• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
Why wouldn't you take a picture of it? Why is the only picture we have based on a design of a patent, which wasn't a design patent?

I've no idea. I'm just replying to your post which seemed to imply that just because we can only see a controller in the picture that there is no console.

What use would a photo of a metal box be anyway? If any of this is true, the interesting part is surely the elliptical free form display controller, no?

I know which part i would be taking covert photos of anyway...

Venom Fox

Banned
Looks like a Canyon
I don't know, still looks like loft/attic insulation to me. The "rocks" to the left look like plastic wrapping and there's some weird black glitch or something in the upper part of the screen.

Who knows? Exited even more for the NX now. I do think this screen is faked though. For now.

I think a Pro controller led Wii U (that didn't cost as much due to the gamepad being optional in this scenario) would have made the system a lot more successful

It's the best feeling controller I have used since maybe the SNES one. They could put a free form screen in it for simple tasks like Quick Menu etc - something of a easy design like the Apple Watch with it's bubbles app.

Here are some thoughts I found - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmXzGSbxrk

They could do free form for a new handheld with display screen wrapped around the top screen with speakers and camera - if you use the 3DS if a example. It's a neat concept but likely better for other technology.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How much worth is a home console devkit without a home console? Thats what we are looking at.

Except the console/devkit is most likely under that black cutout box. It is pretty obvious.

Oersted

The most dodgy thing is that Nintendo wouldn't actually make a patent illustration that looks exactly like the final product, right? That just seems silly.

The picture looks convincingly real but it doesn't feel right. I hope it's just a fake.

Patent illustrations for design patents. The freeform controller patent was not a design patent.

I've no idea. I'm just replying to your post which seemed to imply that just because we can only see a controller in the picture that there is no console.

What use would a photo of a metal box be anyway? If any of this is true, the interesting part is surely the elliptical free form display controller, no?

I know which part i would be taking covert photos of anyway...

Everyone would take a picture of the console.

E-Cat

I respectfully disagree about the Wiimote. It was already ready for what they wanted to do with it at launch or else Wii Sports wouldn't have been the massive hit that it was. By the time the Wii gen was over, we had perfect 1:1 motion controls with the Wiimote+.

BTW, I don't think anyone is reasonably expecting PS4-level specs, based on comments, rumors and speculation. I think even if there is no pricy gimmick, we will likelier see a cheaper console to buy instead of a more powerful one.
I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. If you look at the original Wii introduction trailer, some of the stuff they were showing off was way too advanced for Wiimote 1.0. Wiimote+ did tack on '1:1' control, but it was still not totally solid. Some games did work okay without 1:1, I suppose.

PS4 level is already 'cheap', it will have been out for three years by the NX launch. So, it's not like Nintendo would be launching a cutting-edge console.

How our standards have fallen.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To be fair, he didn't say this for a fact at all. He reasonably speculated it based on information about Zelda U being cross-platform and that port coming this year, which points to an NX console release but doesn't definitively say it. (Someone please do correct me if I'm misremembering this.)

IIRC I'm fairly certain it wasn't speculation.
I'll look for the quote.

The most dodgy thing is that Nintendo wouldn't actually make a patent illustration that looks exactly like the final product, right? That just seems silly.

The picture looks convincingly real but it doesn't feel right. I hope it's just a fake.

Nintendo's name was never on the patent, to be fair. Was found by someone searching for individual patent filers I think, somehow.

Could someone please take the time to explain what is supposed to be oh so outrageous and revolting about the mock up/fake/ leak ? (Assuming this is the handheld)

Like, people wanted Nintendo to go with a decent quality screen, include 2 analogue sticks and (overall) have parity with a normal controller since the 3DS launched.

I just don't get it, the only difference between the Vita and this seems to be the slightly more oval shape, the bigger screen and the lack of physical face buttons (which, if Nintendo were to use one of their previous patents, the changable controls thing where you could swap the second stick for physical buttons, would be no big deal or it could be changed anyway).

Just ???

I'm fully on board if they release a tweaked version (with maybe detachable handles) this fall.

I'm with you. It looks slick, light, and I can imagine some interesting possibilities. Even if the leak is real, I imagine the final version of the controller will indeed look a bit different.

I can't think of a single game on PS4 that wouldn't be playable on that thing so I'm not sure where that particular complaint is coming from. Unless there is only one shoulder button, but we don't know that yet.

We'll see, that's all.

ChaosXVI

Yeah I'm on the "very well done fake" train as well. Something about the image does just seem off. But I can't exactly place what it is. Also to echo what many have said, I really wouldn't expect Nintendo to make the final hardware look identical to a general patent image.

But man...if it's real, I don't want to be within a mile of the person who leaked it.

E-Cat

Do you honestly think motion controls would be 'perfected' at this point without Nintendo taking the leap 10 years ago? This is how technology evolves. It always requires someone to stick their neck out.
I'd really prefer them not to be the martyr every time. I need my SVOGI rendered Mario.

Sorry I only know what my friends disclose to me, I am no full on insider, I just got told that its an awesome piece of kit, very powerful, and will excite and surprise people again!

I do believe that Nintendo have a great amount to prove again and that's why I believe from Iwata statements this will be nothing like wii or wii u and thus no backwards compatibility, this will allow more power!

Galava

Whoah, WHAT IF?

You can remove the sticks and change them for a piece that has all the physical buttons. It plugs inside the "hole" and the physical buttons get placed over the screen itself.

I'd make a mockup, but don't have enough time now, hope you understand the idea.

The_Lump

Banned
The more I look at the image on the screen, the more intriguing it becomes. It seems to be some large rocky pillars with maybe a waterfall/ice int he background? Not sure exactly.
rLdUFzE.jpg

The irregular shaped black area above the right analogue stick seems to be the underside of a platform connect the left and right hand columns, imo.

Whoah, WHAT IF?

You can remove the sticks and change them for a piece that has all the physical buttons. It plugs inside the "hole" and the physical buttons get placed over the screen itself.

I'd make a mockup, but don't have enough time now, hope you understand the idea.

The patent actually talks about removable/replaceable sticks.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Has this thread been deigned as some "good for ad revenue" initiative?

Hermii

I think the most damning thing about this being a fake at this point is that the original post is still around... Nintendo ninjas should have eaten this up to hell and back by now if it was real.
Maybe they changed their strategy. Leaving people to question it is better than "confirming" it that way.

I still believe it's fake btw.

Harlequin

Yeah I'm on the "very well done fake" train as well. Something about the image does just seem off. But I can't exactly place what it is. Also to echo what many have said, I really wouldn't expect Nintendo to make the final hardware look identical to a general patent image.

But man...if it's real, I don't want to be within a mile of the person who leaked it.

Not saying it's real but if it is, then this likely won't be the final design, merely an early prototype.

Why do people think it wouldn't look like the patent drawings?

Good question. If they had a patent for an unreleased device with a 16:9 rectangle screen (and they do) I don't think people would call a photo resembling it fake based on the similarity to a patent.
I'm in two minds about it, the elliptical screen and integrated sticks are novel features but the point about them is to make as much of the surface a screen as possible, the patent didn't show a design any more than showing the screen shape and stick positions, the rest isn't the same as the drawings.

Plinko

To be fair, he didn't say this for a fact at all. He reasonably speculated it based on information about Zelda U being cross-platform and that port coming this year, which points to an NX console release but doesn't definitively say it. (Someone please do correct me if I'm misremembering this.)

Trev said his source at Nintendo believes the console comes out first. I just checked out the thread. It wasn't a guarantee, but what his source thought.

RhyDin

Why do people think it wouldn't look like the patent drawings?
No idea. Someone posted WiiU gamepad patents and it looks the exact same as final product.

I'm sure there will be minor variations to the consumer product, but I believe this is real. I don't believe an enthusiast could pull off the manufacturing of something like this, even in today's DIY hacker culture tech world. Everything looks legitimate to me.

Assuming real, this will certainly get tons of people talking about the product when unveiled. I just can't believe there are no physical face buttons - everyone hates touch handheld gaming. Everyone. Why do this? The only cool thing apparent so far would be the departure of jaggies on a Nintendo handheld, since it appears to have some horsepower behind it from the graphic, but that is thrown out the window for the touch gaming. I can't play a game where the shoulder buttons are the primary action buttons.

Wildean

Well fake or real, that doesn't look great as an example of how a product based on the patent might look. A buttonless controller makes a certain amount of sense, as it gets back to the Wii idea that the complexity of modern controllers was off putting for casual players.

Though with PlayStation VR coming out this year it's going to be tough to compete for column inches this autumn in the run up to Xmas, particularly in mainstream media. This certainly wouldn't have the wow factor.

Oersted

No idea. Someone posted WiiU gamepad patents and it looks the exact same as final product.

I'm sure there will be minor variations to the consumer product, but I believe this is real. I don't believe an enthusiast could pull off the manufacturing of something like this, even in today's DIY hacker culture tech world. Everything looks legitimate to me.

Assuming real, this will certainly get tons of people talking about the product when unveiled. I just can't believe there are no physical face buttons - everyone hates touch handheld gaming. Everyone. Why do this? The only cool thing apparent so far would be the departure of jaggies on a Nintendo handheld, since it appears to have some horsepower behind it from the graphic, but that is thrown out the window for the touch gaming. I can't play a game where the shoulder buttons are the primary action buttons.

The WiiU gamepad patent was a design patent.

The freeform display patent was not a Design patent.

Genio88

I really hope that's a fake, like it actually seems, that thing looks so ugly and uncomfortable, i understand that Nintendo always want to try new things rather than follow the others console, though this would not be the way at all

ksamedi

I have to agree, but to be optimistic, assuming the analogs are also buttons, it does give a lot of options. Most of the time you use a couple of buttons in games anyway, the rest of the buttons are used primarily for secondary functions. Im fine if those are touch buttons (like a reload button). The upper shoulder buttons are also haptic mouse wheel like buttons from what is said, which opens up a lot of interface options as well.

eso76

duh, I was looking at the pic on my phone and i didn't even understand that was a real image on it, i thought it was some aluminium sheet reflecting the environment...
I just noticed there are buttons too.
A (barely visible) B and a right arrow.

I think manufacturing an oval screen would be unpractical and way too expensive though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom