think of The Flash more than The Batman is they never gave a date or a window.

so yeah it has had some ups and downs, but more one of those projects I think of that stays influx until the studio settles on something

The Flash had a date, director(s) and cast ready to go at the end of last year.

shingi70

Banned
The BF was actually a really decent translation of the Robin suit for its time.

639ef21368dee4d914e0ae98a7b7e1d3.jpg

And yes, the B&R one was Nightwing inspired, but it also looked good.

I think Snyder will keep being a producer and might make another "big" DC film at a point in the future, like Flashpoint, Kingdom Come or something like that.

That is a good Robin costume.

I'm one of those people and it's because it's a waste of time. There are dozens other characters that people have been clamoring for years and I find unfair that they're getting relegated because Johns feels fucking Cyborg is a anything else that "see we're not racist": the character.

Hell, what is he even doing there? Martian Manhunter is the superior seventh member.

That's honestly not the reason. Johns picked Cyborg because his favorite incarnation of superfruends is Galatic Guardians.

If you look at his work at D.C. Johns run is defined by bringing back and expanding upon the stories and cartoons he consumed as a kid.

I hope the Cyborg movie happens 1. because Ray seems like a nice guy who deserves a big break and 2. to spite everyone who keeps shitting on it. I don't even like Cyborg that much, but some people are practically praying for it to fall apart and not happen.

I may joke about it, but yeah, why not. Cyborg occupies a similar space as Captain Marvel for sad reasons. Like how I'm expecting Brie Larson's Captain Marvel to be a reinvention using superficial elements of the comics, something similar could happen with Cyborg. Although I'm told recent Cyborg stories go interesting places. Certainly interesting ground to make a compelling story around the character.

Whatever happens, dude needs a fresh look.

Maddocks

They need to just say cyborg is cancelled because him wearing that borg life t shirt everywhere is starting to get sad.

Eh I guess the reason I think of The Flash more than The Batman is they never gave a date or a window.

so yeah it has had some ups and downs, but more one of those projects I think of that stays influx until the studio settles on something

The Flash had a date, director(s) and cast ready to go at the end of last year.

I mean, outside of a public release date, they were both in the same boat. Both productions crumbled a few months before their rumored production start dates.

Ninjimbo

I really want to know what was wrong Famuyiwa. He seemed like a bold choice but a good match for the material. What the fuck happened?

Boke1879

Cyborg doesn't need a solo film. At least not yet.

This is why I was all for a buddy team up movie with him and Flash. You use the JL movies to expose his character and use the solo Flash, Batman, Aquaman, films etc to keep him relevant.

This in my mind would have lead up to a Teen Titans movie where he is their "leader" so to speak.

Cyborg doesn't need a solo film. At least not yet.

This is why I was all for a buddy team up movie with him and Flash. You use the JL movies to expose his character and use the solo Flash, Batman, Aquaman, films etc to keep him relevant.

This in my mind would have lead up to a Teen Titans movie where he is their "leader" so to speak.

I think this might work, let Cyborg do some nick fury-ing in some solo movies.

Ross61

How much time before another white male/female DC film going to be announced before a PoC solo film?

I mean let's be honest here. I've never seen anyone on this forums call any of DC's black characters "interesting". And I find it kind of offensive suggesting Martian Manhunter as the "black stand-in" for black character on the team instead of Cyborg. Just because MM can turn black don't make him black.

jackdoe

How much time before another white male/female DC film going to be announced before a PoC solo film?

I mean let's be honest here. I've never seen anyone on this forums call any of DC's black characters "interesting". And I find it kind of offensive suggesting Martian Manhunter as the "black stand-in" for black character on the team instead of Cyborg. Just because MM can turn black don't make him black.
Jason Mamoa is a PoC.

jackdoe

When you take into account the number of films DC are actually releasing, that's a damn good ratio. And who knows, if Black Lighting takes off on the CW, WB might release a Black Lightining film (he's the character I felt should have been on the Justice League for the New 52 push instead of Cyborg).

Anyways, I'm hoping DC does something for Asian representation, but I'm not holding my breath.

Boke1879

Yea. These CBM's aren't doing the best of jobs with their PoC representation. Thank Goodness for Black Panther and it's cast, but again. It's just one movie

LionPride

Banned

John chooses to be black on Earth. He black to me shit.

What black heroes worth a damn does DC have? Static? That's about it.

LionPride

Banned
You're forgetting the obvious John Stewart. But Vixen, Black Lightning, Mr. Terrific, and Steel also come to mind.
Fuck John Stewart. He's boring as hell. I like Vixen, I don't dislike Black Lighting. Mr. Terrific is cool but he wouldn't get a movie and fuck Steel.

John chooses to be black on Earth. He black to me shit.

What black heroes worth a damn does DC have? Static? That's about it.

That's true, but I also never heard of Black Panther before Civil War nor do I can actively think of black Marvel heroes. It's really not good looking.

Although not a hero, I am looking forward to Yahya in Aquaman, he got fit.

yahyas7u48.png

Ross61

It just seems to me that PoC characters have to jump through hoops to be considered "interesting" while white characters can get a pass while remaining "vanilla".

Penguin

I disagree

Black Lightning looks good
People like Mr. Terrific

Static is the easy answer if they owned him...

Duke has potential. Need to do more with him

Aqualad from Young Justice.

LionPride

Banned
That's true, but I also never heard of Black Panther before Civil War nor do I can actively think of black Marvel heroes. It's really not good looking.

Although not a hero, I am looking forward to Yahya in Aquaman, he got fit.

yahyas7u48.png
Marvel at least has interesting people to pick from. Fucking hell Prowler is a cool character. I'm black so of course I care about characters who look like me. I don't want some vanilla ass person on screen, the main reaspn I ain't a big Miles Moralas fan. T'Challa, badass. Sam Wilson, terrible past but badass. Luke Cage, great. Storm, when she wasn't with BP, great. I could make a whole list.

Ain't a whole lot of black DC characters I care about even a little bit. I fucks with Aqualad though.

Ahasverus

I disagree

Black Lightning looks good
People like Mr. Terrific

Static is the easy answer if they owned him...

Duke has potential. Need to do more with him

Aqualad from Young Justice.
Don't forget Wally West. I really love him in the TV show.

It just seems to me that PoC characters have to jump through hoops to be considered "interesting" while white characters can get a pass while remaining "vanilla".
Not really, no, there are tons, and I mean literal tons of uninteresting characters in comics, and most of them are white. In fact, I'd say most colored characters are above the median in how interesting they are.

Cyborg is just the blandest motherfucker out there.

Ross61

Don't forget Wally West. I really love him in the TV show.

Not really, no, there are tons, and I mean literal tons of uninteresting characters in comics, and most of them are white. In fact, I'd say most colored characters are above the median in how interesting they are.

Cyborg is just the blandest motherfucker out there.

I could name a dozen of motherfuckers that are getting the spotlight that are more boring than Cyborg.

Boke1879

Don't see anything wrong with Introducing Martian Manhunter at some point.

Sure his background is pretty typical but you can do some interesting things with it.

And if the characters aren't interesting. Then you make them interesting on the big screen. That's exactly what Marvel is going to do with Captain Marvel.

I doubt many people care or think Captain Marvel is interesting. But the movie will no doubt redefine who she is and make her at least somewhat interesting.

LionPride

Banned
Captain America for one. Aquaman is another.

And how is Luke Cage great but John Stewart boring?!
Captain America and Aquaman ain't boring. At all really. Both interesting characters. To me anyway. John is just a boring ass motherfucker. Like Jesus christ he's like the J. Cole of comics.

Ross61

Captain America and Aquaman ain't boring. At all really. Both interesting characters. To me anyway. John is just a boring ass motherfucker. Like Jesus christ he's like the J. Cole of comics.

Whats more interesting about Aquaman or Captain America that John Stewart?! If anyone deserves a J.Cole comparison it's Luke Cage. Hell, I greatly enjoyed his Netflix series and would defend it to hell in back but he in the top 3 least interesting characters in his own series. He's as boring as all J.Cole albums and any Nas albums that ain't Illmatic, It Was Written, and Life is Good.

I don't read comic books, how can he be boring with the set up he has? Sounds like a case of bad writers. Also, people loved him in Teen Titans, so I guess it's not all bad.

He has more of a personality in the Teen Titans cartoon.

The producers said they are going with the comic interpretation. Most likely Geoff Johns' version, where he was a stoic sadsack who moped around 80 percent of the time whenever he was on panel, which wasn't often. His 2015 solo series pulled more from the cartoon, but that personality was wiped with Rebirth, where he returned to being dull.

John Stewart isn't boring, writers just took and amplified his less entertaining qualities and turned him into a stoic military dude. Coincidentally, he started to be viewed as boring under Geoff Johns' writing.

Luke Cage...is actually pretty boring. I'll agree with that.

The trapping of Cyborg is the constant return to bog standard "*GASP* Am I man...or machine?!!" themes either in the form of lame social commentary or lame soap opera drama.

"Am I really more of a cyborg than you taking your cell phone everywhere!?"

Or

"You love me more as a machine than as a man, Dad!"

Even his current solo has battling him against every forgotten robotic villain in DC comic history as they try to recruit him to their Man or Machine?! pity party.

Its a tough cracker for any writer to chew, but please spare me bad versions of either

Edit: Wow I had idea Two-Face and Cyborg fought.

LionPride

Banned
Whats more interesting about Aquaman or Captain America that John Stewart?! If anyone deserves a J.Cole comparison it's Luke Cage. Hell, I greatly enjoyed his Netflix series and would defend it to hell in back but he in the top 3 least interesting characters in his own series. He's as boring as all J.Cole albums and any Nas albums that ain't Illmatic, It Was Written, and Life is Good.
Stewart is just boring as fuck to me. Always has been

Penguin

Actually I know how they could have solved all these problems, Vixen!

Get a PoC character. Get another female on the team. Get an interesting character (her backstory at least), unique visual power.

Jenkins says her influences were Donner's Superman, Indiana Jones and Casablanca... really need to see this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ts-CfBOdVo

Top Bottom