• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

sephi22

Really loving today's patch. Bought the F2P bundle for full price and 6 of the new sets for <$10 from the market.

Got some nice mix and match going on with different sets.
Only missing the LS, Puck and VS sets now.

nT80TB6.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I never said "I'm a perfect player that doesn't make mistakes." I do, and I even admitted that a few posts up that that is the reason I lose some games, because I have bad games myself. I wish you wouldn't put words into my mouth.

I do focus on improvement, you just have no idea how incredibly frustrating it is when you get boneheaded teams that make it impossible to win, even if you were Dendi.

Don't tell meit doesn't happen.
I said this in Steam, but seriously just work on improving your game (You acknowledged mistakes), you have poor map awareness and state of the game of your team to their team. I think you tab over once or twice per game to other lanes.
Just play in 5 stacks if you want 'real competition'. I've already felt how different 5 stack play is. When you soloQ mid that is it's own game.

Bolded. I think everyone here has had those games. Goes back to the attitude and mindset. Of course I want to win. Right now winning ranked games is probably the thing stressing me out the most so I'm doing unranked AR games to get back into the mood to enjoy heroes, and if I have more time it'll be picking about 6 heroes to get good with in unranked, then use them in ranked.
12:26 AM - HylianSeven: JUANO CARRIED US
12:26 AM - HylianSeven: JUANO THE PERUVOKER (I humorously pointed out his Invoker was from Peru)
12:26 AM - Haz: wat
12:26 AM - HylianSeven: i'm joking
12:26 AM - Haz: ITS OGRE
12:26 AM - HylianSeven: that ended exactly how you would expect
12:28 AM - Haz: So in good taste
12:28 AM - Haz: I'm not going to post the image of our MMRs
12:28 AM - HylianSeven: ihatethisgameihatethisgameihatethisgame
12:29 AM - Haz: I highly suggest you work on improving your games and talking to your teammates more
12:29 AM - HylianSeven: i try
12:29 AM - HylianSeven: believe me, i try
12:29 AM - Haz: I dont believ you
12:29 AM - HylianSeven: some games are just impossible though
12:29 AM - HylianSeven: even if you are dendi
12:29 AM - Haz: I watched you for over an hour
12:29 AM - Haz: but not 20 of 25
12:29 AM - HylianSeven: you can't tell me you play perfectly either though
12:29 AM - HylianSeven is now playing Dota 2. Click here to join.
12:30 AM - HylianSeven: but believe me i am trying to improve
12:30 AM - Haz: ofc not
12:30 AM - Haz: I'm very critical of my own play
12:30 AM - Haz: http://dotabuff.com/matches/563015353
12:30 AM - Haz: i mean look at this shit
12:31 AM - Haz: you know how bad it feels to lose with aghs refresher hex
12:31 AM - HylianSeven: yeah
12:31 AM - Haz: Anyway I'd just say
12:32 AM - Haz: Talk to your teammates more
12:32 AM - Haz: check your team items and farm at least 10x more
12:32 AM - HylianSeven: but that's the thing
12:32 AM - Haz: be more map aware for missing
12:32 AM - HylianSeven: when i go to farmville
12:32 AM - HylianSeven: my teammates are like "WHY DON'T YOU GANK OR FIGHT"
12:32 AM - Haz: then just say
12:32 AM - Haz: 'my lane is doing bad i need help or im going to jungle since i need items'
12:32 AM - Haz: or w/e
12:33 AM - Haz: 'someone else take mid exp'
12:33 AM - Haz: request a smoke gank
12:33 AM - Haz: like
12:33 AM - Haz: you dont talk to your teram at all
12:33 AM - HylianSeven: i have requested smoke ganks
12:33 AM - HylianSeven: usually doesn't hapen
12:34 AM - Haz: Your mindset is just too negative
12:34 AM - Haz: When we are losing I'm thinking of ways to win
12:34 AM - Haz: sometimes it is fucked
12:34 AM - Haz: But my threshold for that is far different
12:34 AM - Haz: 2cents
I JUST WANT YOU TO GET THROUGH THIS
Iq02pPc.gif

I'm sure someone here can coach you if you want, but you have to stop defending what you do to a certain degree. If you can't look at the map if you are focused on last hitting, then that's something incredibly important to work on.
Especially now since my MMR is higher than yours.

Kreunt

Banned
I don't know how you do it. I don't find 200 ping to be playable on any game myself. That really sucks for you guys.

you adapt to it pretty easily for somethings, last hitting for example, you just get used to doing it x amount of ms earlier.
skill shots can be considerably harder though.

n0b

http://dotabuff.com/matches/568739963

Take this one for example. Sure, I made mistakes, sure, I missed a hook here and there. But all things considered, I think I did pretty well myself. Now look at the team. Vanguard Doom, Invoker who doesn't know how to Invoke things, the Axe...There was no way I could salvage this one by myself. Don't tell meit doesn't happen.

-You instalocked pudge and rushed for solo mid.
+you get a good creep block
-Despite creep block lane advantage, you give away HALF of your health as pudge in order to use rot to attempt to contest last hits. (and get none of them)
+you properly look at the situation bottom (luna had regen) and just return to lane, and get a messy kill
-you don't commit to your first storm kill attempt (you should have died because of that)
+you observe that the storm is awful and take the kill he gives you
+you rotate bottom and help weaver kill luna
-you haven't bought the flying courier or any wards despite being able to observe that nobody on your team is going to get them if they haven't by now.
-starting at around the 4.5 minute mark you start spending too much time roaming without first clicking on a lane or rune and seeing what can be achieved
-6 minutes in you've only clicked on top and bottom lanes once
+you again pick on two absent minded players
-you don't make the obvious advantage out of your first pickoff top (which your team obviously thought you would) when you have a double damage and a creep wave
+you get a few more kills
-you literally miss two last hits on a double creep wave then give up, guess rune wrong (while a catapult is attacking your tower, after having killed your lane opponent) and then run all the way back to the other rune
-8 minutes in you still haven't even attempted to rectify the warding and courier situation
-you don't even go TRY for the kill on storm when he uses all of his mana to try to zip away from you and axe, even though you have creep aggro so there is literally no way you couldn't get the deny after attempting the kill
-continue wandering aimlessly, without ever clicking on enemy lanes to see whether a lane can or should be ganked
- after a minute of ass walking till you decide to tp for a solo gank on three heroes change your mind, and then wander mid (without even looking at what is happening with your two teammates that followed you there at full health and mana against a set of three low hp pool heroes with no ults or disables left, which should have been food for you, when you could have at the very least dropped a lane ward behind the luna to keep tabs on her since she had been steamrolling,
- again spend more time mindlessly wandering, get back to bot lane, then hook elder titan 1v4 (when two of his teammates have ults back up in all the time you were wandering, when he has the same hp pool as you, when he actually will die slower to your rot than you will because of his aura, when he is the only hero in the lane WITHOUT a long range disable.)
- storm caught back up to you at 12 minutes because he actually used his time on the map efficiently
- you drop a lane control ward mid after you've lost your tower and the laning stage is over, instead of warding the jungle where luna will be spending 80% of her time because she 1.took down bottom tower so can't safely farm lane when its not pushed out and 2. because you would have noticed she had helm and therefore intended to farm jungle stacks if you ever clicked on her
-after walking into lane blindly (to a lane in which one of the tankiest heroes on your team just died to a multi-person gank) you manage to get one assist (so what, the "invoker who doesn't know how to invoke" got two kills)
- I have yet to see you use your time dead to actually look at the map
- you spend 30 seconds sitting in base doing nothing and looking at nothing, you haven't change the item build you're going for (blink, when the enemy, obviously is coming AT you, and when they have veno luna storm titan; you know things that building a pipe might be useful for, or hell at least a casual cloak)
-you walk uphill blindly when the other team had JUST taken your tier one top and your team, seeing you as a leader (because you started the game off well, fancy that) follows YOUR lead once again and dies for it.
- more mindless wandering, you haven't killed a creep in something like 8 minutes
+ you get a kill mid
-you ignore the fact that the teammate of the person you killed was being flanked by your team until its too late, then after they SHOULD be safe you walk river low ground instead of with them to make sure they are ok, walk all the way to the other runespot and get killed for it instead of just retreating with your team
+ you get a kill
+ you kill some creeps! you are almost at the 1 creep a minute mark
- you stare at nothing while your team is fighting RIGHT NEXT TO YOU
- you have been passed by weaver in net worth despite him feeding constantly and you starting 7-0
- while sitting around doing nothing you waste bottle regen that you could have saved for later
- you call G fucking G when your team just pulled out an initially lost fight into a 3-2 trade in your favor, ending a beyond godlike streak
+ you use an urn charge at 24 minutes in! Only 6 to go!
- you queue up aghs (when you should only build it if you are truly steamrolling)
+ you do some great hooks and attempts at pickoffs!
- you try for a rot kill on ET instead of waiting for your ult to come off cooldown; again, you do more damage to yourself than to him, because of his aura, and he hits harder than you
- you wander very slowly down to the rune while your team is dying, even though you bought blink dagger I presume for the easy and free ability to move rapidly around the map as WELL as for initiation
+ with teamwork you blow the aegis, and then get the luna kill to happen again! (hey, the doom made his item choices work!)
- its been 8 minutes again since you've been involved in a creep kill, you are incredibly low level
- you focus so hard on the placement of your hook that you don't notice the spirit on top of you that gets you killed and your team nearly wiped, because you didn't hook to prevent the stomp
- you run away from your team at full health after hooking luna, forcing bkb and eclipse, even though with you there there would have been enough bodies (especially a pudge, with hint hint a skill that gives magic resist) to absorb the eclipse and get the kill
- you call gg for the third time (another g fucking g in fact) from the well and thankfully there's nothing left for me to comment on

so: lets see...
1.You make the most inefficient use of your time on the map imaginable
2. You don't look at anything but yourself
3. You make no effort to work with your team or even pay attention to them
4. You make no attempt to adjust to the game situation, ever
5. You play as if just because you were ahead at one point in the game as a hero you must be ahead always
6. You have a bad attitude
7. You constantly act on no information
8. Your only kills are a result of the enemy team being just as bad at the game as the people you are flaming
9. Dendi could have easily won that game
10. Not one of your problems is missing a hook.
11. Maybe I wouldn't put words in your mouth if you didn't spend 90% of your time whining about your teammates and claiming you are trapped in your bracket by somebody other than yourself

So Thrasher says bad things about Peruvians - banned4life

Hylian prefaces it with "I'm not being racist..." and it carries on without a blip.

Ok, that makes sense.

Did Anuxi comment on that Reddit post?

Not being racist here, but why the hell do Peruvians (and other foreign, non-english speaking countries) queue on UIS servers? What benefit does it provide them?

All it does is give them high pings and people that don't speak the same language they do.

Now I'm on a 6 game lost streak either because I had a bad game, or my team was utter shit, or fucking leavers.
Man you really need to learn how to just stop bitching and just focus on your play. Get over yourself already.

Hylian7

Like I said I know I made mistakes, I never denied that. I do try to improve.

So Thrasher says bad things about Peruvians - banned4life

Hylian prefaces it with "I'm not being racist..." and it carries on without a blip.

Ok, that makes sense.

Did Anuxi comment on that Reddit post?
Thacker was saying "All Peruvians are terrible at Dota", I never said anything like that and asked why they queue on US servers when there is a South American server. I only said that to emphasize the fact that I am not saying anything racist as I am not. I identified that there are the latency and communication issues for asking that question and wondered why it was so common. And I got that question answered.

Apparently you can't get duplicates from chests or something ruther.
zlf1EID.jpg

Curious.

What happens if you open more chests than there are sets in the chest? Surely you will indeed receive a duplicate.

I wonder what happens if you buy a set off the community market? I bought the BM set for $1.00 because that's all it was worth to me. I wonder if that purchase means I won't get that set if I open another chest...or does that only apply with regard to sets you open with your own keys in your own inventory?

Radec

Curious.

What happens if you open more chests than there are sets in the chest? Surely you will indeed receive a duplicate.

If there are 7 items in the chest and 2 extremely rare items

You won't be able to get duplicate when you use 7 keys on that chest.

It will reset once you already got those 7 items. Meaning on your 8th key, you can get one of the 7 items you got.

Extremely rare items are still luck based.

Mohasus

Curious.

I wonder what happens if you buy a set off the community market? I bought the BM set for $1.00 because that's all it was worth to me. I wonder if that purchase means I won't get that set if I open another chest...or does that only apply with regard to sets you open with your own keys in your own inventory?

My friend bought furion's set and then opened it. :(

Hylian7

Do it for one of my matches that I will stream pls

n0b went out of his way to help you improve, would be cool to acknowledge some of his points.
I will tomorrow actually, just on my tablet at the moment and splitting each thing into a new quote and not typing on a real keyboard is quite a hassle.

n0b

Like I said I know I made mistakes, I never denied that. I do try to improve.

You did, in fact, you said: "Take this one for example. Sure, I made mistakes, sure, I missed a hook here and there. But all things considered, I think I did pretty well myself. Now look at the team. Vanguard Doom, Invoker who doesn't know how to Invoke things, the Axe...There was no way I could salvage this one by myself. Don't tell meit doesn't happen."

You presented it as a game which you did well and the loss was out of your control.

The point of my post was that your evaluation of the game was all wrong. Your mistakes were not missing hooks. The only reason there was anything to salvage was because you threw away your lead by being inefficient, aimless, and unaware. Your team saw you start well, and assumed you knew what you were doing and followed your lead. All things considered you did decently for 6 minutes and horribly for the next 20. Your team does not deserve the flames, they did just as much work towards salvaging it as you.

My friend bought furion's set and then opened it. :(

thanks for this confirmation. Knowing my luck, that woulda been me.

Also, regarding that rare Venge set, both the wings and head piece have multiple styles. I didn't see them in our boy Cyborg Matt's Blog post, so I'm presenting below:

Helm Styles

Wings Styles

Also, Doom's F2P head piece has 2 styles to it.

The venge set is made of fucking win. Open Doom mask is my preferred look.

$0.02

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
as a person on "the inside" and additionally, named in the post, do you disagree or agree with him?

I posted a reply in the reddit thread on my thoughts. I have brought up all my concerns with valve regarding the state of the workshop. But the devs are only but a few and to overhaul that + maintain the game + all the extra goodies they might be planning takes a lot of time.

Kreunt

Banned
I posted a reply in the reddit thread on my thoughts. I have brought up all my concerns with valve regarding the state of the workshop. But the devs are only but a few and to overhaul that + maintain the game + all the extra goodies they might be planning takes a lot of time.

techies confirmed

Hylian7

You did, in fact, you said: "Take this one for example. Sure, I made mistakes, sure, I missed a hook here and there. But all things considered, I think I did pretty well myself. Now look at the team. Vanguard Doom, Invoker who doesn't know how to Invoke things, the Axe...There was no way I could salvage this one by myself. Don't tell meit doesn't happen."

You presented it as a game which you did well and the loss was out of your control.

The point of my post was that your evaluation of the game was all wrong. Your mistakes were not missing hooks. The only reason there was anything to salvage was because you threw away your lead by being inefficient, aimless, and unaware. Your team saw you start well, and assumed you knew what you were doing and followed your lead. All things considered you did decently for 6 minutes and horribly for the next 20. Your team does not deserve the flames, they did just as much work towards salvaging it as you.
Kind of on topic of this (and the other post). I still feel like I always have trouble with camera control, especially when things get frantic.

Honestly, I think that is the root of all my problems. It probably wasn't as obvious with Pudge, but on a hero like Storm Spirit or Magnus, I always have trouble with long camera movement fights. Just go watch any Storm game with player perspective and you can see that probably 90% of my fights end with my hero off edge of the screen. I've always found it so cumbersome to move the camera in these kinds of games and I don't know why. When I used to play StarCraft, I was so bad at it. Clicking on the minimal always felt obtuse where I could never do it quick enough and was always "scrambling" to do it.

It's why I don't look at other lanes much because I'm afraid I'll lose control of the camera and whiff last hits, or even worse, die.

So I guess my question is how the hell do you get to where controlling the camera doesn't feel cumbersome?

ViviOggi

Kind of on topic of this (and the other post). I still feel like I always have trouble with camera control, especially when things get frantic.

Honestly, I think that is the root of all my problems. It probably wasn't as obvious with Pudge, but on a hero like Storm Spirit or Magnus, I always have trouble with long camera movement fights. Just go watch any Storm game with player perspective and you can see that probably 90% of my fights end with my hero off edge of the screen. I've always found it so cumbersome to move the camera in these kinds of games and I don't know why. When I used to play StarCraft, I was so bad at it. Clicking on the minimal always felt obtuse where I could never do it quick enough and was always "scrambling" to do it.

It's why I don't look at other lanes much because I'm afraid I'll lose control of the camera and whiff last hits, or even worse, die.

So I guess my question is how the hell do you get to where controlling the camera doesn't feel cumbersome?

Eh no worries, you can always get the camera back to your hero by double-tapping the select hero button (I've got it on C). As far as general camera movement goes dragging the camera is infinitely superior to edge panning if you ask me as it lets you keep the cursor closer to the action at all times, even in longer chase sequences. Default is M3 but I think you can rebind that as well, might be worth looking into if you're struggling with the camera. Takes some getting used to if you've been edge panning all your life of course.

Hylian7

Eh no worries, you can always get the camera back to your hero by double-tapping the select hero button (I've got it on C). As far as general camera movement goes dragging the camera is infinitely superior to edge panning if you ask me as it lets you keep the cursor closer to the action at all times, even in longer chase sequences. Default is M3 but I think you can rebind that as well, might be worth looking into if you're struggling with the camera. Takes some getting used to if you've been edge panning all your life of course.
I've tried M3 before and just didn't like it. It makes me feel like I'm trying to strangle my mouse.

shira

thanks for this confirmation. Knowing my luck, that woulda been me.

Also, regarding that rare Venge set, both the wings and head piece have multiple styles. I didn't see them in our boy Cyborg Matt's Blog post, so I'm presenting below:
Dat esports $ money changes people.

n0b

I think its mostly getting a mouse + camera sensitivity combination that you are comfortable with. Maybe something like a pan speed that roughly acts as a continuation of your regular mouse movements. That way it will feel like you are still just moving your mouse when you reach the edge of the screen. You can also get used to double tapping your hero key to center on your hero after you click away. (which I am horrible at) I tried playing on a larger monitor once and the resolution changed the ratio of my pan speed to my mouse screen crossing speed and the game felt impossible to play.

Then just practice by moving a bunch of small units from a hero with a bit more micro (prophet, naga) to build a web of sight through a jungle and lanes.

Hylian7

I think its mostly getting a mouse + camera sensitivity combination that you are comfortable with. Maybe something like a pan speed that roughly acts as a continuation of your regular mouse movements. That way it will feel like you are still just moving your mouse when you reach the edge of the screen. You can also get used to double tapping your hero key to center on your hero after you click away. (which I am horrible at) I tried playing on a larger monitor once and the resolution changed the ratio of my pan speed to my mouse screen crossing speed and the game felt impossible to play.

Then just practice by moving a bunch of small units from a hero with a bit more micro (prophet, naga) to build a web of sight through a jungle and lanes.
I always double tap my hero key, you have probably noticed how much I do it on my stream. It is generally everything else that gives me problems. Clicking on the minimap is a big one for some reason.

GAF I need help!
What makes Arteezy's naga siren so good? I need to do some research. Any key games I should watch vods of?

Of what I've seen, what makes his naga good is what makes most illusion-based carries good. That is, when played correctly, you're using illusions to farm everything everywhere. Illusions should always be working and making money for you, somewhere away from you. For most illusion carries, that's going to mean radiance, manta and travels (or something very similar) to maximize your ability to move around jungles and from lane to lane, dropping off and microing illusions along the way to farm for you while you farm elsewhere. That goes for Naga, PL and Terroblade (with some variances).

edit: and sure enough,

http://dotabuff.com/players/86745912/matches?hero=naga-siren&lobby_type=&game_mode=&match_type=real

That's what he does. Not sure about what order he gets things in, but I assume he prioritizes getting that radiance up because it takes her farming to the next level. Of course, getting a rad up in a timely fashion requires solid last-hitting mechanics and proper support helping get you the space you need to farm relatively freely for 20 minutes or more. Sometimes that's asking a lot in pubs. I'd keep an eye on that dotabuff page and if he plays Naga again soon, you can always download that replay. Otherwise, you can click his more recent games and check out his skill builds for insight into what he thinks is important for his build (sometimes he doesn't even get a point into net until after 11!).

I should buy a bunch of those old chests with the legendary KoTL staff and open them and finally get it after so long

Or wait for the price to collapse on the market

EDIT:
NOOOOOOOOO it's a rare drop from the chest D:

Acinixys

Why do the worst players always pick Pudge? This fucking Pudge complains all game about a lack of wards despite there being wards everywhere and then he repeatedly goes and tries to hook one guy despite the fact that we can see the other four there with all the wards we have

When I start a game I usually look at the rest of my teams profiles to see how badly im going to lose. If he has Pudge or Invoker as his most played and calls mid before everyone has even loaded in I just know im going to have a bad game.

I know Hylian loves Pudge and always jumps in to defend the hero, but man most Pudge players are pants on head retarded and should be playing hard support, not mid

inkls

When I start a game I usually look at the rest of my teams profiles to see how badly im going to lose. If he has Pudge or Invoker as his most played and calls mid before everyone has even loaded in I just know im going to have a bad game.

I know Hylian loves Pudge and always jumps in to defend the hero, but man most Pudge players are pants on head retarded and should be playing hard support, not mid

You never know though. I once supported a bloodseeker as Shadow shaman. The guy was scared to take last hits (he had 1 point in his first passive), dove 2 towers straight, died repeatedly and ended up carrying our team.

You never know whats going to happen in each game, or when the enemy team will outretard yours.

Top Bottom