• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is trying to limit free speech. Just trying to hold people accountable for the dumb shit that comes out of their mouths.

Right... "accountability" Do you not understand that any coercion, whether it be through sincere threats of violence or taking away a person's livelihood is quite literally limiting a person's free speech and not only did Wall Street Journal get Disney to sever ties, they were trying to make sure that his videos could not be monetized. Coercive action is exactly how the limiting of free speech works.

hawk2025

Can you explain to me how the policing of humor doesn't restrict free speech? if you can't understand how that restricts free speech then you need to go read on the subject. But i wasn't just referring to this but also saying that in general that liberals seem to be going very authoritarian in there views when it comes to the policing of speech that they don't like. The UC Berkley protests are another example and i could name more but i really didn't come here for an argument especially one on a subject as straight forward as this.

I feel the need to say I'm not defending any of these people, i actually cant stand pewdie pie and from what i see of Milo i despise him.

What?When did i even suggest Disney couldn't respond to this situation however they want? So what's your point? That you lack the ability to think logically? Your actually a perfect example of who i'm talking about.

Wow.

Ok, moving on. I've said what I had to in this thread a week ago.

The White House has just blocked half the press, just now, from a briefing.

This is the fight of our lifetimes, and through his choice of words, PDP has aligned himself with the broad brush of lambasting "the media".

Millions will listen to him.

MUnited83

For you.
Can you explain to me how the policing of humor doesn't restrict free speech? if you can't understand how that restricts free speech then you need to go read on the subject. But i wasn't just referring to this but also saying that in general that liberals seem to be going very authoritarian in there views when it comes to the policing of speech that they don't like. The UC Berkley protests are another example and i could name more but i really didn't come here for an argument especially one on a subject as straight forward as this.

I feel the need to say I'm not defending any of these people, i actually cant stand pewdie pie and from what i see of Milo i despise him.

What?When did i even suggest Disney couldn't respond to this situation however they want? So what's your point? That you lack the ability to think logically? Your actually a perfect example of who i'm talking about.

Eh, Berkley protests were justified. Milo doesn't come to just talk, Milo comes to harass and target specific individuals on the places he goes. The protests prevented Milo from commiting yet another crime on stage. Everyone should fucking protest that dude wherever he goes.

Taker34

Banned
Its pretty bad one then considering there is no punchline (see what i did there) and seeing that it would be in line with their past posts on these issues.
In that case that user is mental because it does read like it's completely exaggerated. Like restricting Disney's right to not support an artist. I'm done with this whole topic if that's not sarcasm...

Om3ga

Ok, in the first thirty seconds he fails to realize that authors don't write story titles; the editor wrote it and changed it, not her.

He's railing against "the media" and he doesn't understand shit about it. And he's using a photoshopped image of JK Rowling in Nazi garb for... what purpose?

Also, you can't pull the "keep calling me an anti-semite, it's hilarious" troll look when your eyes are filled with rage as you say it.
The point was, "it's on the internet so it must be true". She criticized him for something she heard on the internet, so he's doing the same. He didn't photoshop it himself, It's from a blog post from 2010.

Is he really a Nazi or a Fascist? No. Did she really say she found dressing up as a Nazi arousing? No.

Fuchsdh

I don't think you got the point.

Perhaps you can enlighten me, then?

The point was, "it's on the internet so it must be true". She criticized him for something she heard on the internet, so he's doing the same. He didn't photoshop it himself, It's from a blog post from 2010.

Is he really a Nazi or a Fascist? No. Did she really say she found dressing up as a Nazi arousing? No.

His point seems more "the Wall Street Journal is afraid of me, that's why they are out to destroy me. But they're losing subscribers. Sad!".

Freedom of speech relates to what you can say, but it isn't freedom from consequence; someone boycotting your show or cutting ties with you is within their rights to react to your objectionable comments. Some people don't want to be associated with people who think it's funny to write anti-semitic slogans. What is humorous varies from person to person, that's not "policing". It's cultural norms.

Furthermore, in the US your only federal legal rights to free speech are regarding what the US government can do to curtail it. There's nothing in this whole story that has any relevance to free speech, ultimately.

I'm not going to dispute that there are authoritarian strains in liberalism I find distasteful and antithetical to liberal ideas, but that's no different than conservatives crying "free speech" and then wanting to ban burning the flag.

NeoGAF is like the only internet bubble who doesn't understand what's happening in this "Pewdiepie against the media" thing, it's pretty jarring

Ros8105

It's amazing that you have to explain this. I think some people just don't want to get it.

hohoXD123

Why is he promoting Sargon of Akkad and Kraut and Tea? He even has links to their channels in the description.

They may have collaborated with him for research, so he had to give credit where it is due. Don't know much about these youtubers but if they're as bad as people say they are then this really isn't a good look for him.

Ok, in the first thirty seconds he fails to realize that authors don't write story titles; the editor wrote it and changed it, not her.

He's railing against "the media" and he doesn't understand shit about it. And he's using a photoshopped image of JK Rowling in Nazi garb for... what purpose?

Also, you can't pull the "keep calling me an anti-semite, it's hilarious" troll look when your eyes are filled with rage as you say it.

funnest post i've read all day. loved that people had to actually explain this. i guess this shows that there is a major problem.

And people are ignoring this post.

Mukrf2V.gif

see5harp

I never defended PDP's content but it was clear from the start all or most of the articles were on some clickbait shit leaving out context intentionally. These editors actually trying to say that they followed journalism code for a dumb clickbait article is hilarious.

jtb

Banned
NeoGAF is like the only internet bubble who doesn't understand what's happening in this "Pewdiepie against the media" thing, it's pretty jarring

Not many places left in the internet that aren't completely overrun by anime nazis, so... yeah. I'd fucking hope so.

Christhor

Why is he promoting Sargon of Akkad and Kraut and Tea? He even has links to their channels in the description.

Since they're listed under "thanks" they have to have helped him somehow with this video? Maybe they were the ones who did the digging on Ben Fritz? Dunno, I guess he had to give thanks to them if they helped him make it, but it's not a good look.

Nepenthe

I really hope you are joking here. This is in some serious Poe's law territory.

Otherwise I'm suspecting you really don't know the nature of fascism.

If you can't tell that that was a joke, I don't know what to tell you other than you don't know what free speech is.

For fucks sake

You need to take a break from the internet

lol, way to prove his point.

Unless the original poster is joking, I'm not the one insisting liberals are restricting or violating anyone's freedom of speech even through the most outrageous examples of outrage culture you can find. Freedom of speech is a very specific doctrine which doesn't really prevent people from flaming out in the public eye because they said some dumb shit. Indeed, gamers' white-knighting insistence on invoking free speech every time some lame controversy like this happens is ironically subversive of people's and corporations' rights to not respond in kind to rabblerousers and provacateurs. You can't insist people have free speech but insist it's wrong of Disney and liberals to stop paying and supporting people they don't like.

All in all, free speech and expression is playing out as intended. And it's great! If you think it's being restricted, well, mayhaps you're the baddie. =P

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Not many places left in the internet that aren't completely overrun by anime nazis, so... yeah. I'd fucking hope so.

Wait...Why are you bringing anime fans into this? I don't understand.

ZeoVGM

Banned

So obviously you're going to inform us what is actually happening and not have this be a drive-by post, right?

Fuchsdh

funnest post i've read all day. loved that people had to actually explain this. i guess this shows that there is a major problem.

I have no idea what you're referring to.

I seriously don't know who those guys are.

I heard recently that sargon is a bad dude, but i don't know why. I know absolutely nothing about Kraut and Tea.

Only takes 30 seconds looking at their Youtube pages to get an idea of who they are and what they stand for.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SargonofAkkad100/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=5&view=0

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_Q-bPpcw5fJ-Oow1BW1NQ

Cyframe

You don't link to Sargon of Akkad if you want to step away from controversy. I can't view someone as sincere if they're doing that. PewDiePie can cite supposedly bias media reports but can't click on a single one of Akkad's videos?

I don't have any sympathy for PewDiePie, he didn't really apologize in his first video and in the next video, he seems arrogant.

And no one is policing his humor, he has an entire defense force. If anything that other popular youtuber who is getting called a traitor because he said his jokes were distasteful is a victim of that.

Om3ga

His point seems more "the Wall Street Journal is afraid of me, that's why they are out to destroy me. But they're losing subscribers. Sad!".
If that's what you took from the video then you've already made up your mind about him and you're no longer listening. You're only here to pick him a part now.

The internet already sided with Pewdiepie for the most part. People get his dark humor, and honestly that's all that should really matter to him, but at the same time he's upset. Let him talk to his fans about it.

You didn't care about Pewdiepie before this fiasco so stop caring about him now.

Fuchsdh

If that's what you took from the video then you've already made up your mind about him and you're no longer listening. You're only here to pick him a part now.

The internet already sided with Pewdiepie for the most part. People get his dark humor, and honestly that's all that should really matter to him, but at the same time he's upset. Let him talk to his fans about it.

You didn't care about Pewdiepie before this fiasco so stop caring about him now.

"The internet" is filled with terrible people with terrible opinions, so I'm not sure why you're using that as a scorecard. You can't be a public persona in it for the outrageous humor that should just be "for your fans" and then get upset after the fact that people don't get your jokes.

But yeah, I tend to call people out for their terrible shit. That's not "picking them apart", that's pointing out why people find it objectionable.

APF

Wait, can someone explain this to me? Rowling says "For those who think fascism is an edgy accessory," implying that he's just trying to be edgy, while linking to an article that explicitly says PDP was joking, and now he's justified in posting photoshops of her because she "read it on the internet?" Like... huh?

EDIT:

No this story relates to the policing of speech and is a kind of microcosm of the overarching authoritarian streak a lot of far left strains of liberalism show.

White House Bars Times and 2 Other News Outlets From Briefing

WASHINGTON — Journalists from The New York Times and two other news organizations were prohibited from attending a briefing by President Trump's press secretary on Friday, a highly unusual breach of relations between the White House and its press corps.

Reporters from The Times, CNN and Politico were not allowed to enter the West Wing office of the press secretary, Sean M. Spicer, for the scheduled briefing. Aides to Mr. Spicer allowed in reporters from only a handpicked group of news organizations that, the White House said, had been previously confirmed to attend.

Organizations allowed in included Breitbart News, the One America News Network and The Washington Times, all with conservative leanings. Journalists from ABC, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, and Fox News also attended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/us/politics/white-house-sean-spicer-briefing.html

Freedom of speech relates to what you can say, but it isn't freedom from consequence; someone boycotting your show or cutting ties with you is within their rights to react to your objectionable comments. Some people don't want to be associated with people who think it's funny to write anti-semitic slogans. What is humorous varies from person to person, that's not "policing". It's cultural norms.
Once again i never said it wasn't within their rights to cut ties with him, if i were making that decision at Disney (given their founders history which obviously would've been brought up) i would've done the same.

It is policing speech though when you go out of your way to use your platform to punish anyone you find offensive or inappropriate. A normal reaction to something you find distasteful is to move on but when you point it out and use your platform to try and actively ostracize that person while promoting your ideology then you are policing. Whether or not it's effective is up to your audience.

Furthermore, in the US your only federal legal rights to free speech are regarding what the US government can do to curtail it. There's nothing in this whole story that has any relevance to free speech, ultimately.

I'm not going to dispute that there are authoritarian strains in liberalism I find distasteful and antithetical to liberal ideas, but that's no different than conservatives crying "free speech" and then wanting to ban burning the flag.
No this story relates to the policing of speech and is a kind of microcosm of the overarching authoritarian streak a lot of far left strains of liberalism show. But my post was not referring only to this even and more to the fact that i've been seeing this kind of authoritarian liberalism show up a lot more lately.
It's not censorship or preventing free speech in a sense because none of these people hold positions of power, but that doesn't mean that what happened here and in many other cases isn't an example of people trying to push an authoritarian ideology.

It certainly reads like you are defending them.
You obviously can't read then. I cannot stand pewdiepie and like i said i despise Milo and everything he says, he is just a troll and a pretty shitty one. Try and find something i have ever posted in their defense. But i see what you're doing here, trying to paint me with some kind of bias and in negative light because my opinion doesn't agree with yours. Do you not find it funny that that's exactly what this thread is talking about? Wow.

Nepenthe

It is policing speech though when you go out of your way to use your platform to punish those views you find offensive or inappropriate. A normal reaction to something you find distasteful is to move on but when you point it out and use your platform to try and actively ostracize that person while promoting your ideology then you are policing. Whether or not it's effective is up to your audience.

People are and always have been allowed to ostracize those who say or do disagreeable things, just like PDP's fans have a hard on over the thought of the WSJ being brought down for publishing the story in the first place, nor how they don't seem to care that jacksepticeye is getting shit on because he apparently didn't come out in full support of the Pewds. Speech and action can freely combat speech and action. It's fair dues to be kicked out of the house party if you're shitting in the punch bowl. Really, at this point you're arguing against a fundamental aspect of human socialization and communication.

Hari Seldon

The WSJ should be afraid of PDP, he is infinitely more powerful than they are. The most watched person in the world is telling a generation of potential future subscribers that they are a pile of shit lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The WSJ should be afraid of PDP, he is infinitely more powerful than they are. The most watched person in the world is telling a generation of potential future subscribers that they are a pile of shit lol.

Pretty much yeah.

Ponn

Banned

Pretty much yeah.

He's also thanking Sargon and giving links for his followers to support that platform. Good game I guess? Bravo? Just a joke right, no real influence right?

Cyframe

He's also thanking Sargon and giving links for his followers to support that platform. Good game I guess? Bravo? Just a joke right, no real influence right?

That's the scary part. 13-year-old viewers watching Sargon. Why would you associate yourself with literal bigots who attacks organizations like BLM and degrades feminism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom