• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

When I start a game I usually look at the rest of my teams profiles to see how badly im going to lose. If he has Pudge or Invoker as his most played and calls mid before everyone has even loaded in I just know im going to have a bad game.

I know Hylian loves Pudge and always jumps in to defend the hero, but man most Pudge players are pants on head retarded and should be playing hard support, not mid

Pudge is very much like Riki psychologically. For many players, once you hit the magic level of 6, their entire thought process about the game changes from continuing to farm creeps for item progression to attempting to farm heroes for end-game. And so quite often, Riki's and Pudges end up roaming as soon as they hit 6. And if they don't get any kills...well...minutes fly off the clock faster than they tend to realize. Then they look up at 20 minutes and realize they only have 60cs and poor items and decide to spend a little more time farming....before going right back to the aimless roaming and praying for ganks to work that put them behind in the first place.

Being disciplined and efficient with those heroes are uniquely challenging because those heroes *want* you to go out and kill someone. Or at leas try to as often as possible. But the oft unseen consequences of that rather inviting style of play manifest as a lack of cs and items...and frustrated teammates at the site of an under-leveled, under-farmed teammate in a critical position on the team (mid/carry).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
thanks for this confirmation. Knowing my luck, that woulda been me.

Also, regarding that rare Venge set, both the wings and head piece have multiple styles. I didn't see them in our boy Cyborg Matt's Blog post, so I'm presenting below:

Helm Styles

Wings Styles

Also, Doom's F2P head piece has 2 styles to it.

The venge set is made of fucking win. Open Doom mask is my preferred look.

$0.02
I'm going to buy literally every Venge cosmetic that gets put in game.

They still haven't removed the old Bonelord set from the store, but it seems buying it just gives you the Wraithlord set without the loading screen.

They should probably remove it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I decided to open up a Gemstone Cache since you now get 3 gems. Got Wolves Summoned, Multi-Hero Earthshock, and Couriers Purchased.

> I immediately regret my decision.

Also, I really want Bonelord as a style. Volve plz.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You never know though. I once supported a bloodseeker as Shadow shaman. The guy was scared to take last hits (he had 1 point in his first passive), dove 2 towers straight, died repeatedly and ended up carrying our team.

You never know whats going to happen in each game, or when the enemy team will outretard yours.

Its players like that that make me wonder about the MMR system. Like, everyone has their off games sure, but by a certain level shouldn't a rudimentary osmosis of how to play different roles and basic map awareness percolate through?

Kind of on topic of this (and the other post). I still feel like I always have trouble with camera control, especially when things get frantic.

Honestly, I think that is the root of all my problems. It probably wasn't as obvious with Pudge, but on a hero like Storm Spirit or Magnus, I always have trouble with long camera movement fights. Just go watch any Storm game with player perspective and you can see that probably 90% of my fights end with my hero off edge of the screen. I've always found it so cumbersome to move the camera in these kinds of games and I don't know why. When I used to play StarCraft, I was so bad at it. Clicking on the minimal always felt obtuse where I could never do it quick enough and was always "scrambling" to do it.

It's why I don't look at other lanes much because I'm afraid I'll lose control of the camera and whiff last hits, or even worse, die.

So I guess my question is how the hell do you get to where controlling the camera doesn't feel cumbersome?

I don't know if it's because I've played a lot of first person shooters but I always try to place the camera that gives me the most time to react to something which also requires the least amount of character movement.

I'm probably watching my mini-map 90% of the time when in the laning phase whilst I'm playing support so I can call things out immediately, be it players missing on my lane or others, ensuring to see the runes etc.

Say if I'm farming top lane and there's an SB in the game, I'll place the camera so that I'm almost in the opposite corner as to where SB would be charging from.

But also, it's game sense in a way, if you know someone has just tp-ed somewhere you know they're unlikely to walk across the map to follow you if you tp somewhere else. If someone dies in mid or any other lane, I'm almost tp-ing in, not only to stop the creep wave but also wanting to get some xp and gold in the meantime.

What I noticed with you Hylian is that you never click on your opponent in mid, you never check to see how many bottle charges they have for example. If they're using their bottle, I want to know if I can go on them, force a couple of autoattacks on them just to get them low enough that they're out of the lane. It's not necessarily about kills, it's about farming properly and ensuring you have creep control. Or if they're light on regen as they're wanting to rush a fast bottle, you want to hurt them to make it hard for them to get those last hits.

If the dude is low, has no charges and it's coming up for rune time, you have to ensure you're contesting it, be it autoattacks as they go to get it or even taking it yourself.

Sensitivity with the camera is important but that's something you have to practice in game with, hence why I always suggest you play some non-ranked, try a new hero and get used to do some other things that you're not comfortable doing.

Anyway, it's just practice in other roles in other lanes with different settings that will aid you. Banging your head against a brick wall isn't working whatsoever.

I will say this to all of GAF, I think we should do more to support people if they're streaming. If someone posts a link and you're able to do so, have it playing in the background.

If you do watch, offer advice or whatever. Just think it's a shame that we have one of the most active thread on neogaf and no presence on twitch/youtube whatsoever. I'm not suggesting there should be IHL and whatnot, but just seems weird with everyone else creating dota 2 content and the like, we're completely lacking on that front.

Volodja

I always double tap my hero key, you have probably noticed how much I do it on my stream. It is generally everything else that gives me problems. Clicking on the minimap is a big one for some reason.
You just gotta keep trying. With time it becomes more natural.
Clicking on every enemy that shows up on the minimap is important for every hero and every role to know what's going on, if they have tps, how much farm, hp, mana or whatever. Especially in 1v1 situations where runes are involved.

Boken

Banned
what items should i check for when im deciding whether to gank a lane or not?

also, having watched a few hylian7 games myself, i cant agree more. i thought it was really weird that he spends his time roaming 24/7 after the 8 minute mark, not even bothering to spend time in lane to push it out whenever he checks runes etc

but most glaringly, hylian, you have a terrible, terrible attitude. you are incredibly negative and defeatist. you constantly moan about your team and focus on their mistakes or misfortunes rather than formulating a path to victory.

I still don't like this chest for new sets thing. Sets sell fine on the store on their own, chests should be for single items that can't be put on the shop (unless it's a bundle that's happened twice in 2 years of workshop items).

Kind of seems unfair to the piles of single items on the workshop, since they can't be on the store, but sets can. By Valve's own admission some of the most popular cosmetics were one off items in chests.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I don't think it's possible for Valve to make you happy, you were upset when you couldn't complete a set and upset that they give you an entire set.

Calidor

So apparently iceiceice (batrider) bought a second courier after 20 mins in the Star ladders finals against iG and used it with him all game to scout for ganks...

that's some next level shit man

I don't think it's possible for Valve to make you happy, you were upset when you couldn't complete a set and upset that they give you an entire set.

I don't like random lottery barriers to buy stuff I voted on the workshop for. I also like single items and don't see the point in putting items that would sell anyway into a chest when there are literally thousands of items that cannot sell unless in a chest, waiting to be added.

How about Valve increases drops of things rather than more crates.

Or Valve increases the chances of you finding a set if you have the other constituent parts.

Or Valve offering a nice price on sets.

shira

So apparently iceiceice (batrider) bought a second courier after 20 mins in the Star ladders finals against iG and used it with him all game to scout for ganks...

Incoming EE buying 2 couriers and forcing aui2000 to scout out his ganks

He was constantly using it.

Witch Doctor ulti killed Chuan's sand king in the tree line by t3 bot radiant tower, Winter thought the courier gave the vision for it to hit.

Iceiceice is just incredible. The amount of blink in forcestaffs just to save Burning was amazing.

inkls

Its players like that that make me wonder about the MMR system. Like, everyone has their off games sure, but by a certain level shouldn't a rudimentary osmosis of how to play different roles and basic map awareness percolate through?

I'd say that because of the complexity of the game, its hard to truly match up people based on their skill level. Someone might have extremely good mechanics, but horrible game knowledge, so they'll get to a certain rank and then stay stuck there because of that.

