• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

jbueno

My dog doesn't really sit still long enough to get great pictures.. Mostly happens because I try to get his attention and then he knows I'm looking at him so he wants to come over and see what's up. He's a boxer and his name is Rex.

IMG_20120427_173352_Sophia.jpg

Lovely Boxer by the way, how old is he?

I totally get what you mean as I have the same "problem" with my boxer. Here´s my Rooney, only 9 months old.

My question is, can this sort of training be done at 10 months? I know her ex basically took care of the dog so it wasn't babied much and I know its an intelligent species. I just wasn't sure if it was too late to properly train this dog.
It's not too late at all, far from it. During the several dog courses I've taken I've seen quite a few dogs having their first 'training' at 2 years old and so on. 10 months is still very young all things considered.

I don't know much about the specifics about german shepard training, but there should be some other users in this thread who does.

Also to me, judging from that single picture he looks like any other german shepard to me...

pj

Banned
I got a dog about 5 weeks ago and decided yesterday to give her back to the rescue. (I will be fostering her until they find a new home.) She is a super cute 10 month old australian shepherd mix, who I am sure will get re-adopted very quickly.

I spent 9 months thinking about getting a dog. Planning for the costs and annoyances as well as the fun stuff. Still, it has been less fun than I expected, and I am lamenting the loss of freedom more than I expected. The issues she has are minor and most likely correctable with training, but I'm not sure I want to invest even more money and time if I'm still going to end up not enjoying dog ownership all that much. I live in NYC, which isn't bad for dog ownership in itself, but living here means I like to go out, and having a dog limits how long I can be away from my apartment. Now is the last opportunity I have to give her back since she is already very attached to me and it may be traumatic to give her back later.

I feel like an asshole, but I think this is the best thing for both of us.

579575_4034847151538_1201919766_n.jpg

:/

my 6 year old female black poodle named Rani

I have never seen a dog who loves being petted as much as this one. Her favorite move is to shove her head into your crotch if you're sitting down and look available. Got her as a rescue 2 years ago

Tuvoc

It's not too late at all, far from it. During the several dog courses I've taken I've seen quite a few dogs having their first 'training' at 2 years old and so on. 10 months is still very young all things considered.

I don't know much about the specifics about german shepard training, but there should be some other users in this thread who does.

Also to me, judging from that single picture he looks like any other german shepard to me...

Thanks for the info, Metroid. At the moment I've already startedwalking him twice daily, keeping him at my side. And he adapted rather quickly. He's on a strict eating schedule which takes place after I eat. And I don't allow him on any furniture without my permission, and he's been listening very well. I love how intelligent he is.

I have another question though. Would it be difficult training him certain commands in a different language? Obviously, most dogs (esp. German Shepherds) are trained with German commands. However I speak French well, and would prefer to train him in French. Im assuming since dogs tend to read your emotions more-so than your words, it shouldn't be too hard. But if anybody knows it's too late to teach commands in another language, and i'd just be wasting my time, please let me know. I don't want to confuse my dog.

And again. Any of you guys that are knowledgeable in Alpha training, please feel free to offer any other advise. As I stated in my earlier post, this is MY first dog. And I want to train him properly.

Edit: I almost forgot a serious issue I've been having with him so far. The dog will not shit outside. Ive had his since Friday and he's shit in the house twice already. once in my sunroom and another time in my bedroom. And I dont quite understand it. This morning for instance, I woke up at 6:30 to him whimpering. I assumed he needed to go outside so I took him outside. While I waited I sat down and smoked a cigarette. He sniffed a bit of the grass, turned around, and came back to me and layed down. When I finished smoking we went back inside. I layed back down and heard him eating, within minutes of that I smelled shit and found he took a crap in my sunroom. I don't understand this, nor do I know how to even handle this situation. Please help! cuz he's a big boy and his dumps are bigger than an average human. Also, I've only seen him mark territory outside, and he's pissed in the house as well. What do I do?

Language is not a problem either. Or really any sound or gesture, just as long as you are consistent with the way you communicate it to your dog (for example be clear in your pronounciation, make sure nothing is inbetween you and your dog, etc.). I could teach my icelandic sheepdog to do something using the word blabbergedunk! (but I wont...) and I'm fairly certain it would take him a couple of days to get the command, just as with everything else (My dog is 1.5 year old). For all I know your german is probably smarter than mine, so be free to go all out. For the record I know another owner of an icelandic sheepdog who teaches her dog both Danish and Icelandic commands with no problems.

On housetraining. Do you know wether your friend taught it to piss and shit outside? If not proper house training will take some time (we are talking a few weeks here). If yes, then he really just need to find out the rutines, rythem, rules of your house. The reason why he does it inside can be anything from; 'Hmm stranger's house, I better mark the territory to keep off unwelcome guests' to 'I'm not that certain about this new place, it's probably safer for me to do my thing inside where I'm protected'.

It's great that you already have clear rutine on walks and meals. As Niko becomes better at housetraining, his internal clock will allign with those walks, and you'll almost be able to time his shits at some point.

You say he will not shit outside? Has he not done it outside at all since you got him Friday?
The basics are to make sure he shits/piss as the first thing in the morning, and as the last thing before you got to bed (add one more shit during your daily walks).
The shit he made this morning, did he shit before you took him out(during the night) or did he shit just as you let him in again. If the former, you will want to be one step ahead of him and set your alarm clock earlier tomorrow. If the latter, have patience (or be stubborn) and don't go inside until he has done his shit.
Praise him everytime he shits/piss outside. Never punish him if you discover he has done it inside, as he can't connect what the punishment is for. If anything he will just learn that he needs to hide his shit even more... bad idea.
Also try to pick up any signs that he's about to do it (walk around in circles, leaving the room, etc.) and act fast, but in a praising voice/manner.

The more accidents he will have the harder it will be to correct the behaviour, so more work now = less work later

I was watching my sister's dog, Charlie who is only 8 months old a few days ago. He was such a good boy that day.

For reference, this is him at three months.

One and a half months.

Yeah, they grow fast. Our lab/doberman mix went from small to giant in 8 months.

Picked up the puppy above today. My daughter decided to name her Eevee.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys, hopefully someone here can help me. i am taking care of my sister in laws beagle and he is always rubbing his lower back into walls itching it and stuff (he has done this for months), but now there is a pretty significant red rash with loss of hair in approximately the same spot that he always itches. Also the hair seems a little rougher in that area than others

Not sure what to do.

Kammie

hey guys, hopefully someone here can help me. i am taking care of my sister in laws beagle and he is always rubbing his lower back into walls itching it and stuff (he has done this for months), but now there is a pretty significant red rash with loss of hair in approximately the same spot that he always itches. Also the hair seems a little rougher in that area than others

Not sure what to do.
When's your sister-in-law taking him back? He needs to get checked out by a vet. That's the only real answer.

My young dog (now around 1 year old) and my (well, my dad's) old dog (12 years old, give or take) haven't exactly been getting along well lately. Well, to be fair, they have, but as the little guy grows older he tries to become the dominant male and fights between the two are common. It's going beyond mere play-fighting now, too. Heck, as time goes on, the new dog's getting more and more intolerant of the other one getting even the slightest bit of attention. He'll often start growling the moment the old dog comes close when I, my dad or my sister are nearby. We keep disciplining him, so we'll see how it goes: I just hope he wisens up before the fights between them get too serious.

joelseph

My 9 year old dachshund, Pepper.
http://i.minus.com/iubTOgnWTA2um.JPG[img]

My lady pointed out, what kind of best friend makes out with his friend's woman.
[img]http://i.minus.com/iFsgDx0WTwoee.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Dachshunds for life!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MSWom.jpg

Boxers are great dogs, but they kind of worry me in that they have such precocious personalities, but also really have a lot of power. There's a few boxers that come down to play near a local pond/park, and I bring my Boston Terrier down, and they all seem to have identical levels of energy, and a couple of their owners just have no control over them.

I'd love to have a boxer, but I'd really have to spend a lot of time with obedience training... mroe so than my boston. Any Boxer owners feel that way?

Speaking of which, I got Duncan the Dog last year partially because of this thread. In 6 days he turns 1 year old!

Cooling off last weekend.

Edit: I almost forgot a serious issue I've been having with him so far. The dog will not shit outside. Ive had his since Friday and he's shit in the house twice already. once in my sunroom and another time in my bedroom. And I dont quite understand it. This morning for instance, I woke up at 6:30 to him whimpering. I assumed he needed to go outside so I took him outside. While I waited I sat down and smoked a cigarette. He sniffed a bit of the grass, turned around, and came back to me and layed down. When I finished smoking we went back inside. I layed back down and heard him eating, within minutes of that I smelled shit and found he took a crap in my sunroom. I don't understand this, nor do I know how to even handle this situation. Please help! cuz he's a big boy and his dumps are bigger than an average human. Also, I've only seen him mark territory outside, and he's pissed in the house as well. What do I do?

This is normal behavior for a recently adjusted dog, but it's hard to break. how's it going 2 weeks later?

It's difficult, but you have to catch him in the act and forcefully say "NO," and then quickly hurry him outside... he may trail shit around the house in the process of getting outside, but if you get him outside while he's doing it or just before he goes to do it, and then praise the ever loving shit out of him (literally :D) when he goes outside, he'll slowly break of the bad habit. It's very similar with puppies.

But, the tricky part is a lot of dogs just don't go when being watched, especially in the house. So you have to look for those tell tale signs... sniffing around the exterior of a room, sniffing along certain spots, walking around in circles while sniffing the exterior of it... looking coy or peevish (like a bashful look not making eye contact). And then bounce up and say, "LET'S GO OUT" or "DO YOU WANT TO GO OUT" excitedly. Run t othe door, take him out for 5 minutes, to the boundaries of your property. If he goes, obviously, congratulate him and be overjoyed. If he doesn't, go back inside, and repeat. Wait for him t ostart walking around and looking like he's going to do it... and repeat.

It's exhausting. But this process works well for puppies and similarly for newly adjusted dogs. Also, walking them within 30 mins of a meal is good habit. Little duncan eats his dinner and then within ~10 minutes, is dropping a massive load in the yard. He's got a great schedule of regularity, haha.

-- Also, to the guy asking last page whether he should get a dog, and he's in college but has a good schedule.

Don't do it. Wait until you are settled. Getting a dog is A LOT of stress and they really lock you down to your schedule. I changed jobs about 6 months after getting my dog and that was very stressful for me. He's adapted well and we have a good schedule now, but it's tough. With college, you never know what your schedule will be next semester, and if you have to move or get a new job after, it's just too much. You should graduate and get a regular working schedule before the dog, it'll be a tough adjustment otherwise.

A little bummed out that on Monday I found this post on craigslist giving away a free dog, looked at her picture and was captivated by her enchanting eyes. Want to pet her and care for her. Asked my brother what he thinks, he said she is ...so so but really wants either a brown smooth Dachshund or a yellow and white Pelmbroke Corgi. I just want a dog, well at least one that I find endearing but I do with most dogs. I really liked the Wired haired Dachshund. Found a Dachshund mix :D going to tell my brother once he gets here, hope he likes the mutt cause he is a purist.

yPfLw.jpg

Mutt in question, she is a German Sheppard mix. I really like her lovely eyes and cute snout.

hoss

This is my Shih Tzu / Poodle mix Winnie. She's three years old and I got her from a local rescue group that saved her from a puppy mill. She's an absolute clown.

7FhhL.jpg

jett

D-Member
I love Westys. Would love to get one as our next dog.

How's his skin?

No skin problems at all, doesn't shed much hair either despite having a lot of it. My westy is about the most social and friendly dog I have ever met too. Has never growled at anyone ever. They really are great dogs.

No skin problems at all, doesn't shed much hair either despite having a lot of it. My westy is about the most social and friendly dog I have ever met too. Has never growled at anyone ever. They really are great dogs.
I wish more westys were like yours. Unfortunately, with the exception of one white westy, every single one we meet on walks or in parks, we are greeted by growls and angry barks. It has really tainted my view on the breed.

I made a post a while back about adopting, and despite no one responding to my post I decided to bite the bullet and get a dog anyway. I've had my buddy, Buddy, for over two months now and he's a total sweetheart. He's a ten month old beagle/lab mix and has been the best addition to my life. Something about having to care for a pet, on top of the fact that they become so attached to you makes you forget/not have time for the shitty parts of life.

198408_10151812309505082_1333572202_n.jpg

Friggz

37745_105064659548320_3667557_n.jpg

These are my pugs, on the right is lily and gambit is on the left. They are brother and sister who we rescued from an abandoned house.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My wife conned me into getting a puppy a few months back, now a five month old lab. Fcking thing is a pain in the ass. Spazzing out, biting everything, barking, etc. Right now it is hard to imagine why anyone gets a dog. On top of all this, we are trying to sell our house and move.

My wife conned me into getting a puppy a few months back, now a five month old lab. Fcking thing is a pain in the ass. Spazzing out, biting everything, barking, etc. Right now it is hard to imagine why anyone gets a dog. On top of all this, we are trying to sell our house and move.

They are guaranteed to get that way if they are taken from their mother before they are 8 weeks old. My Aunt got a dog a couple years ago that would be a spaz like your dog and also pee everywhere when she got excited. My Aunt ended up getting rid of her. She really tried with that dog and took it to behavior training, but she just didn't learn proper discipline from her mother.

Dre3001

So I see alot of people here with Shiba Inus so I figure I would ask here about getting one

I keep reading everywhere that these dogs do not get along with others. Is that really a problem even if you get a puppy and raise it with another dog from birth.

Reason being my brother already has a rottweiler/ beagle mix (basically looks like a beagle but with rottweiler coloring) who is only 1 year old and I was thinking of getting a Shiba puppy for myself but I keep reading they do not get along with other dogs so im wondering if it would not be the right dog for this situation.

yuna55

So I see alot of people here with Shiba Inus so I figure I would ask here about getting one

I keep reading everywhere that these dogs do not get along with others. Is that really a problem even if you get a puppy and raise it with another dog from birth.

Reason being my brother already has a rottweiler/ beagle mix (basically looks like a beagle but with rottweiler coloring) who is only 1 year old and I was thinking of getting a Shiba puppy for myself but I keep reading they do not get along with other dogs so im wondering if it would not be the right dog for this situation.

They are tricky for a number of reasons, but if you get a young shiba, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

We have three shibas- a female and two males. The female was first and essentially grown up by the time we got the others, and she loves our males. We got one male as a puppy, and she mothers him to this day even though he's twice her size now. We got the other male recently as a young adult, and she loves him in a different way, more like her best friend. The two males like each other, but the new, young adult male hasn't been neutered yet, so he tries to be dominate over the other male and can be a little snippy over toys or food. He was a rescue and from a house with multiple dominate dogs, so he was picked on and underweight. We're hoping some of this behavior subsides when he's neutered, but our other male is really patient with him. The female is dominate over both of them without ever being mean, and they know she's in charge, so that isn't a problem.

As far as other dogs, the boys seem like they love everybody. Our first male especially gets along with all dogs. The female, however, either loves other dogs or absolutely hates them. She's the wild card. She likes most male dogs (unless they're super dominate), and the only female dogs she likes are my parents dogs she was raised around and the occasional submissive female. This is common for female shibas. Some breeds get along better if you have multiple females rather than multiple males, but shibas are usually the opposite.

If you get the shiba early enough, it probably won't matter if you get a male or female, and it would likely learn submissive/dominance. Depending on the rott/beagle though... Is it a male or female? Does it get along better with dogs of a certain gender? I'd consider trying to find a good match for that dog.

in my experience, every shiba i've seen at the local dog park (about a half dozen different ones) have been really playful with other dogs. they're all friendly, and they also know how to push a dog's buttons to get them to chase them around. it's pretty funny.

we thought our dog was going to be the same way (not a shiba), but he's more of a loaner at the park, and just kind of tolerates other dogs but doesn't really engage them in too much play.

Dre3001

They are tricky for a number of reasons, but if you get a young shiba, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

We have three shibas- a female and two males. The female was first and essentially grown up by the time we got the others, and she loves our males. We got one male as a puppy, and she mothers him to this day even though he's twice her size now. We got the other male recently as a young adult, and she loves him in a different way, more like her best friend. The two males like each other, but the new, young adult male hasn't been neutered yet, so he tries to be dominate over the other male and can be a little snippy over toys or food. He was a rescue and from a house with multiple dominate dogs, so he was picked on and underweight. We're hoping some of this behavior subsides when he's neutered, but our other male is really patient with him. The female is dominate over both of them without ever being mean, and they know she's in charge, so that isn't a problem.

As far as other dogs, the boys seem like they love everybody. Our first male especially gets along with all dogs. The female, however, either loves other dogs or absolutely hates them. She's the wild card. She likes most male dogs (unless they're super dominate), and the only female dogs she likes are my parents dogs she was raised around and the occasional submissive female. This is common for female shibas. Some breeds get along better if you have multiple females rather than multiple males, but shibas are usually the opposite.

If you get the shiba early enough, it probably won't matter if you get a male or female, and it would likely learn submissive/dominance. Depending on the rott/beagle though... Is it a male or female? Does it get along better with dogs of a certain gender? I'd consider trying to find a good match for that dog.

This is good to hear, I figure most dogs anyways would figure out the chain of command in terms of dominance between them.

The rott/beagle is male and is friendly towards everyone so hopefully it isnt a problem.

in my experience, every shiba i've seen at the local dog park (about a half dozen different ones) have been really playful with other dogs. they're all friendly, and they also know how to push a dog's buttons to get them to chase them around. it's pretty funny.

we thought our dog was going to be the same way (not a shiba), but he's more of a loaner at the park, and just kind of tolerates other dogs but doesn't really engage them in too much play.

Thanks for the feedback. I will start looking more into shiba's and if it would be a good fit with the other dog in the house.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Question for dog owners, my golden retriever is 5 months old now, how much time should he be walking a day? I've read 5 mins per month so around 25-30 for him now, but I'm confused if that's for the entire day or just per walk, and if he needs more then 1 walk a day? He's in really good shape so far.

Top Bottom