• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 1 losing Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner after August

WipedOut

What is this non-sense? Bungie are removing the features from the first game that they're hoping to push and monetise in another game. They're not removing the micro-transactions, which apparently pays for everything. Keeping modes in the game should require zero man-power, or already be paid for.

Again, try and keep up with the discussion. These are live timed events.

everyer

Makes sense. I am upset in the fact that they will not be there when I do have the opportunity. Not upset, like, "they took my money" upset. More like, I do enjoy the game, and I will not be able to experience through Destiny 1.

Being too busy with life, work, school, I most likely will not jump on the D2 train right away...and may miss that boat again as it passes onto D3. /sigh

interesting, you can still play the same map same pvp mode in the future Ok? why couldnt you enjoy the same thing? Because the the same map same pvp mode change to a new title called Event?

For those haters who never play the game,IB and TOO are just typical map and mod from destinys original pvp map library and pvp mod library. They are chosen by Bungie, that's all. You can still play all the parts.

If you seldom play this part of the game in the past, shame on you to claim that you will play it in the future. No, you won't.

everyer

What is this non-sense? Bungie are removing the features from the first game that they're hoping to push and monetise in another game. They're not removing the micro-transactions, which apparently pays for everything. Keeping modes in the game should require zero man-power, or already be paid for.

Nonononono. All the pvp maps and pvp modes are still there, IB and TOO have NO exclusive gameplay content.

This isn't surprising considering how they handled the DLC. I don't remember anyone freaking out over that either...

The only competitive mode I would play was control but I hadn't played it in a couple months and thought I'd jump back into it.. Then there was an error message saying I needed to buy the DLC to play a game mode that came with with the $60 base game.

Destiny as a whole launched with a lack of content. Once they started removing the existing content from people who refused to continue throwing money at the game I was over it.

Trace

Banned
This isn't surprising considering how they handled the DLC. I don't remember anyone freaking out over that either...

The only competitive mode I would play was control but I hadn't played it in a couple months and thought I'd jump back into it.. Then there was an error message saying I needed to buy the DLC to play a game mode that came with with the $60 base game.

Destiny as a whole launched with a lack of content. Once they started removing the existing content from people who refused to continue throwing money at the game I was over it.

If you didn't own the DLC, they changed the playlists because most people did own the DLC. You could still play control, it was just mixed into a classic Control/Clash playlist with no DLC content in it, because a classic clash or classic control playlist wouldn't have had enough players to sustain a healthy population by itself.

Monocle

Good point. Okay, this is important. Please listen.

If you care about live/seasonal content in a multiplayer game, do not wait to start playing it until it's 3 years old and a sequel is imminent.

More common sense information at 11. Captain Obvious signing off.
Oh, I've owned the vanilla version for a good 2+ years already. I found its mechanics excellent and its content and in-game narrative lackluster at best.

I was not about to pay a cent more than half price for a game I already own, just so I could access the content that a better game would have included in the base package.

The last time I saw Destiny: The Collection on sale for a reasonable price was during that big XBL event earlier this year. It was $30 the first time I checked and had magically jumped to something like $37 the second.

So thanks for the hot tip with that charming delivery, but I'm good. It's pretty obvious that Bungie is a different company than the one that used to go above and beyond to give their fans the best value for their money. The industry leading developer that made Halo 3 succumbed to anti-consumer trends, and their work hasn't been the same since.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How can you hate on a game so much to the point where you like to waste your time on forums and whatever media just to crap on it every chance you get even though the people who was were are playing it have done everything they can debunk any kind of nonsense being brought up about it.

Lothars

So thanks for the hot tip with that charming delivery, but I'm good. It's pretty obvious that Bungie is a different company than the one that used to go above and beyond to give their fans the best value for their money. The industry leading developer that made Halo 3 succumbed to anti-consumer trends, and their work hasn't been the same since.
Disagree, this is the same bungie that made halo 3 and it shows in the quality of the game.

Monocle

Disagree, this is the same bungie that made halo 3 and it shows in the quality of the game.
All I can say is I wish that had been my experience. Bungie used to be my favorite dev by far.

With people like Joe Staten and Marty O'Donnell gone, you can't really say they're the same team.

Meh, I was never a fan of IB. It being gone after august doesn't really affect me. However, trails on the other hand should have continued till at-least D2s launch

Lothars

There are A LOT of people gone from the Halo era Bungie.
I know and most of them left to work with 343 but that doesn't mean this is a different bungie. The games are just as good they always have been. I still see the same quality that I did with the halo games.

WipedOut

Meh, I was never a fan of IB. It being gone after august doesn't really affect me. However, trails on the other hand should have continued till at-least D2s launch

Dhruv pls, you have been too busy playing forge, yes forge on PC.

When was the last time you even booted up Destiny?

E92 M3

Oh, I've owned the vanilla version for a good 2+ years already. I found its mechanics excellent and its content and in-game narrative lackluster at best.

I was not about to pay a cent more than half price for a game I already own, just so I could access the content that a better game would have included in the base package.

The last time I saw Destiny: The Collection on sale for a reasonable price was during that big XBL event earlier this year. It was $30 the first time I checked and had magically jumped to something like $37 the second.

I own every Bungie game ever released. They are great as always and you don't know what anti-consumer even means.

Dhruv pls, you have been too busy playing forge, yes forge on PC.

When was the last time you even booted up Destiny?

:thinking:

Maybe last week with Math

Forge on PC is pretty great, especially with a controller. Too bad the latest patch broke the FoV mod. The mod author did say that he'll update it. Hopefully he does that soon.

Oh yeah, to run a nightfall.... :brokeback:

Nah we did IB too, a few matches.

Melchiah

They gotta keep the consistency. Every major expansion gated content for people that didn't buy it. Destiny 2 should be the same right?....... Right?

And that's exactly why I'm thinking about waiting a year, and buying the game when the equivalent of TTK comes out. That means I'get the full package for 60€, instead of paying up to 150€ in total for all of them. I would have never returned to Destiny, if a friend of mine hadn't given me TTK for free. Paying that much for a game is out of the question for me.

If you didn't own the DLC, they changed the playlists because most people did own the DLC. You could still play control, it was just mixed into a classic Control/Clash playlist with no DLC content in it, because a classic clash or classic control playlist wouldn't have had enough players to sustain a healthy population by itself.

Last time I checked (3 wks ago) there was only one pvp mode I could play because I didn't have the latest expansion. Classic control/clash was not an option.

FyreWulff

Last time I checked (3 wks ago) there was only one pvp mode I could play because I didn't have the latest expansion. Classic control/clash was not an option.

both DLC owners and non-DLC owners saw a 66% reduction in playlists, but they also countered it by having the free playlist have all the weekly reset trinkets and a free MT drop attached to it, so the free playlist always has a high population of even DLC owners. The vanilla population was no longer supporting the 3 playlists it had.

we went from this absurdity

destiny-crucible-screen-rise-of-iron.jpg.optimal.jpg

to this

search times vastly improved after this change.

mrk8885

Banned
Has there been anyone in this thread actually still actively playing destiny live events who isn't buying 2? AKA the only people this actually affects.

Or is it a bunch of belly aching from people who don't even care about destiny anyways? (Likely. )

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If you've never played Destiny, you don't get to come into a Destiny thread, do nothing but shitpost and pretend to be outraged about something you don't understand, and then get annoyed when people call you out for it.

Obviously people have "the right" to post here, but if they've never played the game, or not played it enough in 3 years to even access these end game PVP playlists, then their criticism is irrelevant, and comes off as nothing more than trolling.

100% agree with you, and not just because I'm a Destiny player.

These aren't feature sets, they are set events....and moving them to the sequel makes sense in a business, hype, lore and resource management way.

Melchiah

Has there been anyone in this thread actually still actively playing destiny live events who isn't buying 2? AKA the only people this actually affects.

Or is it a bunch of belly aching from people who don't even care about destiny anyways? (Likely. )

I've played Destiny since alpha, but had a break between November 2014 and October 2015. I still play the weekly stories and strikes, and at the moment I'm inclining towards passing the sequel at launch in order to buy a "GOTY" version with all the expansions. The matter at hand doesn't affect me though, since I never play PVP.

Two Words

It's shitposting when it's coming from people who don't even play the damn game.

No reasonable members of the Destiny community expected ToO and IB to continue after Destiny 2 launched. Those are hardcore events for dedicated players. That playerbase isn't going to still be playing Destiny 1 after Destiny 2 ships.
I did. They're not that hardcore of an event or even that hard to maintain. They just have to flip a switch to get it going periodically. The reason why this is shitty is because they aren't stopping it because it takes away a lot of resources. They want you to stop playing Destiny 1 and buy Destiny 2. It is shitty for a team to make their former game worse only to make people buy the new game.

The players who buy d1 now because they are sold by d2 and they can't wait to play it, otherwise why players go to buy a dead game with new version coming out right now, just because it's 50% off?
Why did Black Ops II get NPD top 10 when there are like 4 newer versions of CoD?

That game is old and thus must not be worth buying or playing.

I did. They're not that hardcore of an event or even that hard to maintain. They just have to flip a switch to get it going periodically. The reason why this is shitty is because they aren't stopping it because it takes away a lot of resources. They want you to stop playing Destiny 1 and buy Destiny 2. It is shitty for a team to make their former game worse only to make people buy the new game.
Oh, it's just takes the flip of a switch? It doesn't take away a lot of resources? I didn't realize you are a Bungie insider, my bad. I guess all of my points are invalid now, Two Words knows all about how Destiny works behind the scenes. It's just run by a bunch of lazy devs with on/off switches and probably buttons that light up when it's time to release new microtransactions.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
They are removing Live Events from a game that is essentially being put out to pasture. Trials and IB are live events, not persistent events. I don't see what the problem is here. The live team is moving on from D1 to start working on D2.

I also think it's funny that most people bitching in this thread have barely even played the game.

its not just that...they just came here to shit post then get schooled. Soon after they become passive aggressive concerned trolls like why? if you dont like the game what are you doing in destiny threads at all lol. you hardly play the game, you havent invested all the hours others and I put throughout the 3 years with D1...fun ride overall, and there's no elitism at all so stop projecting your insecurities that "we" might have as well as guilt trip us plz...we're not bothered at all that they're removing these features since D2 comes out the following month. If you weren't here for the ride then do everyone a huge favor...kindly step off and move your BS trolling to another game.. :D

lol

The music isn't as good
The level design isn't as good
The storytelling isn't as good (not that Bungie Halo was great, but it was always coherent)
The community updates aren't as good

The PvP balancing is about the same though

Lothars

lol

The music isn't as good
The level design isn't as good
The storytelling isn't as good (not that Bungie Halo was great, but it was always coherent)
The community updates aren't as good

The PvP balancing is about the same though
Well you are allowed to be wrong.

Well you are allowed to be wrong.

I'm not.

-Marty wrote unique and iconic melodies. Michael Salvatori is a good composer who is obviously familiar with Marty's MO, having worked on those scores with him. However, the majority of what I've heard from the expansions isn't on par with Marty's original Destiny motifs or his Halo work, as it lacks memorable themes with true staying power. The Reef had good background music, Crota, Skolas and Oryx's themes were solid, Rise of Iron had good background tracks, there's some well done menu music, and all of that amounts to a dozen or so songs out of over a hundred. That's hardly the same quality ratio.

-Destiny's level design was horrendous. Every map was bogged down because they were anchored to Control, and most of them were full of obnoxious chokepoints and easily abusable thresholds that did not facilitate its competitive game modes. Halo is a very different game, but it did multi gametypes per map way better on account of not being restricted to the 3 lane formula. Fortunately, Bungie seems to be changing this by designing for a smaller, universal player count. Midtown from D2 is as generic and safe as 3 lanes come, but at least it's a good design.

-I don't have time to explain why the storytelling used to be better, but I don't have to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-As for community updates, one word: DeeJ (who ends up typing many unnecessary words)

I guess the Bungie koolaid still tastes good

9BfAjqS.gif

gatti-man

I'm not.

-Marty wrote unique and iconic melodies. Michael Salvatori is a good composer who is obviously familiar with Marty's MO, having worked on those scores with him. However, the majority of what I've heard from the expansions isn't on par with Marty's original Destiny motifs or his Halo work, as it lacks memorable themes with true staying power. The Reef had good background music, Crota, Skolas and Oryx's themes were solid, Rise of Iron had good background tracks, there's some well done menu music, and all of that amounts to a dozen or so songs out of over a hundred. That's hardly the same quality ratio.

-Destiny's level design was horrendous. Every map was bogged down because they were anchored to Control, and most of them were full of obnoxious chokepoints and easily abusable thresholds that did not facilitate its competitive game modes. Halo is a very different game, but it did multi gametypes per map way better on account of not being restricted to the 3 lane formula. Fortunately, Bungie seems to be changing this by designing for a smaller, universal player count. Midtown from D2 is as generic and safe as 3 lanes come, but at least it's a good design.