You need to soak up alot of information to really be good at the game, people don't have the same quantity of knowledge in all fields. Heck, yesterday I had a game with an IO (I picked Chaos Knight thinking he'd come safelane with me) who ditched me to go with alch hardlane and get mad at Doom who asked him to buy wards. Kept saying "i'm not a support". His mechanics were good (from what I saw), but his game knowledge sucked.

How about they just put all the stuff in the store so someone who wants to buy something can do so instead of making people play the lottery.

Oh wait, I forgot, because Valve wants to get money out of gamblers who want to get the next big Unusual Courier.

How about they just put all the stuff in the store so someone who wants to buy something can do so instead of making people play the lottery.

Oh wait, I forgot, because Valve wants to get money out of gamblers who want to get the next big Unusual Courier.

They would never do such a thing.

Valve wouldn't be appealing to the weaknesses of people to drive a profit whatsoever.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still don't like this chest for new sets thing. Sets sell fine on the store on their own, chests should be for single items that can't be put on the shop (unless it's a bundle that's happened twice in 2 years of workshop items).

Kind of seems unfair to the piles of single items on the workshop, since they can't be on the store, but sets can. By Valve's own admission some of the most popular cosmetics were one off items in chests.
I like the sets in chest items, because it helps fix the value problem ($2.50 to get an item that is worth like $.40 is annoying, why even open them up when you can just wait a bit). Valve needs to accept more single items though. One thing valve can do is put in a dota version of the cs go sticker bubble, $.99 to open up and you get a single item. You could even stick a ton of items into I've series, like 40, and I bet people will pop them open like hot cakes and that they would keep their value.

Zeth

I'm so fucking weak.

Woke up and bought everything, lol. Only thing I skipped was the Venge set because it seems overpriced on the market. But now that I see the styles, I'll probably get it.

I like the sets in chest items, because it helps fix the value problem ($2.50 to get an item that is worth like $.40 is annoying, why even open them up when you can just wait a bit). Valve needs to accept more single items though. One thing valve can do is put in a dota version of the cs go sticker bubble, $.99 to open up and you get a single item. You could even stick a ton of items into I've series, like 40, and I bet people will pop them open like hot cakes and that they would keep their value.

They could make single item chests drop 5-6 items in one key and accept 50 of them (like you said). They accept 50-100 items per chest in TF2, so it's not unheard of.

Ikuu

There is the Market for that, most of these sets are only a little more than the price of a key.

Hylian didn't utter any racist remarks tbf. I do find the "PERUVIAN FEEDERS JAJAJAJAJAJ" stereotype among US Dota players hilarious though.

Manus

Play Treant Protector. It forces you to get good map awareness. I played him early when I started Dota and it helped me out tremendously on map awareness and watching my teammates.

Boken

Banned

errr
the items are only worth $0.40 because of gambling in the first place

by setting the rarity of items in sets, valve are knowingly setting the prices of the items - not quantitatively, but qualitatively

there is no value problem if everybody can buy the sets they want from the market

what items should i check for when im deciding whether to gank a lane or not?

also, having watched a few hylian7 games myself, i cant agree more. i thought it was really weird that he spends his time roaming 24/7 after the 8 minute mark, not even bothering to spend time in lane to push it out whenever he checks runes etc

but most glaringly, hylian, you have a terrible, terrible attitude. you are incredibly negative and defeatist. you constantly moan about your team and focus on their mistakes or misfortunes rather than formulating a path to victory.

I was watching one match where you were complaining about your team feeding and losing all the lanes when in fact only your mid lane was lost and they were crushing (you had half your teams deaths!). You also kept walking to the same spot and getting repeatedly ganked over and over... if you see there are no wards up don't just assume the enemy team won't be there, especially if they are all missing from the map. Get your support player to buy you wards and protect your jungle - especially as SF. Put down sentries at the ward spots if the enemy team has shadowblades/invis skills. You get picked off in your jungle too often.

(this is to hylian btw)

Boken

Banned
I was watching one match where you were complaining about your team feeding and losing all the lanes when in fact only your mid lane was lost and they were crushing (you had half your teams deaths!). You also kept walking to the same spot and getting repeatedly ganked over and over... if you see there are no wards up don't just assume the enemy team won't be there, especially if they are all missing from the map. Get your support player to buy you wards and protect your jungle - especially as SF. Put down sentries at the ward spots if the enemy team has shadowblades/invis skills. You get picked off in your jungle too often.

but i dont play SF

Ikuu

Just remember to always be positive to your team:

FubYWag.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They could make single item chests drop 5-6 items in one key and accept 50 of them (like you said). They accept 50-100 items per chest in TF2, so it's not unheard of.

Here is my full idea.

Dota 2 Item Capsule, needs a $.99 Capsule Key. It has 50 items in it, and as a hook, each item is for a different hero. All items rare, no couriers or wards. So 50 items for 50 hero, all "rare", and the items are exclusive to the Capsules. Every item will also generate with a random gem too.

And thats it. No super rare item, no unusual couriers, simple a ton of new items of the same rarity, which could help the items hold their value.

Ikuu

Can someone post the thing that keeps from miss clicking the minimap when you're trying to run away?

dota_minimap_misclick_time "0.4" // Threshold delay to accept minimap clicks (default 0.2)

Boken

Banned
dont do it ketch, it sucks.

if you have a problem with clicking on your minimap when running away, flip the side the map is on

there is a reason why lol uses the right hand side map (dota is diagonal bottom left to top right - why put map on bottom left?)

if you have a problem with clicking on your minimap when running away, flip the side the map is on

there is a reason why lol uses the right hand side map (dota is diagonal bottom left to top right - why put map on bottom left?)

Because Gen 1 Warcraft 3, bitches.

does anyone know if the free to play doc is going to be streamed somewhere, like youtube?

This is probably what you are looking for:
http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/03/the-official-free-to-play-twitch-viewing-party/

How about Valve increases drops of things rather than more crates.

Or Valve increases the chances of you finding a set if you have the other constituent parts.

Or Valve offering a nice price on sets.

Most sets have pretty nice prices compared to the direct competition. The keys for the new set chests cost like 25% of what Blizzard charges for a hero. Sure, some sets are very expensive, but I guess that is just how you create an item economy.

Besides, it's the only aspect of the game that makes the game itself profitable. They already give you everything else for free. I don't see why they should have to give that up. That's just silly.

Yeah, how dare they trying to make some profit out of completely optional and irrelevant cosmetic items after giving you everything remotely related to actual gameplay for free. Gabe Newell is literally Putin at this point. ;)

Seriously, I think it is fair to criticize the chest system, but you really can't blame them for trying to make money via cosmetic items.

So why is that 2 week old Silencer set listed as a new set on the store? I thought maybe they finally included the loading screen, but it's still not there.

Like they re-added the set for some reason and decided to just make it new. I sort of understand why the Wraith Lord is marked new, but this is a 2 week old Silencer set...

The giant dog for Chaos Knight looks hella stupid.

Something went horribly wrong with putting it in, because the contributor's screenshots make it look a lot better. He even mentioned it looks bad.

Yeah, how dare they trying to make some profit out of completely optional and irrelevant cosmetic items after giving you everything remotely related to actual gameplay for free. Gabe Newell is literally Putin at this point. ;)

Seriously, I think it is fair to criticize the chest system, but you really can't blame them for trying to make money via cosmetic items.

They can make money via selling the items.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
How fucking awful is weekday morning All Pick

CM, only support on the team, goes jungle and "rushes" a 10 minute Midas. Doesn't buy couriers or wards at any point. Weaver goes 0-8 in the first ten minutes bottom lane, which is all Pudge's fault mid for not ganking at level 3 apparently.

Ketch

Why does it suck? I always ask how to do it, and then don't because I figure it'll be better to learn the hard way, but then I misclick and get killed or f up a gank... AGAIN

If you changed the side wouldn't you just misclick while running down the river? That sounds even worse.

They can make money via selling the items.

In TF2 they sell chest items in the store after a few months at a price well above the price of a key.

But nobody in their right mind will pay 5 dollars for a "rare" Sven Sword, so maybe this wouldn't really work. They could make a chest bundle and sell it for 15 dollars though, that might work.

Top Bottom