• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 1 losing Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner after August

MikeBison

These mad overreactions. It's an event which they're obviously not going to keep going when the new game is out and 99% of the player base has migrated to.

Do you really want them spending resources on the old game when they can just focus on the new one?

And for the people saying "if someone buys Destiny 1 now they'll get less of a game" Bollocks. Destiny with the 4 expansions can be had for crazy cheap and you could effectively get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it if you didn't want to get Destiny 2. You'll still be able to raid and all that, just won't be able to do timed PVP events on what will likely be barren servers anyway.

This is no big deal.

Yes. No reason to not have Trials running up to Destiny 2 release, Iron Banner however is per month, right? I don't play Iron Banner because I don't see what's so special about it. But let's say that it's once per month, there's a final one in August.

Yes IB is monthly, but they could still run it in Sept and Oct. If it takes non-trivial amounts of people to run it and check it then they must have done something strange/wrong with their design. It really should just turn itself off and on each month as an automated process.

Another situation where there's a lot of vocal criticism but little actual impact. I imagine the vast majority of people who actually really care about playing trials and banner are going to be getting D2 anyways. Whats the point of continuing in D1 is the rewards become static and the servers become massively depopulated as the competitive scene moves on?

To me this is another turd on the pile of shitty things this shitlord company has done involving Destiny. It just encourages me even more to not buy anything from them, when they should be doing the opposite.

"People who play Destiny don't care, they'll buy D2" is an excuse that misses the point. Poisoned players won't return to the series when they see new poison still, people who recently bought the complete edition because that's what they like doing are less likely to buy the second game if they think by time a complete edition rolls around they won't have much time again before D3 causes stuff to be removed.

mrk8885

Banned
If you actually played Destiny, you wouldn't care about stuff like this lol

He's here to complain, but doesn't even play destiny. Welcome to the internet 2017.

No one (more or less) who is still actively playing destiny cares besides they're coming up to 2 anyways.

Just another topic easy to complain about yet the people it affects don't actually care. Kinda like cross play

mrk8885

Banned
To me this is another turd on the pile of shitty things this shitlord company has done involving Destiny. It just encourages me even more to not buy anything from them, when they should be doing the opposite.

"People who play Destiny don't care, they'll buy D2" is an excuse that misses the point. Poisoned players won't return to the series when they see new poison still, people who recently bought the complete edition because that's what they like doing are less likely to buy the second game if they think by time a complete edition rolls around they won't have much time again before D3 causes stuff to be removed.

It doesn't miss the point. At all. It nails the point.

If someone feels so burned by destiny 1 they probably aren't coming back anyways. And regardless of the manufactured outrage, this affects virtually no one.

Two Words

Lol what? I'm supposed to be mad because they won't keep running events in their old game? Are you serious?
It's sad how these events are considered to be these challenging things that require a lot of resources to have. Just flip a switch and enable it every so often like it's been done these past few years.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm so mad Sega cut the Dreamcast servers off. I wanted to get online points in MVC2 so I can unlock characters.

c0de

I'd actually pay money for Bungie to remove more playlists. The outrage is hilarious. Everyone will be moving to Destiny 2 within 3 months.

So paying again to be able to do the same like now? And what about people buying Destiny now?

c0de

The people who dislike the game and/or don't play it are outraged?
I didn't see that coming.

What? Only people that own Destiny are allowed to talk about it? Next thing is only people who like it are allowed to or what?
If people would be only allowed to talk about stuff they own, we would get rid of 90% of discussions.

It's sad how these events are considered to be these challenging things that require a lot of resources to have. Just flip a switch and enable it every so often like it's been done these past few years.

The game is still going they just moved to a sequel. This is not a normal use case and we shouldn't treat it as such.

Two Words

The game is still going they just moved to a sequel. This is not a normal use case and we shouldn't treat it as such.
"The game is just going they just moved it to a place where you have to pay $60 + expansion costs again to be able to play it." There is no reason they couldn't have it in both Destiny 1 and 2. Obviously if you are ditching Destiny 1 for Destiny 2 then this isn't very impactful to you, but it is still a shifty move.

robo

I just hope they take all tbe pvp away and just have pve!!

Do it bungo!

I can see both sides though.

Would it hurt bungo to keep d1 versions running to xmas and then close em down.

Give those on the fence a bit of time to check out d2 if they want or for those that are getting it for xmas the chance to keep playing all of d1 until they can move over.

Two Words

Oh wait, I get it. Trials and Iron Banner required you to own the expansions of Destiny 1, right? Yes this fits into the whole Destiny 2 looks like an expansion argument :p

c0de

Will people still be able to buy Destiny 1? Digitally and physical? Is there a disclaimer anywhere on the box that tells people which features the game has and until when? Will people get notifications when playing online?

"The game is just going they just moved it to a place where you have to pay $60 + expansion costs again to be able to play it." There is no reason they couldn't have it in both Destiny 1 and 2. Obviously if you are ditching Destiny 1 for Destiny 2 then this isn't very impactful to you, but it is still a shifty move.

Do you play Destiny?

As repetitive as they are, both of those are live events. D1 will no longer be live. People buying the game now still have a chance to get a taste. People buying the game after august still get a full game, but they should understand all live events are done.

c0de

As repetitive as they are, both of those are live events. D1 will no longer be live. People buying the game now still have a chance to get a taste. People buying the game after august still get a full game, but they should understand all live events are done.

But how would they do so? I mean, it's a game made for masses and masses even bought this game. Do you expect millions of well informed gamers out there, seriously?

Two Words

What kind of "live team" do you need to support occasionally turning on an old event?

KJRS_1993

I mean, it's not really a surprise. You can't expect them to keep churning out events for a game which has a sequel. If Overwatch 2 were to come out, I wouldn't expect them to keep putting out events for the original Overwatch.

I feel like GAF needs that YouTube Chrome extension, where if a thread contains the word 'Destiny', it replaces every post with 'Herpaderp Derp'.

c0de

I mean, it's not really a surprise. You can't expect them to keep churning out events for a game which has a sequel. If Overwatch 2 were to come out, I wouldn't expect them to keep putting out events for the original Overwatch.

Perhaps Overwatch 2 will never be a thing because it's all (perhaps paid) content updates that doesn't cut loose to a previous “patch level“. Like Diablo 3, for example.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Feels like Bungie gets its audience: if you're still playing Iron Banner or Trials right now, you probably already have Destiny 2 on pre-order. I loved IB when I was neck deep in Destiny, but I haven't played it in at least a year and even I'm buying Destiny 2.

Also, considering all Bungie is doing to basically reboot D1, it makes sense to stop supporting the game they wish to forget and rather focus on the future. They're not turning servers off; they're just not having weekly/monthly events. Destiny 1 will live on, but those who stick around must be mindful that most of the community will have moved on to D2.

This is like when folks griped about losing the ability to run Nightfalls when they didn't buy The Taken King, saying that Bungie was stealing content from them-- Live events are not content. Live events have to move on with the community, or else they'll be wasted efforts.

And I suspect we'll see Bungie release legacy maps and such in D2 as DLC in the future, maybe even for free during the smaller updates. They'd be crazy not to.

Two Words

Feels like Bungie gets its audience: if you're still playing Iron Banner or Trials right now, you probably already have Destiny 2 on pre-order. I loved IB when I was neck deep in Destiny, but I haven't played it in at least a year and even I'm buying Destiny 2.

Also, considering all Bungie is doing to basically reboot D1, it makes sense to stop supporting the game they wish to forget and rather focus on the future. They're not turning servers off; they're just not having weekly/monthly events. Destiny 1 will live on, but those who stick around must be mindful that most of the community will have moved on to D2.

This is like when folks griped about losing the ability to run Nightfalls when they didn't buy The Taken King, saying that Bungie was stealing content from them-- Live events are not content. Live events have to move on with the community, or else they'll be wasted efforts.

And I suspect we'll see Bungie release legacy maps and such in D2 as DLC in the future, maybe even for free during the smaller updates. They'd be crazy not to.
It doesn't take effort to flip a switch on a mode. It is disingenuous how people are painting this.

Destiny 1 is more dead than Kathy Griffin's career.
Is it really that bad? I know I haven't played in a while, but I wouldn't expect things to be like this. I'm also pretty sure that anytime they had to work on IB or trials, they were taken down in D1.

Don't care anyway, bring on D2.

a harpy

Is it really that bad? I know I haven't played in a while, but I wouldn't expect things to be like this. I'm also pretty sure that anytime they had to work on IB or trials, they were taken down in D1.

Don't care anyway, bring on D2.

500k+ people online yesterday.

It's still going stronger than most games.

These mad overreactions. It's an event which they're obviously not going to keep going when the new game is out and 99% of the player base has migrated to.

Do you really want them spending resources on the old game when they can just focus on the new one?

And for the people saying "if someone buys Destiny 1 now they'll get less of a game" Bollocks. Destiny with the 4 expansions can be had for crazy cheap and you could effectively get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it if you didn't want to get Destiny 2. You'll still be able to raid and all that, just won't be able to do timed PVP events on what will likely be barren servers anyway.

This is no big deal.

If the cross play thread is anything to go by, expect lots of angry responses going "what do you own shares in Bungie" and how this is anti-consumer, etc. Even though what you are saying is exactly what a corporation would do. Keeping the servers up and running without maintenance is one thing, having to include the trials and iron banner effort with a live team is different. One costs more money and resources that would be put to better use on the new game.

Granted, this wouldnt have been an issue if Trials and Iron Banner didnt have automation in it. As others have stated, in similar games with "holidays" they tend to be automated. Either Bungie didnt know how to do that or its a vestige of the shitty tools that would take them a full day to render a scene, who knows. Hopefully they fix that stuff in Destiny 2 as it frees up those resources to work on other content.

FyreWulff

Oh wait, I get it. Trials and Iron Banner required you to own the expansions of Destiny 1, right? Yes this fits into the whole Destiny 2 looks like an expansion argument :p

Iron Banner didn't require DLC until Dark Below came out. Trials has always required the current DLC mostly because it requires you to be end game leveled anyway to even be viable.

Trials and IB were also shut off last year for 360 and PS3.

Top Bottom