• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Mik_Pad

Banned
I wouldnt read so much into it as the ad was run with every showing of resident evil
For me it was surprising since it was the first vg ad I saw in a movie theater over here, since then it has been a PSASBR before almost every movie for about the last 3 months.

Crossover fighting game Street Fighter x Tekken will move two million, open world fantasy action game Dragon's Dogma will shift 1.5 million, and Dead Rising 2 Off the Record, a re-imagining of Dead Rising 2 starring Frank West, will sell 800,000 units.

kunonabi

Crossover fighting game Street Fighter x Tekken will move two million, open world fantasy action game Dragon's Dogma will shift 1.5 million, and Dead Rising 2 Off the Record, a re-imagining of Dead Rising 2 starring Frank West, will sell 800,000 units.

Did the Dead Rising 2 remake hit that mark?

Did the Dead Rising 2 remake hit that mark?

They said DR2 sold 2 million, as well as MvC3

Japan exclusive Monster Hunter Freedom 3 sold 4.6 million units, followed by Dead Rising 2's 2.2 million and Marvel vs. Capcom 3's two million.

As for their respective expansions, IDK. I do know SFxT(they blamed fighting game oversaturation), Operation Raccoon City, and RE6 fell short of their initial sales expectations.

As for DmC, 2m sounds about right.

Dahbomb

MVC3 sold a bit over 2 million and the expansion sold 600K.

RE6's sales projections were revised from 7 million to 6 million.

And REOC actually did pretty well.. it sold like 2 million.

SFxT sold like 1.5 million, it fell short of its 2 million expectation.

DR2: OTR fell way short of 800K.

RE6's number was adjusted, DmC's 2 million is still on track.

I seem to remember an adjustment for sales projections at some point in DmC's production, but I guess I'm mistaken.

Surprising that they expect it to sell about as much as DMC4, maybe less, so I'm curious how the budgets of the two games would compare to one another. DmC looks like it's had a troubled production, but I wonder if it was expensive as well.

Dahbomb

I think you are confusing it with the initial 5 million number which just like the Dragon's Dogma 10 million number was not a serious sales forecast.

I think you are confusing it with the initial 5 million number which just like the Dragon's Dogma 10 million number was not a serious sales forecast.

10 million is pretty hilarious, I'm sad that I missed that.

The 2 million is lifetime, not fiscal year/quarter, right?

paolo11

Well, he doesn't have Dante's moveset, so he can't deal with those Red/Blue enemies, or the chain pull thing. Probably needs his own separate mode(as DLC of course)

If they make a separate BP mode for Vergil, that would be great.

The question is that, would they do it?

Dahbomb

I don't see the point of putting DMC3 Dante in DmC. DMC3 Dante's design was never considered the best design for Dante to begin with and every DMC game has a different Dante. It was to be expected that they would re-design Dante but they went a bit overboard.

I honestly think that the Dante that they have now but with the hairstyle of that DMC3 Dante pic would've been an acceptable re-design. In fact I would venture a guess and say the design they gave to Capcom probably looked like that as well.

Endo Punk

So the game released early. Shame the problems from the demo are still present.
Also a shame that Dante being half angel, Sparda being a peasant and Eva an Angel amounts to absolutely nothing.
Major trollage :(

Dahbomb

So the game released early. Shame the problems from the demo are still present.
Also a shame that Dante being half angel, Sparda being a peasant and Eva an Angel amounts to absolutely nothing
:(
If I cared about the DMC lore that much then this would make me livid.

They changed up the lore, characters and background story so much... yet it didn't amount to anything. They didn't push the barrier or take the story to a new direction. It was all just change for the sake of change.

ttocs

For some reason, I think this game is going to be awesome. I'm usually not excited about DmC games since the first but I don't know, I have a feeling it's going to really click with me and I'll be hooked. I hope I'm right.

Ein Bear

I don't see the point of putting DMC3 Dante in DmC. DMC3 Dante's design was never considered the best design for Dante to begin with and every DMC game has a different Dante. It was to be expected that they would re-design Dante but they went a bit overboard.

It's a bit odd that the DMC3 version has sort of become the 'official' look of the old Dante (appearing in MvC3 and stuff) when it's his worst design. Heirarchy of Dante designs: DMC2 > DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3

If I cared about the DMC lore that much then this would make me livid.

They changed up the lore, characters and background story so much... yet it didn't amount to anything. They didn't push the barrier or take the story to a new direction. It was all just change for the sake of change.
Seeing how differently Dante was portrayed in the initial announcement, I can't help but think that Capcom got cold feet and tried to make as much of it the same as they could. I honestly don't think that having Vergil in this game was something NT initially wanted. If anything, NT should try to avoid creating unfavorable direct comparisons to the departed franchise, but unfortunately I think that's what a lot of their design decisions amounted to. Having Vergil and a lot of the old mechanics in mutated forms back in the game just sets up the same character dynamics and gameplay cues as the original, and with less refinement, but it was probably going to feel tired and derivative no matter what.

It reminds me of Ultimate X-men, where it was so amazingly refreshing for a couple of issues but all they did for the rest of the series was reintroduce characters and end up back where they started. Did they go through all this trouble just to get rid of Nero and Trish?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For some reason, I think this game is going to be awesome. I'm usually not excited about DmC games since the first but I don't know, I have a feeling it's going to really click with me and I'll be hooked. I hope I'm right.

There's only one DmC game, and it hasn't released yet.

Dahbomb

It's a bit odd that the DMC3 version has sort of become the 'official' look of the old Dante (appearing in MvC3 and stuff) when it's his worst design. Heirarchy of Dante designs: DMC2 > DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3
Design wise he wasn't great but he had the best weapon load out out of all the game and his rendition in Marvel was excellent because of it. Plus the higher poly model in MVC3 makes the design look better than before for some reason. Also Dante's face in Marvel looks older like DMC1/DMC2 Dante.

Did they go through all this trouble just to get rid of Nero and Trish?
Trying to explain those characters just creates more plot holes anyway. For DmC2 they should at least bring back Lady, that was a decent character at least.

Endo Punk

Capcom wants to buy NT? We shall see if they feel the same a month or two from now. I know the game hasn't released or reviewed by major critics but as it stands the franchise will grow more from a DMC5 then it ever will from a DmC2 and I bet Capcom feel the same though they are not willing to admit it now. They backtracked so much; original vision and sales goal that ultimately they knew they made the wrong decision but now have to go through with it.

Trying to explain those characters just creates more plot holes anyway. For DmC2 they should at least bring back Lady, that was a decent character at least.

So DmC2 will just be another DMC3-4 wannabe?

Design wise he wasn't great but he had the best weapon load out out of all the game and his rendition in Marvel was excellent because of it. Plus the higher poly model in MVC3 makes the design look better than before for some reason. Also Dante's face in Marvel looks older like DMC1/DMC2 Dante.

I assume MVC3 chose DMC3 Dante because they intended Vergil to be in the game from the beginning. Did Neo_G work on DMC3 or just 4?

A lot of Lady's appeal is that Dante didn't play along with her gloomy seriousness, and her arc was a good contrast to Dante's; her climbing up the tower like Adam West Batman while Dante did his motorcycle fuckery was a great sequence. I don't think any of that would work with new Dante, however.

Endo Punk

So it has come to my attention people who are saying DmC has a good ending say so because
they feel it sets it up for a sequel 0_o Since when are cliffhangers a good thing!?

is there any reason why they didn't hired pro writers for this one? (they did for Heavenly Sword and Enslaved)

People who work with NT never want to work with them again
?

SimonA

Neo Member
What exactly is telling you that the entire game is broken from that 5 second gif...please enlighten us...

The style meter was one of the hallmarks of the series, it was fun to create combos and have an S rank in the mission end screen. It made you want to improve, learn how to play the game and really enjoy the battle system. Since it's broken, and there's no confirmation of a fix, you don't have to try that hard anymore, making the game lose some of its appeal to me.

is there any reason why they didn't hired pro writers for this one? (they did for Heavenly Sword and Enslaved)

Figuring they are trying to mature their own internal writing staff and not hire from the outside. Perhaps they feel they have learned enough from the pro's to go at it thelselves

Top Bottom