• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

Not a fan of random-generated design or Japanese co op games / MonHon.

It does look pretty nice technically but artistically its pretty bland.

I am not very interested right now. I hope they show more variety and story stuff to get me on board.

I hit my head against the wall every time compares this to the Soul series. Tell me how are the two even similar except being in the same dungeon crawling genre.

Also this is looking like one of my favourite next gen titles already.

I think there are definitely some similarities in presentation (bleak atmosphere, nameless player clad in full-armor traversing dark corridors littered with mobs, the combat and movement looks very weighted like the Souls series, UI looks kinda similar (spell election and HP bars etc)) but there are also big differences, like the randomly generated content, and the online only, and the futuristic setting.
It's not inappropriate for people to compare them, stylistically, though.

N30RYU

I hit my head against the wall every time compares this to the Soul series. Tell me how are the two even similar except being in the same dungeon crawling genre.

Slow attacks, enemy life bars... damage points on screen...

Day one for me. Isn't a bad thing compare this game to Dark Souls... remains to be seen how dificult this game is...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks amazing. I wonder how far they'll push the notion of monsters evolving rather than creating individual monsters. I like the idea.

Stillmatic

This sounds really good, definitely interested. Hopefully we get some more info out of TGS.

Visually it looks fantastic too. Definitely not as good as reveal, but still better than most next gen games I've seen.

Kuro

lets call it with the proper name...

not good enough to be next gen

is this shot res reduced or the gamewill be 720?ù

and also what r that violet and green colour in the water ...you can see them also on the right ...bug?

I have no idea how you get away with these posts.

Riposte

Can't say I recognize Dragon's Dogma within it.

I hope it isn't very randomized.

How long before someone calls this "rogue-like" lol. Probably already has happened in this thread.

After seeing the E3 trailer I was thinking this was going to be a co-op Dragon's Dogma sequel, and was going to be why I got a PS4. But, now... WTF? Don't want to be a prick since it might be good and I hate crapping on people's hard work. But the dialogue and music is like having your teeth drilled. What a disappointing bummer.

I will wait to get the PS4 when they release TLOU HD remix or TLOU 2 if I even get it at all now.

Capcom: PLEASE MAKE A DRAGON'S DOGMA co-op SEQUEL.

ShinAmano

After seeing the E3 trailer I was thinking this was going to be a co-op Dragon's Dogma sequel, and was going to be why I got a PS4. But, now... WTF? Don't want to be a prick since it might be good and I hate crapping on people's hard work. But the dialogue and music is like having your teeth drilled. What a disappointing bummer.

I will wait to get the PS4 when they release TLOU HD remix or TLOU 2 if I even get it at all now.

Agree almost 100%.

tensuke

I hope it isn't very randomized.

How long before someone calls this "rogue-like" lol. Probably already has happened in this thread.

Someone mentioned rogue-likes for the random dungeon aspect, but didn't call it one. I don't get all the hate for the random dungeons, I doubt it'll be too randomized, and I'm sure there will be specific elements incorporated into specific dungeons to move the story along.

velociraptor

I would consider Deep Down to look about 60% as good as the initial reveal trailer. Of course this is entirely subjective. They've nailed the overall look but the game could use with a bit of additional polish in terms of texturing and polycounts. It would be stupid to expect the game to look as good as that original trailer but if they can come about 75-80% as close, I'll be pleased. Nevertheless, graphics are not my concern about this game. While I understand this is a new generation and people want to see great looking games, what is the point if it plays like crap? I want Capcom to reveal more about the gameplay. I'm actually quite confused.

From what I understand, it's set in New York 2097. Yet you relive memories of the past? What? It's online only, but it appears to have a story? Is there going to be a campaign ala Diablo 3?

Robot Pants

I think there are definitely some similarities in presentation (bleak atmosphere, nameless player clad in full-armor traversing dark corridors littered with mobs, the combat and movement looks very weighted like the Souls series, UI looks kinda similar (spell election and HP bars etc)) but there are also big differences, like the randomly generated content, and the online only, and the futuristic setting.
It's not inappropriate for people to compare them, stylistically, though.

And honestly, you can see it coming from a mile away.
It's Capcom. They chase every big thing and try to get one of their own in the same vein.
AND IT'S WORKING GREAT FOR THEM! DON'T DEVIATE!

thankfully itsel excusive because if it wasnt and it was really successful i dont think we would ever see a dragons dogma sequel

I would consider Deep Down to look about 60% as good as the initial reveal trailer. Of course this is entirely subjective. They've nailed the overall look but the game could use with a bit of additional polish in terms of texturing and polycounts. It would be stupid to expect the game to look as good as that original trailer but if they can come about 75-80% as close, I'll be pleased. Nevertheless, graphics are not my concern about this game. While I understand this is a new generation and people want to see great looking games, what is the point if it plays like crap? I want Capcom to reveal more about the gameplay. I'm actually quite confused.

From what I understand, it's set in New York 2097. Yet you relive memories of the past? What? It's online only, but it appears to have a story? Is there going to be a campaign ala Diablo 3?

I wish they would release a direct feed of the gameplay. I just hope this isn't 720p.

No_Style

I guess I am in the minority and thought this trailer looked good. I didn't give that initial reveal trailer any credibility; initial reveals rarely pan out. As a result, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of progress they've made.

velociraptor

I guess I am in the minority and thought this trailer looked good. I didn't give that initial reveal trailer any credibility; initial reveals rarely pan out. As a result, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of progress they've made.
I think it looks pretty good but the backlash exists due to the fact it doesn't look as good.

But this is Capcom's fault. They've shot themselves in the foot by trying to initially fool us.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it looks pretty good but the backlash exists due to the fact it doesn't look as good.

But this is Capcom's fault. They've shot themselves in the foot by trying to initially fool us.

I feel like people going crazy about this and Watch_Dogs not looking quite as good as the reveal footage would have exploded with the reveal footage versus final games from the beginning of the current gen.

What is happening here? This morning Deep Down was beautiful, but now it's graphics suck? o_O

People need to stop judging games so early. It looks significantly better than what we had last gen (Especially the beginning of last gen), so can't we just leave it at that?

Yuterald

I've got MAJOR mixed feelings about this, lol! Love the way the game looks, music in the trailer was cool as shit, but the online-only angle and randomly generated everything turns me off. Ugh...don't know how to feel about this game! So torn!

velociraptor

I feel like people going crazy about this and Watch_Dogs not looking quite as good as the reveal footage would have exploded with the reveal footage versus final games from the beginning of the current gen.
I'm fine with trailers shown by Sony's first party games. Killzone, Infamous - graphically these games hold up. Why? Everything was actually in-game/in-engine.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
this is the first time i'm hearing about this, so let me get this straigth: you knew it was another memory-bs story from seeing the teaser?
There were a lot of hints for that, like helicopter noises and such. To me that's almost a deal-breaker, I hate the game-within-a-game BS like in AssCreed. Add the random dungeons and online-only and blergh, my interest just completely plummeted. :( If the combat and customization are exceptional like the Souls games I might still get it, but I'm pretty disappointed with the latest news.

pixlexic

Banned
I do not get why some of you are gushing over the graphics so much.. we ll I do but you know..

I thought i was watching demon souls for a min there.

demon-s-souls-playstation-3-ps3-043.jpg

You honestly think this is Sony's answer to Titanfall? Lol

Not saying Sony is literally attempting to fill some perceived hole in their library, but I do think this could be the answer to Titanfall as their exclusive online title.

Both have pretty good buzz, Titanfall's admittedly being higher. People are excited about it though, and it could really deliver.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm fine with trailers shown by Sony's first party games. Killzone, Infamous - graphically these games hold up. Why? Everything was actually in-game/in-engine.

I do believe that the reveal trailer for this was real time in engine but the series of tiny rooms in the reveal combined with the fact that they were able to pose lighting, the camera, and hand animate everything led to it having more of an impact than if they had kept it composed like the actual gameplay. The thing that really messed them up on this one was the HUD overlay to try to pass it off as in game.

StevieP

Banned
I do believe that the reveal trailer for this was real time in engine but the series of tiny rooms in the reveal combined with the fact that they were able to pose lighting, the camera, and hand animate everything led to it having more of an impact than if they had kept it composed like the actual gameplay. The thing that really messed them up on this one was the HUD overlay to try to pass it off as in game.

It was realtime, but it wasn't running on a PS4 or its dev kit (edit: obviously higher end kit, as stated by capcom months later). It was also (clearly) not indicative of gameplay of any sort or what they had in development even. Kind of like Agni's - there was no "game" in place.

Raymo

As a fan of graphically impressive online-only games with randomly generated content set in the future where I travel back in time through memories and fight monsters, this game was practically made for me!

Sorry for those of you that are so disappointed.

velociraptor

It was realtime, but it wasn't running on a PS4 or its dev kit. It was also (clearly) not indicative of gameplay of any sort or what they had in development even. Kind of like Agni's - there was no "game" in place.
Exactly.

Developers should either show the game running on the console or dev kit or not show it at all. Giving us a pimped out version merely leads to false expectations. Rockstar are actually doing something very similar with GTA V. It looks amazing in trailers, but boy, many people will be in for a shock when they see it in person. It won't look have as good.

StevieP

Banned
Exactly.

Developers should either show the game running on the console or dev kit or not show it at all. Giving us a pimped out version merely leads to false expectations. Rockstar are actually doing something very similar with GTA V. It looks amazing in trailers, but boy, many people will be in for a shock when they see it in person. It won't look have as good.

Sure, Rockstar's showing the PC build and such but people are just excited to play the game. Folks who want it to look like the trailers just have to wait a bit.

I'm old enough to remember generations worth of console reveals. This is nothing different than usual. Even the OG Xbox was revealed with bullshit footage rendered on a much higher end piece of kit. It's par for the course in our industry, unfortunately (first and third parties). There are only a few developers that don't BS footage, and they get shit on for it all the time.

It was realtime, but it wasn't running on a PS4 or its dev kit (edit: obviously higher end kit, as stated by capcom months later). It was also (clearly) not indicative of gameplay of any sort or what they had in development even. Kind of like Agni's - there was no "game" in place.

So what was the point of that daft HUD in the teaser, then? It's 'clearly not indicative of gameplay', even though...well, it was clearly trying to be.

Something about the lack of Sony trumpeting as only on Playstation (unlike Dead Rising 3 only on XBone) as well as Ono's lack of outright explicit statement (that tweet imo seems directed towards tgs/the time being) makes me think this game is at best a timed exclusive. Where exactly is the source for the SCEJ engineers helping build the game?

IDK smells fishy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I guess I just have a more of a mental separation between trailers and gameplay demos than most people here seem to. I'm just glad that so far we haven't gotten any BS on the level of Sony's 2005 conference and most of the in engine stuff seems like it will be attainable at some point in the next generation.

StevieP

Banned
Right; this sort of bait and switch shit needs to be called out on, though. Tech demo or not, it's still misleading advertising.

It's been done on consoles for ... decades, really. And it very clearly works. That's why they keep doing it. There are entire art departments that are very adept at producing perfect bullshots.

Top Bottom