• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency |OT| Saturdays on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarRock

Amazing ending, both in wrapping up the plot and in setting up the characters. Some happy stuff, some not so happy stuff, everything felt pretty organic.

"So many files, the expect me to read all of them?"

Really enjoyed this show. Had no idea it was going to come back so I did not see... well... a good chunk of the ending coming tbh. Really excited it isn't over though!

Really enjoyed this show. Had no idea it was going to come back so I did not see... well... a good chunk of the ending coming tbh. Really excited it isn't over though!
They did that ending before they knew they were coming back. And they didn't have an alternate ending.

They did that ending before they knew they were coming back. And they didn't have an alternate ending.

Makes sense. It was darker than I expected but would have been much worse if they weren't coming back.

Really enjoyed the season. I particularly liked Estevez's arc, too, although it's been too long to remember if he had an equivalent in the boaks.

Makes sense. It was darker than I expected but would have been much worse if they weren't coming back.

Really enjoyed the season. I particularly liked Estevez's arc, too, although it's been too long to remember if he had an equivalent in the boaks.

I'd be so pissed off at that ending if the show wasn't returning!

It's been so long since I read the books (20ish years almost?) that I couldn't tell you if anything from the show is also in the books. I think he had some line about Thor in like the first episode that I vaguely think I remember one of the books was about the Thor case (?), but just found them at my parents' house and I'm excited to dive in again.

deleted

Just binged through this on Netflix.

Just to get this out first: The first Dirk Gently is my favorite book of all time. And this show feels nothing like it.
But it still manages to be awesome!

This might be the best thing, Landis is involved in yet. He missed most of what makes the book a standout and yet he captures something that makes this show very enjoyable.
It's like he lends some character names and buzzwords from Adams and combines them with the characters, feeling and atmosphere of a David Wong novel but subtracts most the horror and adds his visuals - plus a little dose of Doctor Who and melodrama that both feel out of place.

It's a very specific mixture and I can see how it might be for very specific tastes only. I'm therefore delighted that it gets a second season. There are ideas and concepts in here that are very out there but at the same time very enjoyable - I just love the idea
of a holistic killer as Dirks dark counterpart

Sometimes is feels like the episodes could be a little shorter, sometimes there is just too. much. melodrama, but overall the moving pieces all come together and are providing some excellent comedic moments and a very nicely done (somewhat of a spoiler for those who didn't figure it out in episode one)
time travel
plot. Those are very hard to get right and I feel like they didn't over-explain how things work too much. It also has some absurdly endearing ideas.

Despite its shortcomings, I loved it! Hopefully we get a few seasons on this level out of it. A season a case would be nice too!

P.S. I developed a huge crush on Jade Eshete while watching this :p

LordRaptor

Yeah, I just binged this on Netflix too - not intentionally, it was just enjoyable enough that I didn't stop watching.

As others have said, its not really the Dirk Gently I know from the books - who was much more of an actual con man who lucked into getting things right, than is presented here where "holistic" is more "karmic", but I quite like this take on him being a pawn of the universe, and there's plenty of new stuff that also gels nicely -
Holistic Assassins, Weaponised Souls

Plus quite a number of genuinely funny bits; (paraphrased)
"What if they have guns?"
"(Holds up pocket knife)I have this"
"What's that supposed to do?"
"Well you know what they say about bringing a knife to a gunfight"
"That its a bad thing"
"Is that what that means? Oh bloody hell"

I really enjoyed the partnership between the Missing Persons detectives. They had great chemistry and their interchanges when they were questioning people and kind of exasperated always amused me.

I just finished watching it all.

At first I wasn't too big on the idea of other Holistic people but they served the story well and by the end I thought they fitted in nicely.

I felt this incarnation of Dirk was a bit scatter brained for my liking but by the end, as most things in the show, he grew on me.

I love the ending when
they have swapped Lydia back into her body and the two bad guys come in for the broken machine. Then from Todd's perspective, a random person comes in and kills the bad guys, the other person fixes the machine, and they both leave. The little shrug at the end just encapsulated all of it!

So at the beginning I was dubious but it quickly grew on me. Interested to see where the second season takes us.

I binge watched the whole thing today.

I didn't know anything going in, except that Elijah Wood was in it. I loved it, cant wait for the next season.

jett

D-Member
This show was super entertaining. Well done, Mr. Max Landis.

I sure am glad I caught it on Netflix and didn't have to wait every week for an episode. This kind of mystery show definitely works fuckloads better this way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just finished it on netflix, absolutely adored it, I live for this type of shit.

If you told me this was a anime or a comic I would believe you. If I described to you a show about
unstoppable psycho assassins, shark kitties, steampunk gunslinger knight, time travel, psychic vampire punk gang that rolls around in a van wrecking shit
, you would ask me "what anime is that?" admit it :p

Also Im shocked at how well it wrapped up considering its a
time travel
story, kudos on that. The ending was quite dark, but I loved the visual of
Bart surrounded by a million troops and a freaking tank...and she grabs a rock
:3

I guess season 2 will focus on
the CIA creating / finding the "freaks" which kinda bums me out because I was hoping for the gang to be together all official like in season 2

Still cant wait tho, so happy its renewed. And more weirdness in january with Unfortunate Events... bless you netflix.

Aegus

If you told me this was a anime or a comic I would believe you. If I described to you a show about
unstoppable psycho assassins, shark kitties, steampunk gunslinger knight, time travel, psychic vampire punk gang that rolls around in a van wrecking shit
, you would ask me "what anime is that?" admit it :p

I would say Gantz!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loved this. No big surprise there, as The Guide book series is one of my favorite things in the universe, but for some reason I've never given Dirk Gently a chance. But yeah, this was great! Barnett and Wood are an awesome detective couple, and I love the "holistic" premise, where nothing is really investigated but shit just happens the way it's supposed to. And
time travel shenanigans
is always fun.

The books are quite different plot-wise, yes? Think I'm gonna give them a go.

squidyj

Loved this. No big surprise there, as The Guide book series is one of my favorite things in the universe, but for some reason I've never given Dirk Gently a chance. But yeah, this was great! Love the "holistic detective" premise, where nothing is really investigated but shit just happens the way it's supposed to. And
time travel shenanigans
is always fun. Barnett and Wood are an awesome detective couple.

The books are quite different plot-wise, yes? Think I'm gonna give them a go.

If I remember correctly he referenced the plots of the books in passing in the first or second episode?

deleted

If I remember correctly he referenced the plots of the books in passing in the first or second episode?

He talked a bit about Thor, which was the second book (never read it), but no direct plot references whatsoever.

It's been awhile since I read it, but from what I remember, it could have been a different series altogether. Dirk in the first book is way different to the Dirk in the show. Maybe I read him 'wrong', but I never got the Doctor Who esque mannerisms from him in the book.

The thing that stays is the beautiful nonsensical way, certain things are envisioned. The electric monk is still one of the best stuff ever written by Douglas Adams.

N° 2048

Wowowowow I never binge four episodes in a row if something isn't good to me.

This show is absolutely amazing, going to watch episode 5 and beyond tonight. It's a complete mind fuck right now, I love it.

He talked a bit about Thor, which was the second book (never read it), but no direct plot references whatsoever.

It's been awhile since I read it, but from what I remember, it could have been a different series altogether. Dirk in the first book is way different to the Dirk in the show. Maybe I read him 'wrong', but I never got the Doctor Who esque mannerisms from him in the book.

The thing that stays is the beautiful nonsensical way, certain things are envisioned. The electric monk is still one of the best stuff ever written by Douglas Adams.
Weren't the Dirk Gently books basically Dr Who fanfiction?

VAD

So, please explain this to me:
Is Dirk really special or he just knew what he had to know because of the time travel?
edit: Thanks, SalvaPot!

SalvaPot

So, please explain this to me:
Is Dirk really special or he just knew what he had to know because of the time travel?

Mostly:
He kinds of just stumbles into the solution and has the ability to deduce stuff by its own faulty logic that somehow makes sense.

The Time travel thing just gave him a head-start of where to look.

Oppo

I watched 2 of these and it's tonally fucked. It vacillates wildly between trying to be very serious and being really goofy. It doesn't feel like the books at all, other than in the broadest strokes. Not sure what to make of it but it's pretty uneven to say the least.

I may give it one more shot but I really wasn't impressed with the beginning. Someone tell me it gets better. Sometimes shows need to find their feet.

SalvaPot

I watched 2 of these and it's tonally fucked. It vacillates wildly between trying to be very serious and being really goofy. It doesn't feel like the books at all, other than in the broadest strokes. Not sure what to make of it but it's pretty uneven to say the least.

I may give it one more shot but I really wasn't impressed with the beginning. Someone tell me it gets better. Sometimes shows need to find their feet.

Haven't read the books (I read all the Hitchhikers Guide books, but haven´t read the Dirk Gently's ones). It does get better. I am on my second rewatch and its even more fun once you know where it tries to go.

I found out about this show this weekend and just finished the fifth episode. IT IS AMAZING! Why is this thread so small?

It is very well-crafted, story is solid, acting is solid, photography is solid, music is solid and fits the show perfectly...and I love just about every character in it. It's giving me similar vibes as Eureka, but executed infinitely better, and with some Doctor Who thrown in there. I have limited time to watch but really want finish it this week.

SalvaPot

I found out about this show this weekend and just finished the fifth episode. IT IS AMAZING! Why is this thread so small?

It is very well-crafted, story is solid, acting is solid, photography is solid, music is solid and fits the show perfectly...and I love just about every character in it. It's giving me similar vibes as Eureka, but executed infinitely better, and with some Doctor Who thrown in there. I have limited time to watch but really want finish it this week.

Its going to be one of those series who is going to get bigger and bigger the most people randomly pick it up on Netflix.

I predict that by the 2nd season it will have a following and by the 3rd it will get big.

Joeku

I just finished the season and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure if I don't understand or just missed why Chris Metzen and The Horde are what they are.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
What app or streaming service can I use to watch this show in the US on my TV?

Shit is confusing. I thought it was on PBS but couldn't find it there.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I wanted to like it more than I did, but it kind of fell apart for me towards the end.

I stumbled across this show on Netflix last weekend, having never heard of it or reading the books. Figured I'd check out an episode and ended up bingeing the whole thing. Thought it was fantastic and can't wait for season 2.

ohNOitsRO

Just got into this show and I haven't read this thread to avoid spoilers, but this show is really entertaining. Really loving it so far.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Finished this on Netflix last night and I'm still not sure what to make of it. I did like it, a lot, especially the absurdist details, and they actually managed to make sense of time travel. Kind of disappointed the ending was such a clear setup for season 2, though.

Jisgsaw

Well, I stumbled upon it per accident on Netflix and just bingewatched it, and asking myself the same question.
I haven't read the books, so I can't compare, but this adaptation was right up my alley, can't wait for S2 (this year, right?).

Sane_Man

The show reminds me so much of Utopia. I'm sure it was inspired by it, and I just read in this thread that it has the same person who did the music for Utopia. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom