• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azriell

I don't think this is real. To my amature eye, the screen doesn't seem to cast any light on the joysticks. In fact, the more I stare at the picture, the more the screen looks like its just a big, vividly colored sticker that's being illuminated by the flash (for example, the right side of the screen seems much darker than the rest of the screen). It's a minor detail, I guess, but the unit also has no handles, while the patent illustrations do. The joysticks appear seamless, which is impossible.

If it's real, I'll pass on NX. But I think Nintendo is on its way to returning back to the realm of near-normalcy, not gallivanting off to even stranger extremes.

Damn, that's ugly.

200w.gif

Schnozberry

Guy just took a bunch of rumors and other patents and slapped them together.

Looks like a 3D Printer special plus photoshop to me. It's way too close to the patent image to be a final controller design. Those are usually concept drawings before you even hit the prototype stage and run into all the realities of ergonomic and industrial design.

wig

What in the fuck. It looks... interesting. Playing console games with touch screen buttons sounds like a nightmare tho.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dear god I hope thats fake (and certainly looks like it)... but given their track record with non-traditional controllers I don't think people should expect anything "normal" outside of maybe a secondary alternative like the Wii U pro controller.

prwxv3

it was indeed the revolution.

a controller only to be used by one hand. this wasnt possible before.

oh and about sony/ms stealing this.... lol it happened with move and it happens again with all this VR-craze right now.

Wat. VR is nothing like what Nintendo did wih the WiiU. And if you are talking about asymmetric multiplayer I am not going to count that because of everyone under the son procalaming that VR can't be a social experience.

This thing looks ugly as sin, but the more I think about it, it could be kind of amazing if this thing has touch. This is especially interesting if it has multi-touch, specifically optimized for fingers. This thing has a world of control possibilities that the Gamepad failed to achieve.

For example:
- Due to the smaller size, it looks entirely comfortable to use with touch controls and traditional controls simultaneously.
- You could design custom button layouts on this thing. Imagine putting a wheel, switches, extra buttons, or even using both thumbs to zoom or rotate maps, all while having precise traditional controls.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This thread is full of people who've not seen the patent pics....

Real products never, ever, look exactly like the often crudely-made patent drawings.

SalvaPot

What is in the photo even?

It just looks like the patent recreated, really. I am not going to lie I love the idea of the screen but I can't see Nintendo saying goodbye to buttons.

Protann

Geez, people are really flipping out about this thing. I'm not opposed to this, if it's real. It seems like the kind of weird, silly looking thing that Nintendo would do that everyone initally turns their nose up at... Every Nintendo controller since N64 has been weird looking. What matters is how it plays, and we don't know that until it's in our hands. My main concerns are how quality the haptic buttons and haptic DPad will be, and how it's truly different from the Wii U gamepad.

As for the "your hands will obstruct the screen" thing, I don't think it really matters- it's essentially a Vita screen that doesn't have borders. I assume developers will be able to do whatever they please with that screen space, including just having it be images of buttons where the haptic buttons are.

We can probably kiss goodbye to any 3rd Party aspirations for NX, though. Nintendo better be holding some killer info about this thing back, because right now I could totally see this being Wii U 2.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It has buttons. Haptic.

Either this would have to use some incredibly amazing new haptic tech, or it's still not even in the same universe as actual buttons.

Seriously, no buttons no buy. I don't do shitty touch controls on phones and I'm definitely not accepting them on a console.

Sorcerer

What is in the photo even?

It just looks like the patent recreated, really. I am not going to lie I love the idea of the screen but I can't see Nintendo saying goodbye to buttons.

That picture on the screen is something we have seen before, it looks familiar. I wonder if the fake is so crude that's its just a sticker.

MiguelItUp

Making history! Honestly I don't really know what to make of any of this. It looks odd, can't really jump on the fake bandwagon though. Not yet at least. I mean, Nintendo has done some strange / innovative things in the past that were pretty strange. If this is indeed a prototype of what becomes the NX controller, I wouldn't be too shocked.

I believe this is real. But then again I'm an idiot who was fooled by the Rayman "leak" so who knows.

It absolutely looks like a development prototype, complete with the cord that attaches to a devkit (final build would be wireless). And the framerate counter tracking what looks like a UE4 tech demo. Of course, no modern Nintendo controller would be complete without a camera, microphone, and stereo speakers, all present in the picture.

It's all adding up to me; Nintendo is dense enough to try something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom