• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like to drink hot water or cold water?

Hot water?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any studies to support this? It's seems more like a cultural thing rather than something which is actually beneficial to health.

Well simple physics explains how things react to changes in temperature, so there's got to be some technical difference to how it reacts between consuming a cold-cool-neutral-warm-hot beverage. But to a large enough degree to have health benefits? I don't know. Personally when I tried chugging ice water after working out my throat would constrict, but I don't think it's less healthy.

big_z

During the winter months Canadians drink hot water in the shower all the time. It gets so cold here it's taught in school as a survival technique to raise body temperature. Now I understand why you guys voted trump.

Magwik

Banned
You trying to outdo OP in WTFery?

I've never drank hot water inside of a shower.

The only drink I like hot is my cocoa. Everything else is ice cold.

Who the hell drinks hot water inside the shower?

Cold water, only.

Life Hack: Close your mouth when showering.

What the?

Woah woah woah, slow up everyone.

You drinking shower water? Like, the shit that comes out the showerhead?

you're weirder than the op
It's refreshing man.

Mostly cold water because it's easy.. straight out the water tap.
But i also drink hot water in the evening. Sometimes with tea, sometimes just hot water. Sometimes with a bit of cinnamon or honey, or both.

MGrant

Cold water is best. But now that I live in Asia, it's somewhat harder to get a cold drink at some places. So I've grown accustomed to hot water and tea.

Xater

I prefer room temperature water. Cold water is also alright, but only if it's hot. I would never just drink hot water.

Kup

I boil water and add a slice of lemon sometimes if I'm feeling a bit unwell or congested... but warm water from a tap? No.

I don't like my water ice cold either.

Chichikov

I always wondered if this was a thing.

A Chinese restaurant moved into my town claiming to be "Northern Chinese cuisine" and had a menu full of stuff I've never seen or heard of before. Every time I've eaten there the waitstaff swings by the table and asks "can I start you off with something to drink? Soda? Tea? Hot water?"

My rationalization was something about customers bringing their own tea to the restaurant but I always thought that was flimsy reasoning on my part.
It's very much a thing. Most Chinese people drink hot or at least room temperature water and many believe that drinking cold water (or cold anything for that matter) is unhealthy (though it should be noted that it is kinda on the same level that people in the west think that going out with a wet hair can lead to you catching cold. It's not like medicine is practiced on those things).
In many restaurants you can't cold water or even cold beer. And almost all assume that if you ask for water you don't want it cold. You need to specifically ask for ice water if you do (and you'd still likely to get water which isn't as cold as you'd expect).

webkatt

I always wondered if this was a thing.

A Chinese restaurant moved into my town claiming to be "Northern Chinese cuisine" and had a menu full of stuff I've never seen or heard of before. Every time I've eaten there the waitstaff swings by the table and asks "can I start you off with something to drink? Soda? Tea? Hot water?"

My rationalization was something about customers bringing their own tea to the restaurant but I always thought that was flimsy reasoning on my part.

It's a thing. I think it is more cultural than anything else, kinda like only using milk for breakfast cereal. It's not really science as it is Traditional Chinese Medicine. Also I've never heard of bringing your own tea to a restaurant.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-china-hot-water-20160313-story.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/we...why-you-should-consider-it-as-well/ar-AAnegU4

HeatBoost

I once tried drinking regular hot water because I was cold and didn't have any coacoa and it made me heave for some reason

Never have that problem with tea or anything, so it was really weird

jobrro

It's the same water that comes from the kitchen tap (at least where I live)

Water stored in a hot water tank isn't meant to be consumed. Not sure whether it is bad for instant hot water systems.

At home I prefer water to be room temperature, but iced at restaurants is fine.

We have a tap that instantly dispenses boiling water in our office. It means there isn't a cue for a kettle to make instant tea or coffee.

I'll sometimes just fill a mug with boiling water without a tea bag or coffee. Then I'll drink it as it cools.
It's probably laziness but I don't mind it.

ReAxion

cold water doesn't agitate and dispense potentially harmful minerals from the tap as hot does. this is why you cook with cold water and heat it rather than starting hot.

Mathieran

Banned
I don't know anyone that drinks hot water.

I usually drink room temp water unless I'm hot, then cold water can be really refreshing.

Clydefrog

I have been experimenting drinking hot water and I've noticed to enjoy it longer and more

oQ2hUGy.gif

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
its real nice to boil the kettle, get your lips around the boiling spout and pour the boiling water right into your mouth. Cold water for me, I do like a hot tea though.

eso76

Never even thought of drinking hot water, i mean is it even something people do ? I would have never imagined.
But now that i think of it, it might have its appeal

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love hot water.

Oh you mean without the tea bag inside? Then no, im nit a crazy person :3

Cdammen

Hot? Well I drink tea, and some teas are really light so it's almost like drinking hot water... I guess. But just on its own? No.

Room temp water or slightly below is nice though.

Cold is always the go-to, refreshing and reinvigorating!

Aleh

I already find it hard to drink room temperature water, nevermind hot water, it's almost disgusting to me.

Monocle

I have good tap water. I tried some hot water the other day and it wasn't bad, really. Lukewarm water isn't great though.

MsKrisp

Room temp or cold for me, but drinking it warm or hot isn't a big deal

Drinking hot water (outside of drinks that use hot water) is some serial killer shit

More like a Chinese thing really

Are there any studies to support this? It's seems more like a cultural thing rather than something which is actually beneficial to health.

I remembered reading that there were benefits, but when I google it most of the websites that come up are just questionable "health" listicles. Dunno if there's any actual studies, but here's a fluff article I found on MSN:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/we...fits-of-drinking-hot-water/ss-BBxiid1#image=1

Hot water only? Without tea, coco, or coffee mixed with it? I honestly didn't know that was a thing. I mean, what do you do if you are really parched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom