• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2, who is buying it?

zMiiChy-

Banned
I'm there day one with bells on.

I'm confident they will listen regarding the supers/fixes suggested so far by the community, loving the new focus on story and since the Beta is bare bones, there will be so much stuff to discover in the first month or so: hyped!!

Also will double dip when PC drops, since my curiosity won't let me not do so.

You're judging a final release content level by a very limited Beta test.... seems a bit off really.

A beta is supposed to be people testing the game (as it is planned to be) before it is released. The "beta" as they called it was anything but that. It was basically a demo of the game and showed how little content the game has to present right now. If that's how they present a "beta" then I don't have high hopes for the game.

(Everyone seems to confuse the words beta and demo)
https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27136/beta-test-gaming

Mikey Jr.

Pass

Bungie doesn't get it.

They need a hard kick in their ass in terms of sales.

Unfortunately, the game will sell gangbusters and it'll be business as usual.

A beta is supposed to be people testing the game (as it is planned to be) before it is released. The "beta" as they called it was anything but that. It was basically a demo of the game and showed how little content the game has to present right now. If that's how they present a "beta" then I don't have high hopes for the game.

The first Beta was also to convince people to go get a new IP. This is literally 2 PvP maps and 1 strike, with a tiny subset of loot. Basically, a real Beta.

Day one for me. Sunshot ❤️

Nope, some things are better than Destiny 1, some things are somehow worse. I wasn't a huge fan of D1 and it was $170 if you got everything when it actually came out and that's excluding all microtransactions. I would have a hard time justifying $170 for some of my favorite games of all time and it's pretty easy to look past that number for a game I find to be lacking where the expansions either add stuff that should be in the vanilla game or are laughably overpriced. So, no.

bosseye

I'm in. Everyone on my old D1 fireteam who has tried the beta has left more or less impressed enough to jump in again. I've got stuff to trade on release.

Huddy

I'm there day one with bells on.

I'm confident they will listen regarding the supers/fixes suggested so far by the community, loving the new focus on story and since the Beta is bare bones, there will be so much stuff to discover in the first month or so: hyped!!

Also will double dip when PC drops, since my curiosity won't let me not do so.

You're judging a final release content level by a very limited Beta test.... seems a bit off really.

I was one of many after experiencing D1 beta that was positive Bungie were holding all their cards close to their chest and we'd be treated to far more depth, features, story upon release. Boy was I wrong, turns out barring a few more planets and a laughable story line, the beta was pretty much representative of the final product.

. . . I think your expectations of what a beta should have in the instance is too high.

This is less open beta "the game is basically done" and more of a network test for tuning the strikes and crucible. As in what an actual beta should be doing.

There is clearly a lot more in the actual game than what is in this beta. You really think one map per Crucible match is representative of final product?

Pepboy

Pass

Bungie doesn't get it.

They need a hard kick in their ass in terms of sales.

Unfortunately, the game will sell gangbusters and it'll be business as usual.

I think it will hit low single digit millions. Still a big title but I think less than they expect. Probably be on sale for $30 within 6 weeks due to overestimating demand.

Mikey Jr.

For me, a few things.

1. No improvements to the social space at all. COD is adding a gun range where you can test different weapons.
No chat functionality at all. Have the option to toggle it off in options if you don't want to see it. Almost nothing has changed from D1. It's just a glorified menu. Everything that can be done in the social space can be done from a drop down menu.

2. Multiplayer reduced to 4v4 across ALL modes. Why? People would go from raids to MP or MP to raids, now you have to ask people in your party to politely fuck off because it's only a max of 4 people now in MP. This also puts a huge strain on people to perform well in multiplayer matches. Each person is contributing 25% to the team.
One person is not doing well? Match is fucked.
One person leaves the team? Match is fucked.

It's why I didn't like the Osiris stuff. 3v3 is way too much for me. My performance alone would be a factor if the team wins or loses.

Its awesome that its there, and if you love it, great. But you need to appeal to the more casual crowd where every game shouldn't be "pull your weight, or we lose". I don't like that man. I like "well, I suck, but there at least 5 other people on the team".

3. That strike feels like it was ripped straight from Destiny 1. There was nothing engaging about it at all. Feels like the typical farming fodder. The type of shit you turn your brain off and run again and again, grinding for some stupid little trinket.

This is a game that makes, Jesus, I don't even know, millions upon millions of dollars, from expansion packs, to microtransactions, to actual game sales.
And with those millions of dollars, this is the best they could do?

Graphics look great, but the actual game is business as usual. For me, I think it comes down to 2 words.

Squandered potential.

I have it paid off on PS4 and just built a gaming PC that will run it great so I'll most likely get it on there as well at a later point.

I enjoyed the PvE side of the Beta. In game graphics are a HUGE step up from vanilla, though gotta remember D1 was a last gen game optimized for current consoles. This feels like a full on current gen game with all the crazy animations and particle effects going on, the attention to detail is amazing. Still worried despite all this, campaign will be short. Like D1 vanilla short, there will be side quests and such sure, but I hope the main campaign is long as all of Y1 put together but that's wishful thinking.

Gunplay is as solid as ever. Hate some of the super slowdown though, however I think in the full version there may be gear that offsets it, like recovery. I had super slow recovery until after doing the strike I was able to get some pieces that had recovery stats on them, made a bit of difference. Strikes feel more involved, and it's probably not something you want to do with randoms who goof off... which might be hard for solo guardians. Nightfall version of Inverted Spire will be insane.

Enemies feel more like bullet sponges though, especially the yellow health bar dudes, though I'd imagine we were playing with a handicap, and we'll have better gear that will allow us to deal more damage.

Opening mission was heartbreaking (mah loot!) and it does have me hook to learn HOW you survive, though they
spoiled what happens to your ghost with the strike.
. The farm also has
a bit of a spoiler regarding a piece of the traveler in the background, at least I think it's the traveler.

PVP is okay, but God help you if you end up against a premade team of pros while you're in a group of randoms. It felt like Trials of Osirus with objectives.

In short, I'm going to wait and see. I'm excited to see how this story plays out, and would love a game when I'm bored to tears with FFXIV. So no pre-order, going to wait until post release.

Fisty

I just don't have the time or patience for the treadmill again. 2014 was a completely different gaming landscape than what we have today, and my backlog is just absurd right now. Not only do I not have the time, I just don't appreciate the timesink, especially seeing how the first game evolved and made things you spent dozens of hours doing completely pointless as new content drops. I am also really worried about what their monetization scheme will end up being, and they might have perfected their addictive game loop.

Maybe year 2 or 3, if it turns out great.

Me.

Didn't care for the first game due to the lack of story, grind and repetitive quests but playing the beta mission and listening to everything Bungie has said convinced me this one will fix most of that.

Pretty excited

misterck

What blow's my mind is that I remember when destiny launched the internet exploded with complaints of fire teams being so small and PvP being only 6v6, this time they've kept the same 3 man fireteams and dropped the PvP to 4v4 wtf? Lol

What makes this even more crazy is I recall their reasoning for these things was last gen console's, now that's gone what is their excuse for downsizing PvP and sticking with 3 man fireteams?

zMiiChy-

Banned
. . . I think your expectations of what a beta should have in the instance is too high.

This is less open beta "the game is basically done" and more of a network test for tuning the strikes and crucible. As in what an actual beta should be doing.

There is clearly a lot more in the actual game than what is in this beta. You really think one map per Crucible match is representative of final product?

If it isn't a beta then it shouldn't be referred to as a beta. So yeah, my expectations of a game when it calls itself a beta is to actually play a beta. If it were a demo, it would be understandable. So either they don't understand the purpose of a beta or the content for the game is going to be seriously lacking.
(Bug and glitch testing for the campaign is irrelevant or is the campaign itself entirely irrelevant?)

I already broke the cycle by skipping Rise of Iron.

Destiny 2 seems like a few steps above a TTK style expansion but thats about as far as I would go describing it. Its tweaks to the existing formula but nothing has really dramatically changed.

Campaign has story now which is nice but the PVP changes seem for the worse and strikes just feel the same.

Cant say they have done enough to pull me back but I gave the beta a honest go.

woahitsshant

Neo Member

There is no winning with some people. After the launch of Destiny 1, all Bungie heard is how much of the core content was in the beta. As a result they've limited the content in the Destiny 2 beta. Not to mention that this is no longer a new IP, they don't need to sell people on it. Mostly everyone participating has an idea of what to expect. Also, they've gathered a ton of data on their networking, balance changes (slow cool downs, grenade damage, melee damage, etc). Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.

Me.

Didn't care for the first game due to the lack of story, grind and repetitive quests but playing the beta mission and listening to everything Bungie has said convinced me this one will fix most of that.

Pretty excited

How have they convince you of that? I see a short campaign, one raid and a few strikes.

Still on the fence - it depends on how much content they have at launch. And if i still need to trawl through DestinyLFG reddit to find a raid group...

Trickster

I'm only interested in the pc version. As such I will have plenty of time to see what reviews and people say about the game.

Right now I'm not sold however. The way they are marketing Destiny 2 is giving me Destiny 1 dejavu in bad ways. They are basically going the route of "show very little and say very little" once again. It's a great strategy if you have an amazing game and want to shock and amaze people when they get their hands on the game. But after Destiny 1, I just can't really bring myself to take it on good faith that this will be the case.

SkylineRKR

I skipped RoI, and I will likely skip D2. Its largely the same with some things done better and others worse (mainly the weapon slots).

I don't believe in a decent campaign, its still wave killing. Though this is a step up. The strikes won't be much different either and the bosses are still dumb. PvP not a fan of this time around. I have enabled exactly one super in 3 games, one game I had a 10 kill streak and no death while controlling B and still not enough. That one was called off by Shaxx by mercy rule though. I don't like the way weapons are allocated, feels like a mess to me. Heavy ammo for a fucking Fusion rifle, seriously? I'd rather stick to my Pulse then. Whats the difference between AR and Submachine gun? I used both that and the Arc Risk Exotic and while the exotic is nice when someone arc damages you, I sometimes forgot which of the 2 classes I was using..

The 4 v 4 feels good, its not really spammy. But I wouldn't mind 5 v 5, that was never my issue in D1. The unbalanced supers and nades were. They went too far with super cooldown now I think. Map is uninspired and very small, suited for 4 v 4 but I fear every map will be like this.

The gameplay itself is still good, dunno the meta but I still kind of beasted with Pulse Rifle after a 2 years hiatus. Always played Hunter back then and now Warlock so I don't feel comfortable with my jumps yet.

Nameless

Not sure. Though I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Destiny, I burned out on Year 1 and TTK fairly quickly. It'll depend on the improvements they make to PVE, especially the end game loop, and what else I'm playing at the time.

NastyBook

Still buying it. Don't know if I'm down for Day one anymore, though. PvP fucking over PvE weapon allocation has soured me on the entire thing. A fucking SHOTGUN shouldn't be a heavy weapon during a Raid, Bungie. You dipsticks.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'll wait for reviews/impressions. If it has a good 15-20 hours of unique content at launch I think it will be worth it. Time will tell.

Tainted

I simply cannot play FPS's with a console controller, so I will check out the PC beta when it comes out. Whether or not I buy the full game will be based purely on my regular playing buddies if they decide to buy it as well.....but at this stage it is looking unlikely.

Was able to pre-order the PC version for 50% off so I bit. Not sure if I'll keep it yet, but the console versions launching earlier at least gives me some time to gather impressions and decide.

I'll wait for reviews/impressions. If it has a good 15-20 hours of unique content at launch I think it will be worth it. Time will tell.

Should have at least 50 hours of unique content. 10 hour main campaign. 40 hours open world, strikes and raid.

I didn't buy Rise Of Iron so this was my first time playing Destiny in over a year and I was drawn back. Played the mission once and strike once and turned if off. I still like I'll probably buy, but I will wait for reviews and I won't lock myself into future DLC with the deluxe edition just save $5.

This is subject to change if Bungie shows us more prior to launch. I kinda feel about this game the way I felt about Mass Effecr Andromeda after being so hyped at first and now just numb.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I played the beta and did a lot of the crucible mode, honestly this just looks a lot like destiny 1 with just a few more cool abilities tacked on, i failed to see the wow factor that would have piqued my interest. While i liked Destiny 1 for awhile honestly i'm no hurry to get the sequel, maybe when it comes to pc...with a fair discount. Also i wonder how the hardcore Destiny players feel.

I played the beta and did a lot of the crucible mode, honestly this just looks a lot like destiny 1 with just a few more cool abilities tacked on, i failed to see the wow factor that would have piqued my interest. While i liked Destiny 1 for awhile honestly i'm no hurry to get the sequel, maybe when it comes to pc...with a fair discount. Also i wonder how the hardcore Destiny players feel.

I put over 600 hour into Destiny 1. Does that count as hardcore? II'm severely underwhelmed if this truly representative of the sequel.

Raven117

Should have at least 50 hours of unique content. 10 hour main campaign. 40 hours open world, strikes and raid.

I didn't buy Rise Of Iron so this was my first time playing Destiny in over a year and I was drawn back. Played the mission once and strike once and turned if off. I still like I'll probably buy, but I will wait for reviews and I won't lock myself into future DLC with the deluxe edition just save $5.

This is subject to change if Bungie shows us more prior to launch. I kinda feel about this game the way I felt about Mass Effecr Andromeda after being so hyped at first and now just numb.
50 hours?! Lol what am I reading?

I want more destiny content as much as the next guy, but wow, that's a sky high expectation.

Yup. I'm day one. Dug D1 (800 hours) enjoyed what I played D2 beta.

Plus, beetching online about it is almost as fun as playing it! So the whole experience is highly entertaining!

Come on sept!

Top Bottom