• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Ooof, I believe little duncan the boston terrier has an ear infection tonight. We're usually in bed and asleep by 11pm EST, even on a Friday, but now it's 2:30 and I THINK Dunk just tuckered himself out.

To think, this lil guy was so happy 8 hours ago at the park

3272b8508b3411e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

HE always burries his head into the dirt and long grass in my yard, and I do a serviceable job of getting ticks off of him... but I think maybe a bug or something got in his ear. It's definitely more red and swell than usual but the worst is he just doesn't want to leave it alone. I did a little light cleaning with a cotton swap and checked him closely for ticks, bugs, etc, which he checked out. After about 2 hours I think I've resonably got him asleep...... I hope.

But here is another

bfe796528b3311e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

sca2511

6384451829_efc61757dc_z.jpg

my shiba on the way to the beach. it was her birthday. she turned 1.

In a VW Golf/GTI? Very familiar interior. We can't possibly do that with our Shiba, he'd run/jump out at any interesting thing (ie. squirrels or other dogs). We have to put his leash on the e-brake if we roll down the windows (he stays in the back), just in case. He already ran loose the first day we adopted him, ran across a main street, and two other times -- hopefully never again.

Ooof, I believe little duncan the boston terrier has an ear infection tonight. We're usually in bed and asleep by 11pm EST, even on a Friday, but now it's 2:30 and I THINK Dunk just tuckered himself out.

To think, this lil guy was so happy 8 hours ago at the park

http://distilleryimage3.instagram.com/3272b8508b3411e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg[/img

HE always burries his head into the dirt and long grass in my yard, and I do a serviceable job of getting ticks off of him... but I think maybe a bug or something got in his ear. It's definitely more red and swell than usual but the worst is he just doesn't want to leave it alone. I did a little light cleaning with a cotton swap and checked him closely for ticks, bugs, etc, which he checked out. After about 2 hours I think I've resonably got him asleep...... I hope.

But here is another

[img]http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/bfe796528b3311e1989612313815112c_7.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]
Bummer. Hope he feels better this morning. If it's just an ear infection it's not really a big deal, take him to the vet, get some medicine and be done with it. Our PBGV gets them all the time if we're not meticulous about keeping his ears clean. It's the downside of floppy ears. Duncun has nice perky ears though so he should heal up nicely if it is just an infection.

Good luck! Duncan looks great in those pictures!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just saw this thread through the other dog thread, awesome I've always grown up with dogs and decided to finally get my first self owned dog. He's a 8 week old golden retriever, name Nash. Pretty calm mannered so far, takes a lot of getting used to having to take care of something so young but I'm really enjoying it. Here's some pics of the little guy:

MEwDS.jpg

mUeq3.jpg

LrsaF.jpg

If anyone has any tips for training / raising a new pup, I'm all ears, I'll be going through all the links in the OP tonight, awesome resources.

Cheska

If anyone has any tips for training / raising a new pup, I'm all ears, I'll be going through all the links in the OP tonight, awesome resources.

Get a crate, it's your new best friend. If he cries when he's in there the first few days, just cover the crate with a towel when you go to bed.

Also, biggest tip I have is to be careful who you let into your house for a while, or well until he gets all of his vaccines, which should end at 16 weeks at which point he is eligible for his rabies. This also means no walking him outside or taking him to pet stores unless you plan on carrying him. Parvo virus is an extremely bad disease that unvaccinated puppies can get and it is VERY expensive to treat with no guarantee your puppy will make it.

Other than that, have fun and enjoy this new bundle of fur you have! Goldies are such good dogs and I'm sure your life will be that much brighter with him in it :)

Red_Man

Get a crate, it's your new best friend. If he cries when he's in there the first few days, just cover the crate with a towel when you go to bed.

Also, biggest tip I have is to be careful who you let into your house for a while, or well until he gets all of his vaccines, which should end at 16 weeks at which point he is eligible for his rabies. This also means no walking him outside or taking him to pet stores unless you plan on carrying him. Parvo virus is an extremely bad disease that unvaccinated puppies can get and it is VERY expensive to treat with no guarantee your puppy will make it.

Other than that, have fun and enjoy this new bundle of fur you have! Goldies are such good dogs and I'm sure your life will be that much brighter with him in it :)

Do you mean just going outside period, or just going for walks? I wasn't planning on taking him for walks past my yard for a few weeks but I have taken him outside to go to the washroom already. He's going to be getting his first set of shots next week as well, thanks for the heads up.

Cheska

Do you mean just going outside period, or just going for walks? I wasn't planning on taking him for walks past my yard for a few weeks but I have taken him outside to go to the washroom already. He's going to be getting his first set of shots next week as well, thanks for the heads up.

Your backyard should be fine if you've been there for a few years, but I would avoid parks/front yard. The problem with those areas is that they are high traffic dog zones and parvo can be carried by others :(

Red_Man

Makes sense, our backyard is clean and I don't take him out front, thanks again for the tip :D

my sister and brother in-law got a boxer pup thats about 4 months old. they feed him exclusively on a raw food diet (BARF is what it was called IIRC). they've been trying to get us to get our dog on a raw diet but im pretty skeptical after reading some things online, and we're pretty happy with feeding him blue wilderness dry food.

one of the things that she keeps telling me is "the lady who supplies our food says you don't have to vaccinate your dog when they are on the raw diet since their immune system is boosted." though im not so sure a raw food diet can combat rabies. and yet they still feed him cooked bones from like prime rib.

should i send her this link i read (http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw-dog-food-dietary-concerns-benefits-and-risks)? im just a little concerned that the raw diet might not be best for their pup at this stage , but they're pretty steadfast on it:
“The only place I’ve seen a problem with this diet is puppies,” Knueven says. “If you don’t get the calcium and phosphorous ratio right, you can have bone deformities and growth issues.”

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have to share her - Matty - we got her in June of last year, and she's now a year old. I used to always, always be a cat person, but she's changed me. Even now, just posting up these pictures, I want to go home and play with her so much. There's been growing pains - she's eaten a lot of the carpet, and...the walls. And the windowsill. She's since slowed down and almost stopped doing it. But I don't care. I'd come home from work and see some carnage, and get sad for about 2 seconds, then I melt.

XmnlAl.jpg

cSP7Ul.jpg

KPlv5l.jpg

Rdjmul.jpg

Never thought a dog could do it, but she did. I'll never want to be without one ever again, I love her so much.

Tenks

I forgot to post my puppy! Meet Reggie. In that picture I believe he was around 9-10 weeks old. He is 16 weeks old tomorrow. Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

AOL69.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot to post my puppy! Meet Reggie. In that picture I believe he was around 9-10 weeks old. He is 16 weeks old tomorrow. Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

That's a neat little guy :)

my sister and brother in-law got a boxer pup thats about 4 months old. they feed him exclusively on a raw food diet (BARF is what it was called IIRC). they've been trying to get us to get our dog on a raw diet but im pretty skeptical after reading some things online, and we're pretty happy with feeding him blue wilderness dry food.

one of the things that she keeps telling me is "the lady who supplies our food says you don't have to vaccinate your dog when they are on the raw diet since their immune system is boosted." though im not so sure a raw food diet can combat rabies. and yet they still feed him cooked bones from like prime rib.

should i send her this link i read (http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw-dog-food-dietary-concerns-benefits-and-risks)? im just a little concerned that the raw diet might not be best for their pup at this stage , but they're pretty steadfast on it:

I wouldn't worry too much. I've raised one puppy on raw, and I'm currently raising a new one the same way. I'm convinced that it's the best way to go, provided you know what you're doing and offer a wide variety of meats, bones, and organs.

The biggest change I've noticed is that they grow pretty evenly and proportionally, bypassing that awkward puppy stage where they're always tripping over their own feet. It's pretty cool to see.

No idea on the vaccination thing. Dogs on a well-constructed raw diet do seem to be healthier and more resistant to disease, and I considered skipping the shots, but ultimately my dogs received their vaccinations just to be safe. I think keeping them intact (or at least waiting till they've stopped growing to get them fixed) is pretty important, though.

kaskade

Well I found out my adopted dog is scared of thunder today. He just ran up into my room (usually sleeps downstairs) jumped, on my bed and was shaking. Seems better now and it's still going on.

koji

Some updates on my dog, Fik, he turns 7 this year, Belgian Mastiff, 70.7 kg.

Enjoys cocktails

64128_10150592834886314_47326021313_9529483_768923708_n.jpg

417748_10150592835901314_47326021313_9529491_1342682745_n.jpg

Pancakes?

405099_10150704443206314_47326021313_9878465_1452525803_n.jpg

Pancakes!

559504_10150704443486314_47326021313_9878466_541320237_n.jpg

He's pretty cool

13533_178659326313_47326021313_3433523_4763528_n.jpg

<3

Hey guys, I've been seriously considering getting a dog the past couple of months, and going with my friend while he adopted a new cat made it really hit home, seeing all the dogs needing to be adopted.

That being said I've been giving it a lot of thought today, but here's my situation:

I'm 26, in college, living in an apartment on my own. I don't work, but do have the money to afford a dog. So that being said, outside of the couples of hours a day I have class, and time I'm at the gym, I'm usually sitting at home. I'm active, in fact my first form of transportation is cycling and walking here around town. So to have a dog to join me in walks or even just to take him/her out to the park nearby wouldn't be an issue.

No plans on moving within the next year, and likely will be here for the next two years. Complex is animal friendly, in fact there's quite a few dog owners here.

The next few months are gonna be kinda lame. I'm looking to get a part-time job, but without school I'll probably be bored at home most of the time.

Not really sure what kind of dog to get, we had some growing up but I've never really taken care of one personally. I've always liked Beagles, Labs, and JRTs, but I know those dogs are full of energy, which I think I could handle, but that's probably not well suited for an apartment. Was thinking of getting a young to older dog at one of the shelters here if I were to get one.

I just gotta admit the thought of getting own makes me very nervous. I'd love nothing more to have a nice little companion, but I've never really personally taken care of one before.

andycapps

My dog doesn't really sit still long enough to get great pictures.. Mostly happens because I try to get his attention and then he knows I'm looking at him so he wants to come over and see what's up. He's a boxer and his name is Rex.

IMG_20120427_173352_Sophia.jpg

Never really got a response, but the foster family of this beagle mix is letting me test him out to see if we fit each other well and if I'm ready for owning a dog. So far he's been great, he's 9 months old, doesn't bark, is housetrained (so far so good anyway), well mannered, and VERY smart.

I've only had about a day with him and I've already gotten him on the steps to learning two things he has issues with. The first is walking on a leash, he was a big puller, especially when he caught scent of something. But I took some advice mentioned earlier in this thread about getting him to realize that I lead, and reward him when he does things right... and so far we've been out on a few walks and he's been doing just fine. He just gets distracted when other people show up, but with time I think he'll do great.

The other big issue is that he door dashes. I've been working on it all morning so far, and I think he'll do fine. I've got him used to waiting until I say he can exit even with the door wide open.

Now how do I get him to wait when I'm coming inside? I've been teaching him "Wait" in hopes of being able to say it as I come in, and it seemed to work, but I'm just making sure there's no better method. Can't really seem to find anything.

In any case, I think I'm pretty close to adopting this guy. He's a sweetheart and catches on very quick. I think with some obedience classes (mostly for myself heh) and practice he'll be a dream.

Rebiak

Neo Member
Our Tibetan Terrier was getting too hard to groom, daily brushing wasn't enough.
So we decided to get her hair cut...

Before:
hrIcD.jpg

After:
8Ejk5.jpg

Coins

Banned
I had a thread on here I made at the beginning of May about having to put my dog, Ozzy, to sleep. He was part of a pair consisting of him and a German Shepperd. Our intention was to not adopt another dog for awhile as we didn't want to just replace the one we lost.

Our Shepperd (Chewie) did not agree.

When my wife and I got home from the vet that evening, Chewie was howling loud enough for the neighbors to hear. She continued on until I had to pat her head and clam her down. Our two dogs had not been separated in years. She kept this up for two days and I had to call the vet and ask what to do. He said shes just being the alpha dog and using howling as a way to call the missing dog home. Everytime she did it my wife would burst into tears. The vet said to get another dog.

Whats funny is that even though the two were never separated, they were not social with each other. They rarely played together, never slept together and generally were just cool with each other.

My wife and I went to an adoption event at PetCo and found this guy who we named Loki.

9510a777.jpg

67c94ef2.jpg

We are his fifth home in three months. His original owner was a lab breeder and gave up the puppies because the mother was hit by a car and died before they were weaned. The lady that does the rescues got 5 puppies and 2 ended up living since some were not receptive to bottle feeding. He was then adopted out to a couple that was taking care of a relative with advanced cancer. He stayed there one day until they realized caring for a human and a tiny puppy was too much and they brought him back. His next stop was a young lady who kept him for three weeks until she had to move back in with her mom who said no dogs. Again, he was brought back to the rescue lady. We have had him for a week now and he is here to stay. Due to being bottle fed by humans, he is a bit of a need dog. He likes to be held and is pretty calm for a puppy. Chewie quit howling the day we brought him home. She pretty much ignores him for the most part which is basically how it was before so Id say things are back to normal. I still miss my buddy like crazy, but having a puppy keeps you too busy to sit around and think.

Riggs

Banned
5FxvR.jpg

He told me to put all those shirts on him.

Was moving at the time and it seemed like a good idea. Forgive the mess!

In any case, I think I'm pretty close to adopting this guy. He's a sweetheart and catches on very quick. I think with some obedience classes (mostly for myself heh) and practice he'll be a dream.

good luck! i will say that the more you exercise your (hopefully soon-to-be) pup, the less likely he'll act out negatively. it's good that walking is one of your main modes of transportation; just find dog friendly places in your area and walk him there and hang out. and it's true about obedience classes: they are more about training the human than they are about the dog.

regarding the door thing, if the dog knows "sit" then you can teach him to "wait-sit" and go through the door first, then reward him with a treat. eventually, you can drop the "sit" part and your dog should catch on pretty shortly. we did that with our dog and now he knows to wait for us going in/out of doors and before crossing the street.

^I've probably said it before in this thread, but I really love the color on your dachs joelseph.

Anyway just bought a new lens for my camera so new pictures!

shikkosummer1-1.jpg

shikkosummer2-1.jpg

shikkosummer3-1.jpg

shikkosummer4-1.jpg

shikkosummer5-1.jpg

shikkosummer6-1.jpg

shikkosummer7-1.jpg

skip

been wanting to post in this thread for a while, now I can! I get this little guy next Friday:

tumblr_m4e9gqXnSG1rux8gko1_500.jpg

english setter, 8 weeks (10 when I get him)

Red_Man

So my 3 month old puppy ate some quick flame charcoal, he puked it up and seems fine right now, I'm seeing the vet for shots for him tomorrow anyways, anyone else have any similar event to this? He isn't showing any other signs of poisoning and I can't find the ingredients to quick flame charcoal online.

We got a new dog 2 years ago after our other one died. I don't have any pics right now but he's a 6 or 7 yrs black chow/we think retriever or lab called Bear. What's weird is he recently started becoming really obstinate and disobedient. Like I'll try and take him out and he just lays there (he's learned to use his body weight against us). It's annoying.

Just got a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. His name is Ein.

Here he is at the park.

I took him to S. Padre on memorial day weekend.

That spot on his rear end is shedding away. I noticed that after he got some sun, his coat seemed to get a brighter red!

Kammie

I had a thread on here I made at the beginning of May about having to put my dog, Ozzy, to sleep. He was part of a pair consisting of him and a German Shepperd. Our intention was to not adopt another dog for awhile as we didn't want to just replace the one we lost.
I just read your thread about Ozzy and I have to say I was really touched. You handled it exceptionally well, and I'm glad to hear you guys got your other dog a companion. Loki looks like he's going to be a good buddy.

Some great pics in this thread! I enjoy going through it.

Tuvoc

Hey there Dog-Gaf!

I have a few questions about training my new dog.

Let me preface this post by stating that I've spent my entire life around cats. My family had one dog that we got from a pet shop and she had issues and Im scarred from numerous bites I endured. So for a long time I was wary of ever owning a dog, feeling I couldn't trust them. Also, having only owned one, I don't know much about them aside from what I've read about my new dog's species.

So on to my question.

I was given a 10 month old German Shepherd by a friend because she couldn't keep it where she was moving to. I've done a lot of reading lately and I want to train to see me as "Alpha Dog". My question is, can this sort of training be done at 10 months? I know her ex basically took care of the dog so it wasn't babied much and I know its an intelligent species. I just wasn't sure if it was too late to properly train this dog.

Any help would be much appreciated! Also, if any of you are familiar with the German Shepherd species, feel free to let me know any other facts or tidbits about the species that I should be aware of.

Here is a picture of Niko. She said he was "full bred" German Shepherd which im pretty sure is bullshit because to me he looks more "wolf-like" than other German Shepherds I've seen.

niko.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Top Bottom