• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency |OT| Saturdays on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Been binge watching the show the last few days what a weird..interesting show I like keeping a eye out for whatever Elijah wood does these days love the small stuff he gets involved in, Over The Garden Wall is a great animated show lends his voice for the main character. Looking forward to Season 2.

jiiikoo

Banned
Been binge watching the show the last few days what a weird..interesting show I like keeping a eye out for whatever Elijah wood does these days love the small stuff he gets involved in, Over The Garden Wall is a great animated show lends his voice for the main character. Looking forward to Season 2.

Same here. I binged the series over the christmas and can't wait for the second season to start. Loved how quirky and strange the series was.

Since the thread has been bumped, quick update. They've started casting for Season 2, and Vogel, the Rowdy 3 member that was with Amanda at the end of the season was bumped up to regular.

Oof, this confession scene in Episode 6 is brutal.

Edit: I liked how everything wrapped up, but I thought
killing Estevez was bullshit

I like the setup for season 2

Tizoc

Making my way thru Ep. 5 and it's my fav. so far
Todd revealing he never had the disease was a surprising twist

Socreges

Banned
Really liked the start of the first episode. Damn intriguing and bizarre. Seemed like my kind of show. Then Dirk Gently showed up. Holy shit is he irritating. Does he get milder? Or is it about what I should expect?

I also thought his choice of music was bad whereas the show's music was otherwise top-notch. He's obviously the show's driving force and raison d'etre but it's jarring.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Seemed like my kind of show. Then Dirk Gently showed up. Holy shit is he irritating. Does he get milder? Or is it about what I should expect?

He gets a bit better, but not by much. He's pretty annoying throughout, though that's sort of the point of his character.

Renpatsu

I think you get more context around Dirk's backstory as the story goes on. So while he might not change with regards to how he acts I think that you come to understand and relate to him much more than your initial impressions.

Jerry

Tried watching this over the weekend but its just too "Doctor Who turned up to 11 - LOOK HOW ZANY I AM" for my tastes.

Its like a high budget Nickelodeon teen show, irritating.

xequalsy

Can't say I got into this fully at first - the first episode was intriguing but a bit scattered. Really enjoying it right now though!

Just finished episode 6, and started the seventh, looks like some things are finally explained!

EDIT:
It's all so neat! Just that ending makes me want to binge the last episode too...

EDIT 2:
I'm not so sure I like how it all ended - the case was nice and all, but the Black Wing sideplot kinda takes me out of it a little. I know it looks like it'll probably be the focus of the next season (which I happened to see there should be one! :D), but the craziness with the body swapping and time travel was the best bits. (also everything is a little too coincidental and works out too neatly, like that woman who loved Lux also having the affair with that arrogant FBI agent)

However, that ending scene with Todd and the music kicking in was sublime.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It still amazes me that Dirk is played by the same actor that was Patti LuPone's secretary in Penny Dreadful.

HotHamBoy

I just watched this show over the last two days. Never read the books or watched the original (started the book yesterday, though).

Overall, I enjoyed my time with it.

Here are my main issues:

Bad acting. Some of the performances were just dreadful. First and foremost, Dirk is just played way too over the top. He's constantly at 11 and, while he is clearly supposed to be obnoxious, he succedes way to much.

Jade Eshete (while stunningly beautiful) was also laying the quirkiness on a bit too thick. Both her and Neil Brown Jr. were acting SO HARD in their more distressed scenes. You could see them thinking about each facial expression.

Elijah Wood's default face was Furrowed Brow.

But the show pulled out an intriguing tale that was fun to watch unfold, even if it was all very silly, and I really liked Bart and Ken. The violence was always very effective and shocking because of the tone of the show in general.

It still amazes me that Dirk is played by the same actor that was Patti LuPone's secretary in Penny Dreadful.

Mind blown, wow now I think back I can see it but huh.

I liked the series more then I thought I would at the start. It got better as the show went on imo. Read the books as an teenager but didn't really like them as much as hitchhikers. This series is better then the books honestly.

Mr. F

Banned
Tried watching this over the weekend but its just too "Doctor Who turned up to 11 - LOOK HOW ZANY I AM" for my tastes.

Its like a high budget Nickelodeon teen show, irritating.

Started tonight and already reconsidering because of this. Dirk is unbearable from minute one. Performances are so across the board that it's taking me out of it quite a bit. Shame as I really enjoy Elijah Wood and heard good things, not sure I'll stick with it.

HotHamBoy

Started tonight and already reconsidering because of this. Dirk is unbearable from minute one. Performances are so across the board that it's taking me out of it quite a bit. Shame as I really enjoy Elijah Wood and heard good things, not sure I'll stick with it.

Dirk is incredibly abrasive.

I think the show gets better as you adjust to him but it's never a great show. I did enjoy it by the end, tho.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Season 1 was added to Hulu today.

Comic-Con panel happening later today, so maybe there will be a Season 2 trailer.

Hulu? This better not mean Netflix is losing it.

Hell it's advertised as a "Netflix Original" in my region.

Finally got around to starting this, I'd been wanting to for ages, but forgot about it honestly.

First episode lays down a weirdness a little too heavy, but as it goes and starts to make sense of things it gets better. I'm sure that's the point, the "Holistics" of having seemingly random events eventually form a pattern.

The show kinda reminds me of Preacher a little bit, with really weird, amusing stuff happening puncuated by occasional extreme violence.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's not on the US Netflix? Huh, shame.

It's a co-production between BBC America and Netflix. Netflix has the rights to the show outside the US, while BBC America airs it linearly in the US and Hulu has the streaming rights to it thanks to their deal with AMC Networks.

Epcott

Glad to see season 2 is on the way. Just finished first season... Was initially put off since it felt like tried a bit too hard for that zanny random humour. Wasn't bad by the end.

Ruruja

Just got around to watching this and it was amazing!

Just in time for Season 2 as well it seems.

The show reminds me so much of Utopia. I'm sure it was inspired by it, and I just read in this thread that it has the same person who did the music for Utopia. Makes sense.

Yeah I got Utopia vibes from it too.

HarryKS

There is that one moment in the show that transports it from a middling but goofy enough to be interesting show to a bona-fide hit. When he sees the lotto results in the convenience store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom