• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

rvy

Banned
dcy9mfydv2.jpg

Lovable douchebag this fella is. He's terrible at taking photos and that one is about 2 years old. Named him after Nero from DMC 4 (yeah, I know, how nerdy is that).
Anyway, I heard people say that labs were really smart, but I had no idea how smart.
KuGsj.gif

modelol9dze.png

This was my previous dog, had her for a long time. She passed away a few years ago, I cried like a baby for days.

Shitty photos, I know. Sorry about that.

Dogs, man. <3.

taoofjord said:
Meet Wills. He's a 2.5 year old, 13 lb King Charles Spaniel. I rescued him two months ago.

He's extremely affectionate and very friendly with strangers. I've taught him how to sit, stay, come, and kiss. The only one of those he does immediately and without fail is kiss. He will either give you a lick on the face, or what I believe, is his version of a human kiss, where he open his mouth and presses his "lips" against your face. He also loves to lay his head on things, like you. :)

2hnmjpt.jpg

We had two of those when I was a kid.
They all have the habit of licking your face, you have to teach them not to do it asap or it will drive you nuts.

Ours didn't have such a stubby nose though, they are much prettier with a normal nose.

Our first one looked like this (the resemblance is uncanny, exact same markings etc as in this pic)
eng_toy.jpg

Sorry no original pic, we didn't have a digital camera when she was alive as it's like 14 years ago.
She was also a rescue, we got her from a breeder who 'used her up' for puppy breeding because she was a pure bred prize dog.

Don't get too attached, they all die around age 10-11 from heart disease.

The second one we had after the first one died was a bit of a mutt (markeings not symmetric etc) in comparison but also a very sweet dog.

They are too submissive though.

HylianTom

Banned
Our akita, Jake, was incredibly stubborn when we were training him as a puppy. If another large dog came within 10 feet of either of us, he'd immediately go into "I-must-defend-Daddy" mode, acting very aggressively in attempting to take down the other dog(s). (his fight scars are still semi-visible)

We ended-up having to force him to show his belly - a sign of submission - each time he exhibited this behavior. We'd also allow the other dogs to come over and smell him while he was in this position. After a few months of doing this, he finally caught-on and calmed down.

Akitas are definitely hard-headed. If you don't assert yourself as the "alpha" in the household, they can end-up being the dominant personality living there. It's almost like having a kid.. lots of time and attention required.

But they're so damn worth it..

dacuk

Egnirys said:
This is Lakota my Siberian Husky / Malamute mix. She's 6 years old approximately. Lakota was adopted when she was a puppy at a rescue shelter, apparently someone abandoned her on the side of the highway in Arizona when she was a puppy. I don't know how someone can do that, especially when she was a little ball of fluff.

13z75s4.jpg

Yep, supposedly we humans are the intelligent species....

equap

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
You dont want to give other people treats to allow them to pet her, as she will only ever let someone pet her after they give her a treat/food. It will lead to her being more antisocial. I suggest patting her while someone else is there and letting them start patting her while you are patting/holding her, eventually she will warm up to strangers.
that makes sense. I will do that, thanks!

-------------------------------------------------
unrelated and don't want to make two posts

6a00d8341bf67c53ef015390f5f2de970b-pi

http://blogs.discovery.com/daily_tr...ourns-lays-at-casket-of-fallen-navy-seal.html

:(

Pastry

Banned
I'v got a question for dog GAF. I have a 3 year old lab that has his vaccinations, had a checkup recently, and regularly gets heart worm and flea/tick medicine. I moved back into my parent's house (they just got a new puppy too) about a month ago and recently he has taken to sneezing a lot. I'm only living here for another three weeks and I think it might be dust or something so I'm not too worried about. Is it most likely allergies to dust/pollen in the new house or should I go ahead and take him to the vet?

equap

Banned
Pastry said:
I'v got a question for dog GAF. I have a 3 year old lab that has his vaccinations, had a checkup recently, and regularly gets heart worm and flea/tick medicine. I moved back into my parent's house (they just got a new puppy too) about a month ago and recently he has taken to sneezing a lot. I'm only living here for another three weeks and I think it might be dust or something so I'm not too worried about. Is it most likely allergies to dust/pollen in the new house or should I go ahead and take him to the vet?
i also think it's allergies.

i heard people used children benadryl for dogs to combat this but research this and/or talk to vet about it.

I really want a dog, the wife and I have been considering it since last month. I was able to go to an animal shelter yesterday and found a black lab/mix thats a year old. They'll be able to release him tomorrow but I'm afraid that by the time I get there he'll be long gone. I hope hes there when I go. Anyone in L.A. know where I can find affordable labrador or german shephard puppies/dogs ?

ollin

iceDragon7 said:
I really want a dog, the wife and I have been considering it since last month. I was able to go to an animal shelter yesterday and found a black lab/mix thats a year old. They'll be able to release him tomorrow but I'm afraid that by the time I get there he'll be long gone. I hope hes there when I go. Anyone in L.A. know where I can find affordable labrador or german shephard puppies/dogs ?
Petfinder

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
To anyone who owns a German Shepherd can you help me out?

I got my 5 month old GS puppy neutered yesterday and he has to wear one of those lamp shade collars to prevent him from licking the surgical area. My concern is will this collar in any way mess with the way his ears stand up? They were up before we took him but now I noticed that one of them is now a little floppy.

Am I worried or just over reacting?

ollin said:

Thanks, I've been looking there. I find some but they're not really animal shelters more like a place that raises them and they overcharge at least imo.

As for Thor, I don't own a dog but if I had a German Shepherd I would want his ears to flop but thats just me.

Next week Shikko is turning 10 months old. And I can defintely confirm that he has become a 'teenager'.

And it litterally changed from one day to the other. About 2 weeks ago it just said 'click' and he began being much much more aware of scents (I assume he's after the ladies :p), sights and sounds.
Furthermore his interest in his dry food (morning when he has to 'search' for his breakfast on the lawn, and on walks) is really really low. Granted he has gotten the same food ever since we got him at 12 weeks, so we should probably buy another variant next time (like salmon or something, we buy 14 kg dry food bags). If I show him a piece of dry food, he will give me a look that says 'do you really think I'm gonna eat that'. He still wants to eat them if I have him search for them on special places (trees, hiding them under stuff) and when he has been excercising.

Those two things together means that he is pretty much only eyes and ears(and nose) during walks. The connection between us has been pretty poor(it's getting better again though!). I've always brought some extra special treats with me on walks, but as he has lost inerest in most food I now have to bring out the big guns on walks. Roastbeef, Liver treats, Pork Chops... fuck, he's getting better food than me now XD

When we have to cross a road we always have him sit when we reach the edge of the pavement. We have done this from day 1, and we do it everytime we cross a road. But the last 2 weeks, he just stands there at the edge staring at traffic or whatever. I can say sit as many times as I want and he wont hear a thing. So it takes like 10 secs before I can get his attention and command him to sit.

The last 2 or 3 days have been much better though, his focus on me is slowly getting back.

Anyway here are some recent photos:

shikko10_1.jpg

shikko10_2.jpg

shikko10_3.jpg

shikko10_4.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
kevo_huevo said:
I just watched Hachi: A Dog's Tale the other night. Couldn't control the tears.

We saw the movie a few months ago. One scene absolutely wrecked us:
the one montage where we see Hachi age in different clips as he's walking. As he got older and rougher-looking, he began to resemble Jake (our akita) more and more.

My other half is not one to cry at movies very easily, but he bawled like a little girl at the point, which, of course, set me off.

On a more positive note, we celebrated Jake's 14th birthday yesterday. He got a whole steak to himself and ate like a pig.

We have theory on his lifespan that's related to OutRun (the video game): Autumn is his "CHECKPOINT!" Summers here in the south are cruel to him, but once Fall comes along, he peps-up big-time.. there's spring in his step, he "talks" more openly, he's more likely to fight us for food and attention - it's almost as though he's been granted a time extension on his life.

