• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
White House Bars Times and 2 Other News Outlets From Briefing

WASHINGTON — Journalists from The New York Times and two other news organizations were prohibited from attending a briefing by President Trump’s press secretary on Friday, a highly unusual breach of relations between the White House and its press corps.

Reporters from The Times, CNN and Politico were not allowed to enter the West Wing office of the press secretary, Sean M. Spicer, for the scheduled briefing. Aides to Mr. Spicer allowed in reporters from only a handpicked group of news organizations that, the White House said, had been previously confirmed to attend.

Organizations allowed in included Breitbart News, the One America News Network and The Washington Times, all with conservative leanings. Journalists from ABC, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and Fox News also attended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/us/politics/white-house-sean-spicer-briefing.html
Why are you posting this to me? Do you think i am a trump fan because of my comments when none of them have even remotely hinted that. I even said earlier in this thread that what trump is doing is disturbing and another perfect example of authoritarianism, i honestly fear what he is capable of doing. If you get wind of an official government new network starting up as part of his attack on "fake news" then it's time to pack your bags if your american. But i'm still puzzled why you reference me to that article in the first place.

People are and always have been allowed to ostracize those who say or do disagreeable things, just like PDP's fans have a hard on over the thought of the WSJ being brought down for publishing the story in the first place, nor how they don't seem to care that jacksepticeye is getting shit on because he apparently didn't come out in full support of the Pewds. Speech and action can freely combat speech and action. It's fair dues to be kicked out of the house party if you're shitting in the punch bowl. Really, at this point you're arguing against a fundamental aspect of human socialization and communication.
Oh definitely, but also one has to take into account the initial source of the outrage and it's validity. Now that we also know the author is guilty of making those same kinds of shitty jokes you have to ask yourself why this issue was brought up by him in the first place and what kind of agenda he was pushing. Like it maybe seems that the article was purely "clickbait" about (coincidentally) the biggest youtuber which designed to get a response from the reactionaries either positive or negative resulting in views. Who would've thought right. You have to ask what is the validity in the policing of humor especially when we find out the ones writing the story are guilty of the same thing.

That's the scary part. 13-year-old viewers watching Sargon. Why would you associate yourself with literal bigots who attacks organizations like BLM and degrades feminism?

The reason is he agrees with them and wants his viewers to watch their videos. Or he is a lot more like Trump than people think and he is thanking them for defending him without knowing anything about them or he doesn't care they are bigots. Only bad reasons lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCDfE_sKnM
New video from Felix. Honestly, I agree with him. The media is just too sad
I've always thought he's had a point with his media criticism. But as a response to him fucking up, "look how bad the media is" is a bad and inappropriate one. Take responsibility for your shit, don't turn it into "Bleh blah grr media." Which is what this now has become. Just makes it look like insincere deflection when he crams in a line or two about how he's not blameless or whatnot.

What's sad about this is the people watching who are less reasonable who'll be mobbing and sending death threats and whatnot and who'll be more susceptible to believing Trump's lies and war against the media. Instead of fanning the flames of a dumpster fire...like I don't know what he's been doing behind the scenes, if he's made reconciliatory efforts, but this feels more like him wanting revenge than justice.

Out of the gate he calls out the writer of an article for a doofy headline. But the writers aren't responsible for the headlines? So that's basically someone who's done nothing wrong he's directed his fanbase at.

He's just firing his 53m cannon and doesn't give a fuck about collateral damage. I thought he knew about Spider-Man.
Whoa. Maybe he doesn't know them?

Good video otherwise.
Maybe he should know who he's promoting?

Because it's actual anti-free-speech authoritarianism.
Yes and here was my post refrencing that not 5 posts before one you quoted.

That's when it starts to seem like a certain political segment is trying to actively police and limit what people can talk about by punishing people they deem offenders, this is actually a common tactic for authoritarian regimes (like what trumps doing with the media, which scares me).

but i like the way you say it's "actual" anti-free-speech like that somehow negates what i'm talking about, no in fact i directly referenced what trump is doing in comparison to what im talking about with the left and then called what is happening here a microcosm of that. I am not discounting large scale government bound authoritarianism and i don't know why you feel the need to imply that, i was just mentioning the trend of authoritarianism over free speech within liberalism that has been popping up far more recently in the last few years and the irony behind that.

Maybe before you jump in on and quote me one something you should read the whole string of posts and get some context before you hit submit. Because it will save the need for a pointless conversation in which you think you've made a great point without realizing i already made it.

hohoXD123

I've always thought he's had a point with his media criticism. But as a response to him fucking up, "look how bad the media is" is a bad and inappropriate one. Take responsibility for your shit, don't turn it into "Bleh blah grr media." Which is what this now has become. Just makes it look like insincere deflection when he crams in a line or two about how he's not blameless or whatnot.

What's sad about this is the people watching who are less reasonable who'll be mobbing and sending death threats and whatnot and who'll be more susceptible to believing Trump's lies and war against the media. Instead of fanning the flames of a dumpster fire...like I don't know what he's been doing behind the scenes, if he's made reconciliatory efforts, but this feels more like him wanting revenge than justice.

Out of the gate he calls out the writer of an article for a doofy headline. But the writers aren't responsible for the headlines? So that's basically someone who's done nothing wrong he's directed his fanbase at.

He's just firing his 53m cannon and doesn't give a fuck about collateral damage. I thought he knew about Spider-Man.

Maybe he should know who he's promoting?

I mean, if the WSJ has been playing dirty by going to his sponsors and publishing the article before asking for his comment then I can see why he'd target one of the hypocritical writers of the articles. Considering some of the downright ridiculous articles which have been made about him, I'm not sure how many of us would choose to ignore that were we in his position. I agree with your last point that he should know who he is promoting however.

So it's a "trend within liberalism" but actually occurring by non-liberals.
Did i say it only occurred in liberalism? Your're straw-manning me. I was talking about specific examples of it occurring within far left progressive liberalism. You're talking about an example of it occurring in far right conservatism, the very same example i used when making my comparison in this very thread and in the chain of comments you quoted.

That why i find this hilarious, because i already made that point and you bringing it up had no relevance to any part of the conversation except for that fact that you felt compelled to link me to an article about something i knew. You realize how dumb this looks? Like i said earlier try reading comment chains before you respond to a long conversation with only one post to reference.

Lothars

I mean, if the WSJ has been playing dirty by going to his sponsors and publishing the article before asking for his comment then I can see why he'd target one of the hypocritical writers of the articles. Considering some of the downright ridiculous articles which have been made about him, I'm not sure how many of us would choose to ignore that were we in his position. I agree with your last point that he should know who he is promoting however.
So how can you defend him if he's promoting people like that? How is that acceptable? It honestly makes this whole thing worst and makes him look bad.

hohoXD123

So how can you defend him if he's promoting people like that? How is that acceptable? It honestly makes this whole thing worst and makes him look bad.
Saying one party is in the right to attack another party does not mean I defend everything the first party does. I defend PDP for going after the media. I do not defend him for his promotion.

Lothars

Saying one party is in the right to attack another party does not mean I defend everything the first party does. I defend PDP for going after the media. I do not defend him for his promotion.
Meh I think neither group is innocent and for some of the points, they should be called out but PDP promoting people like that really just hurts any credibility he had.

Why even do this at all

Because they think they are funny. They think those jokes are great, they think they are the coolest people on the planet, and they probably lost touch with reality as they live in they own world in which all of this is incredibly cool and funny, but there is a real world outside who thought otherwise.

He's also thanking Sargon and giving links for his followers to support that platform. Good game I guess? Bravo? Just a joke right, no real influence right?
I've honestly never heard of Sargon until reading this thread and that was after watching PDP's video. Nobody cares about a reference in a video description

The reason is he agrees with them and wants his viewers to watch their videos. Or he is a lot more like Trump than people think and he is thanking them for defending him without knowing anything about them or he doesn't care they are bigots. Only bad reasons lol

It's bad that PDP agrees with Sargon defending PDP?

Jebusman

Banned
It's bad that PDP agrees with Sargon defending PDP?

I mean if the KKK started coming to your defense on something, that should

A. Give you pause that the KKK is defending you
and
B. You should probably not link back to the KKK.

Sargon literally believes certain races are genetically inferior to others.

Why would you ever acknowledge any attention from someone like that, let alone willingly link back to this person.

III-V

PDP is a grown man with an army of defenders for his anti-semitic 'jokes' flirting with the alt-reich he has no shame and he sports the hitler youth cut. I mean come on folks the writing is on the wall.

edit: literally the writing was on the paper he had the two men unfurl.

The WSJ should be afraid of PDP, he is infinitely more powerful than they are. The most watched person in the world is telling a generation of potential future subscribers that they are a pile of shit lol.

I don't think they have anything to fear. I imagine most his viewers will forget all about this when they exit puberty.

The_Kid

Isn't H3H3 part of the people who defended Jon and said the media is out to get youtubers when Jon went on a racist rant?

Youtubers vs. Media is so stupid. You don't have to pick a side. Both of them are fucking up. One doesn't negate the other.

AESplusF

Isn't H3H3 part of the people who defended Jon and said the media is out to get youtubers when Jon went on a racist rant?

Youtubers vs. Media is so stupid. You don't have to pick a side. Both of them are fucking up. One doesn't negate the other.

No, as far as i know h3h3 stayed completely silent about that. The reason youtubers are upset is because WSJ put out fake screenshots (of ads playing over racist videos on youtube), and caused a bunch of very large companies to pull all ads from youtube.

Meaning there is less money to be made on YT for everyone.

Armaros

No, as far as i know h3h3 stayed completely silent about that. The reason youtubers are upset is because WSJ put out fake screenshots (of ads playing over racist videos on youtube), and caused a bunch of very large companies to pull all ads from youtube.

Meaning there is less money to be made on YT for everyone.

Uh that was happening well before PDP stuff even came out and ended being about a patent troll.

Lutherian

LOL I imagine those posters got banned for shitposting, not because the mods have an agenda.

I mean, isn't that the only thing they need to do while banning assholes, is just to read one or two post. It's that enough to make this thread bullcrap and close it once and for all.

Next time, we should make a thread to defend another "I'm not racist but fuck all jews and you know, immigrants and people of colors are a threat to white people and the gene pool, but hey, I'm not racist nor anti-immigrant : look, my parents are from Iran and Hungary !".

AESplusF

Uh that was happening well before PDP stuff even came out and ended being about a patent troll.

"ended up being about a patent troll"? Idk what you mean, the author of the WSJ article tweeted it himself: https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/845345949023006720

I mean, isn't that the only thing they need to do while banning assholes, is just to read one or two post. It's that enough to make this thread bullcrap and close it once and for all.

Next time, we should make a thread to defend another "I'm not racist but fuck all jews and you know, immigrants and people of colors are a threat to white people and the gene pool, but hey, I'm not racist nor anti-immigrant : look, my parents are from Iran and Hungary !".

I have no idea what you're talking about, it sounded to me like you were implying that the mods banned those users for being anti-pdp, which is completely ridiculous.

Daemul

rYY1Opn.gif

Armaros

"ended up being about a patent troll"? Idk what you mean, the author of the WSJ article tweeted it himself: https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/845345949023006720

I have no idea what you're talking about, it sounded to me like you were implying that the mods banned those users for being anti-pdp, which is completely ridiculous.

Yes one WSJ piece about a YouTuber pushed all these advertisers away.

Not something like http://adage.com/article/digital/eric-feinberg-man-google-youtube-brand-safety-crisis/308435/

Not something like http://adage.com/article/digital/eric-feinberg-man-google-youtube-brand-safety-crisis/308435/

But some of the advertisers were contacted and confirmed that WSJ contacted them about the ads and asked what they were going to do about it. This prompted them to pulling the ads.

This isn't even about the doctored and embellished piece on Pewdiepie. This is about doctored and embellished screenshots given to the advertisers.

Armaros

But some of the advertisers were contacted and confirmed that WSJ contacted them about the ads and asked what they were going to do about it. This prompted them to pulling the ads.

This isn't even about the doctored and embellished piece on Pewdiepie. This is about doctored and embellished screenshots given to the advertisers.

So even more people then just the WSJ are in on this? How far with this conspiracy spread?

AESplusF

The claim that these ads have been showing up on highly inappropriate videos is questionable.

Where is the evidence?

YouTube has a system in place to demonetize videos of that kind, they started their ad-friendly changes months ago.

WSJ contacted big companies with faked screenshots as evidence, and only then did they pull out. So how is that not the root cause?

So even more people then just the WSJ are in on this? How far with this conspiracy spread?

It's not conspiracy. In case you weren't aware it's extremely common for news sites to post articles using other sites as sources, without doing any research of their own. News sites are not some infallible holy grail of information.

Where did I say there were more than just WSJ? The companies said WSJ contacted them. Now, there is proof that WSJ doctored and embellished screenshots. That's not a conspiracy, that is what is actually happening.

Armaros

The claim that these ads have been showing up on highly inappropriate videos is questionable.

Where is the evidence?

YouTube has a system in place to demonetize videos of that kind, they started their ad-friendly changes months ago.

WSJ contacted big companies with faked screenshots as evidence, and only then did they pull out. So how is that not the root cause?

It's not conspiracy. In case you weren't aware it's extremely common for news sites to post articles using other sites as sources, without doing any research of their own. News sites are not some infallible holy grail of information.

So the UK organizations that pulled out well before the WSJ article were also doing it with fake information?

So the UK organizations that pulled out well before the WSJ article were also doing it with fake information?

You keep going back to the article. This has gone way beyond that one article. For all we know WSJ contacted those UK ads before they targeted Disney and the others that confirmed WSJ contacted them with the screenshots....Which have been proven to be doctored for their agenda.

AESplusF

No, the companies that were contacted by the WSJ, who pulled out shortly after, were doing so with fake information. In all likely hood anyway, the companies may have pulled out for other reasons, but the WSJ was literally bragging about playing a direct role in their decision to pull ads.

And the screenshots are proven fake, there are thumbnails in the screenshots that were created months after the video was demonetized.

No matter how you want to spin this, the WSJ is putting out fake information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom