• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Gloam

You can use a keyboard for typing, or you can use the ingame typing thing, ti's not so good. I think there's an option to name your character in roman letters. Not sure though. You could always look up a chart and sound out your desired name.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You can use a keyboard for typing, or you can use the ingame typing thing, ti's not so good.
This is one area that will be far more convenient in the Wii U version. Touch screen keyboard will make typing easier.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Which seems better to you so far: thief or ninja?

Can you only name your character in Japanese?

How about typing in-game?

They are both two totally different classes so no real which is better. Also the fact a ninja is non existent in the game currently no real point of comparison. If other classes are added on, most likely they will be of the same stock that were in DQIX.

If you want a class that relies on speed / is useful for gathering components when the steal ability is successful (gives a chance to steal an item or small amount of gold) its the thief. Plus has the ability to search for treasure too, no idea how it works as Im not playing as one currently. The fact that you can use low level magic spells helps a lot too.

As others have said, its highly recommended to use a keyboard. The ingame typing method is a bit of a PITA to use. I can see why they did it, but personally in practice its a lot harder to use than if they just had a virtual keyboard interface pop up instead. They thought the idea of how it works currently is for people who are used to using cellphones for sending messages. Sort of.

Aeana

I'd only just gotten my registration code registered when I got called away to do some stuff so I never actually logged into a server, but now I should be able to sit down and do it. I noticed on the player site that there's a friend list and such, so I guess once I figure out how that works we can add each other and such.

Espresso

Banned
Thanks for the information, guys. I have a USB keyboard, so hopefully I'll be able to name my character using the English alphabet.

Has anyone created a GAF guild yet?

Parakeetman

I'd only just gotten my registration code registered when I got called away to do some stuff so I never actually logged into a server, but now I should be able to sit down and do it. I noticed on the player site that there's a friend list and such, so I guess once I figure out how that works we can add each other and such.

To add friends that are not infront of you in game, you need their name + code # which consists of 2 letters 6 numbers. Going to the つよさ option in the menu will bring the code up.

The servers will be going down from 10am till 12pm So about in a little less than an hour and 22 minutes more.

Thanks for the information, guys. I have a USB keyboard, so hopefully I'll be able to name my character using the English alphabet.

Has anyone created a GAF guild yet?

Not sure what the guild process is, but from what my friend tells me it costs around 10,000G to start one I do believe though. Id have to check with him where he found the NPC for that.

Espresso

Banned
Not sure what the guild process is, but from what my friend tells me it costs around 10,000G to start one I do believe though. Id have to check with him where he found the NPC for that.
I'd be willing to pitch in. From what it sounds like, 10k's a lot of gold.

Aeana

To add friends that are not infront of you in game, you need their name + code # which consists of 2 letters 6 numbers. Going to the つよさ option in the menu will bring the code up.

The servers will be going down from 10am till 12pm So about in a little less than an hour and 22 minutes more.
It's also listed on the player site. Mine is YG291-571. Player name is イアーナ.

Parakeetman

I'd be willing to pitch in. From what it sounds like, 10k's a lot of gold.

I need to check with him to make sure it was 10k and not 100k. Am pretty sure its 10 though. Which isnt too bad once you get a trade skill and start crafting things. Or just get a hang of the area you are in and have collected a bunch of resources to sell.

Im curious as to if everyone is going to do different job skills. I swear to god I hate weapon crafting just due to the amount of stupid people are doing with the bazaar and making prices of selling items worthless, by making them too cheap. Seriously people I understand that you want to lv up your skill, but at the same time at least make a fucking profit off of it. *facepalm*

Forever

Banned
I have changed the player section of the OP to a list format to accommodate character names and codes.

About making the guild, if I'm not wrong I think this pic should help. Find a lamp I guess?

Parakeetman

I have changed the player section of the OP to a list format to accommodate character names and codes.

About making the guild, if I'm not wrong I think this pic should help. Find a lamp I guess?

Thats for the alchemy crafting guild. That crafting skill allows for attaching magical abilities to equipment. Its more of a higher level trade skill from what I understand. Plus expensive to do.

terrisus

I'm really eager to play this game, and all the stuff in this thread with people playing isn't making it any easier. The main issue is, I basically don't know any Japanese (I mean, I took a year of it in college, but, not much good that does me), and I don't really import video games much (especially not text-heavy ones) unless I know it's definitely not going to come over here (hence why I did import Mother 3, and played through it using a translation guide).

I guess I have two questions (and apologies if these have been covered more already):
1) Even though there's a wait, and it might only end up being for WiiU, this is definitely going to come out in the US... Right?... (And do we have any idea at all when if so?)
2) For those playing the Japanese version who don't have much/any knowledge of the language, how much does that impact your enjoyment of the game? Normally one of the parts I love most in RPGs is going around talking to NPCs and exploring and such, and, not being able to understand stuff kind of makes that difficult (in Mother 3 I had to just kind of follow the guide the first time or two through). Although with this being primarily a multiplayer online game, I suppose that kind of shifts the issue (and I know there have been some guides posted here about how to properly interact with others online. But, as far as general enjoyment of the game anyway).

Parakeetman

I guess I have two questions (and apologies if these have been covered more already)

Q: 1) Even though there's a wait, and it might only end up being for WiiU, this is definitely going to come out in the US... Right?... (And do we have any idea at all when if so?)

A: No word on a US Wii version as of this time, Same with the WiiU version for the US unfortunately.

---

Q: 2) For those playing the Japanese version who don't have much/any knowledge of the language, how much does that impact your enjoyment of the game? Normally one of the parts I love most in RPGs is going around talking to NPCs and exploring and such, and, not being able to understand stuff kind of makes that difficult (in Mother 3 I had to just kind of follow the guide the first time or two through). Although with this being primarily a multiplayer online game, I suppose that kind of shifts the issue (and I know there have been some guides posted here about how to properly interact with others online. But, as far as general enjoyment of the game anyway).

A: You will get stuck quite a lot if you are unable to read Japanese. Unless you dont mind playing through a whole game using a guide and not knowing whats going on, Id have to say think carefully about the decision to dive in. Its similar to me playing FFXI waaaaaaay back when before I could read Japanese at the level I do now. Though was playing mainly to see what kind of game mechanics they had used for the overall design. But yeah it does effect the overall experience to answer your question. If you party up with fellow GAF members that should make the experience more enjoyable. But if you solo a lot will be a different story Id imagine.

Going through quests and such is important as it will add features to your character by raising your fame level. For example from Fame Lv 5 you are able to put 4 items on the bazaar instead of the starting 3. Next level is 10 I do believe which allows for 5. Other quests unlock features / items in the game for use by the player. Such as the tavern, support service and other things.

---

Guess with the server going down in 30 Ill get a chance to move forward more in the SP story!

Aeana

Now I'm actually online. But it seems that you can't add people who aren't also online, even if you use ID+name. (._. )

Parakeetman

Now I'm actually online. But it seems that you can't add people who aren't also online, even if you use ID+name. (._. )

Hang on Ill pop back in then. Was going to write that too after having tried yours, but figured you were still in the SP portion / getting the character set up.

Gloam

Hang on Ill pop back in then. Was going to write that too after having tried yours, but figured you were still in the SP portion / getting the character set up.

I'll have to add you guys next time everyone's on. Look forward to going forth into the adventure.

Parakeetman

I'll have to add you guys next time everyone's on. Look forward to going forth into the adventure.

What class are you playing as btw? As long as its not a caster I can at least make you some weapons to help save you some $$$. All I ask for is pass over some resources in the future. Even though cleric seem to use spears also, though they cant regen MP if they do unlike when they have the stick (wand) type equipped.

Makes searching for a player priest to hire at the tavern difficult since ones who do have the stick equipped with the MP recovery skill are usually snatched up quick and you are left with a flood of clerics with spears.

Aeana

I got Parakeetman added, and we chatted for a bit. The line length is really short, makes chatting in English difficult. It's honestly even kinda restrictive for Japanese, but not as bad. Servers are going down soon, though, so I guess I'll be checking out the offline story featuring my big bro that I created earlier.

Espresso

Banned
I haven't paid yet, but I'll be paying via Wii points since it seems really hassle-free.

Oh, so you don't have to pay until after the free month is up?

About how long does the offline prologue take? Is it easy enough to figure out?

Aeana

Oh, so you don't have to pay until after the free month is up?

About how long does the offline prologue take? Is it easy enough to figure out?
It took me an hour and a half. It's pretty linear I guess? I dunno what it'd be like if you don't understand Japanese, but there's only 3 places you can go, so I'm sure you'd figure it all out eventually. Also, relevant story NPCs are marked on the map with pink dots anyway.

Parakeetman

Yeah the convos in english are going to wind up turning into what we see with texting with how small of a space you have to work with.

Even in Japanese as Aeana said it is a bit of a pain. Lots of times need to continue messages onto the next text bubble when my friend and I are talking in Japanese. For some reason too the change to kanji function too seems to pick from the most obscure non used crap first rather than the more commonly used characters, which is another bit of an irritation as it makes it a hassle to go searching for the right ones on occasion.

Gloam

What class are you playing as btw? As long as its not a caster I can at least make you some weapons to help save you some $$$. All I ask for is pass over some resources in the future. Even though cleric seem to use spears also, though they cant regen MP if they do unlike when they have the stick (wand) type equipped.

Makes searching for a player priest to hire at the tavern difficult since ones who do have the stick equipped with the MP recovery skill are usually snatched up quick and you are left with a flood of clerics with spears.

I'm playing a warrior. That would be cool, a lot of the equipment is fairly expensive for me at the moment. And sure, I can throw you any ingredients I pick up that might be useful to you.

Parakeetman

I'm playing a warrior. That would be cool, a lot of the equipment is fairly expensive for me at the moment. And sure, I can throw you any ingredients I pick up that might be useful to you.

Yeah get me your name and # then Ill be able to send stuff to your post box. What weapon are you using as your main?

Aeana

My character image on hiroba.dqx.jp is really messed up. Just like a messed up gray polygon and a staff floating in mid-air. (._. )

Gloam

Yeah get me your name and # then Ill be able to send stuff to your post box. What weapon are you using as your main?

ID: OQ622-208 Name: ひタ

Using a one handed sword at the moment.

My character image on hiroba.dqx.jp is really messed up. Just like a messed up gray polygon and a staff floating in mid-air. (._. )

Congrats! You unlocked the sixth tribe!

Parakeetman

Ok yeah will get you a sword made. I remember you said you were around lv 11? Will see what I can make once am in back game.

Gloam

Ok yeah will get you a sword made. I remember you said you were around lv 11? Will see what I can make once am in back game.

Thanks! Probably won't be back on this evening (or morning here) but I'll look forward to seeing your handy work tomorrow!

Parakeetman

Ill see about trying to make it at least a 2 star item, which basically means its +2 to the original base stats. Give me a little time will write up what will be sending here.

Some stuff just arrived and need to get this squared away first.

Can make you the following

Rapier - equip lv 7 - Base attack power 12
Iron Sword - equip lv 14 - Base attack power 17

Gloam

Ill see about trying to make it at least a 2 star item, which basically means its +2 to the original base stats. Give me a little time will write up what will be sending here.

Some stuff just arrived and need to get this squared away first.

Can make you the following

Rapier - equip lv 7 - Base attack power 12
Iron Sword - equip lv 14 - Base attack power 17

Iron Sword looks like the way to go, I'm only a couple of levels away!

Parakeetman

Iron Sword looks like the way to go, I'm only a couple of levels away!

Alright Ill just get you situated with that then.

I seriously should work on getting my dwarf leveled up so he can do armor crafting. Though I think focus of today will be getting to lv 30 at least. Which shouldnt be a problem.

Also Aeana if you plan on using a spear let me know can get a general use one crafted also.

Aeana

Alright Ill just get you situated with that then.

I seriously should work on getting my dwarf leveled up so he can do armor crafting. Though I think focus of today will be getting to lv 30 at least. Which shouldnt be a problem.

Also Aeana if you plan on using a spear let me know can get a general use one crafted also.
Yeah, absolutely, a spear would be great.

Parakeetman

Ok will do. Ill get you a better lv 1 bronze spear made and the next lv 7 spear made then and have it sent to your post box.

1 hour to go!!!!

Also general info. Red chests you can grab at any time so no rush, but blue ones are random pops so you might want to grab it before someone else does. (While Ive never seen one grabbed by another player, as Im usually alone when the are around the fact that they do appear randomly is true and would guess that other players can grab it too. Unless the game has it designed as that its just what you see. Similar to the harvest points in game.)
Though later on you need to be careful since they are mimics in the game in higher level areas. Ive already seen 2 parties wiped out in that manner on separate occasions. Worst part about is was they were higher level than me... D:

Aeana

Ok will do. Ill get you a better lv 1 bronze spear made and the next lv 7 spear made then and have it sent to your post box.

1 hour to go!!!!

Also general info. Red chests you can grab at any time so no rush, but blue ones are random pops so you might want to grab it before someone else does. (While Ive never seen one grabbed by another player, as Im usually alone when the are around the fact that they do appear randomly is true and would guess that other players can grab it too. Unless the game has it designed as that its just what you see. Similar to the harvest points in game.)
Though later on you need to be careful since they are mimics in the game in higher level areas. Ive already seen 2 parties wiped out in that manner on separate occasions. Worst part about is was they were higher level than me... D:
It was said in an interview or something that all item spawns that you see are for you. That includes blue chests and the shiny spots on the ground too. Other players can't get them.

Parakeetman

It was said in an interview or something that all item spawns that you see are for you. That includes blue chests and the shiny spots on the ground too. Other players can't get them.

Excellent thats good to know then. But I guess when it
mimic time, then its everyone in the party's problem lol

Yeah the harvest points I saw right away that it was separate for everyone which i think is the right thing to do. Esp after seeing what a mess it was in FFXI. Dear god the horror.

farnham

Banned
So I have a euroean wii with gecko os. Is it possible for me to play this game through a VPN solution? Also how will I be able to purchase japanese wii points through the japanese wii shop without any problem? Will the wii points on my current account get erased once I switch my wii shop from european to japanese?

Forever

Banned
So I have a euroean wii with gecko os. Is it possible for me to play this game through a VPN solution? Also how will I be able to purchase japanese wii points through the japanese wii shop without any problem? Will the wii points on my current account get erased once I switch my wii shop from european to japanese?

You can play through VPN, you will need to delete your shop and switch it to the Japanese shop, you will lose all your Wii points and your current purchases.

It might be better for you to buy a used Wii at a low price and just change its region to Japanese.

Diablos54

Oh wow. This is just the offline tutorial as well right? Looks amazing, battle transitions are quick and the battle system looks like good old classic DQ with movement which is perfect. The map looks nice and big, DQ 8 style, and the graphics look awesome for a Wii game. This is basically DQ 8 with a few more mechanics (Like forging), but with a mission system like FF X-2, right (Story missions and separate side quest missions)? With the ability to explore and fight to your hearts content in between? I wasn't happy with it being an MMO at first, but it's looking like a great DQ since exploring was one of my favorite things to do in DQ, 8 especially.

I need this on Wii U as soon as possible S-E!! Give me the ability to play on the controller screen as well as the T.V. and I'll never put it down!

farnham

Banned
You can play through VPN, you will need to delete your shop and switch it to the Japanese shop, you will lose all your Wii points and your current purchases.

It might be better for you to buy a used Wii at a low price and just change its region to Japanese.
will i be able to play the game for the "kids time" only without deleting my european wiishop and purchases? ?

if i use my wifes japanese credit card would i be able to maintain my european wiishop?

Forever

Banned
will i be able to play the game for the "kids time" only without deleting my european wiishop and purchases? ?

if i use my wifes japanese credit card would i be able to maintain my european wiishop?
If you have a Japanese credit card you should theoretically be able to use the alternative payment option through the in-game menu. You wouldn't need to go through the eShop. I'm not sure if you can use Kids' Time without a subscription, but I think you can.

farnham

Banned
If you have a Japanese credit card you should theoretically be able to use the alternative payment option through the in-game menu. You wouldn't need to go through the eShop. I'm not sure if you can use Kids' Time without a subscription, but I think you can.

thank you good sir

Aeana

First quest I got made me feel silly. It makes you use one of the preset text things, and then it makes you go find a dude and shout せんせいおしえて! in public.

Does it play Loto's March on continuous loop while patching? Because if I didn't have the Prelude burned into my mind before 2003, I sure did after.
No, it plays the Symphonic Suite version of Only Lonely Boy/Love Song 探して. It also plays that during the installation, which takes like an hour.

Parakeetman

First quest I got made me feel silly. It makes you use one of the preset text things, and then it makes you go find a dude and shout せんせいおしえて! in public.

mine was ”ごはんですよ!”

Top Bottom