• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

warthog

Dogs are so awesome! Love these pics.

Here's my pooch:

IMG_0935de.jpg

She could be allergic to something, I would suggest to take her to a vet. Three small patches isn't a lot, but if she seems uncomfortable.. yeah. Allergies aren't something they're necessarily born with so they could get them later in life. Or it could be something else entirely, or maybe even nothing of course!

Thanks for the reply. I did take her to the vet. Went twice. Each time they gave her a shot and some medicine, and it helped for a bit then came back. I can't afford to spend 150 bucks each few weeks to get this to go away and I haven't been able to get much figured out. Her food is the same, we've washed and cleaned her cage, she's a very well taken care of dog. That's why I can't figure out what this is.

Do you, or any one else, have any suggestions for some kind of topical cream I can put on the area where she's scratching? The skin is pretty dry and flaky.

Flo

Thanks for the reply. I did take her to the vet. Went twice. Each time they gave her a shot and some medicine, and it helped for a bit then came back. I can't afford to spend 150 bucks each few weeks to get this to go away and I haven't been able to get much figured out. Her food is the same, we've washed and cleaned her cage, she's a very well taken care of dog. That's why I can't figure out what this is.

Do you, or any one else, have any suggestions for some kind of topical cream I can put on the area where she's scratching? The skin is pretty dry and flaky.

I had sort of the same thing with my cat. She seems to have become allergic to her usual food, sucks. My boyfriends dog has the same thing as you mentioned though. Eventually it always heals, with her it has more to do with stress, so in the end it could be anything.
I have this wound ointment for animals, from what I understand it also helps to make it less itchy. It's called Vetramil.

94R59.jpg

My now 1 year old Shiba Inu, Raiden...
This was after we got his enlarged hernia removed... he wouldn't stop going at himself so we had to get this.

Hmmm where'd you get that? THat's like an alternative to a cone right? I've gotta get dunk the lunk fixed in January/Feb, and I hate the idea of putting the cone on him... I feel like he'll just keep fighting to get it off, plus with such a small face it might hamper him from getting to food, etc.

Suggestions?

Hmmm where'd you get that? THat's like an alternative to a cone right? I've gotta get dunk the lunk fixed in January/Feb, and I hate the idea of putting the cone on him... I feel like he'll just keep fighting to get it off, plus with such a small face it might hamper him from getting to food, etc.

Suggestions?

I got the Comfy Cone when my dog got fixed:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XY7CKE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Worked alright. He hated the hard plastic one the vet put on. At least with the comfy cone he could put his head down like a pillow. Of course, he doesn't like anything on his head but he looked much less sad than the plastic cone which made him bump into everything. After about 5 days he didn't need any cone at all since he wasn't licking his stitches. So in some aspects I felt like it was a waste of money, but the dude was happier so I guess that's all that counts - plus I can hold onto it for whenever he needs to have another operation again (let's hope not!). Another positive is you can take the cone on and off pretty easily and watch if he goes at his stitches.

So my boston terrier duncan got 3 shots yesterday and was very achey and sore and sad, so I made the critical mistake of allowing him -- just this one time -- to sleep in my bed on his blanket wrapped up. And well, tonight, he was not happy that I did not let him:

iNnY9.gif

This is dunk sitting on his dog bed barking at me for a solid 8 minutes.

Give them a finger and they'll bite your hand off :p

Did the same mistake by letting my dog up in my bed one night this summer. Next two nights were not happy nights :p

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the comment. And yeah Shikko's white/pale color is rather unusual for Icelandic Sheepdogs, but they do come it pretty much every kind of color.

A more foxy red/brown color is very typical though.
Hi%20Lydur%20Bliki%20Lukka%20juni%202011.jpg

And yes your dog does look like it got some Australian Shepard in it (and maybe German Shepard as well?).
Thank you so so much for posting this information. Mutts being the mystery they are, we were originally told our puppy was a golden retreiver and great pyrenees mix. As she grew up, she looked pretty spot on for a Border Collie mix, and had almost the exact same behavior. We have horses and she's always around livestock, and naturally did so well without any training at all. After reading this, my wife and I did some research on the breed and behavior-wise, sounds *spot* on for one. Who knows for sure though.

Puppy Daphne:

qlXu9.jpg

9 Month Daphne:

X6xmv.jpg

We were pretty close to getting a Border Collie or Corgi for a second dog, but after researching these guys, it's like a perfect combination of both. And they're so healthy! Thank you, sincerely.

no angel

Parents have finally bought themselves a new pup, he's a novascotian duck tolling retriever (mouthful) and he's awesome. Very friendly and confident, if a little bitey.

Meet Flynn

ee08b5a7.jpg

Loves his Pringles
b0392028.jpg

Sleeps like a person
be1eccc8.jpg

Quick

Banned
Looks happy in the mud there, Los. Must've been a chore to bathe. :p

Does anyone have any experience with those little devices that stop dogs from barking? I forgot the name of it, but I'm curious about them. Not a shock collar, but I believe they emit a sound whenever you press the button on it. My dog goes insane whenever we have visitors or when someone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell, and it takes time for him to settle back down.

mkenyon

Banned
Make the dog uncomfortable when they do it. When they behave properly, use lots of rewards.

Think about how an alpha dog in a pack would tell another dog that they really disapprove of something they are doing.

Raxel

Hoping Facebook linking works..

Maya (straight back GSD from german line) week 1

302395_10150818541180367_526280366_20893880_966396911_n.jpg

Not afraid of our neighbours American Akita 3x her size

293951_10150818544430367_526280366_20893910_1154805689_n.jpg

4 months

303052_10150818539075367_526280366_20893855_703041470_n.jpg

6 1/2 months with her playmate, a 4 month old staffy

374714_10151019458220367_526280366_21941094_780346185_n.jpg

Volimar

I think malamutes and huskies are so beautiful. I prefer them with the brown eyes though, the pale/blue eyed ones kind of freak me out.

$200

Banned
Gafs, please help me figure how to stop my dog from bullying / starting fights with other dogs.

She's a 2.5 year old border collie (female, desexed). Never had problem with others before until around a year ago when she started becoming more aggressive at dog parks and it just keeps getting worse. Weird thing is, at the parks she would only ever fight with other dogs if we are near her, but can play with them just fine if we watch from some distance. I asked the vet and she said it could be her "protective nature" or something.

Any idea what exactly is going on in her mind and how it can be prevented?

P1010417.jpg

(she's the one on the left)

Gafs, please help me figure how to stop my dog from bullying / starting fights with other dogs.
Any idea what exactly is going on in her mind and how it can be prevented?

have you tried taking your dog on a walk or getting her some exercise before going to the dog park? i think it helps to get your dog a little tired/calm before going to the dog park, since it can be more of a social experience than a physically intensive one.

$200

Banned
have you tried taking your dog on a walk or getting her some exercise before going to the dog park? i think it helps to get your dog a little tired/calm before going to the dog park, since it can be more of a social experience than a physically intensive one.
Ok I should try that. Although she likes to get into fight while going on walk too.

Take her on the bike. That way you can go as fast or slow as your dog wants, and it wears them out a lot faster than you walking. I usually ride 3-8kms before my dog gets to the park, and then he's a lot more worn out and easy to manage then driving there and having him really excited as he gets out of the car and then runs around like an idiot annoying the other dogs.

wwm0nkey

Question, my dad keeps feeding my dog WAY too much food and treats. He has gotten massively fat and I know this is not good for the dog. How do I convince my dad that this is bad for the dog because he is not listening at all.

Tell your dad the dog has to go on a diet and that he's killing the dog. You'll save money and save your dog. Otherwise, the dog is gonna die. The vet will tell you the same thing.

Ok I should try that. Although she likes to get into fight while going on walk too.

Try carrying treats with you on your walks. If you think your dog is going to act out or get out of line, distract her with treats and get her to settle down.

When a dog isn't a dog

t1largdog.jpg

But while these dogs walk side by side with their troop handlers or go on jumps from helicopters in service members' arms, the Defense Department classifies military working dogs as "equipment," a term that advocates want changed.

"These dogs are more soldiers than they are equipment," said Debbie Kandoll, founder of Military Working Dog Adoptions.
"Equipment you can leave behind," Kandoll said. "We've left tanks in Iraq. Everywhere we've been, we've left stuff. If you reclassify them as manpower, then you can't leave them."

Today, dogs are no longer left in war zones. In 2000, President Bill Clinton signed a law that allowed the dogs to be adopted by former handlers, law enforcement agencies and civilians. But Kandoll says this law didn't go far enough and is pushing for an amendment to include the reclassification of war dogs.

U.S. Rep. Walter Jones, R-North Carolina, agrees that a new classification is needed to elevate the "solider dog." Jones has been working on a bill that would reclassify the dogs as "K-9 members of the armed forces" and provide a way for the Defense Department to honor the dogs with official medals.

"Those who have been to war tell me that the dogs are invaluable," he said. "That they are just as much a part of a unit as a soldier or Marine. They are buddies."
"While there is a proper, legal classification for a working dog, we know they are living things, and we have great respect and admiration for them," said Lackland Air Force Base spokesman Gerry Proctor. The dogs are trained at Lackland. "A handler would never speak of their dog as a piece of equipment. The dog is their partner. You can walk away from a damaged tank, but not your dog. Never."

But if the dogs are retired on an overseas base, the military will not provide for their transportation back home, a practice that Kandoll says is like leaving them behind.

"The day the dog is retired, the dog is considered excess equipment and not entitled to any transport back," she said.

When a dog is retired on an overseas base and is adopted by someone in the United States, the adopter is charged the dog's shipping cost, which can be up to $2,000.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok GAF dog-age, I've been getting an itch to have a dog for the first time in my life and I just don't know if I can pull the trigger to get one.

Here's my situation...

30 years old
Single
Live in a 2 story town home that I own which does share walls on both sides as well as shares my living room floor with the ceiling of a small single unit below me.
Have no yard
I work Mon-Fri 10-6 (this can go as late as 9 or later during crunch time)
I have never owned a pet before
I'd prefer one that didn't shed a lot or need to be exercised every single day (more forgiving on this last one as a 30 minute walk isn't going to kill me).

I've been looking at different breeds over the past few weeks, but the ones I like are either considered "too big" or need a lot of work/care/exercise. I'd love a Beagle or a Lab, but the Beagle is said to not be a good apartment type dog due to it's barking/howling and the Lab might just be too big. I don't want a lap or toy dog. Am I just going to have to wait until I move into a bigger place (ie a regular house)?

ollin

Ok GAF dog-age, I've been getting an itch to have a dog for the first time in my life and I just don't know if I can pull the trigger to get one.

Here's my situation...

30 years old
Single
Live in a 2 story town home that I own which does share walls on both sides as well as shares my living room floor with the ceiling of a small single unit below me.
Have no yard
I work Mon-Fri 10-6 (this can go as late as 9 or later during crunch time)
I have never owned a pet before
I'd prefer one that didn't shed a lot or need to be exercised every single day (more forgiving on this last one as a 30 minute walk isn't going to kill me).

I've been looking at different breeds over the past few weeks, but the ones I like are either considered "too big" or need a lot of work/care/exercise. I'd love a Beagle or a Lab, but the Beagle is said to not be a good apartment type dog due to it's barking/howling and the Lab might just be too big. I don't want a lap or toy dog. Am I just going to have to wait until I move into a bigger place (ie a regular house)?

Here you go.
Golden-Lab-Plush-Dog.jpg

Sorry your situation doesn't sound ideal for a dog owner. Leaving a dog by himself with not a lot of exercise for 8+ hours is not ideal. It might work out with an older dog or bringing it to a doggy day care once in a while.

Here's my situation
Am I just going to have to wait until I move into a bigger place (ie a regular house)?

Consider fostering an older dog. That way you can see if a dog would fit your lifestyle while at the same time helping a dog in need. If you talk to an animal rescue and tell them your situation, they will be more than happy to try to match you with a dog. That's what I did.

Zyzyxxz

It's been almost a year since I picked her up and it's been a big learning experience. Definitely makes me think twice about having a kid though LOL. I'm thinking about getting another dog so she has someone to play with when we are gone for long periods of time (usually 5 hours max since she hates being alone). She has a few bad habits I'm still trying to break so I worry if I get a second dog in the future should I adopt an older one? Will the bad habits of the younger one rub off to the older one, I doubt it which is my thinking.

For now I work from home so I can basically watch her all day though.

6699853249_0ed3466d85_z.jpg

6665719909_85a79f158e_z.jpg

6665717549_384702e900_z.jpg

dvolovets

It's been almost a year since I picked her up and it's been a big learning experience. Definitely makes me think twice about having a kid though LOL. I'm thinking about getting another dog so she has someone to play with when we are gone for long periods of time (usually 5 hours max since she hates being alone). She has a few bad habits I'm still trying to break so I worry if I get a second dog in the future should I adopt an older one? Will the bad habits of the younger one rub off to the older one, I doubt it which is my thinking.

For now I work from home so I can basically watch her all day though.

6699853249_0ed3466d85_z.jpg

6665719909_85a79f158e_z.jpg

6665717549_384702e900_z.jpg

This is only tangentially related, but what camera are you using? Great quality pictures.

...snip

Boston terriers are great apartment dogs and are well adapted at being left alone, without destroying the house. They also have bowels & bladders of steel. My six month old Boston is great, got him potty trained almost perfectly by month-3, but I also get home at lunch to walk him and give him some exercise every day (I work within a mile from my house). Boston's don't bark very much and they are low-shedding dogs. They can also get a fair amount of exercise going up and down stairs all day of your house, but, will still need pretty decent walks especially when young to get out energy.

Beagles are tough dogs, IMO. They're great, but are stubborn and can be a pain. The howling could also be a problem for your neighbors if you have a split townhouse.

While having a puppy is awesome, you will want to die being alone and taking care of the puppy, it can be very nerve wracking. I was really beside myself with grief in the first few weeks and thought I made a big mistake.

HylianTom

Banned
When I was a college student back in the 90s, I'd drive home to visit family about every six weeks. For each visit, I'd stay one night with my Maw-Maw. She was an insomniac night-owl and lived alone, so we'd stay up until sunrise eating junk food and watching old movies. She'd usually pass-out in her recliner around 4am - but she'd frequently talk in her sleep.

By far, her favorite thing to yell-out was: "Snooooooopy! My baby Snooopy.. Snoopy?"

Snoopy was her beagle-mix; he had passed-away in 1967, and here she was, three decades later, crying-out for him in her sleep.

Maw Maw passed three years ago, and I think I finally understand why she was crying for her old dog in her sleep. My little man, Jake, is gone. He left us on Saturday afternoon. He was 14.5 years old.

He had been incontinent of urine for the past four months, and the arthritis in his hips was pretty bad, so we weren't able to collect enough of a clean sample in the usual catch-it-in-a-cup way. So we went to get some urine drawn from him via catheter on last Tuesday. When he was cathed, we found out that he had an aggressive, highly vascularized tumor in his bladder (which wasn't there in labwork or imaging a mere six months ago). The tumor was about five centimeters in diameter at its widest point. It had been pierced and was now slowly bleeding into his bladder. At the rate he was leaking blood, the vet estimated that he'd have maybe two weeks to live.

I took as much time off of work as I could last week. My partner and I cleared the living room, inflated our king-sized camping bed, and spent Thursday, Friday, and most of Saturday there in bed with Jake, watching TV and enjoying the fireplace. The vet had provided Jake with some really good pain medication, so he was feeling very dopey and happy and comfy. We also gave him his favorite foods.. barbeque, chicken pot pie, deer steak, ice cream, Popeyes, etc.

Jake's appetite stayed normal until Friday night. He was also very playful all the way until Saturday afternoon, playing tug-of-war with us and his little toy puppy all the way to the end. On Saturday morning, we had Mom and Dad visit to say goodbye to their furry grandchild. They don't cry easily, so it was a bit alarming to see them so upset over this dog.

The official plan was to have one good final weekend, doped-up in front of the fireplace with a good feast before his Tuesday appointment. But around 2PM on Saturday, he had a seizure for about 30 seconds. His first ever. We knew it was time to take him to the vet. I couldn't let him go through this. He had a terrified look in his eyes during the seizure. It was horrible to watch. And afterwards, he was very tired. While HylianGreg drove, I lay in the back of the car holding Jake, crying and singing to him as he slept.

The whole process at the vet was surreal. We picked his cremation services, the urn, the memorial mementos, etc. I haven't cried like that since I was a little boy. (and, truthfully, here I go again. I've been wrecked.)

We get his ashes in the morning. I finally felt semi-well enough to think about it and type about it tonight. My heart is broken, and I don't know if I'll ever get another dog again. God broke the mold when He made Jake.

SunrisewithJake.jpg

SnowKisses.jpg

OldManinSnow-1.jpg

I love you, Jake. Thank you for everything.

slider

Wow, Tom, sorry for your loss. Great looking dog too. Beautiful eyes in that last shot.

As I said, really sorry for your loss. My pooch is asleep next to me and I can't imagine how hard it'll be.

Very sorry to hear that, he was a beautiful dog. Akita's really are the most amazing breed you can have. So insanely loyal and friendly, they just absolutely live and breathe for your company and affection. My boys only 8 months old, I couldnt imagine losing him, he has already made such a big impression on me and my family.

Raw goat and veggies: Kibble's off the menu for these dogs

You won't find any Purina or Science Diet when 4-year-old Ginger, an Australian shepherd, digs into her dinner. Instead it's chicken, lamb and elk or, lately, raw goat with a side of fruit and veggies.

"She's my baby, and I want to do the best for her," said Ginger's owner, Marylee LaBaw, of east Orchard Mesa. "She has her own freezer. I don't have my own freezer."

As people are getting choosier about what they eat, they're insisting on providing their pets with more nutritious foods.

Even the high-priced commercial dog food didn't agree with Ginger, so LaBaw started researching other options.

For a time she made Ginger a formula of vegetables including yams, broccoli, spinach and added raw hamburger to the mix. That process became a bit inconvenient, so now LaBaw purchases goats to slaughter. Over time, Ginger will feed on the whole goat, including its organs and bones.

"Their carnivorous systems are designed to eat raw meat," LaBaw said. "They need the internal organs and calcium. I feed her everything; she works on the head. It's not for the squeamish at heart."

3 Cavaliers on a couch
SDC10019-2-1.jpg

Spoiled rotten, the only girl in the house.
SDC10036-1.jpg

Poser, the baby.
S40100702.jpg

Failed foster
Before
S4010032.jpg

After
SDC10127.jpg

(He's as old as the hills and has loads of health problems, was ina terrible state when we got him, but the OH couldn't let him go)

The problem child - Working Cocker/Springer Spaniel mix and a lunatic!
Only a baby here
CopperandLily-1-1.jpg

Cheer up
Frodofence-2-1.jpg

Top Bottom