• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Sporran

Heart wrenching stuff and something i struggle to comprehend, so early on in our babies life. We have no kids so Amber fills that gap for us, we treat her like a queen.

My baby, 18 months tomorrow :)

snow.jpg

I have also made a running page of her life, enjoy

http://www.mcsparron.co.uk

HylianTom said:
I am so sorry for your loss, I know your pain. When my dog Harley first had a seizure back in 2009 after he climbed the stairs, I freaked out and was really scared. We took him to the vet and found out he had heart failure. Anyway, he lived until August 10th, 2010 and he passed away, but when I found him he had already been gone for a while and his eyes were stuck open. It was terrible to find him like that. It hurt me so much that he is gone.

but now, all I can do is remember all of the good times I shared with him and that makes me happy that he isn't hurting anymore. We got our dog Shadow in 2009 and sometimes it's funny that Shadow kind of acts like Harley, so sometimes we joke. Harley used to boss Shadow around, we called it "Harley's Bootcamp" lol.

We recently adopted another dog Maya back in December because my grandpa wanted to rescue a shelter dog. She drives Shadow crazy, always biting him and playing, but they both do it back to each other so it's funny.

You will have all of those memories, 14 years worth is a long time, I wish my dogs could have been around that long, I miss them a lot and will never forget them. And you will do the same.

Now I'm not saying you should do this so soon after the loss of your dear friend & child, but if you ever consider getting another dog, please make sure to get one from a shelter. It was so hard for us just to be in the shelter seeing all of those dogs saying "Pick me" but we know that it was at least a good thing that we were saving a dogs life and we love her already so much and glad we did it.

Almond

Some of my dog. She'll be 2 years old in April. Basset Hound/Coonhound/Lab/Husky/Shar Pei mix. (what I was told)

G3GVu.jpg

Go2v4.jpg

dXt3i.jpg

A1LE9.jpg

bgyL3.jpg

Got my pooch fixed today. He's doing alright. I felt so bad for him because he couldn't sit down or lie down, but was so tired he was falling asleep standing up. But finally he gave in and is snoozing.

I love dogs (and cats too!). Working at an Animal Hospital gives me a chance to see different breeds everyday and it is so much fun. Some great pics of some amazing looking mutts in here!

I actually recently lost my dog, Smoke (chow & husky mix), in December. I have been thinking about getting a new dog and have decided to save up for a Doberman Pinscher. Can't wait!

Mumei

I love dogs (and cats too!). Working at an Animal Hospital gives me a chance to see different breeds everyday and it is so much fun. Some great pics of some amazing looking mutts in here!

I actually recently lost my dog, Smoke (chow & husky mix), in December. I have been thinking about getting a new dog and have decided to save up for a Doberman Pinscher. Can't wait!

Yesss.

I worked at veterinary clinic when I was in high school and I loved it for that.

This is Izzy she's 5, I'm not sure what breed she is exactly but she's awesome.

a1nPR.jpg

This is my man Buster, he's a 3 year old Rottweiler Labrodor cross, he's gorgeous and a complete boss.

o93Ao.jpg

Haven't posted in this thread for quite some time. Great pictures as always!

We've now had Shikko for over a year(which means he's 14 months old) and things are going quite well (well mostly :p). 2 or 3 weeks ago he got into 3 fights during 1 week(3 different dogs as well), which was way too much for my liking. 2 of the times it was the other dog which attacked Shikko, and the 3rd time a clearly affected Shikko let it out on an innocent bystander. All 3 times the other dog was a small white male(a bichon frisse, a terrier and a terrier) around a year older than Shikko. And all 3 times the same female lab in heat was the cause of the troubles. Defintely learned my lesson though.

Other than that I just went to the first lesson of an obedience course(far from our first though), and Shikko just fucking excelled. As silly as it may be I was really proud of him today :)

Some pics of him in the snow earlier this month.

shikkosnow1.jpg

shikkosnow2.jpg

shikkosnow3.jpg

shikkosnow4.jpg

RdN

I got a Pekingese. He's lovable, loves to stay together all the time and is very protective of my family and our house (he patrols the gates constantly, lol).

7430_100752426611684_100000307821608_18097_5907517_n.jpg

166439_480394362220_565972220_5581298_8297546_n.jpg

Collete

This is my 5 year old Yorkie/Maltese, T-Rex. (But somehow over the years, we just call him Puppy. Creative, no?)

yeBgl.jpg

9wlTF.jpg

It will take me forever to describe my dog but here goes!

Puppy's a hyper active dog that almost knows no discipline (thanks to my mother who spoils him like crazy). Sometimes he thinks of himself as a human and will ask you to pick him up and carry him around like a toddler. For some unexplainable reason, he refuses to eat anything from a bowl and will only eat food if you hand feed him like a parrot. I have no idea why he does this, but we tried to condition him to eat from a plate but he refuses too, so for five years we have been hand feeding him.

For an unexplainable reason he's scared of any noise produced by a machine.

For instance, if a fire alarm ran out of batteries and starts beeping, for some reason Puppy will run out of the house and hide in the bushes. He will be shaken and traumatized for around 2-3 days. This also includes (but definitely not limited to): vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, TV playing loud noises, blenders, frying pans, cars, and any cleaning on a metallic surface. From comparing to my cousin's dog, she's not scared of anything (but squirrels) but Puppy is nearly the exact opposite of this.

But he has his good moments and is a happy dog. He'll tend to jump up to lick anyone's face that walks into the house. When he was younger he will bite on a person's sock and chase the person around in circles till he gets the sock.

Yeah. He's a handful but an awesome dog.

NH Apache

Banned
This is Izzy she's 5, I'm not sure what breed she is exactly but she's awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/a1nPR.jpg[iMG]

This is my man Buster, he's a 3 year old Rottweiler Labrodor cross, he's gorgeous and a complete boss.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/o93Ao.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Your Izzy looks just like my English Shepherd Ronin.

[Quote] [img]http://www.imgur.com/GlhAb.jpg
4s8zH.jpg

That is the only time that he isn't pacing around the house. We also have a red heeler at the house and they love to herd each other.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Parents have finally bought themselves a new pup, he's a novascotian duck tolling retriever (mouthful) and he's awesome. Very friendly and confident, if a little bitey.

Meet Flynn

ee08b5a7.jpg

Loves his Pringles
b0392028.jpg

Sleeps like a person
be1eccc8.jpg

Holy shit, this is amazing

I want one D:

Yesss.

I worked at veterinary clinic when I was in high school and I loved it for that.

Yeah, being a receptionist at an animal hospital is certainly one of the most fun jobs I have ever had. It has it's downsides (euthanasias) but 90% of the time, it is great fun. I got to see a badass Australian Shepard today who had the most ridiculous light blue eyes. They popped out so much, man he was awesome. Also got to see a pretty sweet Dalmatian, a tiny Toy Poodle, lots of cats and of course the daily Labradors and Chihuahuas.

My favorite dogs that I have seen thus far, are some of the Bernese Mountain Dogs that come in (one is from Austria and he is super awesome!) and there is this Neopolitan Mastiff that comes in weekly for injections that is always so sweet. Her owners had a badass elf hat on her for christmas and always show me pictures of different outfits that she has, so hilarious. I mainly love her so much because she weighs as much as I do! Lol.

Next day at work I get to see one of our Hospital favorites. His name is Mister Big, he is a senior male Yorkie who weighs about 5 pounds. His face is so awesome though, he has like a perma grin all the time and his name fits him so well. Lol.

Awesome to see more pictures though, even though I see animals 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I can't get enough!

Oh man, I have a soft spot for beagles. I had one that lived for 17 years. Now I have a Puggle, but am thinking of getting another Beagle. Buddy looks awesome. Beagles are great friends.

Antagon

I'd love to have a dog, but being a single guy that works 40 hours a week it just wouldn't work. Some awesome dogs in here though.

Zutroy

My dog has a single loose hair on his eye. Should I try and remove it or will he just blink it out himself eventually?

[E] Well he appears to have got it out himself!

Cuteness overload incomming!

We visited the breeder who owns Shikko's father, father's sister, and father's mother. Currently Shikko's grandmother Lippa has a litter of 7 puppies a few days over 6 weeks when we were there.

It was an incredible day. We knew that Shikko was very great with puppies in general from walks, but it was still nice to see how he acted towards puppies this young as well as obeying Lippa's orders (see the picture were Lippa with her eyes tell Shikko 'Don't you dare to jump into the puppy area or else...'). The puppies were cute as hell. Thank god they already have families waiting for them...

The weather was perfect so I snapped some pictures as well a small video clip.

shikkospring1.jpg

shikkospring2.jpg

shikkospring3.jpg

shikkospring4.jpg

shikkospring5.jpg

shikkospring6.jpg

shikkospring7.jpg

Ultima_5

I really love my dog, I dont even remember how he went from this

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/74180_1625774371462_1449614938_1613918_3883935_n.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/73990_1625778091555_1449614938_1613927_7134994_n.jpg[/IM]

To this

[IMG]http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/390003_2690770475699_1449614938_2776711_1761454653_n.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/joe2187/other/022-1.jpg
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/joe2187/other/006.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/joe2187/other/001-1.jpg[IMG]

BESEST DOG IN THE WORLD![/QUOTE]

I've always wanted an old english sheepdog.... How much time does it take to do all the brushing and what not? I'm sure it's a pretty big time commitment... Also what sorts of exercise levels do they need?

joe2187

Banned
I've always wanted an old english sheepdog.... How much time does it take to do all the brushing and what not? I'm sure it's a pretty big time commitment... Also what sorts of exercise levels do they need?

They do have a lot of maintenance, they tend to shed alot in the summer or hotter months. They also shed regardless so you will be finding many hairballs in the corner of your floors. He is an inside dog, and he is spoiled rotten. we've grown used to it.

In terms of brushing, 3 -4 brushings a week for 5-10 mins works fine, he loves getting brushed he turns into a giant ball of mush when we bring out the brush and gets fussy when we stop brushing him, so dont expect a fight when it comes grooming, the love it. As well as bathing, the love the water and are extremely patient with bathing.

their love of water sometimes backfires as when it rains, all he wants to do is jump outside and splash in all the water and try and eat raindrops.

They are very athletic, sometimes he looks like a rabbit with all the jumping he does, also very clumsy. Regular walks are good as well as dog parks, they are very well behaved when it comes to other dogs and will often try and herd them.

Ultima_5

They do have a lot of maintenance, they tend to shed alot in the summer or hotter months. They also shed regardless so you will be finding many hairballs in the corner of your floors. He is an inside dog, and he is spoiled rotten. we've grown used to it.

In terms of brushing, 3 -4 brushings a week for 5-10 mins works fine, he loves getting brushed he turns into a giant ball of mush when we bring out the brush and gets fussy when we stop brushing him, so dont expect a fight when it comes grooming, the love it. As well as bathing, the love the water and are extremely patient with bathing.

their love of water sometimes backfires as when it rains, all he wants to do is jump outside and splash in all the water and try and eat raindrops.

They are very athletic, sometimes he looks like a rabbit with all the jumping he does, also very clumsy. Regular walks are good as well as dog parks, they are very well behaved when it comes to other dogs and will often try and herd them.

Awesome! Thanks for the response goodsir. I'm currently in college, so I'll have to wait another year or so to get a dog... It's probably to much dog to handle =/ maybe later on though.Great looking dog though. Reminded me of this movie i loved as a kid.

220px-Shaggy_d_a_ver2.jpg

What a great thread, some beautiful dogs in here. Here's ours, including one deceased. He was special though :)

Petey-Beagle/Corgi mix. He lived to be 17 1/2. We had to put him down a couple of years ago when his hips finally gave out. Great dog. He's about 16 in this picture.

Gus. Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen or PBGV for short :). 9 years old, actually got hit by a car 6 months ago and broke his pelvis (got a rabbit scent and crashed through the screen door). He's almost completely recovered, he's really doing well.

Alice. French Bulldog, 1 1/2. Great dog, very lovable and she really keeps Gus on his toes.

Ultima_5

Oddly specific question, but does anyone here have a basset hound? I've always wanted one, but idk... I would like my first dog be a jogging partner of mine. Could one jog with me? They have those stubby ass legs. I don't go very far. Probably about a mile.

My Bully, Ruby:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/540829_3279651743998_1048660104_33076736_785704772_n.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

I also like english bulldogs.... Don't they have breathing problems? Same question regarding the jogging =p

stufte

Oddly specific question, but does anyone here have a basset hound? I've always wanted one, but idk... I would like my first dog be a jogging partner of mine. Could one jog with me? They have those stubby ass legs. I don't go very far. Probably about a mile.

I also like english bulldogs.... Don't they have breathing problems? Same question regarding the jogging =p

Bulldogs, at least the one's I've experienced, have GREAT short term stamina. They are all able to be super active, but wear out pretty quickly. They wouldn't make ideal jogging buddies I'm afraid.

Cheska

Bulldogs are great but they need ALOT of work. They're brachycephalic so they have horrible respiratory issues and may even need surgery to help with that. They need to have their folds cleaned daily and kept dry in order to avoid getting yeasty infections. Also, forget about breeding them naturally, they almost always need to be artificially inseminated and have c sections :( Probably not an ideal first dog..

Ultima_5

Bulldogs, at least the one's I've experienced, have GREAT short term stamina. They are all able to be super active, but wear out pretty quickly. They wouldn't make ideal jogging buddies I'm afraid.

Bulldogs are great but they need ALOT of work. They're brachycephalic so they have horrible respiratory issues and may even need surgery to help with that. They need to have their folds cleaned daily and kept dry in order to avoid getting yeasty infections. Also, forget about breeding them naturally, they almost always need to be artificially inseminated and have c sections :( Probably not an ideal first dog..

Damn =/ I guess I'll cross bulldogs off my list... I'll do some more research on basset hounds... I'll probably just end up going to the pound and getting a funny looking mutt

has anyone here done flyball or agility courses with their dogs?

thinking about signing up our australian cattle dog/corgi mix for flyball classes next month.

Top Bottom