-I don't have time to explain why the storytelling used to be better, but I don't have to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-As for community updates, one word: DeeJ (who ends up typing many unnecessary words)

I guess the Bungie koolaid still tastes good

9BfAjqS.gif

I'll trade the less great music for raids. Map design is hard to argue with for sure. Deej just seems sent to die most of the time. I've always found Bungie storytelling to be ass. Atleast the grimiore was interesting. Halos story was all over the place and in a single player game should have been easy to convey.

border

What was so great about Halo 3? I went back to it when they put it on Games with Gold and like half the playlists were inaccessible if you didn't own most or all of the DLC. The "anti-consumer" trends have been there for probably a decade or more.

Monocle

What was so great about Halo 3? I went back to it when they put it on Games with Gold and like half the playlists were inaccessible if you didn't own most or all of the DLC. The "anti-consumer" trends have been there for probably a decade or more.
As an overall package it was stunning. You got:

- a full campaign (a little on the short side, but oh well) with tremendous replay value and 4-player co-op
- an explosion of community oriented features like...
- a theater mode with a fully controllable camera that worked in single player and multiplayer
- a map creator / madcap playground that was damn good for a console shooter of its time
- in-game file sharing options
- an online hub that kept an extensive record of player stats, allowed for file management outside the game, and greatly enhanced community engagement compared to Halo 2
- the formalization of favorite custom gametypes like Grifball

Halo 3 was a fully featured package. The only major stumble was Bungie's handling of map packs, which led to a fracturing of the player base. In other areas, Bungie went above and beyond to cater to all players: people who favored solo, co-op, and competitive play. It was a special time for the Halo series.

border

I certainly think Halo 3 was a good package for anyone that bought it. But most of the differences between Halo 3 and Destiny can be attributed to Bungie having a greater focus on PVE content and progressive MMO elements. Destiny could have a similar series of bullet points centered around 6-player raids, a class system, a branching skill tree, a customized equipment/gear system, persistent progress through PVE and PVP, daily/weekly quests, etc. The design goals of the two games are wildly different.....I don't know how one can weigh Destiny's raids against Halo 3's map maker or theater mode. Ideally all the features from Halo could have been carried into Destiny, though I suspect that user data and metrics probably guided their hand.......and all the custom PVP options did not look like they were getting as much support/engagement as was needed to justifiy further development.

That said, Halo 2 and 3 were pretty much the beginning of the trends you identify as anti-consumer. Legacy players who did not buy new content had a lesser experience than those that chose to spend money. Developers like Bungie and Epic tried to offer up free map packs with corporate sponsorships, but for whatever reason that was not sustainable. Once the FPS genre moved to consoles and developers no longer had to compete with free fan-made maps, it was pretty much inevitable that paid maps were going to happen.

Two Words

Oh, it's just takes the flip of a switch? It doesn't take away a lot of resources? I didn't realize you are a Bungie insider, my bad. I guess all of my points are invalid now, Two Words knows all about how Destiny works behind the scenes. It's just run by a bunch of lazy devs with on/off switches and probably buttons that light up when it's time to release new microtransactions.
If Bungie cannot have an event periodically turn on and off with minimal effort, then their development process is complete shit.

FyreWulff

If Bungie cannot have an event periodically turn on and off with minimal effort, then their development process is complete shit.

once again, the event will be non-functional or run very poorly due to the population moving on anyway. I guess having a dead playlist in the UI is better than just sheperding the last 20 people into more functional playlists?

nOoblet16

And that's exactly why I'm thinking about waiting a year, and buying the game when the equivalent of TTK comes out. That means I'get the full package for 60€, instead of paying up to 150€ in total for all of them. I would have never returned to Destiny, if a friend of mine hadn't given me TTK for free. Paying that much for a game is out of the question for me.
Sure a year later, when year 1 content becomes irrelevant. You miss out on the times when they are relevant, so is it really the "full package"?

Destiny is not the kind of game you wait to buy down the line or after all content has come out. It's a live game and by waiting you are basically missing out on things when they will be relevant.

Melchiah

Sure a year later, when year 1 content becomes irrelevant. You miss out on the times when they are relevant, so is it really the "full package"?

Destiny is not the kind of game you wait to buy down the line or after all content has come out. It's a live game and by waiting you are basically missing out on things when they will be relevant.

Depends on how you play it. Most of my play time of +600 hours went to patrols, story, and strikes. I never play PVP, and I only played the raids once. Some not even all the way through due to the hassle of scheduling several hours for them inbetween the weekly resets. It was not an easy task with our middle-aged group. I enjoyed the pick up and play nature of the other parts more, and most of those could be played anytime after the launch.

EDIT: Plus, I actually liked using the exotic gear on year two, that I never managed to get on year one.

Two Words

once again, the event will be non-functional or run very poorly due to the population moving on anyway. I guess having a dead playlist in the UI is better than just sheperding the last 20 people into more functional playlists?
That is a self-fulfilling prophecy since they are abandoning all support. They should support Destiny 1 with these very easy to maintain events and end support when the player base actually drops to the point that matchmaking isn't feasible.

And Destiny fans get mad when people say D2 feels like an expansion and not a new game.

It's because of Bungie doing dumb shit like this.

E92 M3

And Destiny fans get mad when people say D2 feels like an expansion and not a new game.

It's because of Bungie doing dumb shit like this.

D2 will be amazing and I played the first game almost every day since release. Bungie is extremely good at game design.

FyreWulff

That is a self-fulfilling prophecy since they are abandoning all support. They should support Destiny 1 with these very easy to maintain events and end support when the player base actually drops to the point that matchmaking isn't feasible.

It's population is dropping because people play other games (which is fine), there's so many ways to get to max light now anyway (you could literally just go on patrols in the Plaguelands and eventually get to 400 from activities there after landing), and it's a more hardcore more, and the very definition of more hardcore is less population. The "crumple zone" to keep it operating with a reduced population isn't big enough to leave it up.

Elimination, Control, etc will continue to be available permanently. Light Level v Light Level matches are permanently available via private matches, although once again that's been sort of mooted since about everyone that'd be interested in playing that is at... 400. So not only are Trials and Iron Banner not populous enough to exist in D1 anymore, their entire point is mostly moot anyway, so they're redundant to the regular game modes in a consolidation scenario.

Nobody made a peep when they were both deactivated on 360 and PS3. Playlists have been cut from Bungie games when put into stasis for over a decade now. The actual gameplay of these modes is still available in game.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
To be honest, the Destiny content model is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. There's literally no precedent for what they're attempting to do, which is conflate and a service and product model into a single value proposition.

The effect for anyone that bought vanilla Destiny and refused to keep up with the expansions was that the quality of the experience you intially paid for diminished over time, particularly with weekly heroics favouring new strikes/missions and weapons and armour being nerfed over time.

At the same time, you would benefit from certain other updates, but it's hard to argue that - in terms of pure value proposition - you would ever have a fixed 'product'. Yet, this is how the product is predominantly sold: as a fixed product, on a disc, in a box.

That product, in reality, is little more than an access pass for content which is mostly server-based. I'm not about to jump on the 'Bungie be crooks' wagon, but it's certain that they're in uncharted waters and future scrutiny and/or regulation could see them negatively effected.

Melchiah

To be honest, the Destiny content model is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. There's literally no precedent for what they're attempting to do, which is conflate and a service and product model into a single value proposition.

The effect for anyone that bought vanilla Destiny and refused to keep up with the expansions was that the quality of the experience you intially paid for diminished over time, particularly with weekly heroics favouring new strikes/missions and weapons and armour being nerfed over time.

At the same time, you would benefit from certain other updates, but it's hard to argue that - in terms of pure value proposition - you would ever have a fixed 'product'. Yet, this is how the product is predominantly sold: as a fixed product, on a disc, in a box.

That product, in reality, is little more than an access pass for content which is mostly server-based. I'm not about to jump on the 'Bungie be crooks' wagon, but it's certain that they're in uncharted waters and future scrutiny and/or regulation could see them negatively effected.

I'd be fine, if that happened a year after with a meaty expansion like TTK. I quitted the game for nearly a year when the first smaller expansion came three months after the initial release, and locked me out of daily activities. Not to mention, divided our group.

I really don't see the hate. They're not shutting down the pvp portion of Destiny 1. Obviously there is some back-end work required from Bungie to make Iron Banner and Trials work, so why would they waste resources on their old game with the new sequel out. Plus with the pvp system changing in terms of maps and team size, you'd be forced to manage two separate systems functioning at the same time, further dividing your resources. It's not a money grab. If that were the case, then these cries should have been lobbed when they stated that the sandbox team was no longer working on updates or hot fixes back in May/June.

Lol there isnt enough people who would still be playing Trials in Destiny 1 to even support the playlist, you would be pretty much be playing some crazy team with 5 K/Ds who couldn't move on, every game. Fake outrage.

Top Bottom