• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

303205_10150791369500227_626510226_20609958_3276662_n.jpg

Here's my 11month old Boston terrier named Obi!

Tricks she knows so far!

Sit
Stand
Stay
Come
Leave it
Spin
Circle my legs
Make a figure 8 through my legs
Give
Catch
Touch my hand
Down
Ok (release command)
Go see 'name of my wife'
Go see 'my name'
Go get your ball
Go get your frisbee
Go potty
Go to your house (crate)

So it's been a total pleasure, this is our first dog and she is such an important part of our family now I can't imagine ever not having her :)

224445_10150755265980227_626510226_20175775_6839535_n.jpg

230227_10150591193770227_626510226_18409875_5791558_n.jpg

317283_10150284287246646_685251645_8335866_1932622203_n.jpg

Shadow just came down stairs a little while ago and jumped in my lap. So I snapped a pic with my webcam. But the lighting is bad. But alas, it is now my desktop background. I love Shadow so much ^_^

HylianTom

Banned
Scott - Shadow's beautiful!

Yesterday was my birthday. Last year on that day, my wish was that my family would enjoy good health over the following year - including Jake.

I got my wish. I can hear him snoring comfortably from here. :))

CAW

My Jack's, doing what they do.

Loves sticks:

z7cXc.jpg

Squirrel hunting:

WRJDm.jpg

Stealing fire wood:

TGmdT.jpg

Dawwwww moment:

ailCs.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Wow I'm so jealous of your yard! I have such a tiny plot of land that I have to keep my dog indoors most of the time, we don't have these "trees" you speak of you see.

Hopefully in a few years I can move out to a place that has a backyard.

My girlfriend has been working on a study project in Sweden during the summer and has been away on 2-months trips twice. When she got home the first time Shikko was insanely ecstatic, but unfortunately the video file of the meeting was corrupted. Yesterday my girlfriend finally got home for good and we had our camera ready once again. Shikko was a lot more calm this time though.

Shikko greeting my gf

gfandshikko1.jpg

gfandshikko2.jpg

20gxq45.png

This is Onyx, the new baby in our family. She's kind of a little asshole sometimes, but she's only a few months old, and soon we're going to take her to obedience classes. My stepdad's going to train her to fetch animals and stuff when he hunts or something.

TrounceX

This is my Husky, Onyx. He's kind of a beast at around 100lbs. I always say he has the personality of a cat because he's constantly doing random things and making me laugh.

whcn55.jpg

As a puppy obviously.

iwkg8g.jpg

Last winter when he was about 1.5 years old.

Crazy that the above posters dog is also named Onyx haha. I worked at a dog kennel for 5 years and never saw that name used. Here I thought I was so original :)

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Metroid Killer said:
My girlfriend has been working on a study project in Sweden during the summer and has been away on 2-months trips twice. When she got home the first time Shikko was insanely ecstatic, but unfortunately the video file of the meeting was corrupted. Yesterday my girlfriend finally got home for good and we had our camera ready once again. Shikko was a lot more calm this time though.
Your dog looks really great. I like his temperament. Are Icelandic Sheepdog usually that white?

Anyway, I've never quite been able to identify the breed of my dog. People keep mentioning her resemblance to some kind of Australian Shepherd mix. Does anyone know?

6ib7nn.jpg

Mgoblue201 said:
Your dog looks really great. I like his temperament. Are Icelandic Sheepdog usually that white?

Anyway, I've never quite been able to identify the breed of my dog. People keep mentioning her resemblance to some kind of Australian Shepherd mix. Does anyone know?
Thanks for the comment. And yeah Shikko's white/pale color is rather unusual for Icelandic Sheepdogs, but they do come it pretty much every kind of color.

A more foxy red/brown color is very typical though.
Hi%20Lydur%20Bliki%20Lukka%20juni%202011.jpg

And yes your dog does look like it got some Australian Shepard in it (and maybe German Shepard as well?).

Mgoblue201

My interest in Icelandic Sheepdogs is definitely piqued, though I also really wanted a Siberian Husky. I like their wolf-life appearance and behavior.

Siberian-husky-14077.jpg

Mgoblue201 said:
My interest in Icelandic Sheepdogs is definitely piqued, though I also really wanted a Siberian Husky. I like their wolf-life appearance and behavior.

Siberian-husky-14077.jpg
Heh funny that you mention that as I've said the same thing(probably in this thread). Me and my gf was crazy into the Siberian Husky look, just from judging dogs on their appearance we really wanted to have a dog as close as wolf as possible. But us being first time dog owners it would have been such a stupid move and we obviously had to comprise and get a dog that would be easier to handle/towards other beings.

We kinda tell ourselves that the Icelandic Sheepdog is a lab in the shape of a husky :p

Piecake

Mgoblue201 said:

Yea, I also think Spitz type dogs look the best, and that Iceland sheepdog seems to be a perfect size and has a great personality. I think that might be the dog I get if I get one and go pure breed.

NH Apache

Banned
Mgoblue201 said:

6ib7nn.jpg
Look up english shepherds. Looks like my dog.

Oppo

Saw a King Malamute on the weekend, had never seen one of those before. Probably the closest thing I've seen to a real life Dire Wolf, outside of one actual half-wolf mix I met once.

Anyways those dogs are huge. Basically looks like a Great Dane-sized Husky. Was really nice too. I'd hate to have to pick up after one of those, you'd be 2-handing it every time :)

Mgoblue201

Metroid Killer said:
Heh funny that you mention that as I've said the same thing(probably in this thread). Me and my gf was crazy into the Siberian Husky look, just from judging dogs on their appearance we really wanted to have a dog as close as wolf as possible. But us being first time dog owners it would have been such a stupid move and we obviously had to comprise and get a dog that would be easier to handle/towards other beings.

We kinda tell ourselves that the Icelandic Sheepdog is a lab in the shape of a husky :p
How many dogs do you currently have, or is it just that one?
Gonaria said:
Yea, I also think Spitz type dogs look the best, and that Iceland sheepdog seems to be a perfect size and has a great personality. I think that might be the dog I get if I get one and go pure breed.
Though I like the shepherd breeds, Spitz type dogs also hold a certain appeal. I like dogs to be intelligence, athletic and highly energetic.
NH Apache said:
Look up english shepherds. Looks like my dog.
A lot of English Shepherds I've seen have a lot of white mixed in or have a strictly black face/brown snout with brown spots above their eyes. The facial structure is also somewhat different. But the resemblance is there.

Two more pictures:

nz1xxs.jpg

fav38j.jpg

hey guys, my gf and I are trying to get a picture of our dog, Gunnar in the local paper. basically the top 100 vote getters will get published, and there are about 1500 dogs that have been entered. it just takes a quick moment to register and you can vote an unlimited amount of times (one dog already has 50000+ votes!), we would really appreciate your help!

the OC Register My Dog's Face contest 2011 Please click vote, and search for Gunnar from Irvine.

here's the submitted photo:
PHOTO-37694-10999720P.jpg

kevo_huevo said:
hey guys, my gf and I are trying to get a picture of our dog, Gunnar in the local paper. basically the top 100 vote getters will get published, and there are about 1500 dogs that have been entered. it just takes a quick moment to register and you can vote an unlimited amount of times (one dog already has 50000+ votes!), we would really appreciate your help!

the OC Register My Dog's Face contest 2011 Please click vote, and search for Gunnar from Irvine.

here's the submitted photo:
PHOTO-37694-10999720P.jpg

Hahahaha... every other dog has like 0 or 1 vote at the most... then .. Gunnar ... 315 votes.

This is my Chow Chow. Her name is Marzipan and I cannot begin to describe the joy she brings to my life.

IMG_0531.jpg

marzgaf2.jpg

de6aa157a9454eb1ae982f129073d822_7.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

a0dea4853e3a425b8e0113e96570da4a_7.jpg

I have stupid amounts of cute pictures, but I will restrain myself.

Alucrid

Banned
ohhthegore said:
Some new pics of my dog Fangs, he's a french Bulldog

251497_140737556014716_104798262941979_264774_4774912_n.jpg

251497_140737552681383_104798262941979_264773_3000270_n.jpg

LOL. I would totally get one just to laugh at its face. Would you mind if I used the second picture as my Steam photo ID?

MidnightScott said:
317283_10150284287246646_685251645_8335866_1932622203_n.jpg

Shadow just came down stairs a little while ago and jumped in my lap. So I snapped a pic with my webcam. But the lighting is bad. But alas, it is now my desktop background. I love Shadow so much ^_^
That looks like my dog Bear. Though Bear's furrier since he's got some Chow in him.

BdoUK

Here are some pics of my four year old Labrador Enzo at the local Dog Paddle. One of the city pools allows dogs to come in and swim each year before the pool is drained for the winter. It's become a yearly event for us and is a ton of fun for the hundreds of dogs that attend.

1fhf2r.jpg

ka349f.jpg

4g5jiq.jpg

13z255j.jpg

D6AMIA6N

The Albatross said:
Hahahaha... every other dog has like 0 or 1 vote at the most... then .. Gunnar ... 315 votes.

Boston Terrier GAF Represent!

I just wanted to chime in, and see how it is going with Duncan. You are right that the breeder gave you your pup too early, 6-8 weeks is a minimum usually. Just be sure to socialize him and he will be a happy loyal pup.

Regarding food, our 3 BT's eat Nutro Max. It is quality food and not too expensive, about $30 or so for a 30lb bag I believe. It will keep his turd solid and his coat shiny.

Regarding the crate, when I was a kid we had BT's in my family, but not once were they crate trained. However, after growing up and raising my own dogs, the crate is the best way to train a dog. It gives them a sense of security, and they will learn to love having their own "bedroom". When Duncan goes in it for the night, he needs to stay in it for the night, except to go outside an use the bathroom, just as you are doing.

Duncan is just a puppy and all his behavior is totally normal, I can speak firsthand of the long sleepless shitty crate covered nights. Maybe take him outside like 2x per night, then one, then once later in the night, until finally it is phased out. Just keep taking him out at least once in the middle of the night, and soon you and Dunc will be waking up to clean crates every morning!

Dunc will be house trained in no time, and then you will both be sleeping better! Hang in there!

IMACOMPUTA

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Mr. Cooper--

200316_543707226209_20ak4q.jpg
230105_546736211099_2018wz.jpg
227968_546736256009_201jf5.jpg

207905_544082479199_202os6.jpg
216073_544082559039_20cq6w.jpg

311585_555553770639_20jkph.jpg

297371_556271751799_20bjo8.jpg

292089_556271622059_20r8oi.jpg

263393_554398500809_2098oa.jpg

304976_556271666969_208jy4.jpg

img_1630ij90.jpg

He was found with 5 other litter mates in a barn in Texas. The mom had stopped feeding them and they had been eating wood.
A rescue around here (northern Illinois) found out about them while rescuing other dogs in the area and brought them back here.
I found them on petfinder.com and got Mr. Cooper!
They all had some pretty bad digestive issues (woodchips in their stool, really REALLY bad worms, etc.) and one of the puppies didn't make it :(

Apparently he's a Golden Retriever/Boxer mix.. but we were told the puppies were found with only their mom (boxer) so i don't really know how they would know for sure that the father was a golden retriever.. We're thinking they might have just claimed that they were goldens in hopes that they'd get adopted.. He doesn't really look like a golden to me.

What do you guys think he is? He looks identical to this Rhodesian Ridgeback/Boxer mix that I found on google:
mutt-rhodesian-ridgeback-boxer-mix.jpg

IMACOMPUTA

Professor Fog said:
Picked up my 2nd dog 3 weeks ago. Had a deposit on the litter for over a year. Eilah is a German Shorthaired Pointer, and she is an absolute sweetheart.

11.jpg
I really like this little guy :)

Pollux

IMACOMPUTA said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Mr. Cooper--
*snip*

What do you guys think he is? He looks identical to this Rhodesian Ridgeback/Boxer mix that I found on google:
mutt-rhodesian-ridgeback-boxer-mix.jpg

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are the best dogs ever. Had one when i was a kid, Snickers. Chillest dog I've ever known. RIP dude.

I moved away from my mother a month ago and I miss our dog a lot. Was great visiting home though after about a week and the beagle just jumping around in happiness, was like it hadn't seen me for years.

f0nz0

Tid8H.jpg

This is cooper, Aussie/golden retriever mix, a little over 7months old, awesome lil guy, loves swimming in the river and tearing up my backyard, had him since he was about 7 weeks old

slider

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
What type of dog is this? Don't know shit about dogs. Been wanting to get one for months now, just don't know where to start. I'll probably wait until next summer at this point, don't want to get one right before winter when we'd be stuck inside for the first months.

I want something medium size. No little rats or giant monsters. Something known to be good with kids (don't have any, but have nieces and nephews around constantly). Also, I have one cat. I figure that won't be a huge issue since I want to get a puppy (or close to) so it'll grow up with the cat around and the cat is great around everything on earth. Want something newbie friendly (easier to train). I have way more free time then most so I'll be able to really train them. Would also prefer something with a thinner coat. No big bushy guys.

So. What do you suggest Gaf?

It looks like a Vizsla to me but I could be wrong.

Based on your post above I'd really recommend a Weimaraner. But... they can be stubborn so training may cause you issues if you don't have a lot of experience with dogs. They're absolutely great family pets IMO. Have a look at the Wiki page and see what you think. I'd generally agree with most of the info on that page but mine has had no issues at all with kids. In fact he loves being with children. I'm convinced their shorter heights makes him more comfortable; like he's in a pack or something.

They do need a lot of exercise though. Here's a of pic of mine. I really should take more of him.

2wd2e6b.jpg

Wolf

GO HABS GO
OP has been updated.

A few shots of Wolf n Rogue battling it out from a few months ago

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

They play rough but still do plenty of laying around together

IMG_8649.jpg

Top Bottom