• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
post-41676-senor-Chang-have-you-met-me-gi-4hRW.gif

-Nintendo

Beautiful. And pretty true.

Harlequin

A savonette is the metal cover of the watch pictured above. If the controller has one, then that explains the sticks as you cannot have them poking out too much. It also begs the question of whether or not the controller is also a portable or whether the guy took a picture of the 3ds successor and not the home console controller.

What if they're one and the same thing?

The_Lump

Banned
This thread is huge and it has probably been brought up, but the sticks look like they could use the Touchence tech.

And yes, the bezel is quite nice. While many posters here seem to fear the lack of buttons, I think once it is fully explained, it is something that many people would be compelled to try. Especially if haptics are a go.

Nice find! That's exactly the sort of thing they seem to be (if real), as I can't see a gap between the base of the stick and the housing, implying the whole shaft doesn't rotate as per conventional sticks.. Interesting.

Yup the marketing and reveal for this sort of thing will be vital. Given the botched WiiU reveal I'm both nervous for them and hopeful that they might have learned from that...

Oersted

"I'm a developer" is hardly revealing.

What's more: there is a huge difference between getting yourself in trouble and throwing your entire studio under the bus by revealing something which could give away which devkit it is.

I actually still don't think it's real, fyi. I jus think ots a good fake.
Not sure why you're getting so annoyed tbh.

Saying what you are is by definition revealing lol

E-phonk

Banned
My problem is that I don't see why they think this would respond to the problems Wii U has. This uses almost exactly the same gimmick. Except now the screen takes up more of the controller.
The gimmick was never WiiU's problem.
Amongst it's many problems i would say the complexity (it has 9 buttons, a DPAD, 2 sticks and 2 triggers) for it's new audience it build with DS/Wii are part of it.

ockface2_zpsfgb2rkn2.jpg

A savonette is the metal cover of the watch pictured above. If the controller has one, then that explains the sticks as you cannot have them poking out too much. It also begs the question of whether or not the controller is also a portable or whether the guy took a picture of the 3ds successor and not the home console controller.

I thought that's what he meant at first but it looks like he's french and Savonette is also french for bar of soap, which fits the conversation.

beril

I actually think this visually looks pretty cool.

My problem with it isn't that I think the idea is stupid, nor do I think the controller looks ugly or uncomfortable.

My problem is that I don't see why they think this would respond to the problems Wii U has. This uses almost exactly the same gimmick. Except now the screen takes up more of the controller.

The only gameplay change really over the Wii U is customizable input interfaces but same old problem as always - if there are no raised surfaces for a regular input method, then it's an inferior input mechanic to a physical button.

I agree, if it is a console controller.
But nothing in the leak says it's a controller, and the image looks like a handheld, so it's probably a handheld.
I'll miss face buttons and a d-pad; but with dual analogs and shoulder buttons you can still have physical inputs for most stuff and just use touch for secondary inputs.

The_Lump

Banned
I think something like this (quick and dirty editing job of your image) would make more sense, there's no reason for the waste.

This would also solve the problem of the thumbs being slightly in contact with the screen while using the sticks. (Unless you arched them, but that would probably be uncomfortable)

It would still leave space above the sticks for context-dependent touch screen buttons + HUD + effects.

Hmm. You'd lose the ability to have context sensitive buttons below the sticks though. Which seems to be the most obvious application to me.

maxcriden

You are right. I disagreed with this logic because a new handheld could potentially have the power to pull off Wii U games, but most likely at a lower res.

I feel the same way. But the fact is the only concrete leak we have is Trev's piece of paper. The rest of what he said I do believe, but it's not quite as concrete as an actual internal document like that.

It's a German word for that kind of watch.
The reddit conversation was about it looking like a bar of soap before he mentioned the Savonette word though, and he used another French word for applying Scotch tape. anyway it's round & smooth with a face cover on, whatever it is.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How would a screen like that even be manufactured? I though non-square screens were stupid expensive to make, which is why lots of round smart watches actually use square ones with large bezels, and that screen is beyond irregular. Also looks fucking horrible in every way.

The reddit conversation was about it looking like a bar of soap before he mentioned the Savonette word though, and he used another French word for applying Scotch tape.

Alrighty then, Beyond Good & Evil 2 cancelled, thanks Ubisoft janitor!

But really, now if the official NX controller doesn't at least incorporate some of this craziness I might be disappointed. Kind of like how Quantic Dream showed off that robot girl demo and then released Beyond and everyone was disappointed that it wasn't the robot girl. Plus it sucked!

Mess at how many people don't like this concept

This is better than what your faves can churn out. MeSS

SiT down and stay preSSED at how Nintendo will SLAY once agAIN!

stay_pressed.gif

beril

Honestly I'm starting to lean towards real.
The design of the sticks feel too unique to be fake; but they make sense for a handheld where you don't want protruding things getting stuck when you pull it out of your pocket/bag.

BahamutPT

Hmm. You'd lose the ability to have context sensitive buttons below the sticks though. Which seems to be the most obvious application to me.

But having the context sensitive buttons below the sticks would be prone to what I mentioned about slightly touching the screen.
When I'm playing my 3DS I notice my left thumb often touches the console body and D-Pad below (mostly with upwards movements). On a touchscreen that would probably be recognized.

Air

Banned
Real or fake, I think it looks great and has a lot of potential to really change things up. I can understand the skepticism, but this is the kind of tech I can appreciate.

Peltz

Nintendo has truly lost it if that is real. Doubling down on the Wii U concept in such a spectacular blaze of stubborn stupidity would be just.... Mind blowing.

That CAN'T be real!?

Shiggy

Honestly I'm starting to lean towards real.
The design of the sticks feel too unique to be fake; but they make sense for a handheld where you don't want protruding things getting stuck when you pull it out of your pocket/bag.

Waiting for the headlines:
Gunman Clive Maker Says NX Controller Picture Is Real!

Papacheeks

Banned
So has this been verified as real? Or is it just a really good fake?

If it is real, this is going to bomb like hardcore, unless their focus is really on mobile type of IP's. Which with the touch controls instead of physical buttons would make sense.

But I don't think a lot of people would get behind this. If I have to use that monstrosity of a controller to play Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Then I will pass on Nintendo....again. :(

But having the context sensitive buttons below the sticks would be prone to what I mentioned about slightly touching the screen.
When I'm playing my 3DS I notice my left thumb often touches the console body and D-Pad below (mostly with upwards movements). On a touchscreen that would probably be recognized.

nintendo's patent actually goes into this and ways to disregard unintentional inputs.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm going to reserve judgment til we get a true reveal and I can use it myself, but I have nothing but concerns for that controller.

Like....how on Earth am I playing Smash with that?

Sakurai is always good with giving people more choices with controllers so I wouldn't worry.

The_Lump

Banned

Possibly. But these sticks seem more raised than 3DS.

I guess I'm thinking more from Pro controller layout perspective (buttons below/side of sticks rather than Dual Shock or Xbone pad (above)

Iwata did say that NX would absorb the Wii U architecture. Maybe he meant not in computer spec terms but more in terms of design.

I don't think it's terrible, just different. If this was a combined system, where what we see is both the NX handheld, and the main controller for the console. That would be quite cool. They would basically have one system that covers both markets.

I do think the screen space is somewhat wasted, but at the same time it makes things more immersive. It looks quite sleek too IMO.

If this is real that is. If not it's a pretty good fake.

Wow, 52 pages..... the most amazing part is that some people still believe that this is real. The NX reveal is going to be big thats for sure.

That's a really dumb controller. I hope it's fake.

The extra screen size is near-useless since it'll be covered up.
"But it's okay because the main action still fits in the middle"
So now you've just added a lot of expensive-to-manufacture, performance-sucking (both in battery-life and GPU-rendering terms) screen pixels that are mostly useless.

And the obvious question is who wants this? Who would look at that and think, "What a brilliant idea, please take my money!"

Controls that take up a large part of the screen is one major thing that sucks about smartphone gaming. Are Nintendo trying to make their handheld business model as obsolete as possible?

Having the alternate design that someone mocked up (sticks at the bottom screen edge, with two small oval hand holds) is better in every conceivable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom