• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEEP DOWN - PS4 Exclusive, Random Dungeons+Monsters, Online Only play @ TGS

Sorral

I can't wait for this. Loving that Soul's series vibe and I hope that it has a good amount difficulty and some learning curve. I don't mind the online only part as I already play MMO's although I understand that people want some sort of an offline mode or maybe local coop.

However, I thought people were going crazy for The Division and that they loved it even though it was online only. But here, a lot of people are shitting over DD because of just that.
For reference: This is The Division reveal thread.

I think we basically knew that The Division was online only from the MMOFPS part. Is it because people had no expectations about DD being online only from the beginning unlike The Division? Still...

http://abload.de/img/5555ggjf1.gif[/img
[img]http://abload.de/img/44457899wojtn.gif[/img

[img]http://abload.de/img/4455dws8g.gif[/img
[img]http://abload.de/img/4ttttttlqswm.gif

The animations are the most obvious downgrade. I also think the IQ is not as good as in the original reveal trailer, aliasing is visible even at youtube quality. More in-depth analysis would need a better direct feed video.

It still looks pretty good though.

I don't know if you're trolling or being serious Durante, but I'll bite:

The Feb. reveal seemed rigged and pre-recorded. Basically, the whole thing including the animations were for show and the camera was a bit more cinematic in its placement in that reveal. Now, it looks like a real game in how it plays and how you control the camera around the character. The animation look great and I don't see them as a downgrade.

I have no issues with aliasing because obviously the game is not done (especially when you consider how KZ:SF and DriveClub have been transitioning over the last few months) and he did say on stage that the multiplayer shown is in its earliest stages even though it is playable at the show.

Ghost23

This game looks quite nice graphically. Need to learn more before I can say my impressions about the gameplay.

....wait....this is a Sony exclusive?

Man this looks nothing like the CG trailer. This is obviously a ripoff of Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma. I mean CoD Ghosts on the Xbox One looks better than this.

StevieP

Banned
Like console wars aren't the reason you take every opportunity to repeat the above every chance you get.

I have very little vested interest in this round of consoles. They have provided me with very little entertainment thus far, outside of the forum threads.
(edit: I will mention that my mind always changes with compelling exclusive titles - with realistic expectations of what they provide - as has always been the case with my console purchases).

There will be a thread just like this one for much of what was already seen, obviously.

Tabular

Banned
yeah ill wait a direct feed

not impressed anymore by the graphics...at least before was looking the best graphics also compared to other big exlcusives not now anymore..but as u said ...ill wait

Did you really expect in game to look like a highly polished engine demo? That is just not possible considering gameplay is 300% more difficult than just a static cutscene. All things considered, the game looks amazing and that tech demo shown in Feb was a realtime target render. You can see the assets are close to identical.

LowerLevel

I am still having some hope for the game. As it is exclusive, I will look at it when I DO buy my Ps4 later next year. Online only though... (sigh)

This game looks quite nice graphically. Need to learn more before I can say my impressions about the gameplay.

Man this looks nothing like the CG trailer. This is obviously a ripoff of Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma. I mean CoD Ghosts on the Xbox One looks better than this.

Is this a parody post? :lol
'Game looks nice' 'wait, Sony exclusive?' 'Game looks shit'

Arnie

Those lighting and particle effects look mindblowing. When he opens up in that cavernous room and there's a whirlwind and some fire it was incredible.

Really turned off by the randomly generated environments and monsters, though. Similarly underwhelmed about the modern day twist; bores the pants off me in AC.

Finally, and this must've been said thousands of times already but why can't Capcom make a Monster Hunter game with the level of fidelity at the end of that gameplay video? I've never even played a Monster Hunter game and I want to see it.

KoopaTheCasual

I almost didn't realize this was a joke post. The console warz are getting to me D:

Ploid 3.0

Is this a parody post? :lol
'Game looks nice' 'wait, Sony exclusive?' 'Game looks shit'

Yeah, hah. I don't really care what it looks like, I'm game for some online rpgs. Finally they are coming out in full force, hopefully, ffxiv, and Diablo 3 success (it seem like it's popular) will motivate more online rpgs.

P.S. It was a crime for Dragon's Dogma to not have MP functions. Also I don't mind online only as long as the game benefit greatly from it (FFXI, FFXIV, Warhawk, MAG, etc).

I guess this is Sony's answer to all the "have you seen Titanfall" stuff. I'm not much of an online guy, but I'm more likely to go for a co-op loot game like this than something more directly competitive like Titanfall. I prefer to fight game monsters, and these monsters look fantastic so far.

I'm fine that it is randomly generated, and I love that it has a similar look to Demon's/Dark Souls. The AssCreed setup doesn't matter to me at all, whatever gets me to the gameplay.

Looking forward to it, I may have found the game that pushes me to pay for PS+.

Are they going to address the obvious graphics and animations downgrade anytime soon? Will they get any better close to its release?

Some of the textures I've seen in the new trailer looks current-gen. It's severely disappointing.

Ploid 3.0

I guess this is Sony's answer to all the "have you seen Titanfall" stuff. I'm not much of an online guy, but I'm more likely to go for a co-op loot game like this than something more directly competitive like Titanfall. I prefer to fight game monsters, and these monsters look fantastic so far.

I'm fine that it is randomly generated, and I love that it has a similar look to Demon's/Dark Souls. The AssCreed setup doesn't matter to me at all, whatever gets me to the gameplay.

Randomly generated is a good thing. Keeps things fresh longer. Diablo 3 suffered because it didn't have enough random in it's dungeons.

nib95

Banned
Are they going to address the obvious graphics and animations downgrade anytime soon? Will they get any better close to its release?

Some of the textures I've seen in the new trailer looks current-gen. It's severely disappointing.

Where are you basing these opinions off of? Is there a HQ non YouTube compressed to hell version of this video somewhere?

You realise nearly all games can look like they have shitty textures if you're basing it off YouTube vids, especially lower quality ones?

Pain

Banned
What exactly is this Sony/Capcom partnership? Does Sony own the rights to the Panta Rhei engine? What if Resident Evil 7 uses the engine? Does it means its exclusive as well!?
TOO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

I don't think they can be held accountable for any shortcomings until the game has gone gold and is in stores. There's plenty of time for them to improve things, isn't 'DEEP DOWN' still the working title? It's probably pretty early.

ypo

The randomly generated monsters is what I wanted in games for a long time. You havea base model then you *mutate* it so no enemies will look identical...but it lookslike DD is not taking it far enough. Seems appearance will only change based on the environment so it'll end up with clones within the same environment. It's a good step forward though in solving the clone problem.

Why do they have to try and copy Dark Souls to begin with?
I guess Capcom really is that creatively bankrupt these days.
Aside from fighting games.

They don't have to. But they probably realize there's a market for that type of gameplay now without a whole lot of competition at the moment.

What exactly is this Sony/Capcom partnership? Does Sony own the rights to the Panta Rhei engine? What if Resident Evil 7 uses the engine? Does it means its exclusive as well!?
TOO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

Would like some clarifications on that one too.

Robot Pants

They don't have to. But they probably realize there's a market for that type of gameplay now without a whole lot of competition at the moment.

Guess so. I always saw Dragons Dogma as their answer to Souls games.
They were different but that was a good thing.

StevieP

Banned
Aliasing should not be a thing on next gen consoles =(.

Aliasing will always be a thing when there are limited computational resources and the developers are making the "sliders" choices for you. The types of AA that are "good" are too computationally expensive for a situation where you have limited resources.

Post-processed AA will probably be more common now, however.

prwxv3

lol.

People were excited long before that.

You could use the same answer to "Why all the sudden are people acting like they don't care?"
See how that works?

Most people thought the game was multiplatform since its reveal since it's from Capcom. And most people were interested in it.

Arnie

TOO. MANY. QUESTIONS.

There's no way, with the cost of next-generation (and current generation) development being what it is, that Capcom would essentially sign the multi-platform rights away for an entire engine for the sake of a few engineers.

Whatever this engine is, it's no doubt being developed to work across PS4, X1, and PC, because the cost of not doing that would be too great.

I'm sure the SCEJ engineers are helping push the first game out the door on the new engine, with the incentive being that it's a PS4 exclusive early on in the platform's life cycle.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Looking forward to it, I may have found the game that pushes me to pay for PS+.

You honestly think this is Sony's answer to Titanfall? Lol

Pretty ballsy for a triple AAA random dungeon generator game. I wish I could see a video and not being stuck with my crappy reception.

I like the Idea, pretty fresh. Not my thing but it's showing this early gen thing when publishers are more likely to take risks

RulkezX

Holy shit this thread took a massive change of direction ( a 180 ? ) from when I left for work this morning.

Looks good to me , always online is fine as well.

nbthedude

Random dumgeons is a deal killer. Part of what makes Dark Souls awesome is the hand crafted design even down to sometimes using cool AI scripts to give enemies personality. Get out of here with generic randomized bullshit.

Wait, there are actually people that don't like Dark Souls? Why?

C'mon son.

I'll just repost what I put in another thread:

Every facet of the game is designed to frustrate the player.

I'm not wasting my not-valuable time fighting the same enemies over and over and over and over and over and over and over just so I can get to the one enemy that killed me the last time and beat him but then get 1-hit-KO'd by something that I can't even see.

I will not tolerate that shit anymore. Maybe I would have 10 years ago but now... I'd rather sit in a chair and do nothing at all... nothing at all for 2hrs than play that shit.

nib95

Banned
Geeze....what happened to the textures?!

I understand the lack of AA, and CG like lighting....but those textures...ouch

That is a very selective shot. Knack has actually been improved a solid degree since its original reveal. Lighting, SSAO, textures etc have all been improved.

Similar story with DriveClub and Killzone Shadow Fall. Big improvements on all first party stuff from E3 to Gamescom.

I'll just repost what I put in another thread:

I will not tolerate that shit anymore. Maybe I would have 10 years ago but now... I'd rather sit in a chair and do nothing at all... nothing at all for 2hrs than play that shit.

Jeez, tell us how you really feel :lol

I agree though, DS isn't for everyone.

Wow, that looks surprisingly awesome. I really loved the trailer. The graphics don't look as good as what was shown in the February conference, but I'd say they are still impressive. The gameplay reminds me of Demon's Souls which is good imo. I'm curious about what the story is going to be and how these memories are connected to this futuristic setting.

I really don't like that it is online-only, though. I'm going to stop short of calling it a deal breaker, but it is pretty damn close.

I used to hate random-generated stuff.

But after playing Spelunky, I came to realize that, if the game design is good enough, randomness can actually add to a game.

Still, it's not all that common.

I'm getting real tired of everyone getting mad that this isn't dark souls. I know DS is a great game but that doesn't mean that it's place an embargo on every game company from make dark fantasy action rpg's

I hit my head against the wall every time compares this to the Soul series. Tell me how are the two even similar except being in the same dungeon crawling genre.

Also this is looking like one of my favourite next gen titles already.

Top Bottom