• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency |OT| Saturdays on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Corpses—cops—trap—cult—assassins—Pararibulitis—vampires—lottery ticket—kitten—corgi—EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED! Welcome to the world of BBC America’s "Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency"; a trippy mystery that thrusts a reluctant sidekick into the bizarre world of an unconventional detective who believes in the interconnectedness of all things. When washed-up rocker Todd Brotzman stumbles upon the murder scene of a millionaire, all hell breaks loose. Eccentric detective, Dirk Gently, wholly believes they’re destined to untangle the peculiar events surrounding the mystery together, whether Todd likes it or not! A collection of wild and dangerous characters’ further infiltrate and complicate their world, each episode landing them a few random steps closer to uncovering the truth.

Penned by Max Landis (American Ultra, Chronicle), "Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency" is an adaptation of the wildly popular novels by Douglas Adams (A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), from the studio that produces The Walking Dead.

A co-production between BBC America and Netflix, the series will stream in all Netflix territories outside the U.S. starting in December.

Cast

• Samuel Barnett as Dirk Gently
  • Elijah Wood as Todd
  • Hannah Marks as Amanda
  • Jade Eshete as Farah Black
  • Fiona Dourif as Bart Curlish
  • Mpho Koaho as Ken
  • Aaron Douglas as Gordon Rimmer
  • Michael Eklund, Viv Leacock, Zak Santiago and Osric Chau as The Rowdy 3
  • Neil Brown Jr. and Richard Schiff as Estevez and Zimmerfield
  • Miguel Sandoval and Dustin Milligan as Colonel Scott Riggins and Sergeant Hugo Friedkin

Videos

Watch the season premiere - Free!

Trailer
Playlists: Music from the show
INSIDER: Creating Dirk Gently
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency Bloopers
Elijah Wood Becomes Harry Potter in the Creepiest Way Possible
Who's the Better Mystery Solver: The Doctor, Sherlock, or Dirk Gently? - SDCC Highlight

Ratings

Episode 1: 437K
Episode 2: 293K
Episode 3: 297K
Episode 4: 248K
Episode 5: 240K
Episode 6: 198K
Episode 7: 307K
Episode 8: 277K

7BMyXs3.jpg

ZiZ

A co-production between BBC America and Netflix, the series will stream in all Netflix territories outside the U.S. starting in December.
Any word on the US release?

JTripper

Max Landis script

eh

This is actually the only reason I'm interested in the show. He had a direct hand in the show's development and production, so I'm wondering how much control he had over his story in the final product. I'll check out the first few episodes.

Saw it last Saturday. Very hit or miss depending on the characters they're following. Reviewers had the first 3 episodes and it didn't sound like that changed much. Given that it's only an 8 episode season, I'll still stick around and see how it comes together.

Piichan

Banned
Loved the book (and whatever was released from "The Salmon of Doubt"). Will check it out when it hits Netflix.

Gonna give this a chance but I can't shake out badly this Dirk will compare to Stephen Mangan

He is, but mostly because of the writing like quirky for being quirky. The interesting thing is that so far, Landis "original" character's dialogue,
holistic assassin, is much closer in tone to Douglas's Dirk

Vlodril

The trailer looks horrible and doesn't even began to explain Dirk or his methods. And Stephan Mangan was sooooo good as Dirk

The last series was really good. was there an explanation why it didnt move forward and is now being remade?

Tregard

Soothsayer
The last series was really good. was there an explanation why it didnt move forward and is now being remade?

BBC Four spent all their money of importing dramas rather than making their own, so there was no home for Dirk anymore

Really sad, one of my favourite things that channel has ever done

I loved the original, even if it got cancelled after a few episodes. Shitted on boring Sherlock and made me want to read the books.

Boem

I loved the original, even if it got cancelled after a few episodes. Shitted on boring Sherlock and made me want to read the books.

Yeah Stephen Mangan, while not exactly the character I pictured when reading the books, made an excellent Dirk. I'm so sad it got cancelled, they were playing the long game by slowly building up the weirdness, and it got cancelled before it got to the really good stuff.

I'll catch this when it's on Netflix, but my hopes aren't too high. Translating Douglas Adams to the screen is super difficult (like with Terry Pratchett), and frankly I don't think Max Landis is the writer to make it work.

Mindlog

He is, but mostly because of the writing like quirky for being quirky. The interesting thing is that so far, Landis "original" character's dialogue,
holistic assassin, is much closer in tone to Douglas's Dirk
I'm not a stickler for transitions between media. Changes have to be made to make things work. However, it's interesting how much I agree with that spoiler. My imagined Dirk is also a lot closer to that character.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like this a lot. I never had a ton of affection for the original books (among Adams work I found them...fine) so I'm not too worried about "sticking to the source". First episode was entertaining

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
What

Adams is my favourite writer and Gently amongst my favourite books. As always I'm wary of adaptations but I'll try this when I get home.

Lijik

Posted this in the other thread but I enjoyed the first ep and my only problem was Dirk himself (he came off as a little too blandly quirky). I like everything else enough Im willing to see if that aspect will grow on me.

The Technomancer

I mean its definitely not the Dirk from the books, but I think I like the Dirk that it is? He seems fun as a response to Sherlock type characters; the same sort of out of control rudeness but cranked up to 11 to the point where its almost hateable

Lijik

Thats kind of exactly what I dont like about him. Based just on the first episode he has the same desperate attempt at quirkiness a modern Depp character or a watered down Sherlock fanfiction has. The scene where he fantasizes himself jamming out with Todd and Amanda is the only thing that made him feel like a character and not a manic pixie stock type that the rest of the action happens to interwine with.

edit- Just so I dont come off as overly harsh, I suspect that given how packed the first episode is over the course of the next seven episodes I'll find more to like about him

edit edit- apparently the new run of IDW comics is a crossover with the tv series, could be neat

The Technomancer

Thats kind of exactly what I dont like about him. Based just on the first episode he has the same desperate attempt at quirkiness a modern Depp character or a watered down Sherlock fanfiction has. The scene where he fantasizes himself jamming out with Todd and Amanda is the only thing that made him feel like a character and not a manic pixie stock type that the rest of the action happens to interwine with.

The difference, I think, is that I think this show is more aware of how genuinely insufferable he is than Depp ever is, or Sherlock or the 11th Doctor were. I think if the show goes down the route of "Elijah's character comes to appreciate him" it will be a boring arc, but if it goes for Dirk himself going through a transformation it might be something I really appreciate. And for whatever else you say about Max Landis, that's the sort of thing I could see him trying to do

eeeeh. it's very Max-y, which includes an over reliance on violence as replacement for interest. And his weird fascination with cops. Or making characters from their quirks rather than character simply having something that might be otherwise unrelated. Mental states are not descriptors of entire lives, and thereby the great pretender of one known as 'character'. ... well, whatever. It is faster and has at least something (color? Colour! ) to it, but I can't help but notice a recurring pattern there.
Oh right, and the 'need' to do exposition on something that could be obvious without it. And people talking to themselves. So much talking to themselves.

Though the alternative to that is Snyder-vision. *shudder* Landis it is then.

Triteon

Came into thread excited, looked at picture, became dubious, read impressions, got bummed out. All in the space of less than ten minutes.

Good job sirs.

Came into thread excited, looked at picture, became dubious, read impressions, got bummed out. All in the space of less than ten minutes.

Good job sirs.

Honestly I would suggest giving it a chance though. Landis-isms aside, it does work to keep your interest with its quirks, and its not devoid of fun (I enjoy Shiff's character). So I would given it the benefit of doubt on trying it out. Also a lot of action for a TV show, which is more than can be said of pretty much every other show from this fall.
And it has proper editing and music, which is really bugging me about US shows.

I don't think Landis will be able to pull off Douglas's insight, I mean we won't see something as ingenious as the Electric Monk, but he doesn't have to. He just need to put together a entertaining show using some elements of Douglas's work that are translatable, like putting forward a puzzle without a logical answer and not focusing on the focal character of the work, throw in some subtle references to the book and you get some fine fan-service.

Landis is definitely smart enough to do those things and he already did minus the subtle part. The problem I do have with Landis is that, in addition to being smart is also a smart-ass and he is going to try to put to much of himself into the work or pander to certain audiences in places it wouldn't make sense. I just hope it some kind of passion project for him and he is going to try and treat it with the respect it warrants, when ever I hear him speak he comes off as way too businessy for an artist and I hope this case is different.

so yeah, overall I enjoyed the first episode and have some hope for the series.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
this is fucking amazing

I don't know what else to say.

edit wait there was a previous series?

sarcastor

first episode was okay - lots of weird, unexplained things going on but I assume they will all come together at the end, like a Guy Richie movie.

Dirk is a bit annoying and Elijah Wood never fucking ages. How the hell is he 35?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"I'm sure the car will start back up when it's meant to. Cars are like that - always turning off and on again, breaking down and then fixing themselves."

"No they aren't"

Episode 2 was great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think I actually love this show. Reminds me a lot of Utopia with its surrealist humor.

I've been trying to think of which show this reminded me of and I actually think it was Utopia now that you mention it. The humor really is quite similar.

I ended up watching the free episode on US itunes last night and quite enjoyed it.

So first up, it's nothing like the way Dirk Gently is in the book (he's meant to be older, and less than attractive looking, and also more of a financial leach). He's not much like the radio version played by Harry Enfield, or Stephen Mangan on the UK series.

Secondly, it was quite good and I saw that a very Douglas Adams style of humour, though this was also a lot darker than I expected. random deaths aplenty (a bit like a coen bros film). Directed by the same guy who did Galaxy Quest, too.

So yeah, when the rest of the series hits Netflix in the UK, I will watch.

The music in this is fantastic, so I'm not surprised to hear that it's from the same dude who did the soundtrack for Utopia.

It does have that, yeah. Also, Dirk's vocabulary. :)
Though I'm fairly sure I just saw a professional actor play Mister Plinkett in a show. There is a meta-gag in there somewhere.

edit: this second episode also had the benefit of being less random due to getting that all out of the way in the first episode. For those on the fence: dip in.

Mindlog

Yeah I can't tell if the bridge scene was perfect or reminded me too much of Snatch/Lock Stock and the like.

Right now siding with, 'very entertaining.'

Aiii

So not worth it
This show needs more love, really like it. The bridge scene had me in tears, Elijah Wood is knocking it out the park, but I pretty much like all the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom