• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: Destiny 2 PS4 First Look + Frame-Rate Test

Omni

Whats wrong with the animations? They were superb before they are superb now. Or do you just want them to redo them for arguments' sake?
I'm an animation whore. I like looking at new things!

Nothing wrong with the old animations... but we've been looking at them for years now. Would have been nice to add some flair to them even if it's not "needed"

Bungie have never been cutting edge visually. What was the last Bungie game that really tried to push visuals? Halo 2? Remember how Halo 3 looked compared to other 2007 titles... Decidedly behind the times. I think both Destiny games look fine by the way.

Omni

Bungie have never been cutting edge visually. What was the last Bungie game that really tried to push visuals? Halo 2? Remember how Halo 3 looked compared to other 2007 titles... Decidedly behind the times. I think both Destiny games look fine by the way.

Halo 3's water and HDR lighting blew most console games out of the water at the time. Arguably texture quality too

jmartoine

I would say Halo Reach really tried to push the visuals but before then Halo 3 and ODST were disappointing, especially the nightmarish faces from Halo 3.

In a moment of boredom I went back and looked at some reloading comparisons from the Halo games and was unsurprised to find that Bungie reused many animations there with minimal changes.

draliko

I was tempted to go the pc route, but being the majority of stuff on the client side I'm quite scared about cheating and i believe the community will be way bigger on console than pc, even tho I would really like to play destiny 2 maxed out at native 4k :) btw will the game have any kind of HDR support? Could be the time I'll bite on a HDR tv

XaosWolf

https://youtu.be/BaAgKqTOCY4

1) 4:10min mark, the shafts are visible with lightsource completely out of view and the shafts seem to have 3 dimensional volume.

2) 4:54 mark, when the player enters the neon lit area the green lighting is very "volume-y" typical of volumetric lighting.

Let me know if you think. Also I made this comment regarding a theory I have about the offloading AI and simulation bit last page.

Compared to the other gameplay videos I've seen, this actually IS a graphical jump from D1. The strike gameplay is just a lot more open and empty so I guess we're just waiting for an E3 blowout for a look at other areas.

I would say Halo Reach really tried to push the visuals but before then Halo 3 and ODST were disappointing, especially the nightmarish faces from Halo 3.

In a moment of boredom I went back and looked at some reloading comparisons from the Halo games and was unsurprised to find that Bungie reused many animations there with minimal changes.

Bungie have always been conservationists

nOoblet16

Is there anything about Destiny that you don't try to spin?

The first game made millions. Wasn't it record breaking in terms of sales? If they wanted servers they could have. "Financially feasible" lmao. Plenty of options out there for them. Shouldn't be making excuses for an always online, AAA franchise in 2017 that is making stupid decisions.
The only one "spinning" anything is yourself by making it seem like I am defending them when I am only repeating what they said word to word.

If you would actually read my posts (which you pretend to have, hence your claim that I try to spin everything) then you will notice that I specifically mentioned and agreed that the "financially feasible" means "we don't wanna spend our profits on it" rather than "we can't afford it".

Really..just go read man. Before you start pretending that you know all that I've posted. It's not even in a different thread.

jmartoine

Also seem to be a studio beset with development troubles which would necessitate cutting corners and reusing assets.

Seems like all the Halo games also had development issues with content heavily paired back.

nOoblet16

The issue is that the things mentioned in the op are minimal when compared to other, similar cross gen transitions. WD1->WD2, BF4->BF1, etc. These all had much more than "refinements" which are mostly what DF is talking about in the OP.

All of these refinements plus much higher detail geometry would probably make this a reasonable leap, but as it is the "objective" improvements are pretty incremental and not what you would expect from a 30fps current gen exclusive in 2017.
Here's something, BF4 - BF1 is NOT that big of a technical improvement. It looks way better but that's because it's using photogrammetry and PBR with a better art style to boot. But the technical additions to the renderer were as incremental as you see here. It's still using the same console.

Also before someone in this thread quotes me, calls me mad and shows me screenshots. READ that I am talking about technical additions i.e. things related to lighting, shadows, particles, etc etc...not how the game "looks" to your naked eye (which is irrelevant because the original point was about technical improvements due to it not being cross gen). I can very well see but there are differences here. Destiny however does not change its art style at all and sticks to it's consistency with the sequel and photogrammetry is not really possible with its almost cartoony art but when it comes to technical upgrades the refinements seen here are par for the course.

Ryuuga

Banned
I need to see more, but like the DF video I saw mostly refinements than any dramatic bump in visuals. People saw rain and sparkly things during the campaign mission and blew their load I suppose. It really boils down to either people being too hard to please or a liberal use of the term "massive" in the context of a jump in visual quality. Personally, I find Destiny visually mediocre as a cross generation game and now as a current generation game, but that art tho.

tuxfool

Banned
It makes sense to use either authoritative servers or an elected host to resolve consensus problems that reconcile mutiple players' views of the world. That usually involves some revisionist history because the game clock keeps ticking, so it's important to keep the number of things that are inconsistent from the player's point of view to an absolute minimum. Player collision with world geometry and other physics simukations triggered by player interaction like fine-grained destruction of environments pretty much have to be done locally to keep it feeling responsive.
Yes, but if a console is only acting as a client all it needs to worry about are the things in the same domain as the player character, not also doing the work for randoms on the other side of the map.

recursive

When you consider Destiny is as much an open-world game as it is an FPS, it begins to make sense. Most open world titles don't hit 60. Remasters of last-generation open world games don't even hit 60.

This is more similar to Borderlands than it is to Skyrim or other similar open world games. Little if any NPC simulations beyond enemies.

Halo 3's water and HDR lighting blew most console games out of the water at the time. Arguably texture quality too

It's true the game had impressive elements, but it was widely criticised at the time for its overall visual impression.

This is basically where I was going with this. Bungie have a history of being iterative with the tech used in their games. No need to throw out what already works... I think they got burnt pretty hard learning this lesson with Halo 2.

Then again, how many of thr current Bungie staff go back to that era?

Kssio_Aug

I think the game looks good artistically, very colorful. But watching this video in 1080p you can see this is not impressive really. I don't think it's a big jump from Destiny 1.

I don't know if the 30 fps is justifiable, but Digital Foundry backs them up:
https://youtu.be/Smn_ZUGK7ZQ?t=164

Even Pro/Scorpio may not be that much more capable than regular PS4/XB1 CPU wise according to them (31% boost) to justify double frame-rate. And there's of course the case of the advantage for Pro/Scorpio users, it wouldn't be fair to the regular users.

I'm fine with the graphics looking mostly the same if it means the engine can support more AI on screen, bigger geometry moving around, etc.

What would people prefer, lots of brand new content with the same animations, or brand new animations with reduced activities?

To me, it seems like a waste of time for Bungie to go back and redo things that were not broken in the first place.
Where's option 3, New content AND New animations (fluff)? Is that too much to ask for a Triple A game studio?
When you see a HUGE '2' on a screen you expect HUGE upgrades, not sidegrades or small graphical improvements. To many people, going by what they have shown (not promised, but shown) that's what this looks like. So far at least.

If you have to break down all of the changes and improvements they have made for other people that they cannot see for themselves, that means you've failed in presenting your game in some way.

When you consider Destiny is as much an open-world game as it is an FPS, it begins to make sense. Most open world titles don't hit 60. Remasters of last-generation open world games don't even hit 60.

Calling Destiny 1 "open world" is stretching it. Corridors and fields with 8ish players max in each "zone" compared to something like Zelda or GTA?

Of course we'll see how D2 handles this.

Whats wrong with the animations? They were superb before they are superb now. Or do you just want them to redo them for arguments' sake?
Lots of games do things that are great. Do I want to keep looking at the same things over and over? There's always room for improvement and evolution. How many hours have you put into Destiny? We've been killing these same enemies, running around samey environments for hundreds of hours. This is a sequel, let's evolve and make everything better.

There's a difference between people who create something and say "This is fine, let's stick with this" and the people who say "This is fine, now let's do better"

I've put hundreds of hours into Destiny, I'm excited for D2. But I cannot defend some of the decisions they are making so far. Of course we'll see what else they have up their sleeves, but so far I'm pretty disappointed by the reveal as well.

XaosWolf

Watched the full thing on lunchbreak. Looks fine and will pick it up for PC but there was one thing that was confusing and that was the mention of there being no recoil on the PC versions.

I'm gonna assume that's just because of the early showing because otherwise that'd make the gunplay kinda awful.

Watched the full thing on lunchbreak. Looks fine and will pick it up for PC but there was one thing that was confusing and that was the mention of there being no recoil on the PC versions.

I'm gonna assume that's just because of the early showing because otherwise that'd make the gunplay kinda awful.

I didn't understand what they meant by that either.

Also mentioned earlier in the thread but why did they say base PS4 when Bungie said all PS4 demos were running on Pro?

I'm an animation whore. I like looking at new things!

Nothing wrong with the old animations... but we've been looking at them for years now. Would have been nice to add some flair to them even if it's not "needed"

So much this. New, better and smoother animations are always better. Seeing the same old handgun reload animation during the Destiny 2 reveal disappointed me. One of my biggest problems with CS:GO is that the reload animations are WORSE than CS 1.6!

...I have a problem.

Alexious

It's interesting that GamesIndustry just published an interview with the CEO of Improbable and he said explicitly he'd love to see what Bungie could do with this technology in a future Destiny game.

"For a lot of larger, more established companies - several of which we are now engaging with - they take longer to evaluate and cycle through decisions like this. But absolutely, we want to be working with them. We don't think that anything we are doing is a replacement for the great tech teams that exist within these companies. But with us partnering with them, it will be possible to do even more. I am an amazing fan of Destiny, and I salivate at the prospect of what a studio like Bungie could do in partnership with us. That would be a holy union absolutely worth making happen someday."

Lady Gaia

Yes, but if a console is only acting as a client all it needs to worry about are the things in the same domain as the player character, not also doing the work for randoms on the other side of the map.

Where the two domains don't intersect there's no need for consensus. Each player has their own local computation to deal with what's happening around them, and in many cases it makes sense to perform redundant computations when you can guarantee the same outcome, or if the exact outcome doesn't need to be identical in all cases, as with purely cosmetic elements with no gameplay impact like particle systems.

jmartoine

Where's option 3, New content AND New animations (fluff)? Is that too much to ask for a Triple A game studio?
When you see a HUGE '2' on a screen you expect HUGE upgrades, not sidegrades or small graphical improvements. To many people, going by what they have shown (not promised, but shown) that's what this looks like. So far at least.

If you have to break down all of the changes and improvements they have made for other people that they cannot see for themselves, that means you've failed in presenting your game in some way.

I don't disagree. My main issue with the reveal is they haven't really shown anything new. But at the same time for them as developers it would be a waste of time to throw away perfectly good animations that don't need to be changed.

So far they have shown only one campaign mission, one strike and one PVP map and mode. They have promised new things in patrols, a bigger and better campaign but after the "Whole thing is playable space" from the D1 reveal I am skeptical until I see it.

In an ideal world we would get that third step, more content and better graphics and animations but from the troubled development of D1 and D2 getting delayed a year it is clear there were some major teething problems moving from D1 to D2.

Outside of post process effects the base assets totally seem like left over Destiny 1 bits and that was a bar set at 360 and PS3.

Yeah, it seems like most of the upgrades on the visuals come from engine improvements and not asset improvements. I think they were a little too tepid in pushing the boundary WRT the art. It feels much more like a facelift than a reboot. It's a pity because I would have liked to see them expand more on some of the unused art from their 2013 GDC talk: https://youtu.be/ZiDbv7nftM8

anothertech

That's an asinine comparison - Why not compare environmental shots of the old game against environmental shots of the new game, because there is a clear step up
Oh I admit completely there is a noticeable step up. But you do have to look pretty hard to see it unless you are very familiar with the game. It's easy to look at them and think they could be the same game ATM. And honestly, that just attests to the amazing job they did with the original.

I could see the differences from the first cut scenes. But it's not a night and day difference. Thus the arguments.

fearme

Neo Member
I think this video is relevant to this thread. It's just a quick comparison between Destiny 2 and Destiny 1. The two games are similar, but Destiny 2 has prettier graphics and effects. The gameplay looks exactly the same, with the exception of the new supers.

https://youtu.be/1U5g_OJsKcg

anothertech

I think this video is relevant to this thread. It's just a quick comparison between Destiny 2 and Destiny 1. The two games are similar, but Destiny 2 has prettier graphics and effects. The gameplay looks exactly the same, with the exception of the new supers.

This is a great comparison. You can see how similar, yet how different they look in gameplay.

Spoo

Wasn't there some confirmation that this first mission was actually demo'd on a PC? If so, this comparison wouldn't be a very fair one (the PC version of D2 is likely to be much prettier than the console versions across the board)

Top Bottom