• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Landis will write and direct a remake of a John Landis film

Why do you irrationally hate Max Landis?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

american-werewolf-london.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: An American Werewolf in London is officially getting a remake with The Walking Dead‘s David Albert and Robert Kirkman producing through their Skybound Entertainment for Universal Pictures. Filmmaker John Landis’ classic 1981 comedic horror film will be written by his son Max Landis, who also is attached to direct. The news comes after the elder Landis and filmmaker Anthony Waller (An American Werewolf in Paris) sealed a deal with the studio on the rights. The younger Landis’ deal is being negotiated. Skybound has a first-look production deal with Universal.

lso producing will be Todd Garner and Matt Smith, and John Landis will executive produce.

The original film, which came from the mind of writer-director John Landis, starred David Naughton — popular at the time for his Dr. Pepper commercials — Jenny Agutter and Griffin Dunne and followed two kids on a hiking vacation in England who are attacked by a werewolf. Dunne’s character is killed off early on, and Naughton’s character starts to transform into a werewolf. The film’s makeup artist Rick Baker won his first Oscar on it.

News of the remake should send fans over the full moon. Although it initially opened to mixed reviews, the film soon became a cult classic. Landis did not use Warren Zevon’s 1978 song “Werewolves of London” although the song is often associated with the film. Instead, Landis used Creedence Clearwater’s Revival’s “Bad Moon Rising” which played as Naughton’s character neared his first transformation into a werewolf. This year marks the 35th anniversary of the original’s release.

This time around, let’s hope they use Zevon’s song which was composed by him, LeRoy Marinell and Waddy Wachtel. The great Jackson Browne produced the 1978 song for Zevon who passed away in 2003.

Max Landis, who is the writer/producer on Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency on BBC America and is non-writing exec producer on Channel Zero on the Syfy Channel, is repped by CAA and by Writ Large. His screenplay for Bright is currently being filmed by David Ayer.

LINK

8664052_orig.jpg

Edit:

ZpSi9AE.png

Rockk

Sort of ironic considering he vented alongside the RLM crew about no more original ideas in Hollywood.

That's awesome. He'll at least have respect for the original, which is more than I can say about most remakes coughghostbusterscough

Ridley327

For his sake, I hope this isn't like the original at all. He already has an unenviable task ahead of him, and the last thing he needs is to remind people of how much better his dad was.

Sanjuro

You know, John doesn't seem to give a shit about how embarrassing max comes off in that picture, Max obviously don't give a fuck, i envy both of their ability to not give a fuck.

How many fucks do you think John Landis should be giving?

Some guy who posts here told me Mr. Right is a good movie. I need to verify he's wrong before I can officially shit on this project.

Want a different and interesting take on it. Make the main character Black and have him transform into the John Landis's MJ Thriller's incarnation of a werewolf.

thriller_wolf1.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If this guy weren't c-list Hollywood royalty or a white male, the trio of bombs he wrote last year would've thrown him in jail for several years.

How is he going to blame the filmmakers for ruining his script this time?
He'll blame the studio.

entremet

I find Max Landis threads very entertaining. Don't care about his work at all, but he seems to bring a lot of haters, which I find hilarious.

a916

He's a good writer... no clue what kind of a director he is though. At least he'll see his script through and through here.

Anung

Un Rama
Don't care about nepotism or that crap but this is one of my favourite movies and it absolutely does not need a remake. At all.

I liked Chronicle and his superman videos but his other stuff has been pretty shitty.

Ain't no actress in Hollywood who could replace Jenny Agutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom