• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doug Lombardi did not leave Valve. Stop hyperventilating and go read a book.

FrankCaron

I think those murmurings in the other thread about this signalling that Valve is about to get purchased by someone just got a whole lot more likely.

Hmm... whatever is going on there (buyout, going to consoles, HL3 cancelled, no more games planned etc.) must be shaking the very foundation of the company.

This has me really worried. I'm such a massive Valve fan. I had felt like they could really do no wrong and the future seemed extremely bright for them. But all these people leaving is troubling.

LQX

I wonder if there was coup of sorts over at Valve and Newell just said fuck it and went to town or maybe Valve will soon be under new ownership.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Goddamn. Pretty sure they signed NDAs or something when they were fired/quit, but something MAJOR happened at Valve. Someone please tell me what the fuck happened already!

assuming you are serious, Linked in Says "2/25/13 - Present" if the job is still active. It requires an unchecking of the "still employed" box to specify an end date.

I am serious, I don't know how facebook for jobs works.

Valve are truly an empty shell of the great company they once were.

GABEN WHAT IS GOING ON

ivlRTPnxmJCMY.gif

This is huge guys

WTF is going on at valve

Oh man what the hell happened at Valve? Was there a mass exodus in response to the firings or something?

Megaton if true, what's happening at Valve ?

valve what is happening. I love Dota and Portal 2. What will be next.

What the fuuuuuck? How does this happen. How on earth does this guy get fired? I don't see it. He's been there for 13 years for christssake.

This is what happens when you forget about Half Life 3 goddamnit. Karma!

:(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
gaben got tired of Doug feeding when playing support in DOTA 2, kickbanned him IRL.
Valve employees were fucking each other a bit to much it seems
lmao.

Doug leaving makes the thing feel more like a cultural/ideological driven purge and less like casual layoffs.
Definitely. Doug is/was a major force at Valve and him leaving would in no way be 'just annual performance reviews' as Gabe et al were trying to play it off as.

marrec

Banned
Goddamn. Pretty sure they signed NDAs or something when they were fired/quit, but something MAJOR happened at Valve. Someone please tell me what the fuck happened already!

Big important project wrapped up, they're ready to reveal at E3, felt like they could shed some of the talent that was focused on that project.

That's my guess anyway.

Omikaru

I'm looking at his LinkedIn page now and it says he's currently holding his Valve position.

www.linkedin.com/pub/doug-lombardi/a/766/36a

Interestingly enough, the search says it was a past position. Maybe he made a mistake when updating his and has since corrected it? Or maybe his actual LinkedIn page hasn't update to say he's no longer at the company?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wow. Thats quite a 'purge' that occurred. Really makes me wonder about Gabe at this point and what he was thinking.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It is truly astounding if this news is indeed true. Also, stop assuming this has to do with issues of finance, this smells of political maneuvering.

inky

Something is happening at Valve, either they are spinning off/selling a business unit. Or they are not nearly as profitable as we all think they are.

According to the recent interview with Valve's economist dude (there's a topic about it int the first page) they've grown around 40% YoY for a while, and their revenue exceeds $1 billion for about 300 employees, so it's definitely not that.

Maybe it's an internal change in vision about what products should be developed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm looking at his LinkedIn page now and it says he's currently holding his Valve position.

www.linkedin.com/pub/doug-lombardi/a/766/36a

Interestingly enough, the search says it was a past position. Maybe he made a mistake when updating his and has since corrected it? Or maybe his actual LinkedIn page hasn't update to say he's no longer at the company?

It could be both if he gave a one month notice and is leaving at the end of the month.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
If true, then Megaton, if ever the term had any meaning this is the kind of event it was meant for.

So big big changes happening at Valve.

I'm guessing buyout.

Seda

Wow, I'm pretty uninformed about Valve personnel and even I know Lombardi and never thought he'd leave.

Busty

Banned
YOU ALL WANTED THE STEAMBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL THIS IS WHAT THE STEAMBOX HAS BROUGHT US!!!!!!!!!

*weeps silently*

Nibel

I hate that we get to know why certain person retire but without any context

Lombardi is a name I associate with Valve since I begun playing their games, this is really unexpected

Megasoum

Banned
With all those people leaving maybe we'll finally learn something about HL3/Episode 3. One of them has to talk at some point.

Top Bottom