• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

Online only? Eh, I'll wait until more details are known before passing any judgement.

Randomly generated dungeons? Yes, that is disappointing to hear.

After watching the footage (poor youtube quality), this game looks REALLY early. I'm thinking a Fall 2014 release date at the earliest; more likely sometime in 2015. Capcom probably should have waited until the game was farther along before showing it off to us.

Raide

Online huh. So this is their Dark Souls/ Dragon's Dogma spin-off? I am guessing they have pretty much dropped DD now then. Need to see more of the adventuring that is not just in dark corridors and tunnels...also need to see how they plan to do the co-op and loot.

Eh, it seems more akin to Demons/Dark Souls than Dragon's Dogma; perhaps I was clouded by my own original perception of what the game would be real talk. Hopefully the online only doesn't serve as too large a detriment to the quality of play; that factor'll certainly be mitigated if the game is good.

I'll have to wait and see more footage. The concept actually sounds nice but everything else feels generic fare.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They say the Feb trailer ran on GTX 570 but tbh talk is cheap. I haven't seen any other game like that on GTX 570 so I seriously doubt it. 780, possibly SLI, with most likely downsampling from 4k going on.
No way. The reveal trailer used FXAA or alike. There was aliasing everywhere you'd look in it, and there were also half and qurater size buffers for effects etc.

This however does look like it might be straight up 720p, so there's that.

dyergram

It's fascinating how this thread starts with "that's amazing" type comments, but by the end, people are picking holes into every aspect.

Funny too, how it's always exclusive titles that generate these gargantuan threads, anyone would think there are ulterior motives at play.
Welcome to neogaf brah. Honestly since the jaw dropping reveal dd was always going to get a lot of attention. I wasn't struck on this trailer to be honest need to see more.

StevieP

Banned
I've been spoilt, but that really doesn't look that much better than a carefully selected Gears of War 3 screenshot. Kind of baffled as to where the next-gen graphics have gone all of a sudden. Some dodgy aliasing (sub-resolution?) and texture work on that one.

Where have they gone? Well, they've descended into realism to reflect what each platform is capaable of.

do we know the resolution of the game? the shot looks like it's 720p native. The trailer on youtube is 720p only too.

It seems to be 720p native, though I'm not the most talented pixel counter here obviously. That said:

That's a 720p image with obvious aliasing. A bit concerning.

^
He's a much better judge than most of us.

Literally 5 seconds before they showed the reveal the guy said "let us show you something representing a new IP running realtime on the PS4 using the Panta Rhei engine"..

They were obviously being dishonest, but that was a theme for many of the reveals/E3 presentations from lots of publishers/first parties as it were. That's no different from all the smoke and mirrors at the previous console launches, though. In fact it's strikingly similar.

Joeki11a said:
If this was for xbox it wouldnt be questioned

Yes it would. Bullshit is bullshit. Don't bring console wars into it.

Horp

No way. The reveal trailer used FXAA or alike. There was aliasing everywhere you'd look in it, and there were also half and qurater size buffers for effects etc.

This however does look like it might be straight up 720p, so there's that.

Yea you're actually right, thanks for refreshing my memory. Still think it's something stronger than a 570 though.

There's a lot of downplaying to do, guys. Do you remember how many Meanie McMeaniepants Ryse gifs there were?! Everything PS4 must be downplayed!

RoeBear

I can't believe the setting is New York. U.S. will never use the format of year/month/day, we don't like to standardize to the rest of the world. Can't believe Capcom didn't realize this.

Eggbok

The way people are complaining about the games visuals makes it seem like the game comes out in 3 weeks, geeez people lol. Can we at least see a FULL gameplay demo first :3

LtOrange

Oh man this looks so awesome. I love the idea of a Souls game + Diabloish dungeon runner. PS4 is the right system for me if these are the types of exclusives they are going for.

dalin80

Banned
Can someone explain to me why people would decide to play a game based on it be online or not?

If you yourself are online, what difference does it make...........and just how many games don't have a a significant online portion these days?

Inconsistent / slow internet and no guarantee that the game will even work in a few years.

fanboi

Banned
Inconsistent / slow internet and no guarantee that the game will even work in a few years.

If we make these assumptions, why not just make "they will release a patch allowing to game while not being online".

But these things have been gafs favourite overreactions.

fanboi

Banned
Has this ever happened?

I have a tingeling feeling that some games have had it.

Of course, it isnt't the norm (which closing games after a couoke of years isn't really either).

And for me, if I buy it today, I will probably have my fill of it untill it (if) is closed down.

TriGen

I was impressed. I think visually it still looks nice, especially since it's an online game.

It's impossible to tell too much right now, but since it will be hands-on at TGS we will get a really nice look at the game soon. So for now, my interest is still high

tensuke

I don't think it looks as good as the reveal, but then again I didn't expect anything to look as good as the very first released footage, this happens with all consoles, and it seemed more a tech demo than a representation of how ingame graphics would look, especially in a game so early in the console's lifespan. The game itself looks pretty cool, like a mix of Ass Creed/Dark Souls sort of, only hopefully better (than AC). Online-only is worrisome, but maybe they'll pull it off. Who knows. It's really too early to say much about the game since we still know very little and don't have new direct feeds of the game.

Edit: And if the trailer music is indicative of the OST (also too early to tell), this'll be a Day 1 just for that.

debut trailer
7Xv4.gif

second trailer
3Rp0.gif

4Kk0.gif

Wow, talk about disappointing...This game went from "most anticipated" to "wait and see" in a heartbeat. Online only? Randomly generated dungeons? 2094 future shit? The game has its work cut out for it, if it wants to convince me it's worth my time. I hate next-gen's insistence on playing online all the time.

What surprises me about Deep Down is that there wasn't ever much of anything besides a visually impressive looking trailer that would have really led anyone to suspect this game would be anything amazing, but I guess because we're at the start of a new generation, and the trailer looked impressive, people's hopes were maybe too high simply because it's a next gen game.

I have to wonder if we were much further in the generation, and Deep Down were shown off exactly as is, if the same level of interest would still exist. I get the feeling we're more enthralled with seeing how amazing the graphics could be on a new system, rather than how good the game itself might be. That said, we did only see a very tiny snippet of the gameplay, and for all I know this could end up being a pretty incredible online only dungeon crawler type game. And then the dragon battles and the way combat works are quite interesting depending on how it's executed, so I can certainly see why people would be excited about this one, but the best chance it had with me was probably having an SP story of some sort, but I'm more than willing to ignore that depending on how good the gameplay looks.

Durante

It seems to be 720p native, though I'm not the most talented pixel counter here obviously. That said:
I really wouldn't dare to say one way or another about the native rendering resolution of that image. Some edges are perfect, some have aliasing artifacts that look native res, and some even look like scaled aliasing artifacts. Either there is a selective PPAA method at work or something else is going on.

The concerning part is that it's a 720p image, so there really shouldn't be such pronounced aliasing on any of the edges. But it's just not enough information (and far too early) to say more than that.

Does that really mean it is 720p though, just because the screen was released as such? Screens for the new Yakuza game were released in something like 480p...
No, see above. However, if it was rendering at e.g. 1080p (like the reveal trailer did) then there wouldn't be any 1-pixel-sized aliasing artifacts in a 720p frame.

What surprises me about Deep Down is that there wasn't ever much of anything besides a visually impressive looking trailer that would have really led anyone to suspect this game would be anything amazing, but I guess because we're at the start of a new generation, and the trailer looked impressive, people's hopes were maybe too high simply because it's a next gen game.

I have to wonder if we were much further in the generation, and Deep Down were shown off exactly as is, if the same level of interest would still exist. I get the feeling we're more enthralled with seeing how amazing the graphics could be on a new system, rather than how good the game itself might be. That said, we did only see a very tiny snippet of the gameplay, and for all I know this could end up being a pretty incredible online only dungeon crawler type game. And then the dragon battles and the way combat works are quite interesting depending on how it's executed, so I can certainly see why people would be excited about this one, but the best chance it had with me was probably having an SP story of some sort, but I'm more than willing to ignore that depending on how good the gameplay looks.

Well to be honest the initial trailer was pretty spectacular. The visuals, animation, and earthy intensity of the presentation was what impressed me. Online only is pretty damn disappointing though...

Sounds like Ryse to me.

Launch or end of generation doesn't matter much. Graphics are the first part of a game's overall presence you can absorb. As a result, they get the most attention and comment at initial reveal. Gameplay becomes important later...but you have to keep in mind that what gameplay looks like and what it feels like can differ wildly. I don't know if you were around for the Demon's Souls first reveal, but there were tons of comments downplaying both the graphics and the "clunky gameplay". It wasn't really until release that it caught fire.

So you're right to wait. Deep Down could turn out very well despite the doom and gloom (just like Ryse).

KrAzEd

Banned
Damn, I was really hoping this would be a Dragons dogma sequel. The online only is kind of a turn off for me, especially for this type of game. I prefer single player fantasy experiences. I won't be getting a PS4 anytime soon, so I guess either way it doesn't matter, but I feel like this could have been HUGE if this had been a single player experience. From the trailer it looks like there is no exploration at all and only dimly lit corridors and dungeons, hopefully that turns out just to be one aspect of the game.

StevieP

Banned
I really wouldn't dare to say one way or another about the native rendering resolution of that image. Some edges are perfect, some have aliasing artifacts that look native res, and some even look like scaled aliasing artifacts. Either there is a selective PPAA method at work or something else is going on.

The concerning part is that it's a 720p image, so there really shouldn't be such pronounced aliasing on any of the edges. But it's just not enough information (and far too early) to say more than that.

You're much better at it than me, so I'll defer to your judgement here - but when I blew up the image it looked like the aliasing artifacts were native (ie 1-pixel).

Seeing as though it's early I doubt they've fully implemented their AA solution. If I were to guess, it will be some form of post AA.

Serenity

Where have they gone? Well, they've descended into realism to reflect what each platform is capaable of.

^
He's a much better judge than most of us.

They were obviously being dishonest, but that was a theme for many of the reveals/E3 presentations from lots of publishers/first parties as it were. That's no different from all the smoke and mirrors at the previous console launches, though. In fact it's strikingly similar.

Yes it would. Bullshit is bullshit. Don't bring console wars into it.

Like console wars aren't the reason you take every opportunity to repeat the above every chance you get.

Sounds like Ryse to me.

Yep, and that would definitely be a fair assessment of Ryse depending on what kind of game you're looking for, but Ryse, unlike this, isn't an online only game. Ryse is a game set in the late Roman Empire and is attempting to tell a story about revenge and a soldier's rise from mere foot soldier to, I guess, a big hero of Rome, and it appears to be going for something pretty cinematic with a lot of production value and epic battles.

I'm not saying that this automatically means one should be more excited about Ryse than Deep Down, but there are very clear differences between the two games, but I also understand completely how my skepticism of Deep Down could easily be applied to Ryse, and so your point is valid. I'm not writing off Deep Down. It's just appealing to me less based on what I know currently. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what the game has to show.

Launch or end of generation doesn't matter much. Graphics are the first part of a game's overall presence you can absorb. As a result, they get the most attention and comment at initial reveal. Gameplay becomes important later...but you have to keep in mind that what gameplay looks like and what it feels like can differ wildly. I don't know if you were around for the Demon's Souls first reveal, but there were tons of comments downplaying both the graphics and the "clunky gameplay". It wasn't really until release that it caught fire.

So you're right to wait. Deep Down could turn out very well despite the doom and gloom (just like Ryse).

I agree completely. It would be stupid to write off Deep Down just yet, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing more from it. And I may be pretty excited about Ryse now, but I was quite skeptical prior to its E3 showing back when I expected it to be a much more on rails first person sword and shield combat game with heavy Kinect integration, so opinions aren't exactly set in stone. My opinion has changed for the better on quite a few titles so far, so I'm not too stubborn if I feel a game might be appealing to me in the right ways.

Top Bottom