• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wasn't huge on Quicksilver in DMC3, probably only used it a handful of times. I thought Doppelganger was better since it added a poor man's form of co-op.

Dahbomb

You can map the weapon swaps to L1/R1 and map the Dodge to something else (D-pad lol).

No one has actually tested that sort of weapon switch lag. The lag I am talking about is the one between switching from angel to demon weapons. From the way Greg was playing it, that weapon switch isn't that bad at all and probably is quicker than going from Angel to Demon forms.

MechaX

Ending was not bad, just lame compared to what we saw before. But it was not bad, at all. Graphics are geat too, it just music that is baaaaad.

I'm more disappointed in the ending than anything else.

It wasn't good, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting either.

It was literally just Donte being like
"Oh hey, Vergil's evil now. Oh, he throws out phantom swords occasionally, summons some copies to vaguely swing swords at me, and I have to run up and whack him a few times and repeat this pattern. Cool, I beat him, so I better stab him. Oh, girlfriend is telling me to let him go. Oh, okay, see you later Vergil." END

Raonak

Banned
So uh... what are the chances of DMC5 coming out any time soon?

Wasn't huge on Quicksilver in DMC3, probably only used it a handful of times. I thought Doppelganger was better since it added a poor man's form of co-op.

ah, I remember that fondly.

I'm more disappointed in the ending than anything else.

It wasn't good, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting either.

It was literally just Donte being like
"Oh hey, Vergil's evil now. Oh, he throws out phantom swords occasionally, summons some copies to vaguely swing swords at me, and I have to run up and whack him a few times and repeat this pattern. Cool, I beat him, so I better stab him. Oh, girlfriend is telling me to let him go. Oh, okay, see you later Vergil." END

Or you could just call that
a happier version of DMC3's ending.

Akainu

LVPzo.jpg

It's not MY Dante.

I'll still give this game the good college try though, but I absolutely don't like the new Dante.
That's not even the originals dante.

LTWood12

Really psyched for this. Just beat the original Devil May Cry for the first time a few months ago. Thinking about playing through one more before Tuesday. 3 or 4?

This spring is so great for character action games. I've rediscovered the genre in the last year or so and have had a lot of fun catching up on some gems from this and last gen. Man, these are the games that remind me why I love gaming so much.

EMT0

Banned
So, uh, never played a DMC game before, got DMC4 sitting in my Steam backlog for the forseeable(6+ months) future. Depending on how well-received(or not) it is, I'll get around to playing either this or 4 by tee end of the year.

Beth Cyra

Really psyched for this. Just beat the original Devil May Cry for the first time a few months ago. Thinking about playing through one more before Tuesday. 3 or 4?

This spring is so great for character action games. I've rediscovered the genre in the last year or so and have had a lot of fun catching up on some gems from this and last gen. Man, these are the games that remind me why I love gaming so much.

Most would say 3, and on the whole it is a better game then 4.

That said, I say play 4 as at least in my mind it's combat is unmatched. The combo of Dante and Nero and it's bloody palace is a better experince to me then the whole of 3.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This is true. It's always worth pointing out that Kamiya's Dante is as different from Itsuno's Dante as Itsuno's Dante is from NT's Dante.

That's a lot of Dantes.

DMC 1 Dante is pretty cool, and I like DMC 3 Dante despite his unpopularity here (First I'm hearing of people hating DMC 3 Dante.) I've never actually played 2 and I skipped it on my DMC HD run so maybe I should try it out.

Beth Cyra

DMC 1 Dante is pretty cool, and I like DMC 3 Dante despite his unpopularity here (First I'm hearing of people hating DMC 3 Dante.) I've never actually played 2 and I skipped it on my DMC HD run so maybe I should try it out.

Did you look at the DMC2 Dane on the cover of your collection? If so then you've already played and experince DMC2 Dante.

If you really want to experince DMC2 Dante then you need to buy SMT3 Nocturne.

This isn't however me telling you not to play DMC2. Unlike alot of people I do think it's worth experincing and it does introduce things that would later come to be standards in DMC3/4. Not only that but it's easy as hell so it's not like it even takes alot of time or effort to see it through.

Noi

Play SMT Nocturne. It has the only redeeming form of DMC2's Dante, arguably the best one since it's DM1 Dante in DMC2's clothes.

LTWood12

Most would say 3, and on the whole it is a better game then 4.

That said, I say play 4 as at least in my mind it's combat is unmatched. The combo of Dante and Nero and it's bloody palace is a better experince to me then the whole of 3.

Wow "unmatched"? Makes me want to put it in right now instead of going to bed.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Might not be the best idea, actually. I've spent the past month getting used to DmC controls, then went back to DMC4. That worked out about as well you can imagine. :(

My only problem with DMC3 Dante was his need to throw out a random Ric Flair style "Woo!" every so often. I really did enjoy DMC4's Uncle Dante.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My only problem with DMC3 Dante was his need to throw out a random Ric Flair style "Woo!" every so often. I really did enjoy DMC4's Uncle Dante.

I really need to get through DMC 4! I got it when I didn't have a powerful enough computer to run it and it kinda slips my mind often now that I do have one that can run it with DX10 and everything at 60 FPS.

Might not be the best idea, actually. I've spent the past month getting used to DmC controls, then went back to DMC4. That worked out about as well you can imagine. :(

Uncle Dante is one of my favorite characters. It's a shame we don't have a game starring him.

DigitalOp

Banned
CAUTION: This opinion might hurt core DMC Fans. Im a fan of DMC but lack heavy knowledge into the metagame mechanics and just like it for what it is.

I'm feeling two things that may not make this game a failure.

1.) Review Scores

2.) Advertising

Which both directly relate to sales. For some reason, even though the DMC fans are irate about this, I think ultimately this game will sell well, why you may say?......

First, This game isn't marketed for DMC Fans... as much as Capcom and Ninja Theory lie, It simply isn't. This game is for my friends who regularly don't play anything besides Madden 20XX, 2K XX, CoD: Blah, Halo X, and Hot Game of the Month.

DmC is Hot Game of the Month.

Especially if review scores come in favorable as they seem to be. Capcom had a very popular Japanese franchise with a massive fanbase westernized and re-marketed to a new consumer base.

If Im to believe how this thread is going; and I'm paraphrasing the discussion, the game was subsequently "dumbed down" in order to find mass appeal.

If we take in the game, without prior back knowledge of the series, and play it as someone who regularly doesn't play a massive selection of games... DmC would be a pretty good game.

You could akin it to Fisher Price: My First Stylish Action Game

All it needs is Advertising and we'll see if Capcom really wants to make this happen.

This has worked before. All you have to look at is the Dante's Inferno superbowl commercial and the marketing of Skyrim.

Those marketing campaigns of those respective games found interest in people who didn't regularly play games

Of course not to play full Devil's Advocate, this is pretty damn horrible for true fans of the franchise. The only good I see is more exposure by new fans of this product and dig to find the original series after some research.

But that seems to be my whole observational take on this game. Its a very fascinating occurrence in the industry and we'll see how it plays out.

Discuss.
I will pay no more than $15

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't forget that DMC3 Dante was a male stripper. He walked around shirtless and could twirl around on stripper poles.

MBisonYesYES.gif

I don't get the hate for DMC3 Dante. He was still a kid.

But unlike Donte, DMC3's Dante isn't being edgy for edgy sake. He still has the cheese-ball humor about him.

Akainu

Worst thing about dmc4 dante besides looking like a cowboy was the peachfuzz on his face. Dante always seemed like a clean shaven guy.

Beth Cyra

CAUTION: This opinion might hurt core DMC Fans. Im a fan of DMC but lack heavy knowledge into the metagame mechanics and just like it for what it is.

I'm feeling two things that may not make this game a failure.

1.) Review Scores

2.) Advertising

Which both directly relate to sales. For some reason, even though the DMC fans are irate about this, I think ultimately this game will sell well, why you may say?......

First, This game isn't marketed for DMC Fans... as much as Capcom and Ninja Theory lie, It simply isn't. This game is for my friends who regularly don't play anything besides Madden 20XX, 2K XX, CoD: Blah, Halo X, and Hot Game of the Month.

DmC is Hot Game of the Month.

Especially if review scores come in favorable as they seem to be. Capcom had a very popular Japanese franchise with a massive fanbase westernized and re-marketed to a new consumer base.

If Im to believe how this thread is going; and I'm paraphrasing the discussion, the game was subsequently "dumbed down" in order to find mass appeal.

If we take in the game, without prior back knowledge of the series, and play it as someone who regularly doesn't play a massive selection of games... DmC would be a pretty good game.

You could akin it to Fisher Price: My First Stylish Action Game

All it needs is Advertising and we'll see if Capcom really wants to make this happen.

This has worked before. All you have to look at is the Dante's Inferno superbowl commercial and the marketing of Skyrim.

Those marketing campaigns of those respective games found interest in people who didn't regularly play games

Of course not to play full Devil's Advocate, this is pretty damn horrible for true fans of the franchise. The only good I see is more exposure by new fans of this product and dig to find the original series after some research.

But that seems to be my whole observational take on this game. Its a very fascinating occurrence in the industry and we'll see how it plays out.

Discuss.
I will pay no more than $15

Most of this is pretty much what Dahbomb and a few others have been saying for a while.

I also think it will do well, and I'm okay with that. I will eventually give it ago and if when that happens I was wrong I will eat my crow. I just won't do it when it costs me more then a 10 spot and that money actually goes to Capcom giving Ninja Theory another sale.

Raonak

Banned
Loved DMC4 dante. He really did feel like a grown up version of DMC3 dante. when he's first introduced he seems all serious and junk, but then you play as him, and realise he's as over the top as ever.

that Shakespeare scene always gets me.

and for all the shit DMC4 gets, it had the best combat in the series imo. just wish bloody palace didn't have that time limit, blitz still fuck me up if im not prepared.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DMC4 Dante was perfect. Shut up, shut up, shut up. >:|

In fact all the DMC Dante's were perfect. Why Capcom felt the need to change up with Donte... I dunno. Donte is really artistically weak in comparison to where he needed a smoking habit just have an interesting design. :/

Beth Cyra

Loved DMC4 dante. He really did feel like a grown up version of DMC3 dante. when he's first introduced he seems all serious and junk, but then you play as him, and realise he's as over the top as ever.

that Shakespeare scene always gets me.

and for all the shit DMC4 gets, it had the best combat in the series imo. just wish bloody palace didn't have that time limit, blitz still fuck me up if im not prepared.

Outside of DMC3's ending, my favorite moment from Dante is DMC 4 Hip Thrusting while chucking Luc Darts. Top 10 moments of the Gen right there for me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Uncle Dante might be best Dante, I'm not sure. I have a nostalgic soft spot for "Fill your soul with light" Dante.

I think DMC4 has the best combat in the genre. Both Nero and Dante were incredible to play with for different reasons.

Outside of DMC3's ending, my favorite moment from Dante is DMC 4 Hip Thrusting while chucking Luc Darts. Top 10 moments of the Gen right there for me.

That or his exchange with Agnus. Exactly what I want when I play a DMC game.

Pandora's box is an honorable mention

Beth Cyra

His "just another day walking at the park" attitude gets pretty tiresome.

The thing is, with someone as crazy strong as Dante it totally made sense. The man killed pretty much god, and that was when he was younger and weaker. There is pretty much nothing that can touch him and he knows it.

Having someone that absuredly strong, not to mention cocky so he knowns he's that strong act any differently would just be awkward.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The thing is, with someone as crazy strong as Dante it totally made sense. The man killed pretty much god, and that was when he was younger and weaker. There is pretty much nothing that can touch him and he knows it.

Having someone that absuredly strong, not to mention cocky so he knowns he's that strong act any differently would just be awkward.

I think that's one of the reasons for the reboot though. Dante's only viable challenges are Vergil and Mundus and both are dead/sealed away in the original continuity.

Itsuno probably had no idea what to do with him.

I think that's one of the reasons for the reboot though. Dante's only viable challenges are Vergil and Mundus and both are dead/sealed away in the original continuity.

Itsuno probably had no idea what to do with him.

Am I the only one who would be okay with a fresh villain? DMC4 Dante getting taken down a peg? I don't need things to fall into the Dragon Ball Z pattern of A NEW WARRIOR IS INTENT ON DESTROYING EARTH ONLY GOKU [DANTE] CAN STOP HIM, but I would be fine with the introduction of some new antagonists.

or just give me a Sparda game

Top Bottom