SupJake.jpg

"Sup?"

One month left until the big move back to his hometown (NOLA). I've prayed for a long time that he would make it, and things are looking damn good at this point.

Gaf I'm having trouble with my dog. He's a toy breed, a Shiz-tzu mix male. He's 2 years old and likes to run off, always. Whenever we open the front door he'll dash out from under our legs and run around out in front. Catching him is a problem too. He refuses to listen, and training him is painfully slow considering he's too stubborn. It took him over a year to become potty trained. It took our last dog a few weeks, no excuse. This isn't my first time with a dog, I had a Dalmatian-mutt for 15 years and he was a good well trained dog.

This is an older picture of him. He looks the same, but without all that hair on his face.

chewie.jpg

nilbog21

Banned
my first pet dog, Frank, probably the smartest creature i've ever encountered
lu3gb.jpg

qJ831.jpg

I have a question about dog food. I like to feed my dog Blue buffalo or Wellness, but it's so expensive (i'm still a student) that I want to cut it 50/50 with a cheaper/less healthy brand. However, I don't want to mix it with complete shit, just a decent and more affordable brand. What brand should I go with? Iams or something? :\

And yeah to the guy quoted -- Boston Terriers don't have their tails docked, they're naturally short and stubbie (or, well, genetically short.. nothing really natural about these silly little guys). Bostons with long tails are probably mixes. Little Duncan the Dog has a short stubby tail.

DonMigs85

The Albatross said:
And yeah to the guy quoted -- Boston Terriers don't have their tails docked, they're naturally short and stubbie (or, well, genetically short.. nothing really natural about these silly little guys). Bostons with long tails are probably mixes. Little Duncan the Dog has a short stubby tail.
Same goes for the Pembroke corgis and Jack Russels, I think.

Samus4145

I want to get a siberian husky, and my wife will let me as soon as we buy a house and have a kid. Priorities and all that

Dog-gaffe.. totally stressed out. As you can se eI have the adorable little Boston Terrier puppy from a few posts up. Just got him on Friday.

So, my little pup has not been sleeping very well. Being up a lot at night and barking. I am crate training him. On night 1, he barked a bit, probably say for like accumulated 2 hours or so, over the night. On night 2, he did it again and one of my roommates couldn't take it, so he got up and socialized with the dog... I didn't want him to do it, but he did, whatever. He was pissed that he didn't get any sleep (my roommate).

So night 3, I move the crate into my bedroom and like the other nights, Duncan falls asleep in the crate on his own. Rather than shut the door, though, I let it stay open but close the front with a blanket. This seemed okay, but I woke up at about 5am to see Duncan defecating on my floor... a nasty one, probably a stress poop because I am pretty good about taking him out and he's been good about pooping outside (has pee accidents, but not USUALLY poop accidents).

So, I am now getting weary because, as you cna tell, I'm not sleeping and all.. so we had a long, busy day today... very activity filled and he was really well behaved.

So I get him home and go to do crate training in my bedroom some more. He goes into his crate on his own and is doing fine. Again I leave it open. Duncan, again, poops in the same spot that he did the night before... NOw, I cleaned it, obviously, and sprayed with some shampoo to try to eliminate the odor as best I could... But.. yeah that's a problem. Cleaned it again, etc.

So, I take him out again and then get him tuckered out, we go back to bed. I put him in his crate and shut the door this time. Naturally, about an hour later, he wakes and starts making lots of noise... but.. whatever, it's normal. He quiets down. ABout 45 minutes later he wakes again and noisy.... and I get the smell. So, after I realize the smell is not from his previous accident... I check him out and he's defecated in his crate all over his toys, blankets, and him.

So...

I gave him a bath, washed his stuff as well as I could and put it into the wash.

And now the dog and I are on the couch. It's 3am, I'm on the internet, and he's asleep on my belly. Cute? yes. But this will not do. I know he's just a puppy, barely over 8 weeks, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to coddle him and give him really bad habits, but at the same time, I don't want him getting stressed at night and pooping.

He is definitely "empty" when we go to bed. When he poops outside it's after a long time out there at night and they're tiny little turds. but... in my room... he's letting loose.

I'm just so stressed, sad, and frustrated.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Metroid Killer said:
Anyway here are some recent photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/shikko10_1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/shikko10_2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/shikko10_3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/shikko10_4.jpg

What kind of dog is that?

First time pet owner and I'm thinking of getting an American Cocker Spaniel. It'll be my dog. I currently live with my parents but will be moving out at the end of the year. I want a medium sized dog since I'll likely be living in an apartment and won't have a back yard. Good idea or bad idea? I'm assuming that if I'm specifying a breed, I'll have to go to a breeder? I honestly don't know where to start or how to figure out what type of dog is right for me. I'm already familiar with the temperament of an ACS and it fits the size requirement, but that's about as much as I know really.

Any help or advice appreciated.

B!TCH said:

First time pet owner and I'm thinking of getting an American Cocker Spaniel. It'll be my dog. I currently live with my parents but will be moving out at the end of the year. I want a medium sized dog since I'll likely be living in an apartment and won't have a back yard. Good idea or bad idea? I'm assuming that if I'm specifying a breed, I'll have to go to a breeder? I honestly don't know where to start or how to figure out what type of dog is right for me. I'm already familiar with the temperament of an ACS and it fits the size requirement, but that's about as much as I know really.

Personally, I'd suggest waiting some months before getting "your" dog after moving out. Dogs are great, wonderful, but this little guy has really tested me at night and I just wasn't expecting it as much. With my dogs that we got when I lived at home, it never seemed like much of an issue... Sure, they'd bark, keep you awake, cry at night, but they never seemed like "omg this dog is controlling my life." Now that I have my *own* dog, it definitely feels like this guy is controlling my life, and I'm glad that I Waited 5-ish years since moving out to get a dog. If I had gotten one three or four years ago, just after moving out, I'm not sure that I could have done it.

I'd say, live out of your folks for at least a year before considering because.. it's a rude awakening. This is my third sleepless night.

For where to look, if you don't want to rescue, look for a breeder. Do a google search around you and see what turns up. If you know other Cocker SPaniel owners, ask them if they have breeders and get in contact. I found my breeder on the recommendation of a friend's breeder. Otherwise, if you want to rescue, check sites like PuppyFinder, which is great at listing out rescuable dogs. You can still get pure breeds if that's the case too.

*edit*

So, dog-gaf, after my last frustrated long post... I've taken a breath, done some research, and I'm okay. Puppy's pooping... okay, it's normal. Puppy's shitting up crates? again, normal. Having puppies in your bedroom, NOT a big deal. I was really upset. But I feel better now. HAving this little lunk of dog sleeping on my stomach on the couch, at 4am, snoring away helps too because he's just so cute :) I also took tomorrow off from work so I feel better. Still, going on very little sleep over three nights. Oh puppy gaf.

B!TCH said:

My dog which you quoted is an Icelandic Sheepdog. Middle-sized dog, good with kids and all kinds of dogs, prone to bark and generally more clingy than most other dogs.

Of course you can have a dog in an apartment, but those first couple of weeks which are already tough as hell(read The Albatross' posts) will be that much harder and longer. You'll get a lot more accidents inside, because you just can't predict when the dog decides to hand you his little presents. It'll also make the process of making your puppy house-clean take a little longer. Not saying you shouldn't get a dog because of this, just be extra prepared for some extra shitty weeks.

I think it's a good starting point to focus on an ACS if that's what you are familiar with. Write a list of what you like about the the ACS and what you don't like about it. See if you can find a book at your library on dog breeds (otherwise I'm sure are a ton of websites for that), see how they describe the ACS and then compared that the other dogs in the book.

Depending on whatever breed you end up deciding, I'm sure it will be possible to find it in a shelter if it's a fairly popular breed.

The Albatross said:
My little shit of terror
I honestly can't remember the first 2 weeks when we got out puppy, it's all one big haze to me. The culmination of finally getting a dog after years of planning and then BOOM! Shit, piss and no sleep. When I look at the photos from when we got our dog I just can't remember it at all. Bad memory of repressed memory? You decide :p

But yeah puppys shit at lot, and as you said this reality hits you much harder when you actually got full responsibility unlike the times you lived with your parents and you didn't have to clean up the diarrhea spread shit that was shat all over our staircase at 3 am ;_;

How many times do you take him out at night? I remember hearing that a general rule is every 2nd hour, some dogs it's every 3rd, some it's every hour. Some get to hold their shit in much faster than others etc. From the sounds of your story (and from the fact that he has already shat the same place several times) you will probably need to take him out really really frequently until you perfectly understand his tummy rythem. Rule #1 of shit n' puppies: A puppy is never empty!

So, dog-gaf, after my last frustrated long post... I've taken a breath, done some research, and I'm okay. Puppy's pooping... okay, it's normal. Puppy's shitting up crates? again, normal. Having puppies in your bedroom, NOT a big deal. I was really upset. But I feel better now. HAving this little lunk of dog sleeping on my stomach on the couch, at 4am, snoring away helps too because he's just so cute :) I also took tomorrow off from work so I feel better. Still, going on very little sleep over three nights. Oh puppy gaf.
Yes it's not a sin to let your puppy sleep in your bedroom for the first week or so. You just removed it from it's pack and it is more a less torture to isolate it so young. What me and my GF was to sleep on a matress and couch in our living room for the first week then we moved upstairs(where are bedroom is and a room next to that where we wanted Shikko to sleep). Gradually moving out of his room into our bedroom (sleeping in his room, sleeping in our bedroom with open door, sleeping in our bedroom with closed door).

It's all about gradually yaddayadda. Keep up the work, everything will be fine sooner than you realize.

Anyway you are already going to leave him alone because of work? How many days have you had him?

joelseph said:
dachsy![img][/QUOTE]I think I grow more and more fond of the chocolate color variant of breeds where it exists. It's probably the soft look that I find attractive.

[IMG]http://static.ebayclassifieds.com/static/1108241551/img/category_info//pets/dogs-puppies/chocolate-labrador-retriever.jpg

nilbog21 said:
lu3gb.jpg

What type of dog is this? Don't know shit about dogs. Been wanting to get one for months now, just don't know where to start. I'll probably wait until next summer at this point, don't want to get one right before winter when we'd be stuck inside for the first months.

I want something medium size. No little rats or giant monsters. Something known to be good with kids (don't have any, but have nieces and nephews around constantly). Also, I have one cat. I figure that won't be a huge issue since I want to get a puppy (or close to) so it'll grow up with the cat around and the cat is great around everything on earth. Want something newbie friendly (easier to train). I have way more free time then most so I'll be able to really train them. Would also prefer something with a thinner coat. No big bushy guys.

So. What do you suggest Gaf?

nilbog21 said:

I have a question about dog food. I like to feed my dog Blue buffalo or Wellness, but it's so expensive (i'm still a student) that I want to cut it 50/50 with a cheaper/less healthy brand. However, I don't want to mix it with complete shit, just a decent and more affordable brand. What brand should I go with? Iams or something? :\

About mixing foods, if the dog is old enough you can just try to find any brand that he likes, like Eukenuba, Iams, or the high quality Purina brand. Additionally, you could give him the blue buffalo and then also mix in bland dog food like boiled natural chicken breast and boiled rice. Right now, I've got my pup on bland diet because he's had diarrhea, but the guy loves it.

joelseph

Make a large pot of rice at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge. Then when you mixing your half-and-half warm up a cup of it with some water to soften it back up, add chicken or hotdog if you desire, and then mix in the kibble. Cheap alternative to dog food.

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
What type of dog is this? Don't know shit about dogs. Been wanting to get one for months now, just don't know where to start. I'll probably wait until next summer at this point, don't want to get one right before winter when we'd be stuck inside for the first months.

I want something medium size. No little rats or giant monsters. Something known to be good with kids (don't have any, but have nieces and nephews around constantly). Also, I have one cat. I figure that won't be a huge issue since I want to get a puppy (or close to) so it'll grow up with the cat around and the cat is great around everything on earth. Want something newbie friendly (easier to train). I have way more free time then most so I'll be able to really train them. Would also prefer something with a thinner coat. No big bushy guys.

So. What do you suggest Gaf?

Springer Spaniels are great dogs, very loyal, great with kids, easy to train and love to please. They have longer coats by breeding/showing standards but don't shed very much and you can always keep the coat trim and the dog will like it just as much. My ex-girlfriend's family had a springer spaniel who was an absolute sweet heart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Springer_Spaniel

Spot_Fetcher.jpg

Short haired Springer Spaniel

Long haired:
English_Springer_Spaniel.jpg

AND LOOK AT THAT FACE:
EnglishSpringerSpanielWinston2MonthsPuppy2.jpg

Metroid Killer said:
Yes it's not a sin to let your puppy sleep in your bedroom for the first week or so. You just removed it from it's pack and it is more a less torture to isolate it so young. What me and my GF was to sleep on a matress and couch in our living room for the first week then we moved upstairs(where are bedroom is and a room next to that where we wanted Shikko to sleep). Gradually moving out of his room into our bedroom (sleeping in his room, sleeping in our bedroom with open door, sleeping in our bedroom with closed door).

It's all about gradually yaddayadda. Keep up the work, everything will be fine sooner than you realize.

Anyway you are already going to leave him alone because of work? How many days have you had him?

I actually have a roommate who's gone back to school and he's at home throughout most of the day, and I also work about... 3 minutes from home, so I'm home at lunch and can run home in a pinch if necessary, so the most the dog is alone for is maybe an hour or two. I got the puppy last Friday, so it's almost been a week.

Little update:

This week has been stressful but it's gotten much better since early Tuesday morning. Duncan does not have many accidents in the house, he's very good, although he did get quite a bout of diarrhea that I think is just beginning to subside (I've had him on bland diet since Tuesday night, vets instructions). He's been very good about sleeping at night since I've moved him into my bedroom next to the bed, in his own place, I still usually wake up to take him out twice during the night... But he's very young, he won't be 8 weeks old until this Sunday. The breeder gave him to me too young I realized when she sent me his papers and silly MS Publisher birth certificate... I got him three days before he turned seven weeks which is very young for a dog... MA law, I believe, is 8 weeks.

But he's really maturing IMO. He's easy about being left alone. In the morning I leave for work before my roommates do and so I have him in a little place in the front of the house, not a crate, but a small area in my front hall, gated, and I usually sit there for a minute as he calms down from eating breakfast and going outside, and I chill out with him until he's mostly rested, then I get up and go to work... and he usually stays alone until 10:30 or so when my other roommate gets up and plays with him for a bit, taking him out for a short walk (he's pretty much too young to really go for a walk).

So far the last few nights have been good. I haven't had an undisturbed night -- and I won't for some time -- but it hasn't been nearly as hard as it was.

Dirtsaw

iceDragon7 said:
Find your local lab rescue. There are many quality dogs available due to all the foreclosures in California. I was shocked last year when I went looking. Healthy and trained 1-2 year old purebreds. They will want a "donation" but they will be current on shots and chipped. The Central Valley is loaded with dogs.

I didn't notice any Tibetan Terrier in the topic, so here's mine. She's an almost 2 year old TT called Enya - she's part European TT and part native TT (sent to Eu from Tibet). She doesn't have as much fur as the usual TT's (which i'm glad, cause she is bathed and groomed in less than an hour), but she has an awesome personality, is totally cute and wonderful.

Her first week at her new home.

Me and her doing some basic RO training.

Picked up my 2nd dog 3 weeks ago. Had a deposit on the litter for over a year. Eilah is a German Shorthaired Pointer, and she is an absolute sweetheart.

17.jpg

16.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Top Bottom