• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

firen

Wow, talk about disappointing...This game went from "most anticipated" to "wait and see" in a heartbeat. Online only? Randomly generated dungeons? 2094 future shit? The game has its work cut out for it, if it wants to convince me it's worth my time. I hate next-gen's insistence on playing online all the time.

In the next generation offline mode will a be feature!

dalin80

Banned
Online only? Wow, next gen is getting cheaper and cheaper all the time I'm now down to only a couple of games to be interested in.

N30RYU

Yeah I wonder what happened to this guy:

untitled2rrko0.png

Is he in the trailer? I can't view it at work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psw07YbY70U 1:03

Wow, talk about disappointing...This game went from "most anticipated" to "wait and see" in a heartbeat. Online only? Randomly generated dungeons? 2094 future shit? The game has its work cut out for it, if it wants to convince me it's worth my time. I hate next-gen's insistence on playing online all the time.

Yeah, if it came out this generation we'd only have to hear people bitch about how having MP ruined the campaign.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07...lusive-or-not-more-info-on-panta-rhei-shared/
Feb reveal trailer was done on PC + mid range GPU.
Texture size ~ 2GB

I thought they were saying that the trailer was run in real time on PS4 dev kits but they mostly run it on the 570 set up for tests?

The Deep Down demo ran in real time at the PS4 presentation and displayed between 10 and 20 million polygons per frame. It had a variable frame rate above 30 frames per second and a total texture capacity of 2 GB. It ran 30 different shaders at the same time..

It is very clearly a downgrade from the February reveal, however it still looks gorgeous.

The creators of the trailer clearly knew this, since they cut the trailer in such a way to make it difficult to get a good understanding of the graphics.
I think it's the same thing that happened during some sections in the knack trailer. Kinda ot but but relatable.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=77852689&highlight=#post77852689
Other sections remained unchanged though.
I can't believe some of you getting this worked up because some xbone guys are trolling.
I hope you're not talking about me because all I'm doing is comparing what we were promised vs reality.

Kuro

Lighting looks worse in scenes with lights going into the cave and fire doesnt lit up environments as good as in reveal.
Shadowing is much lower res than in reveal.
Dragon has worse textures and shaders than in reveal.
Lack of per object motion blur.
Environment geometry in dragon scene is much worse, also textures are worse.
Dragon's fire is much lower res, is much lower density and precision and has less sparks flying around the main fire than in reveal.
Bokeh seems to be lower res, especially in scenes from future seem to have quite low resolution bokeh.

We need more high quality footage to really judge everything, especially character models and geometry.

Textures and shaders look the same to me. This still looks better than Ryse, KKRT :)

chris0701 got you covered:

From his link.

The Deep Down demo ran in real time at the PS4 presentation and displayed between 10 and 20 million polygons per frame. It had a variable frame rate above 30 frames per second and a total texture capacity of 2 GB. It ran 30 different shaders at the same time..

there was also

http://p.twipple.jp/0vG60?p=c&utm_e.../www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528117

From his link.

Read what you just quoted.

It ran in realtime at the presentation. There is no mention this ran on a PS4.

PusherT

so when will this and all the cool looking next gen 3rd party releases? Late 2014 early 2015? by then we should have a good selection on PS4

Giggzy

Why are randomized dungeons getting negative reactions? I always assumed that was a good thing. Playing Diablo 3 on the same generated map is extremely boring... Randomization all the way for me, thanks capcom =)

chris0701

Better see original interview.
。確かに、『deep down』で用いられた総容量2GBものテクスチャメモリは、GeForce GTX570の1.2GBには乗り切らない。PS4のアーキテクチャならば、これは問題なく載る

They expected 8GB GDDR5 would solve 2GB texture bottleneck on GTX580, which only has 1.2GB GDDR5 ram.

I remain as skeptical about this product as I was a week ago. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I have zero expectations for it.

RoyalFool

Banned
That shot looks kind of rough, particularly the texturing. The environment from the reveal was probably hand made for the showing while these environments have to be able to be randomly assigned.

I've been spoilt, but that really doesn't look that much better than a carefully selected Gears of War 3 screenshot. Kind of baffled as to where the next-gen graphics have gone all of a sudden. Some dodgy aliasing (sub-resolution?) and texture work on that one.

Engaging in anything other than a raging circlejerk = trolling? Mmmkay.

The whole spectrum is represented here. Anyway doesnt seem to me like there is 'circile jerk' here at all. There are those who assert there are clear differences between the this and the reveal, those who say there are no differences, and those that are straight up saying it looks bad. I tend to fall into the first category, but I still think it looks pretty good from what I can tell.

Royalfool: That screen... I can see how you might say that, but gameplay footage, particularly the dragon fight look much better than gears 3 visually to me.

Pooya

do we know the resolution of the game? the shot looks like it's 720p native. The trailer on youtube is 720p only too.

I can't believe how good this looks. Next Gen Dark Souls.

I hope the game play holds up, if you look at the high quality video it's extremely close to the reveal.

Racer1977

Was only a month or two back when people were picking apart screenshots, claiming it looked like a PS2 game. Amazing what can happen when a game has a little dev time, and I'm betting Deep Down is Q4 '14 at the earliest.

Racer1977

Online only? Wow, next gen is getting cheaper and cheaper all the time I'm now down to only a couple of games to be interested in.
Can someone explain to me why people would decide to play a game based on it be online or not?

If you yourself are online, what difference does it make...........and just how many games don't have a a significant online portion these days?

Game doesn't look half as good as its original reveal. Shocking. Animations in particular look exceptionally underwhelming.

That's not to say I wont still be buying it. But blah, the dream is dead.

What? Doesn't look half as good? lol, wow. Why set your standards so high? The game looked awesome!!!

Read what you just quoted.

It ran in realtime at the presentation. There is no mention this ran on a PS4.
Did you read what you quoted? Yours says what the demo can run on

The demo can run on a PC with an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570, 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 CPU. The development machines used at Capcom have Geforce GTX 680 and GTX 590 GPUs.

Literally 5 seconds before they showed the reveal the guy said "let us show you something representing a new IP running realtime on the PS4 using the Panta Rhei engine". Then you have the tweet where ono pulled the camera out to show its real time and he still claimed he was doing it on PS4.

Regardless of if the demo was realtime or not, they've always claimed it was on PS4. They should be held too that.

I don't get this obsession with the graphics. They look fine, especially for a non final version of the game. What about the gameplay, or lack of it, that was demonstrated. Weren't many people criticizing the lack of innovation in next gen games, yet all that is analyzed is the reduction in graphics quality from promotional shots.

I want to know what the game will play like? What are its controls? How much is the variation on the randomly generated dungeons? Is it strictly linear as it appears? Those questions matter far more to me than pushing a few more textures and pixels to the screen.

How can they rip off demon souls character design so much? Be original. I'm starting to hate these games where the main character is an ugly medieval knight. I expect more from Japan, especially capcom. It's too bad cause the game looks awesome from that dragon fight and tornado spell but the characters are so mediocre and a rip off. I wish they did something like the knight from white knight chronicles. I love those kinds of designs. They look so cool and powerful. Also fits the setting much better due to the spells and fighting.

Kinyou

Can someone explain to me why people would decide to play a game based on it be online or not?

If you yourself are online, what difference does it make...........and just how many games don't have a a significant online portion these days?
Not everyone has a steady or overly reliable internet connection. That's why there was so much fuzz about the Xbox one 24hour online check in

TheKayle

Banned
That's a 720p image with obvious aliasing. A bit concerning.

lets call it with the proper name...

not good enough to be next gen

is this shot res reduced or the gamewill be 720?ù

and also what r that violet and green colour in the water ...you can see them also on the right ...bug?

Horp

It def. think it is a pretty heavy downgrade from Feb, but this time I'll admit that the footage is of such low video quality that it is impossible to determine. The fact that the last 2 direct feed videos have been extremely quick and blurry cuts however points to some heavy downgrades going on.

They say the Feb trailer ran on GTX 570 but tbh talk is cheap. I haven't seen any other game like that on GTX 570 so I seriously doubt it. 780, possibly SLI, with most likely downsampling from 4k going on.

lets call it with the proper name...

not good enough to be next gen

is this shot res reduced or the gamewill be 720?ù

and also what r that violet and green colour in the water ...you can see them also on the right ...bug?

Why are you in this thread.

Seriously, TheKayle and you are going to look quite silly in a short while

The Kayle already looks silly. I spotted his stand-out style on day one, and I'm a Walt Junior. He continues to surprise though, tying himself in knots to avoid praising PS4, even accidentally.

Racer1977

It's fascinating how this thread starts with "that's amazing" type comments, but by the end, people are picking holes into every aspect.

Funny too, how it's always exclusive titles that generate these gargantuan threads, anyone would think there are ulterior motives at play.

Top Bottom