• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Ultima_5

teruterubozu said:
I don't get people who carry around treats for their dog. I give my dog treats but not while walking, hiking or at the dog park. Is it a way to have your dog always at your side?

My parents used to do it on walks to keep our terrier from acting aggressive to other dogs. Redirect his attention.

^This. Best tool for enforcing proper behaviour.

Now as Shikko is only 1 year. I doubt I will using anywhere near the amount of treats(which isn't that much) if any at all as he gets older. But so far my experience has been, that using treats as positive reinforcement is the best way reward Shikko. Wether I want him to sit down before crossing a road, or to redirect his attention when running into cats/squirrels, etc., even if he does something he's not allowed to, when I say NO, he knows that it's(well was) followed up by a treat. Of course as he gets better and used to all those kind of situations we have cut down on giving him treats, but today for example we traveled around 10 mins by subway and it was crucial for such a stressful situation to have treats ready at any moment.

Edit: Updated Shikko's 1 year image

shikko1year_1.png

rocksteady1983 said:
Few more of layla bug.

SHe's a bug, Boston Terrier / Pug mix? Or, just saying "Layla Bug" as if it's her full name? Love her already. I'm glad I got a Boston as my first dog, but I miss the simple precociousness of pugs as well.

I gvie duncan treats when we get inside, but when I take him for a long walk, I bring treats with me... just a small baggie of his dog food, mostly because he's only 4 months old, and we haven't gone on many long walks, so I like to reinforce the right behavior. Plus he gets stubborn sometimes on a longer walk and decides he doesn't want to go anywhere... and so I have to coax him along.

Just moved in with my brother, and he has a siberian husky mix named Shadow. Hes a pretty chill dog, very happy and always licking lol. Hes about 3 years old, and 3 or so months ago he got loose, and ended up jumping over the rail on a bridge, fell 80 feet and broke his right rear leg. My brother couldn't afford surgery for his leg, but was able to raise money for it through facebook. All seemed well, he was using the repaired leg. But soon, an infection broke out, so the leg ended up being amputated after all that money got raised. Pretty shitty, but doesn't seem to bother shadow none, he hauls ass even with 3 legs. We all call him the tripod now haha
DIxls.jpg

Y56gt.jpg

Y5g1h.jpg

Ettie

Question for owners with in-house heavy shedders. How do you keep your house clean and not smelling like dog?

I'd love to get a husky or german shepard, but we run a tight, clean ship and the shedding seems to be something you just have to deal with. Any clean freaks got inside knowledge?

Takuhi

Ettie said:
Question for owners with in-house heavy shedders. How do you keep your house clean and not smelling like dog?

I'd love to get a husky or german shepard, but we run a tight, clean ship and the shedding seems to be something you just have to deal with. Any clean freaks got inside knowledge?

The only trick I can think of is to groom your dog every day (or however often you need to) with one of those undercoat brushes so he isn't carrying around a bunch of dead fur to shed. Probably best to do it after a walk so he can't bring in the bajillion stickers, seed pods, pine needles, and whatever the fuck else will be clinging to his coat.

When we miss a couple of days with this beast, we're swimming in fur:

36971685514837724271321076537WAj9WTAQAZsNot6rpWnL.JPG

Rebiak said:
We have a 100% Lamleh line Tibetan, which seems to be a big deal according to some people.
Ours is pretty furry, which makes it a nicer looking dog in my opinion, but it's a bitch to maintain. When it comes to character, she can be pretty distant and headstrong, definitely not a lapdog.

The amount of treats she gets from random people on walks in our neighborhood is baffling. People love this furry critter.

7PBCGl.jpg

I always wonder, why don't people trim the hair around a dog's eyes more? It cannot be easy for the dog to see like that, despite how cute it looks. Forgive me for being rude, but it seems negligent to leave a dog in that state, though admittedly I've never had a long-haired dog.

DonMigs85

Soka said:
I always wonder, why don't people trim the hair around a dog's eyes more? It cannot be easy for the dog to see like that, despite how cute it looks. Forgive me for being rude, but it seems negligent to leave a dog in that state, though admittedly I've never had a long-haired dog.
For Shihtzus they usually make a topknot.

Rebiak

Neo Member
Soka said:

This was after brushing her, I thought it looked cool. She only looks like this after brushing and at night, when she is supposed to be asleep.
During the day she has a clip in her hair keeping her eyes free. It is her natural state though, so it should be okay.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just moved in with my brother, and he has a siberian husky mix named Shadow. Hes a pretty chill dog, very happy and always licking lol. Hes about 3 years old, and 3 or so months ago he got loose, and ended up jumping over the rail on a bridge, fell 80 feet and broke his right rear leg. My brother couldn't afford surgery for his leg, but was able to raise money for it through facebook. All seemed well, he was using the repaired leg. But soon, an infection broke out, so the leg ended up being amputated after all that money got raised. Pretty shitty, but doesn't seem to bother shadow none, he hauls ass even with 3 legs. We all call him the tripod now haha

You can't stop a husky!

jbueno

I posted these pictures already on the pickup thread, but since this thread has been bumped I figured I might post them here. Here´s Rooney my new Boxer pup. He´s 2 months old and full of energy. Love the little fucker.

derpj.jpg

S909l.jpg

jU835.jpg

^Dawwww. With Shikko being over 1 year now, I just melt everytime we run into a brand new puppy.

Here are some pictures of Shikko getting(working for) his breakfast. Every morning as we walk around this small nearby lake, I(we) spread out his food on the trees. His balancing skills have become really great and he clearly enjoys searching for his food this way.

shikkotree.jpg

shikkotree2.jpg

shikkotree3.jpg

Ryck

Some pics I snapped today of my Pomimo Kornelius. I just recently found out that they have big fluffy tails to keep their nose warm while sleeping. Seems like common sense but I guess it never occurred to me.

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
IMG_0206.JPG

My dog Carmine. Adopted him almost 2 years ago now, so he's almost 3. Great dog. They say lab / shepherd, but I don't know as he's only ~50 pounds.

HylianTom

Banned

We have an akita who sheds like crazy. But we also have a Neato robot vacuum that runs through the house at least twice a day. Jake also gets a bath at least every other weekend; we use either baby shampoo or Mr Bubble, as both of them smell nice and are gentle on his skin. And once a month, the small amount of carpet/rug space in our place gets shampooed.

Update: Yes.. Jake is still alive and kicking! He turned 14 in September, survived the move back to his hometown, still eats better than most people on the planet, still walks (slowly) a mile or two a day, and still insists on watching TV with us in bed. Two weeks ago, he thought it would be funny to jump into our apartment complex's water feature.. too bad it was 50 degrees outside!

I'm shocked that he's made it this long. Such a tough old man, and still whip-smart. This is going to be a very thankful Thanksiving.

vSZhK.jpg

My family's Cocker Spaniel. We had to put the poor guy down last Friday. It was very sudden, he was 9 year old. I guess that's also an advantage, he wasn't sick for very long. Still, writing about it still makes me quite sad.

Put down our family dog Peach at the end of the summer after 14 years. I am trying to find a new dog now but it is so hard to find a suitable replacement for my best friend :(

101_3205.jpg

Boston University and I would like a word with you.

220px-BostonTerrier001.JPG

"Watchu talkin' 'bout Mr. Willis?"

Agreed.

--

boKLB.jpg

21NOg.jpg

X4qmc.jpg

^ This is what I come home to at lunch and at the end of the day. Duncan the dog chilling out on the top of the couch waiting for me, then he leaps off and sprints to the door.

Silly dog.

DarkKyo

94R59.jpg

My now 1 year old Shiba Inu, Raiden...
This was after we got his enlarged hernia removed... he wouldn't stop going at himself so we had to get this.

JL5Gx.jpg

And... his brother Sora.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
I have 4 dogs. A basket hound, 2 chihuahuas, and a pit/lab mix. The pit/lab is really attached to my sister who is about to have a baby, however the dog isn't really comfortable around children. She just gets nervous around them. This makes me nervous, what with a baby coming to the house and everything. Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to socialize her with children?

IrishNinja

ive a 1 year old jack russel/maltese who's mostly clever but can't sort out peeing on a pad. i mostly keep him regulated by only giving him water right before walking him downstairs (living in an apt) but if i slip up, i wish he'd not just piss right next to a pad like that's cool.

if i pick him up and put him on said pad, he just looks confused and tries to hold it in till we walk. the most ive noticed is if i use one of said pads to wipe up his mess, he uses his nose to try to push it into a ball, as if the smell offends him, too. little furry bastard.

any ideas? ive not put any down the last day or two just so i could try to reintroduce him to them, but ive no idea how to encourage him to use them proper.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey does anyone use Dog food sauce to put into their dogs dry food to make it a little more appetizing?

I recently bought some of this, but my dogs hate it
iams-savory-sauce-adult-roasted-beef-11-oz.jpg

Looks like utter shit too.

Would love to hear some suggestions ;[

edit: http://slobbersauce.com/ fuck is this :[

slider

Hey does anyone use Dog food sauce to put into their dogs dry food to make it a little more appetizing?

Would love to hear some suggestions ;[

edit: http://slobbersauce.com/ fuck is this :[

I'm sure someone will tell me it's very bad for my pooch but I very occasionally use gravy. He loves it.

If someone does know it's bad for dogs please do tell me!

ollin

Bought this as well and my dog didn't like it. My dog is a picky eater. So far canned dog food (microwaved a few seconds) and then mixed in with his regular dog food has worked.

nilbog21

Banned
Bought this as well and my dog didn't like it. My dog is a picky eater. So far canned dog food (microwaved a few seconds) and then mixed in with his regular dog food has worked.

Ya that's what I'm doing but I'm trying to save some money because I dish out a lot on high quality dry food

ollin

Ya that's what I'm doing but I'm trying to save some money because I dish out a lot on high quality dry food
I do agree dog food is very expensive. If the dog food is high quality he/she should be eating less compared to cheap dog food.

yuna55

Another (and possibly healthier) option is mixing the dry food with a tablespoon or two of low sodium canned green beans. My dogs also love a bit of cooked rice mixed with their food, which is a godsend if they're sick.

There is a product that is a flavored glucosamine supplement, resembling a thin gravy. I've never personally used it, but a friend uses it for her dogs, one of which has hip problems. Between that and losing weight, the dog stopped limping, and both dogs absolutely love the supplement. It's about $20 for a bottle, which isn't expensive if it can replace a glucosamine supplement they're already taking.

Do any of you have any suggestions for an itching problem? My dog has really short hair, and lately has been chewing at herself and is now missing like 3 tiny patches of hair. We keep her clean regularly, as well as giving her a flea and tick treatment every month. There haven't been any changes in her diet, but she's itching a lot more and her skin under her fur in those areas is dry. So I'm sure it isn't comfortable.

I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Flo

Do any of you have any suggestions for an itching problem? My dog has really short hair, and lately has been chewing at herself and is now missing like 3 tiny patches of hair. We keep her clean regularly, as well as giving her a flea and tick treatment every month. There haven't been any changes in her diet, but she's itching a lot more and her skin under her fur in those areas is dry. So I'm sure it isn't comfortable.

I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions?

She could be allergic to something, I would suggest to take her to a vet. Three small patches isn't a lot, but if she seems uncomfortable.. yeah. Allergies aren't something they're necessarily born with so they could get them later in life. Or it could be something else entirely, or maybe even nothing of course!

Top Bottom