• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump picks billionaire Betsy DeVos to be education secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

faint.

speaking outta both sides of her mouth. She is on the board of directors for the foundation Jeb Bush founded to push Common Core

http://www.excelined.org/board-corner/board-of-directors/

Not trying to play devil's advocate here, but on the site you're quoting she says this:

"Certainly. I am not a supporter—period.

I do support high standards, strong accountability, and local control. When Governors such as John Engler, Mike Huckabee, and Mike Pence were driving the conversation on voluntary high standards driven by local voices, it all made sense.

Have organizations that I have been a part of supported Common Core? Of course. But that’s not my position. Sometimes it’s not just students who need to do their homework."

can we refill the swamp?

i don't like what's coming out of it

Don't you know that every horrible monster and devil comes out when the swamp is emptied; they are just hiding at the bottom waiting for the day they can unleash their fury on all the unsuspecting people. The swamp was keeping them in check, and now? We screwed..

MrBadger

So have any of Trump's picks been good? Even just one? All I'm seeing is a bunch of climate change denying homophobes, then people like this.

Absinthe

She wants to take money from public schools and put it in private schools.

Regardless of whether you support her or not, this is not what the voucher system is.

The voucher program allows a tax payer to take the taxes you pay for school and put it towards your child's education if they go to a private school.

TBH this makes sense if you choose not to use the public school system.

Opto

Banned
Regardless of whether you support her or not, this is not what the voucher system is.

The voucher program allows you as a tax payer to take the taxes you pay for school and put it towards your child's education if they go to a private school.

Do you not see how that's just a means to get to complete private school?

Blader

LOL - many are, it's true. However, the one I was involved in had a great mission of true Spanish immersion and motivated core of local parents. It's been successful for over a decade.

Some districts are corrupt and the public dollars deserve to be squeezed out of them to community charter schools. It's not as simple as district=good / charter=bad.
If public school systems are corrupt, then clean them up. Taking money away to give to charter schools will only make the public schools worse.

Grym

Not trying to play devil's advocate here, but on the site you're quoting she says this:

hence speaking out of both sides of her mouth

"Of course I don't support Common Core. I'm merely on the board of the organization that has pushed its agenda from the beginning."

The voucher program allows a tax payer to take the taxes you pay for school and put it towards your child's education if they go to a private school.

TBH this makes sense if you choose not to use the public school system.

This is pretty much just a backdoor into completely eroding the public school system.

I'll say I'm sort of a hypocrite on this issue as I attended a charter school that definitely took a lot of resources away from the local public school system. We got a much better education than everyone else, but it's horrendous that your fate was essentially decided by the luck of the draw. The system also preferentially allowed the family members of current students to get selected first.

Absinthe

Do you not see how that's just a means to get to complete private school?

This is pretty much just a backdoor into completely eroding the public school system.

I'll say I'm sort of a hypocrite on this issue as I attended a charter school that definitely took a lot of resources away from the local public school system. We got a much better education than everyone else, but it's horrendous that your fate was essentially decided by the luck of the draw. The system also preferentially allowed the family members of current students to get selected first.

I don't buy it. This is the same "slippery slope" argument republicans have been making for years on issues they disagree with... "Don't let homosexuals marry, then you'll have people marrying animals!!"

Not everyone will take their tax dollars and put them towards private schools because it's not even close to enough to cover the actual costs.

The ability to transfer your own tax dollars to a different school is completely logical considering you're paying for you child's education. If you as a parent see private school as more beneficial to then that money should follow them to that school.

I don't buy it. This is the same jump republicans have been making for years on issues they disagree with... "Don't let homosexuals marry, then you'll have people marrying animals!!"

Not everyone will take their tax dollars and put them towards private schools because it's not even close to enough to cover the actual costs.

The ability to transfer your own tax dollars to a different school is completely logical considering you're paying for you child's education. If you as a parent see private school as more beneficial to then that money should follow them to that school.

How do vouchers impact people that don't have kids? Can I elect to have my taxes go to some other public fund instead of education if I don't have any kids?

aeolist

Banned
I don't buy it. This is the same jump republicans have been making for years on issues they disagree with... "Don't let homosexuals marry, then you'll have people marrying animals!!"

your taxes pay for EVERYONE'S public schooling because it's a collective good. we're all better off when kids get universal education.

do you think people with no kids should be exempt from taxes that pay for schools?

FyreWulff

I don't buy it. This is the same "slippery slope" argument republicans have been making for years on issues they disagree with... "Don't let homosexuals marry, then you'll have people marrying animals!!"

It's not a slippery slope, it's already happened in certain school districts. Parents pull their kids out of public schools and into private schools, taking money from the poorer schools, creating a feedback loop of the poorer schools getting poorer and the richer schools getting richer.

This country is so fucked up, the quality of education you get is pretty much determined by which address you live at. People should know how fucking wrong that is.

Absinthe

How do vouchers impact people that don't have kids? Can I elect to have my taxes go to some other public fund instead of education if I don't have any kids?

I'm not sure on the actual impact of this. My opinion would be vouchers would only apply if one had a child much like the actual tax deductions for having children apply.

your taxes pay for EVERYONE'S public schooling because it's a collective good. we're all better off when kids get universal education.

do you think people with no kids should be exempt from taxes that pay for schools?

Do you think those kids going to a private school is not furthering the collective good?

There would be less kids in public school if they transferred to private so therefore the costs would lower as well and classrooms less crowded.

It's not a slippery slope, it's already happened in certain school districts. Parents pull their kids out of public schools and into private schools, taking money from the poorer schools, creating a feedback loop of the poorer schools getting poorer and the richer schools getting richer.

This country is so fucked up, the quality of education you get is pretty much determined by which address you live at. People should know how fucking wrong that is.

And I agree, that is wrong and needs to be solved, but to tell a person that their tax dollars have to go to a public school their child does not attend is wrong as well IMO.

Also, parents can go a long ways towards giving their children more education. The amount of information freely available to parents that want to invest in their child's education is astounding. TBH you should never solely rely on a school system to thoroughly educate your children and those that do are doing their children a disservice.

This also brings up another issue. A lot of public schools are over capacity already and don't get extra funding for having extra students. But those schools lose funding when kids go to other schools meanwhile still being over capacity and not getting the full funding for the students they already have.

Wouldn't the number of students decrease as they migrate to private schools?

This also brings up another issue. A lot of public schools are over capacity already and don't get extra funding for having extra students. But those schools lose funding when kids go to other schools meanwhile still being over capacity and not getting the full funding for the students they already have.

commedieu

Banned
Her brother is Erik Prince, the founder of Blackwater, a notorious mercenary company. Her father-in-law, Richard DeVos, co-founded Amway ‒ a multi-level marketing company that mainly sells health, beauty and home care products ‒ and also owns the Orlando Magic basketball team in Florida.

aeolist

Banned
Do you think those kids going to a private school is not furthering the collective good?

There would be less kids in public school if they transferred to private so therefore the costs would lower as well and classrooms less crowded.

your question is irrelevant and your statement is misguided. schools need a minimum level of funding to function and removing kids past that point does not magically make them cheaper. the solution to overcrowding isn't charter schools, it's building more public facilities.

the natural end point for the charter system is higher-income kids in better schools and poor kids in the crumbling decayed ruins of the public system because they either can't afford to use their voucher on a charter slot or their kid was denied for one reason or another. it exacerbates the class divide at a time when we need to be moving in the other direction.

and you didn't answer my question. i don't have kids, should i be allowed to redirect my property taxes to something else?

These dumb asses don't understand it's class warfare going on, but they too busy feeling good about getting to be racist in the open.

Like forreal, where the hell did we go wrong. Do most people not even have decency. This is the petty shit that will doom us.

pompidu

Are people really advocating takin tax dollars and giving them directly to corporations?

Could be a second wind for ITT tech.

Boney

Banned
Fuck if she wants to move to a voucher system she might as well appear on tv telling people she'll rape your babies.

We're still trying to recover from it here as it has done massive damage to our population and working force.

Wouldn't the number of students decrease as they migrate to private schools?

You're missing the point. The district my wife teaches in right now is over 2000 kids over capacity. The schools districts gets a set amount of money regardless of being over capacity but if 500 of that 2000 suddenly go to a charter school the district loses 500 kids worth of funding meanwhile they still have 1500 more kids than they were originally funded for anyways.

Also the charter schools can freely select who they admit and don't admit and can also freely let kids go. 9/10 they come back to public schools underperforming and it then reflects poorly on the public schools who then get less funding due to test scores.

This is literally a whole web of issues it's not just good schools/bad schools more kids/less kids.

manakel

Though anecdotal - I currently work at one of the top public school districts in my state. We constantly get students coming in from charter schools throughout the area. A lot of them are then referred for special education services because they simply were not taught the appropriate curriculum at their charter school and they are so far behind grade level.

Charter schools aren't the answer.

FyreWulff

You're missing the point. The district my wife teaches in right now is over 2000 kids over capacity. The schools districts gets a set amount of money regardless of being over capacity but if 500 of that 2000 suddenly go to a charter school the district loses 500 kids worth of funding meanwhile they still have 1500 more kids than they were originally funded for anyways.

Also the charter schools can freely select who they admit and don't admit and can also freely let kids go. 9/10 they come back to public schools underperforming and it then reflects poorly on the public schools who then get less funding due to test scores.

This is literally a whole web of issues it's not just good schools/bad schools more kids/less kids.

Yeah, people forget about this part. Charter schools fluff their numbers by getting rid of underperforming kids.

ecnal

tbh, this sounds quite a bit like hyperbole...

there isn't any conclusive - widely accepted - evidence that suggests school voucher programs result in the feedback loop you suggest.

support for vouchers is also non-partisan, generally speaking -- cory booker ran and supports a school voucher program in newark.

commedieu

Banned
Though anecdotal - I currently work at one of the top public school districts in my state. We constantly get students coming in from charter schools throughout the area. A lot of them are then referred for special education services because they simply were not taught the appropriate curriculum at their charter school and they are so far behind grade level.

Charter schools aren't the answer.

But they are more profitable. Which is the point it seems.

Absinthe

your question is irrelevant and your statement is misguided. schools need a minimum level of funding to function and removing kids past that point does not magically make them cheaper. the solution to overcrowding isn't charter schools, it's building more public facilities.

the natural end point for the charter system is higher-income kids in better schools and poor kids in the crumbling decayed ruins of the public system because they either can't afford to use their voucher on a charter slot or their kid was denied for one reason or another. it exacerbates the class divide at a time when we need to be moving in the other direction.

and you didn't answer my question. i don't have kids, should i be allowed to redirect my property taxes to something else?

I would say that any time you increase the number of children in a school you also increase the amount of funds required for said school, same rules would apply in a decrease. (My Mom's a teacher and has been for ~15 years)

As for the second question, I am a little unsure because it seems unfair that you would have to pay taxes when you do not have children yet I'm sure we all agree it's good for society as a whole to have education.

For example you do not get a tax deduction for not having children but I get one because I had two. Is it fair for me to get that tax deduction and you to get nothing just because you chose to not have children?

Then the system is broken and more should be done about that. If they need to increase taxes overall then do so and do so in a way that supports the voucher system for those that want to have the opportunity to put their money towards a different school system.

aeolist

Banned
charter schools also greatly underserve special needs students, which adds to the problem. they only have to take care of the least expensive sections of the student population, which leaves the costliest kids in underfunded public systems.

Are people really advocating takin tax dollars and giving them directly to corporations?

Could be a second wind for ITT tech.

Yeah, this. Expect for-profits to come back in this space, only with different names and slightly different tactics. Too much money to be made. Look for those same groups to expand into charter schools through different fronts (with the same backers behind it) and look for parochial schools to try to get their hands on that sweet sweet government pie.

Expect most appointments and policy (until he stops caring) to be all about finding ways to shovel taxpayer money to business interests with as little oversight as possible.

BlitzKeeg

And I agree, that is wrong and needs to be solved, but to tell a person that their tax dollars have to go to a public school their child does not attend is wrong as well IMO.

My tax dollars are put towards a military that is over-funded and a social security system I will never benefit from thanks to the baby boomers bankrupting it by the time I finally get around to using it. I have no problem paying into social programs even though I may never directly benefit because I know they are for the greater good.

I don't plan on having a kid, but I will vote "yes" to maintain/increase my local school boards budget every year because it is the future of this nation.

The GOP wants to wage war on education in the US in order to further their conservative cause, which is unacceptable. Equal access to quality education is what people deserve.

aeolist

Banned
I would say that any time you increase the number of children in a school you also increase the amount of funds required for said school, same rules would apply in a decrease. (My Mom's a teacher and has been for ~15 years)

As for the second question, I am a little unsure because it seems unfair that you would have to pay taxes when you do not have children yet I'm sure we all agree it's good for society as a whole to have education.

For example you do not get a tax deduction for not having children but I get one because I had two. Is it fair for me to get that tax deduction and you to get nothing just because you chose to not have children?

tax credits are government incentives for certain behavior, like giving to charity. the state has a vested interest in continuing to replenish its population, so tax credits for having kids makes sense.

and again, taxes are intended to pay for collective goods. it's in everyone's interest to have things like a military, roads, and school systems. you should not get to only pay for the things you like, it entirely defeats the purpose.

Boney

Banned
tbh, this sounds quite a bit like hyperbole...

there isn't any conclusive - widely accepted - evidence that suggests school voucher programs result in the feedback loop you suggest.

support for vouchers is also non-partisan, generally speaking -- cory booker ran and supports a school voucher program in newark.
There's massive evidence based studies on how it makes public schools underperform because they only have to worry about minimum standards

pompidu

Yeah, this. Expect for-profits to come back in this space, only with different names and slightly different tactics. Too much money to be made. Look for those same groups to expand into charter schools through different fronts (with the same backers behind it) and look for parochial schools to try to get their hands on that sweet sweet government pie.

Expect most appointments and policy (until he stops caring) to be all about finding ways to shovel taxpayer money to business interests with as little oversight as possible.

Literally College education 2.0 where everyone is gonna half to take out loans to get an education.

Country is being run by scam artists looking to rob you.

Absinthe

My tax dollars are put towards a military that is over-funded and a social security system I will never benefit from thanks to the baby boomers bankrupting it by the time I finally get around to using it. I have no problem paying into social programs even though I may never directly benefit because I know they are for the greater good.

I don't plan on having a kid, but I will vote "yes" to maintain/increase my local school boards budget every year because it is the future of this nation.

The GOP wants to wage war on education in the US in order to further their conservative cause, which is unacceptable. Equal access to quality education is what people deserve.

Sending your child to a different school is still for the greater good because that child will get an education, more often, a better one.

And good on you for voting yest to maintain/increase the school budgets. I also do the same/did the same when I was unmarried without children.

tax credits are government incentives for certain behavior, like giving to charity. the state has a vested interest in continuing to replenish its population, so tax credits for having kids makes sense.

and again, taxes are intended to pay for collective goods. it's in everyone's interest to have things like a military, roads, and school systems. you should not get to only pay for the things you like, it entirely defeats the purpose.

And giving your child a better education is for the collective good, also, I agree in taxes for all of those above.

Let me be clear, I have nothing against the public education system, in fact, like I stated above, my Mother is a teacher and has been over 15 years.

aeolist

Banned
Literally College education 2.0 where everyone is gonna half to take out loans to get an education.

Country is being run by scam artists looking to rob you.

it's almost like unrestrained capitalism naturally funnels money from the general populace as they're driven ever deeper into poverty and into the hands of a select few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom