• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

slider said:
Based on your post above I'd really recommend a Weimaraner. But... they can be stubborn so training may cause you issues if you don't have a lot of experience with dogs. They're absolutely great family pets IMO. Have a look at the Wiki page and see what you think. I'd generally agree with most of the info on that page but mine has had no issues at all with kids. In fact he loves being with children. I'm convinced their shorter heights makes him more comfortable; like he's in a pack or something.

They do need a lot of exercise though. Here's a of pic of mine. I really should take more of him.
Weims can be a lot of work at times. You've been warned.

Since you uploaded a new picture of yours, here's new pictures of 1 of mine :)
PS He's very tall.
P1020445-1.jpg

P1020452-1.jpg

P1020442-1.jpg

slider

Duracelllll said:

Yes they can! The little bastards.

Mine is quite small compared to the other local Weims I see. And he doesn't eat if I'm away and gets skinny very quickly (which worries me). But I have to say the upsides outweigh the downsides. I think I've been lucky with mine. Even though he has a lot of spirit he hasn't been as bad as some of the stories I've heard (the last one I knew ripped a door frame out cos he'd been left alone regularly).

Hi-5 btw, great looking dog you've got.

Marv_79 said:
Hawwo I’m Lady Squashington.
photomg.png
What kind of dog is that?

Do any of you guys have tips about cutting a dog's nails? My girl HATES it, but she tolerates it. She has thick black claws so it's a pain in the ass. I'm always worried I'm going to hit her quick.

What about keeping their teeth clean?

joelseph

Speaking of Weims, I ask for anyone that is feeling gracious today to click through http://tinyurl.com/6bdnmwm  and vote for my friends Weim "Milly". It is the Purina Pro Plan Rally to Rescue, and if Milly wins Milly and the rest of the rescued Weims at Great Lakes Weimaraner Rescue will receive a years supply of Purina dog food. It is only one click and just takes a second, thanks for your time.

RoninChaos said:

Do any of you guys have tips about cutting a dog's nails? My girl HATES it, but she tolerates it. She has thick black claws so it's a pain in the ass. I'm always worried I'm going to hit her quick.

I would say just play with her teeth and nails and give her treats, do this for a while. Then she will like it when you touch those areas, then after you brush her teeth, get some dental treats to give her (still a treat but it will be ok post teeth brushing). Same thing for the nails, just give her treats and play with her feet alot (sounds weird) and then reward her after cutting her nails. Do it often (the nail cutting) without taking much off, but reward her heavily. After a while she will just get used to it.

Teeth brushing and nail cutting is something that should be conditioned as a pup, when they are small. I play with my Akita's paws and toes and poke in and around his mouth every day. Its handy too when you need to take something out of their mouth if they chew something they shouldnt, as they are already used to it.

Nestle ad first to pitch to canine customers

110930-dog-commercial-440p.grid-6x2.jpg

Nestle, one of the world's biggest makers of pet food, said on Friday it had launched the first television commercial designed especially for dogs, using a high-frequency tone to grab their attention.

"Dogs' hearing is twice as sharp as humans. They can pick up frequencies which are beyond our range and they are better at differentiating sounds," said Georg Sanders, a nutrition expert at Nestle Purina PetCare in Germany.

Nestle asked experts in pet behavior in the United States to research what would appeal to dogs and used the results to create the 23-second commercial for its Beneful dog food brand.

The ad, to be screened on Austrian television this week, features a tone similar to a dog whistle, which humans can barely hear, as well as an audible "squeak" like the sound dogs' toys make and a high-pitched "ping."

"So delicious, so healthy, so happy," ends the commercial in German, which features a dog pricking up his ears.

"The television commercial aims to reach both the pet and the owner, supporting the special one-to-one relationship between them," said Xavier Perez, Brand Manager of Beneful for Europe.

Nestle said in a statement the commercial follows an award-winning campaign in Germany that featured "sniffable" posters to attract dogs.

Nestle's Petcare division reported first-half sales of 4.8 billion Swiss francs ($5.4 billion), accounting for almost 12 percent of revenue at the world's biggest food group. It competes with Mars, maker of the Pedigree dog food brand.

The funny thing is, when I took Bear to training classes at Petsmart, they used Beneful as an example of a poor quality dog food to avoid.

DonMigs85

Lucky Forward said:
Mine eats Blue Buffalo.
I've heard about them. It's a super-premium brand like Hundchen Flocken and Canidae right? Some of them even contain real bison and venison!

Unfortunately, I have to get rid of my dog, but I don't want to take him to the pound or put him on craigslist where a random person might trick me into thinking they'd be good owners. Any recommendations where I can get him a good home? I've asked people I know if they want him, but no such luck.

My girl and I are debating which dog is a better "chick magnet" as a pup. She seems to think French Bulldog and I counter with a Shiba Inu. GAF help end this debate once and for all!

HylianTom

Banned
Outdoor Miner said:
My girl and I are debating which dog is a better "chick magnet" as a pup. She seems to think French Bulldog and I counter with a Shiba Inu. GAF help end this debate once and for all!

I'd go with the Shiba Inu, hands-down.

I used to take Jake (an akita.. similar breed) to the park all the time, and he HOLY CRAP did he ever attract women! They'd see him and you could visibly see their walk paths veer a bit in our direction.. it was incredible. And then, once they arrived, the hugging and petting and cooing was ridiculous. He ate it up.. he loves women, and really should've been owned by a pair of lesbians.

When we'd bring him to my parents' house in New Orleans for puppysitting, my Dad would take him to the park all the time, knowing damn well that younger women would migrate over to him and the friggin' dog. Our nicknames for him in the past have been "The Ladykiller" and "Handsome Devil."

"Hey Tommy.. when ya bringin' tha Ladykiller home again?"

Separate note: Jake eats Blue Senior formula. Expensive, but we've had several vets highly recommend it. He's past his 14th birthday (pretty ancient for his breed), and he's still doing a mile a day with us.

Outdoor Miner said:

My vote is for Shiba. When I take Shepard out with me I'll get stopped at least twice an hour by people asking what breed she is or just wanting to pet her. And for every person that stops me, I'll hear another three say "It's like a little fox!" as they walk by. Girls love her. It's a double-edged sword though, because like most of her breed she is so reserved around other people that when they bend down to pet her she just scoots behind me and gives them sad eyes. Kind of a moment killer if you were trying to pick up chicks.

With Shiba's, it's like every interaction seems designed to make you look like a bad dog owner. When they get really excited and want to play with another dog they make this...face, with their teeth showing, and it looks kind of aggressive even though your Shiba may have no inclination to bite and just wants to run around the other dog in circles for ten minutes. Other dog owners that don't know what's up might take it the wrong way (understandable), and no amount "Oh no man, it's cool, that's just how she plays" will fix it (also understandable).

On dog food: Shep gets Orijen, which is expensive as all hell but worth it.

Haha yeh my Akita Oscar is something special like that. Its a breed of dog that people dont see very often, and if I take him to the park or for a walk, I have people stopping to talk to me about him, I actually had some kid come up and ask for a photo with him lol.

Mileena

Banned
My new puppy, got him a little over a month ago but I was banned.

forXv.jpg

shit cell phone quality but he's awesome regardless

pseudocaesar said:
Haha yeh my Akita Oscar is something special like that. Its a breed of dog that people dont see very often, and if I take him to the park or for a walk, I have people stopping to talk to me about him, I actually had some kid come up and ask for a photo with him lol.

I think that's the biggest part of it. So few people know about Shiba's and Akita's that, as an owner, yours is probably going to be the first they've seen. And they're absurdly cute dogs. I'm in San Diego, one of the most dog friendly cities in the country, where it seems like everyone everywhere has a dog with them. Stores, parks, beaches, restaurants, concerts: everywhere. Even still, almost noone I've run into has seen a Shiba. We drop in Muttropolis to pick up Shep's food, treats, and toys every once in a while and she's one of only three Shiba's that come to the store. Owning one is like an instant conversation piece.

It gets old, though. Really old. Especially the people that seriously ask if you have a fox on a leash.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
:'( think its time to de-sex my Nugget......... get his nuggets out. Too big for his body and are causing a bit of chaffing. He was freaking the fuck out yesterday after he licked them for a bit and must have hurt himself, shaking like crazy and running round trying to see what was hurting him.

Poor fella.

I think I'm going to have to put my dog to sleep.She can't walk right and the vet says she can't feel her back legs.I've had her for 11 years and its going to be tough.

corkscrewblow said:
My new puppy, got him a little over a month ago but I was banned.

forXv.jpg

shit cell phone quality but he's awesome regardless

Boston Terrier, French Bulldog?

Seriously if a Boston, BostonTerrierGaf is taking over.

RoninChaos said:

My little guy loves getting his teeth brushed... basically just stick a dog toothbrush in his mouth with the dog paste, it's like playing with a nylabone that has gooey stuff on it, but clipping dogs nails is difficult. If your dog is fully grown this won't do you any good, but the best advice is to play with their paws a lot when they're puppies so that they get used to having their paws handled. Still, I bring my dog to a groomer for nail clippings... just not something I want to risk with the dog. But I have a puppy so his nails aren't as developed.

Duracelllll said:

Since you uploaded a new picture of yours, here's new pictures of 1 of mine :)
PS He's very tall.

Hahaha, whenever I see a Weimaraner all I can think of...

Hamilton-and-Meg-1024x576.jpg

So I had to put my dog to sleep.It was really hard.I had her since she was 4 weeks old and she lived 11 years.I didn't want to be in there when they did it,I don't think I could have handled that.

Muddimar

My fiance and I recently got a beagle/bassit, his name is Milo. The cat in the picture is was a little kitten stray that we took in, his name is Bandito. They actually get along with one another haha.

milocamo.jpg

miloandbandito.jpg

Milo2.jpg

Milo.jpg

NH Apache

Banned
Alligatorjandro said:
So I had to put my dog to sleep.It was really hard.I had her since she was 4 weeks old and she lived 11 years.I didn't want to be in there when they did it,I don't think I could have handled that.

Sorry to hear that, man. She is in a better place.

Alligatorjandro said:

Really sorry to hear that. Always tough, but the little pooch is at peace.

RoninChaos said:
I feed my girl benefuls. Should I be feeding something else? She seems to love it. Or is it petsmart shitting on a product so they can sell a more expensive version?

Well, I'm not trying to change your mind, and I've known people whose dogs have lived long lives on bargain supermarket food, but I will say that the reviews of Beneful seem to be consistently bad:

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/beneful/

Beneful Dog Food received the lowest rating from us because the ingredients are low quality and their formula consist of a lot of fillers. No matter how many happy healthy dogs they show us for their products, Beneful food is not good for dogs. This is another dog food that is owned by Purina Pet Foods which is owned by Nestle.

For most dry formulas, the first ingredient is ground yellow corn, and the second ingredient is a by-product meal. Wheat flour and corn gluten meal are also contained in many Beneful formulas, along with sugar, soy flour and animal digest. Beneful dog food formulas also contain artificial colors, which makes individual pieces of kibble have different colors. There is not a dog in the world that cares about the colors of their kibble. We do not recommend this food for any dog.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/

What an awful collection of agricultural waste and non-nutritious chemicals. Beneful Dog Food has the rather dubious distinction of being one of the lowest quality dog foods we’ve yet reviewed.

Yet to be fair, the package and the website are truly exceptional. Beautiful, actually. A marvel of modern marketing.

You know, it’s a real shame Beneful’s quality never approaches the quality of the bag it comes in.

Bottom line?

Beneful Dog Food is primarily a grain-based kibble using a limited amount of chicken by-products meal as its main source of animal protein… thus earning the brand an unfavorable one star.

Also see Amazon customer reviews, 1 out of 5 stars:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006344NK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My 11 year old toy Poodle (October 10 2000) died today. He was blind from one eye, toothless basically and getting weak, and had a strange cough. The cough was being worked on and we were giving him canned food (so it was easier to chew) for a long time. His death caught me unprepared as no one expected him to die. He showed no signs of being weak and in fact last night I played with him a fair bit.

Found him dead this morning when I woke up. Man that wrecked me for well over 10 minutes but I just had to take a test and work today so I couldn't bury him. My father will do that. Has me completely depressed, even though I try to hide it and be stoic.

Will miss my dog. :'(

My 3 year old Corgi, Pepsi, watching Stargate SG1 with me:

197300_545672822273_214202167_31932888_1725000_n.jpg

Her getting completely dumbfounded by the big Chicago snow storm last year:
167561_542806276853_214202167_31889638_1790031_n.jpg

She is kinda chunky, so I put her on a diet and take her for frequent walks now so she stays healthy and loses some weight.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Outdoor Miner said:

Has she ever been around a French Bulldog? Their constant wheezing would drive most chicks away me thinks. I'm going with the Shiba.

Lucky Forward said:
Well, I'm not trying to change your mind, and I've known people whose dogs have lived long lives on bargain supermarket food, but I will say that the reviews of Beneful seem to be consistently bad:

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/beneful/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/

Also see Amazon customer reviews, 1 out of 5 stars:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006344NK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any suggestions on a substitute? My dog is a German Pinsher and weights about 40 pounds. She's grown.

Alligatorjandro said:
I'm really sorry to hear that. Seriously.

I"ve thought about what I'll do when the day comes for my girl. Despite how painful it will be when I have to put my girl down, I'm going to be in the room. I want the last thing she sees to be me. I feel I owe it to her for bringing so much joy to my life.

Not saying anything against your choice, so please don't misunderstand.

Fuck... thinking about this is fuckin' me up right now.

Relix said:
My 11 year old toy Poodle (October 10 2000) died today. He was blind from one eye, toothless basically and getting weak, and had a strange cough. The cough was being worked on and we were giving him canned food (so it was easier to chew) for a long time. His death caught me unprepared as no one expected him to die. He showed no signs of being weak and in fact last night I played with him a fair bit.

Found him dead this morning when I woke up. Man that wrecked me for well over 10 minutes but I just had to take a test and work today so I couldn't bury him. My father will do that. Has me completely depressed, even though I try to hide it and be stoic.

Will miss my dog. :'(
I'm so sorry. :( He sounds like he was a great dog.

acksman

RoninChaos said:
Any suggestions on a substitute? My dog is a German Pinsher and weights about 40 pounds. She's grown.

Here is a few websites to get you started. We use to feed our dogs pretty crap food. After a month on a better quality food their health was much better energy wise and less poop, which was a indicator of how much filler those other foods had. Grain Free if you dogs stomach can handle it.

Review Sites:

http://www.petfoodratings.net/dogtable.html

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Currently my rotation is this:

Wellness Core Ocean - http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/categories.aspx?pet=dog&cat=2
Fromms - http://www.frommfamily.com/
Horizon - http://www.horizonpetfood.com/ (Out of Canada and fairly new they only source product within a certain area for quality control)

Used to feed them Innova, but PnG has bought the company and a bit worried on quality now.

RoninChaos said:

What I did was check out the reviews at sites like acksman posted and then I came up with a "Top 5" list that I took to my local Petsmart. Of the five on my list Petsmart carried Blue Buffalo, so that became my choice. Since then I've heard nothing but good things about BB which reinforced my decision.

The breeder had my pooch on purina 1 puppy, so I've stuck to that for the formative months, but I'm probably going to switch to one of them organic pricey ones. My local pet store gave me like 20 sample bags, which is great, so I'll see what he likes in 6 months when his little puppy belly is strong enough to take some change.

Top Bottom