• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: Destiny 2 PS4 First Look + Frame-Rate Test

Never played a Bungie game until Destiny happened, was disappointed with how the gunplay movement and animation felt. Felt so substandard compared to the rest! And then Destiny 2 event happened and it looked and felt frustratingly similar to the first!

Trace

Banned
Screenshot_venus02.jpg

WeRiseAgain-01.jpg

destiny_hive_screen_64079.jpg

d2_titan_gear_01.jpg

Can you tell which ones are from OG Destiny?

Only the last one is Destiny 2, but god damn Destiny looks good.

Destiny 1 looks amazing and feels even better. The gunplay is leagues better than any other shooter.

Destiny 2 improved on 1. No last gen holding it back along with a new and improved engine.

Sept 8th, COME HERE NOW

-hadouken

Looks really good. Cant wait for the pro vs Scorpio comparo
You're in for disappointment. It'll be the same assets, same effects but checkerboard on Pro vs native on XboxNext. Happy to get a wager going on this if anyone is inclined.

Destiny has always been about parity - it's the wrong game to showcase the advantages of the Scorpio.

anothertech

Only the last one is Destiny 2, but god damn Destiny looks good.
First and last actually. The first shot is a new zone.

There's definitely a difference, but it's subtle. Most of the improvements are going to be ease of use and qol stuff in D2. That's why the backlssh with this reveal, a lot of us were expecting a lot bigger jump and it's really not. You have to look pretty hard to see it.

Dynomutt

Never played a Bungie game until Destiny happened, was disappointed with how the gunplay movement and animation felt. Felt so substandard compared to the rest! And then Destiny 2 event happened and it looked and felt frustratingly similar to the first!

That's crazy cause that's what Destiny is usually known for.

Toa Axis

There's definitely a difference, but it's subtle. Most of the improvements are going to be ease of use and qol stuff in D2. That's why the backlssh with this reveal, a lot of us were expecting a lot bigger jump and it's really not. You have to look pretty hard to see it.
The first shot is from Venus in the first game.

Blackage

I kind of understand why they went for a capped 30FPS with this game on console, but a shooter @ 30FPS just feels off to me.

That said I am looking forward to playing this series @ 60 FPS+ on PC, hopefully Blizzard helps them with the port so the optimization is on point.

It's practically identical visually. This is fact.

QOL and ease of use doesn't make a sequel. That's what a patch is for.

#NotMySequel

atpbx

I don't know what people were expecting.

Luke Smith is in charge, of course it's going to be as low effort as possible.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't know what people were expecting.

Luke Smith is in charge, of course it's going to be as low effort as possible.

Well, considering the factual large amount of effort that went into The Taken King, would you mind explaining how what you just said makes any sense?

I'll wait.

scoobs

.....hahaha I hope this isn't a serious post. The story mission showed a major upgrade in visuals.

from a technical perspective, what are they doing that's an upgrade? Do you have those facts or are you just saying you think it looks better? Because to my eyes, it just looks like Destiny.

from a technical perspective, what are they doing that's an upgrade? Do you have those facts or are you just saying you think it looks better? Because to my eyes, it just looks like Destiny.

No, I don't. I'm saying it is very easy to tell how better it looked. They dropped 360 and ps3 support and the reveal very much shows that graphically. How does that look identical to destiny 1 at all?

jmartoine

They added rain. I guess they have that going for it.

border

At this point I think the Bungie Destiny team is working on a content pipeline that can accomodate frequent and significant updates, rather than trying to make the game run at a higher framerate or look jaw-droppingly better. That is as it should be. In a perfect world Destiny 2 would have improvements across the board, but since that doesn't seem to be possible then I just want them to provide more regular updates.

The art style in Destiny is really strong. With all the intense lighting and particles, the changes and improvements there will probably be much more impressive then we have seen so far. Or maybe I hope that much. On the other hand, the cloth and armor of the character models look much better and I'd be interested to see some of the more detailed guns over the sleek, minimal ones shown so far to compare between the two games.

Destiny's graphics never bothered me though and I don't really see why they matter much from a consumer or critical standpoint. DF confirming the return of rock solid framerate on consoles is enough for me, but I might not be invested since I plan on getting the game on PC anyways. The game doesn't look bad so why do the graphics keep becoming an issue? Improvement for the sake of improvement? I'm much more interested in the under-the-hood gameplay mechanics. AI still looks plenty bland.

On another note, I'm fairly certain JareBear has managed to become to graduate from Junior to Member only through "Destiny 2 is a DLC" posts. That might be something worth praising, honestly.

They added rain. I guess they have that going for it.

The weather effects actually look pretty great now that I'm going back and checking them. Wonder if we will see snow or other more unique weather and how Bungie's upgraded physics engine will react to that.

ZeoVGM

Banned

The strike looked very similar though it had an boost in particle effects and other minor details.

But the story mission was a very clear upgrade. Even my fiancee, who doesn't really play video games but watches me play Destiny all the time, said it as soon as it started on the live stream.

scoobs

The strike looked very similar though it had an boost in particle effects and other minor details.

But the story mission was a very clear upgrade. Even my fiancee, who doesn't really play video games but watches me play Destiny all the time, said it as soon as it started on the live stream.

Well I guess that settles it then.

So what I'm gathering is: nobody can actually say how it looks better, but that it just looks better. Will be interesting to see the full breakdowns of the engine improvements once the game has released. I'm sure DF will do a deep dive.

ZeoVGM

Banned

So what I'm gathering is: nobody can actually say how it looks better, but that it just looks better.

No one needs to write you an essay talking about how game development works. You don't need to understand what is happening from a technical perspective to use your damn eyes.

And yes, the opening mission is a clear upgrade over original Destiny. Here's my explanation as to it looking better: because I looked at it and it looks better than Destiny 1.

Sorry you disagree.

jmartoine

Watching the first mission it had better lighting and weather effects and I could see a clear upgrade.

The strike I struggled to see any improvements.

scoobs

No one needs to write you an essay talking about how game development works. You don't need to understand what is happening from a technical perspective to use your damn eyes.

And yes, the opening mission is a clear upgrade over original Destiny. Here's my explanation as to it looking better: because I looked at it and it looks better than Destiny 1.

Sorry you disagree.

Wow, ok then. I guess I should keep my mouth shut and just agree with you (and your fiance who doesn't play video games)

Is it not okay to actually ask questions and find out the facts, or do we all just have to accept your eye test as some kind of proof? All I wanted to know was if they've announced any new graphical features.. settle your damn horses man.

Endo Punk

Looks similar to Destiny 1 or not I didn't buy the first and only played the trial. Will be going into Destiny 2 with fresh eyes so looking forward to play it, I recall the gunplay was extremely satisfying in the trial version. And now with my concerns met regarding story and solo content I'll be able to enjoy my time without it feels repetitive anytime soon.

Putty

I was expecting more truth be told...3yrs later, current gen only...But anyway it is what it is...I'll still play and enjoy arguably what will be the best gun play mechanics out there...

Tomeru

Wow, ok then. I guess I should keep my mouth shut and just agree with you (and your fiance who doesn't play video games)

Is it not okay to actually ask questions and find out the facts, or do we all just have to accept your eye test as some kind of proof? All I wanted to know was if they've announced any new graphical features.. settle your damn horses man.

Funny that some here (including you) think that it's graphical improvements are open to interpretation. You can say that they could've done more, but it's factually looks better and different to Destiny 1. The fact that you actually recognize stuff from D1 means that it's a sequel, not that its the exact 100% same engine that they used in D1 without any improvements.

-hadouken

Why Not pd4 pro?
Assuming that meant PS4 Pro? Bungie pitch directly to their biggest market - the lowest common denominator. They don't give a shit about native refresh rates, dedicated servers or contemporary graphics tech - they're here to sell a loot game to the massive PS4/X1 install base. That's why they demonstrate the game on base hardware, and have conveniently delayed the PC port. Cynical, tho they're clearly making it work.

They haven't announced any but the DF video in the OP mentions a couple of things that are working better.

Off the top of my head they mention better particle physics and lighting, as well as better "physically based light rendering" which I think is all about modelling light bouncing off stuff and making surfaces seem more real.

They mention it in passing and don't go into the details, so it may not be a long technical list of graphics settings that you're looking for. As you say, I doubt that will come out until DF have a launch copy, if at all.

I would echo other sentiments though, non-technical people can see it looks "better" even if they have no idea why.

nOoblet16

So what I'm gathering is: nobody can actually say how it looks better, but that it just looks better. Will be interesting to see the full breakdowns of the engine improvements once the game has released. I'm sure DF will do a deep dive.
Except the DF video that this topic is about have said why exactly it looks better and posts made by myself and Dictator have even pointed out improvements that the DF video doesn't mention (volumetric light shafts, area lights). There are other people who have posted examples as well.

If you don't wanna read the thread and make broad and inaccurate comment like "nobody can actually say" then that's on you.

scoobs

Funny that some here (including you) think that it's graphical improvements are open to interpretation. You can say that they could've done more, but it's factually looks better and different to Destiny 1. The fact that you actually recognize stuff from D1 means that it's a sequel, not that its the exact 100% same engine that they used in D1 without any improvements.

1) Art direction is subjective, graphics are not. I do not think any games graphical improvements are open for interpretation. Its 1's and 0's, its either got more/better effects or it doesn't. The frame rate is either higher, the same, or worse.
2) But HOW is it factually better looking? This was my original question, that still has not been answered other than "I think it has more particle effects on screen" and "it just looks better when I use my eyeballs to look at it"

There are no facts being presented here. A fact would be "Bungie has implemented soft shadows and higher resolution textures." An opinion would be "it just looks better." I feel like I'm only reading opinions, just wondering if there are any facts on what they're doing to improve the engine.

They mention something about physical based rendering, but that was already in Destiny 1, and some refinements in lighting but not much in detail. Bokeh DOF is being used now, not sure if that was implemented in D1 or not.

I'm just hoping they will be using high res textures w/ the Pro, Scorpio, and PC versions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
1) Art direction is subjective, graphics are not. I do not think any games graphical improvements are open for interpretation. Its 1's and 0's, its either got more/better effects or it doesn't. The frame rate is either higher, the same, or worse.
2) But HOW is it factually better looking? This was my original question, that still has not been answered other than "I think it has more particle effects on screen" and "it just looks better when I use my eyeballs to look at it"

There are no facts being presented here. A fact would be "Bungie has implemented soft shadows and higher resolution textures." An opinion would be "it just looks better." I feel like I'm only reading opinions, just wondering if there are any facts on what they're doing to improve the engine.

The video that this OP is about literally mentions ways the game looks better. And people in the thread have mentioned them as well. Your question was answered. In the OP.

You are being dishonest at this point.

The video that this OP is about literally mentions ways the game looks better. And people in the thread have mentioned them as well. Your question was answered. In the OP.

You are being dishonest at this point.
The issue is that the things mentioned in the op are minimal when compared to other, similar cross gen transitions. WD1->WD2, BF4->BF1, etc. These all had much more than "refinements" which are mostly what DF is talking about in the OP.

All of these refinements plus much higher detail geometry would probably make this a reasonable leap, but as it is the "objective" improvements are pretty incremental and not what you would expect from a 30fps current gen exclusive in 2017.

Ataxia

Yep, I've said this before as well...that would've been fully possible considering Destiny is an always online game. But that'd require maintaining and paying for cloud servers. If they saw that to be financially feasible then we'd already be getting dedicated servers for the game.
Is there anything about Destiny that you don't try to spin?

The first game made millions. Wasn't it record breaking in terms of sales? If they wanted servers they could have. "Financially feasible" lmao. Plenty of options out there for them. Shouldn't be making excuses for an always online, AAA franchise in 2017 that is making stupid decisions.

jmartoine

I just hope they let us trade weapons. If they do that then who cares, it already looks great as is.

That will never happen. It would completely defeat the point in earning exotic weapons and armour if you could give them away.

Only way that could work would be if they allowed you to trade legendary items and below.

eFKac

Visually it's an upgrade for sure, but much less than I expected. Second gen game for Bungie, no last gen shackles. Seems like it's mostly effects and a bit of IQ, but assets were definitely shared.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Pretty much. Destiny 2 defenders need to take the L and just accept the game is not a massive jump visually.

When the footage in the video started, I was confused whether they were showing the original Destiny or the sequel. Even the animations are the same including the reload one.

But here's the thing: to me (and many others it seems in this touted D2 Defenders squad) the footage shown did look like a massive jump in visuals..... so it's not objective, it's clearly subjective in terms of what people are seeing in the D2 visuals.

When I watched 'Homecoming' in the live reveal, my mouth was wide open since I personally, thought "oh wow, they really have beefed up the graphics with all this stuff I'm seeing".

jmartoine

Kind of baffles me that some people are annoyed that they haven't redone all the animations from the first game such as reloading.

The gunplay felt fine in the first game so I don't care if the animations are the same. What I care about is the content we actually get to use it in. What would people prefer, lots of brand new content with the same animations, or brand new animations with reduced activities?

To me, it seems like a waste of time for Bungie to go back and redo things that were not broken in the first place.

geordiemp

So, improved DoF, improved materials (PBR?), improved particle effects. Anything else?

Destiny is about combat, and if you remember the mission we awoken the hive, how many shooters can have almost what seemed like 50 enemies pouring out towards you ?

Maybe it was 20 and they just kept spawning and had the feel of being overwhelmed. That only happened when entering a smaller space.

I would think that if Bungie have managed to eek out more enemies and larger areas, and maybe a way to add changes / updates faster in a revised engine, we are not going to see much looking at still shots but to players it would be an epic improvement..

We wont know until we get to play it.

Omni

I'm sure there are improvements that I'm not really noticing right now, but meh. Looks more or less the same as the first to me. Which isn't a bad thing per se, as Destiny 1 was a nice looking game. Bungie has always had a great artstyle

Kind of baffles me that some people are annoyed that they haven't redone all the animations from the first game such as reloading.

The gunplay felt fine in the first game so I don't care if the animations are the same. What I care about is the content we actually get to use it in. What would people prefer, lots of brand new content with the same animations, or brand new animations with reduced activities?

To me, it seems like a waste of time for Bungie to go back and redo things that were not broken in the first place.
Maybe for an expansion... but for a full priced sequel, I'd probably expect them to redo this stuff. That's just my opinion though. Visuals I can understand. Animations seem kinda lazy. A lot of it really does seem copy and pasted from the first game.

Tomeru

I'm sure there are improvements that I'm not really noticing right now, but meh. Looks more or less the same as the first to me. Which isn't a bad thing per se, as Destiny 1 was a nice looking game. Bungie has always had a great artstyle

Maybe for an expansion... but for a full priced sequel, I'd probably expect them to redo this stuff. That's just my opinion though. Visuals I can understand. Animations seem kinda lazy. A lot of it really does seem copy and pasted from the first game.

Whats wrong with the animations? They were superb before they are superb now. Or do you just want them to redo them for arguments' sake?

PnCIa

Destiny 1 still looks great, the amazing and very, very consistent art style plays a huge role in that (hello 343!).
Destiny 2 looks great, too. But it looks like the upgrade is mainly in the effects, essentially a new coat of paint for very, very similar assets. You can point out volumetric lighting and proper PBR all day but if you take a quick glance at them, they look very similar in a lot of situations, especially in the ordinary moment-to-moment gameplay scenes.

Top Bottom