• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
Disney has the right to cut ties with him over this if they choose, that's perfectly sound.

Most people's issue with this has been with the WSJ and a host of other news outlets desperately trying to paint PewDiePie as a "racist", "anti-semite", "bigot", etc. for making an edgy joke.

Edgy jokes don't make someone a "nazi", they don't make someone go out and commit hate crimes, and people saying "You're not allowed to say that" will only make people want to say it more, especially with young people.

The young people that watch PewDiePie's videos watched the videos, understood that they where jokes, and moved on. Then comes along the WSJ who "researched" the same videos that these young people already watched and have unlimited access to. These news outlets then attempt to tell these 53 million+ young people that they know better than them and that PewDiePie wasn't simply making jokes, but rather attempting to somehow indoctrinate them in Nazi ideology.

Ironically, this will, and already has, backfired on these news outlets. These young people aren't idiots. They know good and well that PewDiePie isn't any of the awful labels these news outlets have been giving him. They aren't going to trust these outlets anymore. They're going to be critical every time one of them says that someone is a Nazi. And they are, most definitely, going to make more edgy jokes.

The side that attempts to become authoritarian in what jokes people are allowed to make or what people are allowed to find funny, will always end up losing younger generations.

But you're missing the point in how normalization works, how your bad jokes reflect on you, and how your bad jokes and excuses blur the lines between a real racist and an ironic edgelord. And I even talked about a bit from the now locked thread to his response video.

I mean, if you don't want hit piece after hit piece about you, you get better at what you do. All PDP does is punch himself with his routines and endlessly apologize for it and he shows no care about getting better about his content, or even how he approaches his comedy.

Good offensive comedians learn and better craft their skill so it's not totally misconstrued or contributing to something they're criticizing.

But time after time PDP has shown a tone deafness to his comedy and not giving proper setup and context that he and other people have to spell it out. And if you have to explain the joke, your joke was bad and it's no wonder many would see something else in your comedy.

PDP has shown a pattern that does give his apologies significantly less weight because he just keeps doing it. And his Tumblr apology was even more along the lines of "I don't take commentary seriously," "I know my audience" and "it's just a joke, it's not serious" but goes onto say he does not hold these beliefs.

And by comparison, here is a real anti-semite using the same exact language http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344766

Why bring that thread up? Because edgy irony and jokes with no meaning, then apologies with no substance come off the exact same way as a real card carrying racist. You're contributing to it regardless if you hold those beliefs or not.

Is he an anti-semite? I don't believe him to be. Is he contributing to anti-semitism and other forms of bigotry and hatred with his jokes with no substance or meaning? Yes. Jokes have meaning and a message, they always do. Because they carry your voice, they reflect who you are as a person and if you make bad jokes it reflects on you. So again, he's only punching himself and making himself deserving of hit pieces because he refuses to get better.

PDP has done a poor job of denouncing and condemning literal nazis if PDP is being defended by Richard Spencer right now. They still believe that PDP is on their side. You get an apology and sort of denouncement that he does not support those things and then shares a Kraut and Tea video who often co-hosts with Sargon of Akkad and you begin to see why they come to his defense.

The fact I saw Ethan showing a bit of interest to be on Sargon of Akkad's show about this PDP mess and many fans and other YTers like Jon Tron and Boogie rush in to tell him to do it does make me worried and I question just how much crossover there already is between the alt-right and their audiences.

The enemy of your enemy is not your friend.

But you're missing the point in how normalization works, how your bad jokes reflect on you, and how your bad jokes and excuses blur the lines between a real racist and an ironic edgelord. And I even talked about a bit from the now locked thread to his response video.

PDP has done a poor job of denouncing and condemning literal nazis if PDP is being defended by Richard Spencer right now. They still believe that PDP is on their side. You get an apology and sort of denouncement that he does not support those things and then shares a Kraut and Tea video who often co-hosts with Sargon of Akkad and you begin to see why they come to his defense.

The fact I saw Ethan showing a bit of interest to be on Sargon of Akkad's show about this PDP mess and many fans and other YTers like Jon Tron and Boogie rush in to tell him to do it does make me worried and I question just how much crossover there already is between the alt-right and their audiences.

We're witnessing a case study in alt right recruitment. It's fascinating and a little scary.

jholmes

The young people that watch PewDiePie's videos watched the videos, understood that they where jokes, and moved on. Then comes along the WSJ who "researched" the same videos that these young people already watched and have unlimited access to. These news outlets then attempt to tell these 53 million+ young people that they know better than them and that PewDiePie wasn't simply making jokes, but rather attempting to somehow indoctrinate them in Nazi ideology.

Ironically, this will, and already has, backfired on these news outlets. These young people aren't idiots. They know good and well that PewDiePie isn't any of the awful labels these news outlets have been giving him. They aren't going to trust these outlets anymore. They're going to be critical every time one of them says that someone is a Nazi. And they are, most definitely, going to make more edgy jokes.

The Wall Street Journal employs any number of professionals and they are not and should not be intimidated if a YouTube personality has 500 or 5 million or 50 million subscribers. There's a story here, no question.

Screwtape

Neo Member

Making a joke does not "normalize" an actual hate crime any more than playing a violent video game "normalizes" killing. People aren't dumb; people are inherently good.

PDP has stated, publicly, multiple times, that he does not endorse or agree with any far-right groups that are attempting to gain something off this controversy. I don't know what more he could do to "absolve" himself.

Ethan is an actual Jew who understands that PDP isn't some horrible, hateful, Nazi-enabler and was making a Joke. And the Sargon stream was a very calm, level-headed discussion of the controversy with a surprising diversity of opinion.

APF

Most people's issue with this has been with the WSJ and a host of other news outlets desperately trying to paint PewDiePie as a "racist", "anti-semite", "bigot", etc. for making an edgy joke.
Wait, the WSJ called him these terms, or are you imputing their motives here?

Then comes along the WSJ who "researched" the same videos that these young people already watched and have unlimited access to. These news outlets then attempt to tell these 53 million+ young people that they know better than them and that PewDiePie wasn't simply making jokes, but rather attempting to somehow indoctrinate them in Nazi ideology.
Wait, the WSJ claimed he was trying to indoctrinate his viewership? And was speaking to his audience and not a general audience?

Nanashrew

Banned
Making a joke does not "normalize" an actual hate crime any more than playing a violent video game "normalizes" killing. People aren't dumb; people are inherently good.

PDP has stated, publicly, multiple times, that he does not endorse or agree with any far-right groups that are attempting to gain something off this controversy. I don't know what more he could do to "absolve" himself.

Ethan is an actual Jew who understands that PDP isn't some horrible, hateful, Nazi-enabler and was making a Joke. And the Sargon stream was a very calm, level-headed discussion of the controversy with a surprising diversity of opinion.

Sorry but no. Sargon and his streams are anything but level-headed. Sargon is not a good person and a prominent GamerGater who literally has dogwhistled and started harassment campaigns. He was up there with Milo for a time and he's still a dangerous individual now.

And if PDP wants to absolve himself of that stuff, he shouldn't link to people like Kraut and Tea who is an actual racist pig. Kraut being a racist term itself for Germans.

EDIT: Looks like PDP now follows Sargon of Akkad, prominent GGer, woman hater, serial harasser and all around pig.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Looks like PDP now follows Sargon of Akkad, prominent GGer, woman hater, serial harasser and all around pig.

I am shocked. Shocked, I say. Next you're gonna tell me h2h2, Jontron and all the other Youtube elite
(minus hopefully Jacksepticeye please)
are doing the same.

Chinner

Banned
Wait, the WSJ called him these terms, or are you imputing their motives here?

Wait, the WSJ claimed he was trying to indoctrinate his viewership? And was speaking to his audience and not a general audience?

It's called a straw man argument, look carefully.

Sorry but no. Sargon and his streams are anything but level-headed. Sargon is not a good person and a prominent GamerGater who literally has dogwhistled and started harassment campaigns. He was up there with Milo for a time and he's still a dangerous individual now.

And if PDP wants to absolve himself of that stuff, he shouldn't link to people like Kraut and Tea who is an actual racist pig. Kraut being a racist term itself for Germans.

This is such dumb logic and paranoia that its hilarious. Its almost satire at this point. I highly doubt PDP even knows much about whoever that person's beliefs.

Whats clear. PDP has explicitly said he does not support any hateful groups, and a lot of his jokes are taking the mick out of them.

HonMirin

So let me get this straight. 9 separate videos featuring anti semetic 'jokes'. Each video is pre recorded, as in the material is watched before being submitted. Get called out and punished for uploading said material. 'Apologises', but says media is coming after him because he is big.

And from what I've read here some folks seem to be saying, but PDP is like "I give to charity, am very active supporting causes, I'm a good guy. Btw burn all Jews lol only joking play nazi theme haha just messing about nazi salute ahaha not serious young viewers!" He wasn't being serious, give him a break!

Telling a racist joke can arguably be excused. 9 separate incidents in the name of 'comedy' when you have a platform supported by millions of youngsters, not so much.

I highly doubt PDP even knows much about whoever that person's beliefs.
It would seem this persons beliefs are public knowledge. At this point he should be distancing himself from anything that would reinforce the growing perception that he holds racist views.

Riposte

The media response has done more to normalize a distrust of the media than it has to combat the normalization of antisemitism. Now plenty of shady folks will come in to fill that vacuum.

Jacksepticeye response to the whole thing.

Really liked it, reflects my thoughts on the issue as well and he doesn't go blindly on PewDiePie side like many Youtubers did.

Jack has easily the best video on this subject. I don't really regret ever following him.

I also feel the need to link to Jonathan Holmes article on Destructoid about this:

https://www.destructoid.com/pewdiepie-apologizes-for-offensive-jokes-claims-media-bias-against-him-419653.phtml

...along with an apology and admission from myself that I had started a thread when Jonathan had spoken about safe spaces and misinterpreted his ideas and intentions in said article, saying some pretty derisive shit in anger, and after some of his more recent articles I feel that I was completely in error and that the man has been doing some great writing when it comes to things in this current political and world climate. This would be one such time.

My one regret is that he has to deal with the comment section of his website which is filled with some pretty dreadful people. Never read comment sections and all that old ruling, but seriously, Destructoid's comment section is probably the last place I'd go to have a nuanced or intelligent conversation.

So big ups to both Jacksepticeye and Jonathan Holmes for their takes on this issue.

yes, i'm sure the wsj is terrified at the prospect losing the sizable pdp-fan share of their readership

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Not make jokes that consist of "Death to all Jews" and making a real apology without simultaneously playing the martyr and whining about people taking his racist jokes "too serious". The WSP should just release a post reading "It was just a prank, bro. U mad?" and see if his defenders would be all like "Oh yeah, well now this is a non issue"

My take.

Dude was always a attention seeking edge lord who got waaay to much main stream attention and these corporations jumping on him without actually knowing what kind of content he makes.

What happened was bound to happen eventually. Maybe mother fucking DISNEY will be smarter what random internet talking head they put money behind in the future.

There is a wider discussion to be hand about YouTube culture and shock value and attention seeking but I aint got time but hopefully this shines a light on and stops the money train for similar personalities.

Cheezus

I'm really concerned. I'm reading these posts about how PewDiePie is inadvertently recruiting for the alt right but I think what might actually contribute to alt right recruitment is the over reaction. PewDiePie has many young fans, some of them are just now entering the political scene and their first exposure to political outrage that relates to their own interests is the press and a mob of outraged liberals calling one of their favorite YouTubers a Nazi for making a joke, even AFTER he apologized. In my eyes this is a major optics failure for the left. How does this help the liberal cause in ANY way? Alt right groups positively THRIVE on ridiculing the "cult of outrage" on the left... It's practically their entire ideology.

PewDiePie apologized. Let it go. Continuing to raise a stink about it will do nothing. Demanding PewDiePie apologize again in a way that satisfies you (which I suspect for many is literally to delete his channel) just makes us all look petty. Pick your battles folks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm really concerned. I'm reading these posts about how PewDiePie is inadvertently recruiting for the alt right but I think what might actually contribute to alt right recruitment is the over reaction. PewDiePie has many young fans, some of them are just now entering the political scene and their first exposure to political outrage that relates to their own interests is the press and a mob of outraged liberals calling one of their favorite YouTubers a Nazi for making a joke, even AFTER he apologized. In my eyes this is a major optics failure for the left. How does this help the liberal cause in ANY way? Alt right groups positively THRIVE on ridiculing the "cult of outrage" on the left... It's practically their entire ideology.

PewDiePie apologized. Let it go. Continuing to raise a stink about it will do nothing. Demanding PewDiePie apologize again in a way that satisfies you (which I suspect for many is literally to delete his channel) just makes us all look petty. Pick your battles folks.

When you spent the majority of the time on your apology video attacking the "media" and throwing an actual apology in the middle of it, it's going to get overshadowed.

I agree that calling him a Nazi is ridiculous. But what he did was disgusting and an easy way to avoid being called a Nazi is to not think "kill all Jews" is a funny joke.

The only person to blame for the outrage before and after the apology is PewDiePie.

duckroll

Has PDP let it go? It doesn't seem like he's letting anything go. His opinion is that the mainstream media is against him, and his solution is to make a 11 minute video explaining why they are shit and scum, emphasizing the names of the two reporters he feels slandered him, and then ending it with a middle finger to the media calling them motherfuckers.

Does that seem to be the behavior of someone encouraging people to let anything go?

Has PDP let it go? It doesn't seem like he's letting anything go. His opinion is that the mainstream media is against him, and his solution is to make a 11 minute video explaining why they are shit and scum, emphasizing the names of the two reporters he feels slandered him, and then ending it with a middle finger to the media calling them motherfuckers.

Does that seem to be the behavior of someone encouraging people to let anything go?

The MSM and outrage culture cost him millions of dollars. I would give a middle finger response too.

This is factually incorrect.

Your alternative facts are wrong. WSJ tried to post evidence that PDP was an antisemite after some ridiculous digging that started by taking one of his social experiments out of context. PDP may have taken his experiment too far, probably motivated by "shock value", but if you publish 1-2 videos per day, most of them which are labeled "comedy", for however many years he has been doing this, he's bound to have "crossed the line" a couple of times like many comedians have. A few out of context examples using a library of thousands of videos he has posted to "prove" he hates Jews is ridiculous. After that article was posted, Disney knew they were trapped between a rock and a hard place. They had to take immediate action because they knew what backlash would occur if they dragged their feet disassociating with PDP. A lot of people here don't see PDP as a comedian or funny which I think is where some of the disconnect occurs.

Your alternative facts are wrong. WSJ tried to post evidence that PDP was an antisemite after some ridiculous digging that started by taking one of his social experiments out of context. PDP may have taken his experiment too far, probably motivated by "shock value", but if you publish 1-2 videos per day, most of them which are labeled "comedy", for however many years he has been doing this, he's bound to have "crossed the line" a couple of times like many comedians have. A lot of people here don't see PDP as a comedian or funny which I think is where some of the disconnect occurs. A few out of context examples using a library of thousands of videos he has posted to "prove" he hates Jews is ridiculous. After that article was posted, Disney knew they were trapped between a rock and a hard place. They had to take immediate action because they knew what backlash would occur if they dragged their feet disassociating with PDP.

Disney cut ties before the article was published.

duckroll

The MSM and outrage culture cost him millions of dollars. I would give a middle finger response too.

Okay, so if we consider that to be the scenario, there's no need for anyone to let anything go. It was the mainstream media and outrage culture that attacked PDP, he has nothing to apologize for, he gives them all the middle finger, and the mainstream media and outrage culture continues to shit on him because he gave them the middle finger.

What am I missing here?

sibarraz

Banned
I dont like the reaction by part of the media or some critics about the whole thing but in the end this is 100% pdp fault, I think that joking about dead jews is even more terrible coming from someone who has a fanbase of mostly kids and teens who probably has lots of fans that are jews, must be terrible for some, if not most of them to see your hero joking about that

With an "I fucked up, I learnt my lesson" this could have been better, but engaging a war against media is digging a bigger hole that will fuck him up more in the end

UberTag

Seems to me like the behavior of someone who made a terribly poor taste "joke" for the sole purpose of garnering attention and is now using the backlash of said joke to play the victim and garner even more attention.

In other words, apology or not I'm not convinced PDP has learned a single thing or even understands WHY what he did was wrong and flagrantly irresponsible given his predominantly youth-driven subscriber audience.

APF

Literally everyone I've seen talking about this appears to agree that Disney and Youtube did the right thing, so how exactly did the WSJ cost him money again?

Cheezus

I don't think that's relevant at all. For me all it comes down to is: an apology was made, a promise was made to not do it again, and somehow we are all still talking about it. I'm not surprised that PDP spent most of his video defending himself. He didn't have to apologize at all or even make the video. He could have just ignored it and probably wouldn't lose any additional followers to the ones he already lost. I just think this outrage has gone on too long, and is starting to get rabid. I agree with everything that was said in the jacksepticeye video, it was a dumb joke, I'm glad he apologized, and yet I still see people in here acting like he's taking direct orders from Steve Bannon to spam Breitbart videos to young impressionable kids.

Okay, so if we consider that to be the scenario, there's no need for anyone to let anything go. It was the mainstream media and outrage culture that attacked PDP, he has nothing to apologize for, he gives them all the middle finger, and the mainstream media and outrage culture continues to shit on him because he gave them the middle finger.

What am I missing here?

The punishment didn't fit the crime. Honestly I don't know how much of his income was reliant on Disney and Youtube red, but I imagine it was a lot. Now thats all taken away thanks to the media trying (and succeeding) to make him out as an antisemite. So now that he has that label above him, no company wants to have anything to do with him. If I were a big company, I would be pressured into doing the same thing. Happened to Paula Dean when she admitted to using "N" word and was labeled as racist. Her career was ended.

The Wall Street Journal employs any number of professionals and they are not and should not be intimidated if a YouTube personality has 500 or 5 million or 50 million subscribers. There's a story here, no question.

yes, i'm sure the wsj is terrified at the prospect losing the sizable pdp-fan share of their readership

I don't think Screwtape's point was about intimidation or how they poked a sleeping bear or something - I think his/her point is that 53 million people are plausibly going to shift altright-ward as a result of this. That's no skin off WSJ's nose, but for the rest of us, that is not a good thing.

I mean, we've already seen Richard Spencer swoop in to defend PDP in a transparent attempt to pull more sheep into his doomed flock.

duckroll

I don't think that's relevant at all. For me all it comes down to is: an apology was made, a promise was made to not do it again, and somehow we are all still talking about it. I'm not surprised that PDP spent most of his video defending himself. He didn't have to apologize at all or even make the video. He could have just ignored it and probably wouldn't lose any additional followers to the ones he already lost. I just think this outrage has gone on too long, and is starting to get rabid. I agree with everything that was said in the jacksepticeye video, it was a dumb joke, I'm glad he apologized, and yet I still see people in here acting like he's taking direct orders from Steve Bannon to spam Breitbart videos to young impressionable kids.

The punishment didn't fit the crime. Honestly I don't know how much of his income was reliant on Disney and Youtube red, but I imagine it was a lot. Now thats all taken away thanks to the media trying (and succeeding) to make him out as an antisemite. So now that he has that label above him, no company wants to have anything to do with him. If I were a big company, I would be pressured into doing the same thing. Happened to Paula Dean when she admitted to using "N" word and was labeled as racist. Her career was ended.

Okay the problem here is, you people seem to feel that because PDP "apologized", that "everyone" should just stop talking about it. Let it go. Etc. But he's not letting it go. He is happy to have open war with anyone who he feels wronged him. So why would people who wronged him (fairly or unfairly) let it go after he said "fuck you motherfuckers"?

PBY

Banned
Oh no not Paula Dean

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I dont like the reaction by part of the media or some critics about the whole thing but in the end this is 100% pdp fault, I think that joking about dead jews is even more terrible coming from someone who has a fanbase of mostly kids and teens who probably has lots of fans that are jews, must be terrible for some, if not most of them to see your hero joking about that

With an "I fucked up, I learnt my lesson" this could have been better, but engaging a war against media is digging a bigger hole that will fuck him up more in the end

I agree with the above poster, PDP hasn't learned anything. His reach and influence, at least in absolute numbers, are much higher than WSJ (I believe theirs readership is 2.2 million). He has won more support and attention from his 53 million fans he is directly connected through social means, and gained more influence and sympathy from young people with his call on the media for their foul play.

He is bigger and more assured in support now and will only continue to grow, and Disney and YouTube preferred status are basically moot in regards to affecting his career. He actually seems effective in discrediting the media, and his subscriber numbers are rising.

So what lesson is there for him to learn? I don't think he's terribly racist, or has any white nationalist agenda per se, but he knows damn well how effective publicity like this is, positive or negative. In fact, he could double down and he'd just get more media attention. He might not be a witty comedian but he certainly knows how to run his business with upmost success.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Your alternative facts are wrong. WSJ tried to post evidence that PDP was an antisemite after some ridiculous digging that started by taking one of his social experiments out of context. PDP may have taken his experiment too far, probably motivated by "shock value", but if you publish 1-2 videos per day, most of them which are labeled "comedy", for however many years he has been doing this, he's bound to have "crossed the line" a couple of times like many comedians have. A few out of context examples using a library of thousands of videos he has posted to "prove" he hates Jews is ridiculous. After that article was posted, Disney knew they were trapped between a rock and a hard place. They had to take immediate action because they knew what backlash would occur if they dragged their feet disassociating with PDP. A lot of people here don't see PDP as a comedian or funny which I think is where some of the disconnect occurs.

Disney cut ties before the article was published.

What was that about alternative facts?

Cheezus

Okay the problem here is, you people seem to feel that because PDP "apologized", that "everyone" should just stop talking about it. Let it go. Etc. But he's not letting it go. He is happy to have open war with anyone who he feels wronged him. So why would people who wronged him (fairly or unfairly) let it go after he said "fuck you motherfuckers"?
My point is that it's better that they let it go. Alt right groups are feeding on this whole thing because it gives them an opening to paint liberals as unreasonable. And we do look unreasonable.

APF

Oh poor Paula Deen who has had multiple tv shows, restaurant openings, and book sales since then :'( just for the harmless crime of saying what that famous rapper or famous comedian said probably :( where is the justice in this world.

duckroll

My point is that it's better that they let it go. Alt right groups are feeding on this whole thing because it gives them an opening to paint liberals as unreasonable. And we do look unreasonable.

Why are you speaking for everyone, like everyone agrees on this issue. Clearly people don't. If you don't care about it anymore, fine. But he clearly hasn't let anything go, so it's fair that some people will not consider the matter settled either. It's an ongoing situation of his own making.

Cheezus

Why are you speaking for everyone, like everyone agrees on this issue. Clearly people don't. If you don't care about it anymore, fine. But he clearly hasn't let anything go, so it's fair that some people will not consider the matter settled either. It's an ongoing situation of his own making.
You're right that I shouldn't speak for everyone, my point isn't all that different from others in that I personally think the issue is more or less settled for now, but it keeps raging on. I get worried about the alt right continuing to get bigger and bigger and feeding off of social media outrage similar to this. I've had close friends get sucked into the alt right through the whole "SJW " thing and I feel like I can't get through to them because they only focus on examples of when people take outrage too far and to me this feels like prime territory for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom