• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Landis will write and direct a remake of a John Landis film

Why do you irrationally hate Max Landis?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Really?

How is this not RIPD - a supernatural buddy cop comedy movie or Men In Black?

Well.

Both Landis script and the David Ayer rewrite are really good. It's more serious then MIB (haven't seen RIPD) and is more about racism then anything else. David Ayer is a really good director. I love the casting of Will Smith Joel Edgerton and Noomi Rapace and Netflix doesn't interfere with the stuff they make.

groansey

Sure, but what does that have to do with the accident which is completely unrelated to Max or anything he has ever done? I mean, I don't particularly care for the guy one way or the other, but every damn time he's mentioned this gets brought up.

Nothing directly. But the reason we're aware of Max Landis is his dad's money and connections. Money and connections his dad used to pay families to circumvent child labour laws, and money he used again to pay top lawyers to defend himself over the deaths of those children. He didn't even get done for the child labour stuff. It's inconceivable as the director, who was heard on set to have instructed the helicopter to fly lower, that he wasn't in some way responsible, regardless of the outcome of legal proceedings. That's just my opinion.

I liked Chronicle but sick of hearing about Max Landis wants to direct Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Transformers, An American Werewolf in London... he's an entitled asshole.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Well.

Both Landis script and the David Ayer rewrite are really good. It's more serious then MIB (haven't seen RIPD) and is more about racism then anything else. David Ayer is a really good director. I love the casting of Will Smith Joel Edgerton and Noomi Rapace and Netflix doesn't interfere with the stuff they make.

You know what Ayer and Landis have in common?

They both wrote one good movie.

The best movie Ayer ever directed was Fury, and that was meh.

Please, elaborate as to why you are so excited over this movie?

Nothing directly. But the reason we're aware of Max Landis is his dad's money and connections. Money and connections his dad used to pay families to circumvent child labour laws, and money he used again to pay top lawyers to defend himself over the deaths of those children. He didn't even get done for the child labour stuff. It's inconceivable as the director, who was heard on set to have instructed the helicopter to fly lower, that he wasn't in some way responsible, regardless of the outcome of legal proceedings. That's just my opinion.

I liked Chronicle but sick of hearing about Max Landis wants to direct Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Transformers, An American Werewolf in London... he's an entitled asshole.

siren.gif

ESTABLISHED HOLLYWOOD WRITER AND DIRECTOR WOULD LIKE TO WRITE AND DIRECT MAINSTREAM FILMS

First the diabolical genius used his shady connections to claw his way into the unimpeachable An American Werewolf franchise, and nobody even tried to stop him.

Now he wants to sully the great name of the storied Transformers franchise, which has thus far been one masterpiece after another.

WHEN WILL HE BE STOPPED? NEXT HE COULD COME FOR INSPECTOR GADGET, CLARISSA EXPLAINS IT ALL..... MOONLIGHTING!?!?

Well.

David Ayer is a... really...good...director?

Sephzilla

Meh, whatever. Dude's alright. Not great, but he doesn't warrant the hate he gets.

The Man of Steel sequel he proposed on Screen Junkies sounded way cooler than BvS too.

Your beef seems to be with John Landis and/or the legal system, so I'm still not sure why you're bringing it up here? Yes, Max is undoubtedly famous because of the opportunities afforded him by having a successful father and of course you're entitled to dislike the guy for things he's done, but I don't see how it's relevant to keep mentioning something which happened before he was born and he (obviously) had no involvement in.

Strax

You know what Ayer and Landis have in common?

They both wrote one good movie.

The best movie Ayer ever directed was Fury, and that was meh.

Please, elaborate as to why you are so excited over this movie?

Well.

End of Watch is a really good movie and so is Fury.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But he's using his dad's position to get work in the movie business and still spends all his time complaining about it.

If he wasn't John Landis' son he'd just be some loudmouth spouting fan-fiction on a messageboard.
If he wasn't John Landis' son he'd probably be another middling tier screenwriter doing projects barely anyone cares about. Oh wait, that's exactly what he is.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that his father's name has brought him "success" unless you count success as "continues working". Like, a resume that includes Chronicle, Victor Frankenstein, American Ultra, that's what we're upset about? If not for Landis' force of personality he could just as easily be the guy who writes The Accountant, or Earth to Echo, or any of the other dozens of mediocre movies that Hollywood puts out every year

I just can't get upset about Landis. He's a loud guy on the internet in an era where everyone is loud on the internet. He's a working screenwriter who continues to get work, but there are a lot of those. His dad's connections helped him, but its not like they helped him work on the next Spielberg or Nolan movie or anything. He's fine. He's a guy

Whatever

Strax

If he wasn't John Landis' son he'd probably be another middling tier screenwriter doing projects barely anyone cares about. Oh wait, that's exactly what he is.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that his father's name has brought him "success" unless you count success as "continues working". Like, a resume that includes Chronicle, Victor Frankenstein, American Ultra, that's what we're upset about? If not for Landis' force of personality he could just as easily be the guy who writes The Accountant, or Earth to Echo, or any of the other dozens of mediocre movies that Hollywood puts out every year

I just can't get upset about Landis. He's a loud guy on the internet in an era where everyone is loud on the internet. He's a working screenwriter who continues to get work, but there are a lot of those. His dad's connections helped him, but its not like they helped him work on the next Spielberg or Nolan movie or anything

Being one of the highest paid screenwriter of all time (for a single script) is pretty successful I'd say.

Max Landis is a talent with regards to writing but as far as his directing is concerned, I haven't seen anything aside from those YouTube shorts, but I'm sure however good or bad the film may end up, it'll at least be interesting.

surprised he is actually remaking this rather than writing a bullshit fanfic screenplay for "insert your nostalgic nerd hipster kitsch here".

Strax

Max Landis is a talent with regards to writing but as far as his directing is concerned, I haven't seen anything aside from those YouTube shorts, but I'm sure however good or bad the film may end up, it'll at least be interesting.

Agreed, he's still finding himself as a director but everything he's done is very low budget so this might be really interesting.

Wow only TWO certified fresh stints the director's chair? Yeah I guess you're right he sucks. On the other hand that's twice as many as Charles Laughton. I don't know what to believe!

Also I assume this is how most Max Landis haters imagine the meetings over his scripts go:

Film Executive #1: Wow, that Max Landis script was awful. I have no interest in buying this script and I don't think our company should make this movie. It would be a complete and total waste of time and money.

Film Executive #2: You do realize that is father directed Animal House right?

Film Executive #1: I just bought the script and the film is in development.

Was not particularly for or against the fellow as I'm not really bothered by nepotism. It's perfectly normal for people to follow their parents. If they suck at the job, they'll eventually fade away. Anyway, Landis and I have a mutual friend who posted about the really awful trailer for the Ghostbusters remake. He asked what that line "The devil is a liar" meant. I said that the devil probably told them that the remake was a good idea. Landis liked the comment, so now I am obligated to like the guy.

That said, this is a very dangerous idea. I hope he's got some surprises for us. I also hope he doesn't omit the hot shower sex.

Max Landis and the usual reaction at his mention make me see him as a Kevin Smith figure. His precessional work is substandard but he's a fun storyteller in person.

Of course and I'm familiar with the foolishness of using RT as a crutch for arguments.

Fury is a terrible war movie. There is basically no market for proper war movie nowadays and Ayer fucked up the only chance any director get in years.

Strax

Fury is a terrible war movie. There is basically no market for proper war movie nowadays and Ayer fucked up the only chance any director get in years.

There are over 10 war films that have come out or will come out in 2016 and one of them will most likely get at least 3-4 Oscar noms if you listen to bookers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh so THATS why this Max Landis guy is famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom