• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Landis Writing ‘Pepe Le Pew’ Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
This guy will just write ALL kinds of garbage, won't he.

And just what the fuck is going on at WB.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Why are there always threads about this guy on gaf out of all the writers out there? He's gotta be a secret gaffer

Fat4all

Banned
Jesus, I'm so sorry.

max.gif

cr0w

Old Member
Wish he'd write a movie about his dad killing three people, including two vietnamese children that were working illegally.

A sexual predator who doesn't wait for consent...

I don't see this concept going over well in today's climate.

It's Pepe Le Pew for christs sake. His entire schtick is being a foul smelling sleezeball. If people want to cry about it, let them. I for one am Pro-Pew, and would love a actual animated movie starring him.

Fat4all

Banned
Wish he'd write a movie about his dad killing three people, including two vietnamese children that were working illegally.

You must be on of those fine folks still sending John Landis death threats over a set accident.

Aren't you lovely.

entremet

His father stopped being relevant in Hollywood waaaay before Max started writing movies.

Also, of the 5 movies he's written that have come out so far, I've liked or loved the writing of 4 of them, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯
lol you don't think his father provided valuable connections and opened doors?

I'm not hating. Nepotism is awesome if you can benefit from it.

Fat4all

Banned

I'm sure his name got him into a few meetings, but after the late 90's his dad was struggling to get any movies green lit.

It was all downhill after The Stupids and Blues Brothers 2000.

cr0w

Old Member
You must be on of those fine folks still sending John Landis death threats over a set accident.

Aren't you lovely.

Yeah, I'm a peach.

Not much will change my opinion that he and his father are pieces of shit, but at leastMax hasn't killed anyone yet, and neither have I, so I got one up on one of them.

I see a lot of people shit talking Landis and making fun of this concept but realistically, since they are actually making this movie and it's a real thing that's happening, how... how the fuck do you do a Pepe Le Pew movie in this day and age?

I mean, I'm not usually any kind of PC Police but I honestly don't see how they can make any kind of enjoyable movie about Pepe in today's cultural climate. Will Pepe be the bad guy? Will they erase his lustful nature and have him just smell bad? Will he be a pervert that, by the end of the movie, realizes that the way he molests women is wrong? Are other characters throughout the movie going to be calling him out and chastising him for the way he pursues women? Will they throw all of that to the wind and just make the movie as if it was a different time and have him just be a player? Will it just be Pepe or will there be other Loony Tunes characters?

Will it be 2D, 3D, 2D/live action hybrid, 3D/live action hybrid?

Of all the Loony Tunes characters to give a movie to I think the only one I'd expect less is Speedy Gonzales.

With Landis' need to make things dark and edgy and dramatic I wonder if he was given the option to do a movie with a Loony Tunes character and he picked Pepe on purpose. Watch him lust after women because he had a broken relationship with his mother and what he really wants is just someone to love and care for him but he's a skunk so nobody wants to be around him.

I see a lot of people shit talking Landis and making fun of this concept but realistically, since they are actually making this movie and it's a real thing that's happening, how... how the fuck do you do a Pepe Le Pew movie in this day and age?

I mean, I'm not usually any kind of PC Police but I honestly don't see how they can make any kind of enjoyable movie about Pepe in today's cultural climate. Will Pepe be the bad guy? Will they erase his lustful nature and have him just smell bad? Will he be a pervert that, by the end of the movie, realizes that the way he molests women is wrong? Are other characters throughout the movie going to be calling him out and chastising him for the way he pursues women? Will they throw all of that to the wind and just make the movie as if it was a different time and have him just be a player? Will it just be Pepe or will there be other Loony Tunes characters?

Will it be 2D, 3D, 2D/live action hybrid, 3D/live action hybrid?

Of all the Loony Tunes characters to give a movie to I think the only one I'd expect less is Speedy Gonzales.

With Landis' need to make things dark and edgy and dramatic I wonder if he was given the option to do a movie with a Loony Tunes character and he picked Pepe on purpose. Watch him lust after women because he had a broken relationship with his mother and what he really wants is just someone to love and care for him but he's a skunk so nobody wants to be around him.

He’s gonna have to reinvent everything.

Animated characters like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny were designed for <5 min shorts; they don&#8217;t scale well to 30+ minute long films, as 5 minutes of slapstick is great, but a whole movie of slapstick, devoid of a character arc, is a chore. Disney tried to solve this issue by not making Mickey Mouse movies but rather by making movies with Mickey Mouse, an actor, playing roles (ex. The Three Musketeers, The Prince and the Pauper, etc.). Warner Bros tried to bring in a live actor as the protagonist, the dramatic anchor, and just had the Looney Tunes characters act as comic relief, (ex. Space Jam, Looney Tunes Back in Action). The latter strategy hasn't really worked well for Warner Bros. I&#8217;m betting they&#8217;re going to stick with all 3D animation.

Instead of Pepe Le Pew being a sexual harasser, Landis will probably make him a starry-eyed romantic, looking for that special someone, but his biggest obstacle is himself (ex. the skunk smell, maybe they modernize him with a fedora or two). He&#8217;ll end up partnering with another character (the cat?) who helps him, giving him advice, stuff will go wrong (ex. Pepe develops feelings for the cat) and in the end, Pepe will learn some sort of lesson about love.

Or maybe all of the characters will just dance onscreen for an hour and a half to some sort of hit pop song that&#8217;s five years too late to be relevant and inappropriate for their target audience.

Fat4all

Banned
Not much will change my opinion that he and his father are pieces of shit, but at leastMax hasn't killed anyone yet, and neither have I, so I got one up on one of them.

Well, maybe one day you'll let go of whatever anger drives that fevered soul of yours and you'll come to accept that terrible mistake can and will happen.

Loxley

I can't wait for this movie to get shelved, then someone else comes along and makes a very cartoonish and shallow movie about Pepe Le Pew. Then Landis will take to twitter to vent his frustration that while he thought the movie was okay, his version was "very different". He'll then go on to describe how his take was a contemporary, existential exploration of how men pursue women in modern society and also acted as a deconstruction of the prototypical "ladies man" archetype often depicted in 20th century fiction. It also would have been "a lot of fun".

There, I just saved us three years of garbage.

I can't wait for this movie to get shelved, then someone else comes along and makes a very cartoonish and shallow movie about Pepe Le Pew. Then Landis will take to twitter to vent his frustration that while he thought the movie was okay, his version was "very different". He'll then go on to describe how his take was a contemporary, existential exploration of how men pursue women in modern society and also acted as a deconstruction of the prototypical "ladies man" archetype often depicted in 20th century fiction. It also would have been "a lot of fun".

There, I just saved us three years of garbage.
A good effort, but one in vain, as you see, gaf loves that which it claims to hate, thus why we see regular updates on Taylor Swift & reality tv star social media battles, pop stars that create garbage pandering music, andme so on.

Fat4all

Banned
A good effort, but one in vain, as you see, gaf loves that which it claims to hate, thus why we see regular updates on Taylor Swift & reality tv star social media battles, pop stars that create garbage pandering music, andme so on.

for some reason every time I see your name I think it's nudefreemasons

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah, wasn't there talks of a Marvin the Martian film a few years back? I think there was even test footage, right?

Foggy

Well, maybe one day you'll let go of whatever anger drives that fevered soul of yours and you'll come to accept that terrible mistake can and will happen.

Knowing all the fucked up and maniacal shit that directors got up to throughout the 70's, it's surreal that Landis was the one that finally got burned by the recklessness. It's a miracle William Friedkin got to this point without having this kind of stain on his career, Exorcist curse not withstanding.

On a side note, no idea why people keep harping on nepotism. Of all the industries out there, nepotism and "who you know" is woven into its very existence since the beginning. Dude talks a mean game and I have no doubt that it dazzles the shit out of execs, for better or worse.

Seriously. Don't get me wrong - Max Landis works his fucking ass off. I may think most of his films outside of Chronicle/Akira-lite may be shit, but the dude writes a ton and pitches a ton. Regardless of how I feel about his personality or talent, he's obviously someone that puts a lot of time into his craft.

That being said, there's no way that having John Landis as a father didn't at least get him the opportunity to pitch some of his stories. And when it comes to film, even having the opportunity to show off your talent is a rarity.

C4Lukins

Landis has done some interesting stuff. Particularly that music video he did for Ariana Grande. But this is a bad idea. Turning a rapist skunk into a film is not super cool. It is fun in Looney Tunes 5 minute shorts, but there is not much to explore beyond that.

I have no idea how you could turn that into a bigger idea. And I doubt Warner Brothers wants to explore that topic.

Gr8one

I misread the article quote and thought Landis was adapting Douglas Adams' Pepe Le Pew novel that was adapted to a BBC series in the 80s and I was thinking da fuq how did I miss this?!

Time for bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom