• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Espresso

Banned
That reminds me. I was wondering if you misunderstood my post yesterday. The reason why you can't connect to the JP shop is most likely because you converted the region of your shop channel without deleting your account from the Wii first. You have to do that. But it also means that you lose all of your purchases - permanently - so it's something you have to weigh the pros and cons of.
Well, I'm going to be playing on my 2nd Wii, which I never set up a shop account on. I tried what you said just in case, but there didn't appear to be any log in information or anything like that on the system. So I deleted it and reinstalled a fresh JP shop. It gives me an error after declining to log in to Club Nintendo, so that's why I'm wondering if the shop's going to be a requirement. If it is, I'm screwed. :p I have a feeling something's going to go wrong, it's just my luck.

How long did it take you to receive a shipment confirmation email? I'm still awaiting mine.

Aeana

Just got Overplay set up neatly on my router. I have a separate SSID that routes traffic through the VPN, and my main SSID sends traffic through to my ISP normally. <3

Well, I'm going to be playing on my 2nd Wii, which I never set up a shop account on. I tried what you said just in case, but there didn't appear to be any log in information or anything like that on the system. So I deleted it and reinstalled a fresh JP shop. It gives me an error after declining to log in to Club Nintendo, so that's why I'm wondering if the shop's going to be a requirement. If it is, I'm screwed. :p I have a feeling something's going to go wrong, it's just my luck.

How long did it take you to receive a shipment confirmation email? I'm still awaiting mine.
Was your second Wii used? Just in case, start up the US shop and go to settings, and scroll down to "remove Wii shop account." I seem to remember you saying you had the internet channel on the Wii. You had to get that from the shop, and when you remove the account, it'll delete that channel from your Wii in the process, and you'll have to re-download it from the JP shop.

As for shipping e-mail, I got it last night. Ordered on Saturday.

Espresso

Banned
Just got Overplay set up neatly on my router. I have a separate SSID that routes traffic through the VPN, and my main SSID sends traffic through to my ISP normally. <3

Was your second Wii used? Just in case, start up the US shop and go to settings, and scroll down to "remove Wii shop account." I seem to remember you saying you had the internet channel on the Wii. You had to get that from the shop, and when you remove the account, it'll delete that channel from your Wii in the process, and you'll have to re-download it from the JP shop.

As for shipping e-mail, I got it last night. Ordered on Saturday.

That's awesome, I wish I had the know-how to set up my router like that.

It was used by another family member, but they can't recall ever buying anything from the shop. Well, it's now all Japanese-ified and doesn't have a US shop channel on it anymore. This homebrew program called MMM (multi mod manager) can download shop/internet channels and install them, so I'll try deleting the JP again and install the US and try what you mentioned. Then reinstall JP again. This is a lot more work than I imagined it'd be just to play a video game. Haha.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

That's disappointing though. :( Everything you disliked about FFXI, either I didn't have the same problems, or I enjoyed it. I really liked the fact that you'd lose xp when you died in XI, and that you were basically forced to party to get anything done. I know I'm the odd man out with that logic.

Depending on when this game comes to the US and how much I enjoy FFXIV v2.0, I may look into this. It doesn't really sound like anything is going to give me that classic FFXI experience that I enjoyed so much. :(

As much as I'd like to see the game in HD, I'd rather not have to buy a new console just to play it. Nothing on the WiiU interests me at the moment, so I'll be fine with the Wii version of this.

You are not the odd man out. I liked FFXI's way of making you suffer to feel rewarded, and I liked its focus on grouping to get anywhere since it made the MMO community aspect much more important than other games.

However, I could not do another game like that with my life as it is now with how busy I am.

Aeana

That's awesome, I wish I had the know-how to set up my router like that.

It was used by another family member, but they can't recall ever buying anything from the shop. Well, it's now all Japanese-ified and doesn't have a US shop channel on it anymore. This homebrew program called MMM (multi mod manager) can download shop/internet channels and install them, so I'll try deleting the JP again and install the US and try what you mentioned. Then reinstall JP again. This is a lot more work than I imagined it'd be just to play a video game. Haha.
The Shop channel is universal - you simply have to run AnyRegionChanger and set its region back to US in order to get back to the US shop. If you ONLY change the Shopping Channel region code and none of the other settings, it should be quick and easy to do.

Espresso

Banned
The Shop channel is universal - you simply have to run AnyRegionChanger and set its region back to US in order to get back to the US shop. If you ONLY change the Shopping Channel region code and none of the other settings, it should be quick and easy to do.

Oh, no kidding! Thanks, you saved me a lot of time!

Aeana

Apparently SE has adopted a policy similar to the one they had in FF11's early days, which is that if you don't play your character for over 3 months (and you aren't subscribed), it'll be deleted. But people speculate that if you just log in during kids' time, it'll reset the counter. A pain, but not surprising since SE did it with FF11 before.

muu

Apparently SE has adopted a policy similar to the one they had in FF11's early days, which is that if you don't play your character for over 3 months (and you aren't subscribed), it'll be deleted. But people speculate that if you just log in during kids' time, it'll reset the counter. A pain, but not surprising since SE did it with FF11 before.

they didn't even act on that policy anyway. It was a way to scare people into re-subscribing (and hopefully continue to pay) for the game; many of us realized soon enough that the mule character with the shitty synth items we stopped paying for a year ago was still valid. Not to mention the character recovery service.

Besides, if you aren't playing a MMO for 3 months it's unlikely that you bother coming back.

Aeana

they didn't even act on that policy anyway. It was a way to scare people into re-subscribing (and hopefully continue to pay) for the game; many of us realized soon enough that the mule character with the shitty synth items we stopped paying for a year ago was still valid. Not to mention the character recovery service.

Besides, if you aren't playing a MMO for 3 months it's unlikely that you bother coming back.
It definitely was acted upon, as I and friends had characters deleted. This was within the first year, before the game even launched in NA. Also this service exists for this reason.

And I have left and gone back to MMOs tons of times over the years, sometimes with years between activation periods, so that second part is definitely mega-false.

Eusis

Truthfully what you speak of though is when one joins a subscription and doesnt have his schedule managed. Its no different than if you join a gym and dont go. Not the game nor the gyms fault that you are not getting the most out of your $$$.
Point, though like said I suspect that's part of why subscription MMOs are floundering compared to before (or maybe it's just the old numbers are not seen as enough compared to WoW's): who gets subscriptions to multiple gyms? Hell, that extends to other services unless there was a key difference between them.

Also: Yeah, I can easily see someone skipping an MMO for three+ months. Maybe if we were talking about three+ years then no, they probably wouldn't come back, but 3-4 months could easily cover a college semester, or just a point in your life that's rough and you don't want to deal with playing an MMO.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is this game like Final Fantasy XI?

Asides from it being an MMO made by SQEX the two are nothing alike really with the gameplay mechanics.

As far as I know, it's something like Ogre for Warrior/Gladiator, Elf for Priest/Cleric, Puklipo for Entertainer/Thief, Wedi's are all rounders, not so sure on dwarves. Yuji Horii played a dwarf warrior with a big axe so... All the other classes I mentioned are based on seeing people in the game using those combos.

Actually people just play as pretty much anything. Ive seen all races be all classes. Even more so considering you can change classes after you hit lv 20 and do a quest. If you read the information on when you pick what race to become for the online version it basically gives a rundown of what the general stats are. But its nothing as serious as with other games truthfully. So its not like you are going to be gimped.

urfe

Point, though like said I suspect that's part of why subscription MMOs are floundering compared to before (or maybe it's just the old numbers are not seen as enough compared to WoW's): who gets subscriptions to multiple gyms? Hell, that extends to other services unless there was a key difference between them.

Also: Yeah, I can easily see someone skipping an MMO for three+ months. Maybe if we were talking about three+ years then no, they probably wouldn't come back, but 3-4 months could easily cover a college semester, or just a point in your life that's rough and you don't want to deal with playing an MMO.

If you log in during "kid's time" (free time) once every three months, you're golden.

I plan on picking this game up soon, and don't plan on buying a subscription (20 free days and 2 hours a week on most likely Saturday).

A special thanks to Parakeetman for the impressions. I never got into MMO's (or had any desire to play one) because they seemed time consuming and focusing on the rote, but this game looks totally different, and perhaps something I can continue my love of Dragon Quest with.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

makes sense

muu

It definitely was acted upon, as I and friends had characters deleted. This was within the first year, before the game even launched in NA. Also this service exists for this reason.

And I have left and gone back to MMOs tons of times over the years, sometimes with years between activation periods, so that second part is definitely mega-false.

You're probably the exception to the rule here; in general, people don't come back. How many people in your friends list were still active right before you quit? When you came back? For every 1 person I've seen come back to play I probably noticed 10 that didn't, and those who came back didn't last too long either, myself included (I went back for a few months to play around in Abyssea after a 2yr hiatus. There were still a few people I knew from back then but the core group I played with was long gone).

Of course, a lot of this has to do w/ the mental barrier of paying again for something you stopped playing once. It'd be interesting to see if limited free play in the form of Kids Time encourages players to return to the game after extended periods of nonplay.

Parakeetman

A special thanks to Parakeetman for the impressions. I never got into MMO's (or had any desire to play one) because they seemed time consuming and focusing on the rote, but this game looks totally different, and perhaps something I can continue my love of Dragon Quest with.

This is once again most def a dragon quest game that you just play with a ton of others online. Can play together or solo and it has a story to follow too. There will be other stories it seems which will take place on the different continents also, seeing how Im doing one both in the Ogre Kingdom and the Dwarf Kingdom.

Any info on sales numbers so far?

Friend mentioned that it was around 200-300k from pre-orders alone. Seeing how loaded the servers are in the evenings Im leaning towards believing him. Hes usually on the Japanese message boards bout the game.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

That's disappointing though. :( Everything you disliked about FFXI, either I didn't have the same problems, or I enjoyed it. I really liked the fact that you'd lose xp when you died in XI, and that you were basically forced to party to get anything done. I know I'm the odd man out with that logic. Depending on when this game comes to the US and how much I enjoy FFXIV v2.0, I may look into this. It doesn't really sound like anything is going to give me that classic FFXI experience that I enjoyed so much. :(

The problem with that is the game design turns off the average player. People dont like having to be forced into parties, stand around waiting when they want to just relax and play the game, getting robbed of EXP due to poorly designed game mechanics and unfair difficulty etc. This game was designed to be DQ first and a MMO later, with the mindset behind that being is having all the fans of DQ who have not played MMOs before to just get home sit back and relax / enjoy the game. FFXI was a slog and not amusing with how it was a huge pain in the ass job and class specific even more so if you wanted to attempt to do things on your own.

Yeah this isnt going to be the same experience FFXI was, so Id suggest leaving that out of mind or you will be most def disappointed. FFXI was Everquest with a coat of paint known as Final Fantasy put over it and a story added. Though since a lot of us are a lot older now and with more priorities in our lives, the fact that its a game you can drop in and drop out of with ease due to the game mechanics Im sure you will appreciate that. The reason why I keep comparing it to EQ is because I was a player of that stupid series for a long ass time and was all the broken mechanics first hand. But since there was nothing else to play my friends and I stayed with it till something else came out. Its why those who have played EQ can really see the designers behind FFXI were not kidding when they said they were fans of EQ.

In total played about 37 different MMOs through the long history. I still think that the one with the most amusing crafting system / world idea had to be Ultima Online, since that was one game where you could literally not play a class that fights and eventually make money. Where all others you eventually had to fight to do get materials or other things, which made crafting specific player types rare. Was hoping DQX would have some sort of class like Torneko who was an Arms Merchant. I so would have selected that class in a heartbeat. If they made that class and allowed you to pick multiple tradeskills oh man that would have been awesome. (Can see how it would break the world with the current design though) Really do hope that they consider adding in more job types in the future.

kunonabi

So what it better to use my JPN Wii or my homebrewed Wii? I don't really feel like messing around with the shop channel to be honest.

Forever

Banned
So what it better to use my JPN Wii or my homebrewed Wii? I don't really feel like messing around with the shop channel to be honest.

Your Japanese Wii should work fine. Let us know when you order the game and we'll add you to the player list.

By the way Aeana, would you like to do a better OP now that you're getting the game?

Aeana

Japanese Wii will require zero fiddling. Use that.

Your Japanese Wii should work fine. Let us know when you order the game and we'll add you to the player list.

By the way Aeana, would you like to do a better OP now that you're getting the game?
Nah, that's all right. You've done a good job keeping it updated and it's got everything it needs so far.

I'll be contributing translations and stuff once I get it though.

Parakeetman

Question is there any actual information from playing the game that you would like for the OT?

Forever

Banned
Nah, that's all right. You've done a good job keeping it updated and it's got everything it needs so far.

I'll be contributing translations and stuff once I get it though.
M'kay.

Question is there any actual information from playing the game that you would like for the OT?

Reviews, I guess? We're lacking anything that explains the systems and differences and oddities. If you could write something up in a couple paragraphs that'd be great.

Parakeetman

Ok since am at Lv 27 almost 28 now I think it should be good enough to do a light review about the game. Though am not exactly a writer, which is why in general I do QA sessions better lol I still got to go to the Puklipo continent though, thats the only one I have not been to yet. Plus do not think anyone has seen the last continent in the middle yet as its still covered with the purple fog.

Forever

Banned
Ok since am at Lv 27 almost 28 now I think it should be good enough to do a light review about the game. Though am not exactly a writer, which is why in general I do QA sessions better lol I still got to go to the Puklipo continent though, thats the only one I have not been to yet. Plus do not think anyone has seen the last continent in the middle yet as its still covered with the purple fog.

Just do your best to be clear and precise and I'll edit it for you if need be.

This sounds so cool. :(

Parakeetman

Out of all the zones ive been to so far the one with the most dangerous area outside of the hub town has got to be the Dwarves. Not to mention how INSANE / dangerous it is trying to get to the Dwarven Kingdom (the capital) from the hub town. Managed to do it but man was that crazy run.

Just do your best to be clear and precise and I'll edit it for you if need be.
Awesome, sounds like a plan sir.

Espresso

Banned
Are Puplikos like the Tarutatus of DQX (magician experts)? How do they handle melee classes? I'm leaning towards either a Pupliko or Ogre thief (not a fan of MP dependents).

Parakeetman

Are Puplikos like the Tarutatus of DQX (magician experts)? How do they handle melee classes? I'm leaning towards either a Pupliko or Ogre thief (not a fan of MP dependents).

Once again as have mentioned, there really does not seem to be that large of a difference with the race / class combinations as have seen every race run one type from each class. While the descriptions say they may excel at certain status abilities, for the most part just pick what you want to play as, unless you are one of those really picky types who need to have all the numbers perfect. lol

But to answer your question as best as possible, yeah Ive seen a lot of Puplikos playing as mages or healers. Ive seen fighter, thief and monk ones running around also.

The one class that you rarely see is the Minstrel though my friend is playing as one and hes lv 31 now.

This game if you stick with a wand for clerics or 2 staff handed staff for mages you can gain MP back on a successful physical attack on an enemy. Those two classes / weapon combinations are the ones which you will be able to unlock the skill to up the ability of how much magic you regain faster, than with for example the mage and the dagger. So MP really isnt that much of a problem. Plus killing certain enemies they will drop small magic bottles which recover 10 MP. Its not like other games where you have to sit and regain magic, AKA wasting time.

Plus you can teleport back to town and use the inn for a fee which recovers HP and MP. Since at times its a lot cheaper than using the small magic bottle which sell for 50 a piece, when most major town inns cost 30-40 GP depending if you have a full party of NPCs with you. Other inns will cost 120G when you have a full party.

This sounds so cool. :(

Its not that I can see the continent yet or at least not from any areas Ive been on the map, its just there on the world map when its brought up. Including the hub selection map at the train station, when you are picking which continent to go to.

zlatko

Banned
So a few questions about this game for those playing it, or video links if you have them:

1) Which MMO does this game borrow its combat system from? What sets it apart from other MMOs? Is it designed around Wii nunchuck controls, or is it better suited for keyboard/classic controller play?

2) Does it follow the FFXI pattern of quests/story missions? There is missions that are only for story, have set level caps/areas/bossfights, and you group up to clear them as you progress?

3) What are we seeing for quests? Are they engaging and varied, or is it your run of the mill fetch quests?

4) Is crafting a MUST do? Is it easy to level, easy to afford?

5) What kind of economy are we looking at? Items sold that make most money are from crafting, or is it items off rare enemies?

6) Speaking of rare enemies, do they exist? Any crazy spawn times?

7) Does the game do instance runs at all? How easy is it to group up and find people if instances exist?

8) Is there a reason to group up? What's the optimum party size? Do parties require a healer, tank, DD set up?

9) Any word on what kind of endgame they have planned?

10) Any PvP ? Plans for it?

11) How deep is character customization? As a follow up, how often are you changing equipment and how varied/bad ass can you look? One of my favorite things about MMO's is getting sleek bad ass gear to just feel like the baddest mother in the town I'm in.

I think that's all the questions I have. :p

Parakeetman

Disclaimer: All answers are based off of over 50 hours of play time currently lv 28. Visited all continents except for the Puklipo (just have not had time to go there yet, everywhere else I had a reason to visit) With that out of the way let the Q & A session begin!

Q: 1) Which MMO does this game borrow its combat system from? What sets it apart from other MMOs? Is it designed around Wii nunchuck controls, or is it better suited for keyboard/classic controller play?

A: Dragon Quest - Reason why I say that is because it uses the same menu based command system as the series. The command system the speed at which it appears is dependent on your speed status. So with that in mind its a good idea to pay attention to finding gear that helps up that stat. Can imagine in the future as more people realize that speed gear (the feet slot equipment) will really go up in price.

What sets it apart from other MMOs? The fact that this one is designed to be Dragon Quest first MMO later. Really cant describe it any better than that. Closest thing which fans would understand is its an online version of Dragon Quest IX with a better story / characters.

Id suggest using the classic controller + USB keyboard if you want to chat. Everything is mapped in a pretty intelligent manner with how the controls work with a controller. Wireless keyboards do work. Am running a Logitech K800 series with zero issues.

---

Q: 2) Does it follow the FFXI pattern of quests/story missions? There is missions that are only for story, have set level caps/areas/bossfights, and you group up to clear them as you progress?

A: Yeah the game starts off with a single player prologue which sets up the story / setting and from there goes into the online portion where the story continues online. The offline portion will further the story of happens to your brother / sister character.

Id have to check with a level cap, my friend would know. But I do know there is a class specific quest at lv 30 from what I understand. There are boss fights that are story related.

---

Q: 3) What are we seeing for quests? Are they engaging and varied, or is it your run of the mill fetch quests?

A: The quests are pretty standard stuff. Its similar to the kind of quests in IX. For the most part Ive seen fetch quests or go to X location to trigger Y event. At least so far I have not run into kill 10 rats sorta thing. Though as with DQIX quests dont give exp as part of the reward. Usually a quest item. Though the daily (real time) crafting guild quests give crafting exp / gold rewards for listed items asked.

The quests related to the story usually come with cutscenes to watch, so I suppose that makes them engaging.

---

Q: 4) Is crafting a MUST do? Is it easy to level, easy to afford?

A: Its not a MUST just like with any game, but yes as long as you have the mats its easy to do. Plus helps crafting your own gear if you dont want to chase after higher tier crafted. Its pretty fun to do and gives you something to do with all the crap you find. Though Id suggest armor crafting over weapon or making crafting tools. Just due to those 2 have more items to sell vs. weapon crafting alone. Esp crafting tools, since everyone needs those. I highly suggest that one reads up on what all the crafting jobs are before actually picking one. As once you go past lv 10 of that skill / take the test to raise the cap I do believe they do not let you change your job. Found this out the hard way myself, when I had tried to switch to armor crafting. Am currently lv 12 in weapon crafting.

What is nice too is that its not the whole BS where you need to convert X item into Y item to make Z item. Its the raw materials is all you need. Then it goes into the minigame which is different for the different crafting skills. Though Blacksmithing is all the same, just different patterns to work on hammering.

Leveling up the crafting skills will give you more skills to use and up whatever your status is for working on said materials. For example blacksmithing goes by "concentration" points which are used for each hit performed on the metal or use of the crafting skills.

In terms of affordability that starts to change as you go up in skill level as some materials become harder to come by and as long as idiots are ruining the prices of items sold then yes it still can be profitable. Really all depends too on how patient you are / ability to play & read the market.

For some heavy money making the alchemy route is an option but the downside is risk vs reward is high esp if you screw up and fail in crafting. Since resources are rare / expensive. But you can make bank if you create a stronger item. Do believe there are 2 different alchemy types. Pot / Lamp. Dont know much else about that though, but those skills is what adds the + # status to equipment and stats up bonuses on them. Its quite important for retaining your current set level, but pushing the stats over the next tier of gear which can save you $$$ in the long run depending on how you think of it.

---

Q: 5) What kind of economy are we looking at? Items sold that make most money are from crafting, or is it items off rare enemies?

A: Items sold make the most money, so far have not found anything off a rare enemy. Ive seen what can be considered rare enemies but still at lv 28 they are over powered in terms of strength to my own character. But it doesnt seem to be designed like other games. Where you will have to go farming rare enemies and thank god for that. Though monsters in general do not drop a lot of $$$ so money is mostly made off of selling resources / equipment. So at times its necessary to do resource runs around the world map.

There are rare resources which are dropped at random. These are displayed by a treasure chest with a more "fancy" graphic from the standard wooden chest. But its not to the level of other games where people farm "rare spawns" for the chance to get X item. Dont think that they designed the game to be like that from what Ive seen so far, which I personally I think is a good thing. Since people can just enjoy playing the game rather than being played by the game.

Also prices in the Bazaars differ for each of the continents. So what resource might be common in one is rare in another, therefore the price being slightly higher there than your home country for example. For some reason in the server Im at the Ogre hub town seems to be the main trading zone for everyone using the Bazaar, this is based off of how there are so many items to choose from and high end gear showing up often. I think it has to do with the fact the quest for the job change starts there, so everyone passes through that town. Even if its one of the most irritating design due to how you have to run in a U shape if you want to get to the post office / bank / bazaar. Other hub towns have a slightly more sane design.

Also another interesting point is crafted items start off as "New" though once equipped it becomes binded to your character, therefore there is no "used" market for gear. Which means when you upgrade your own stuff its basically either shelving it, if its a different tier set or selling it back to the vendor. Plus with how limited bank space is, keeping tons of sets is not a real option at the moment. Unsure if there is a bank space upgrade quest yet. My guess is more space for storing things will come when you are able to buy a home / furniture, only a guess right now, since that feature is not activated yet too.

In short from Lv 1-10 its easy to raise from there will take a bit more work as more rare components start to come into play.

---

Q: 6) Speaking of rare enemies, do they exist? Any crazy spawn times?

A: There are strong enemies but am not sure if you would consider those the same as rare enemies. No idea bout spawn times since they still are out of touch with trying to fight it due to being so high level.

Spawn times for regular enemies are quick and even when places are crowded its not that bad getting something snared to fight. Some folks pick and choose their targets, so if you are going after a certain type too can be a bit of a competition on who gets to it first. Those instances are mostly with people looking for a certain resource drop. For example beast skin, which is used for various things.

---

Q: 7) Does the game do instance runs at all? How easy is it to group up and find people if instances exist?

A: No instances that Ive seen yet in the world.

People generally find groups by standing in the town square and announcing they are looking for groups to do X quest or just make parties for leveling. Since monsters dont really give you a lot of cash, making money is more based on running marathons around the world harvesting from resource points. Which is done simply by running up to the shining white spots in the world and pressing the action button. No harvesting items are necessary such as with other games. Locations are always the same but just timed respawn based.

---

Q: 8) Is there a reason to group up? What's the optimum party size? Do parties require a healer, tank, DD set up?

A: There is, if you want a party thats a bit smarter than the AI plus you can talk with them to help coordinate things during battle. 4 is the max for party size. If you want a well balanced party is usually a good idea. Though since there is no taunt skill yet, tanking is a bit different. Its more with how the party is placed and the main DD characters keeping the enemy away from casters by pushing them away. Since in this game you can physically push enemy mobs as you would a heavy object like in action games. So its an interesting strategic addition to the battle itself and actually paying attention to placement in battle. There isnt any real "useless" class also so its not like FFXI where certain classes would be ignored for the most part due to not being part of the "perfect party" formula of the month.

---

Q: 9) Any word on what kind of endgame they have planned?

A: No idea, no word on that. Game just started. But there obviously are a lot of things planned down the line seeing various facilities not even implemented for use yet, but exist physically in the world.

---

Q: 10) Any PvP ? Plans for it?

A: Might have PvP but since the Japanese dont really care about PvP for the most part Id say its not a priority. There is a Colosseum but no idea what its going to be exactly yet as its not open. The Japanese in general prefer cooperation over conflict. That and really if they did add it to this game all its going to be is mostly a stats / gear game. But Id imagine some folks might enjoy that, but might break the market in some ways with the + gear prices going through the roof due to PvPers willing to pay high price for it. Which personally I would not like to see in the game. As that type of + gear is quite important for those who wish to solo or just be a more effective player overall. As always healers are in a big demand. Mages also, due to some enemies being physical resistant so magic is needed to deal the majority of the damage.

Now if the Colosseum added a mode like the other DQ games where you can use befriended monsters to fight other peoples monsters, that might be a larger hit than actual PvP. Since its how the Colosseum worked in other DQ titles.

---

Q: 11) How deep is character customization? As a follow up, how often are you changing equipment and how varied/bad ass can you look? One of my favorite things about MMO's is getting sleek bad ass gear to just feel like the baddest mother in the town I'm in.

A: Physical features are based off of the following set choices below. (Its not deep like what you can do in Phantasy Star Online 2 for example.)

3 body sizes S M L (height related)
12 hair / skin / eye colors
3 facial shape types
8 facial types (eyes mainly + unfortunately nothing like facial hair for males)
9 hair types

Equipment is mostly based on levels, though if you buy "upgraded" stuff from normal which generally is stats increase to the base stats of the gear. Those stats upgrades are done by the alchemy and what not trade skills. The look is varied for the most part as you can expect for a MMO that just started. More than personal looks Id say how it effects your stats is more important. Lots of people who might look cool are quite useless stats wise. For example my gear that Ive been wearing which is lower tier stuff from 28 and up, out classes higher level guys by far in terms of defense. But if you want to look good, the armors are quite nice looking in design for the most part. Casters look well like as a caster would so cant really comment too much on that lol. Also there is the option to have your head item displayed or not. Similar to what you can do in WoW.

In short you might look good, but stats wise it will be a different story. So usually when searching for NPCs its a good idea to take a peek at their gear / stats. Just so you dont get "glass cannons" so to speak, even then that doesnt happen since the average player isnt purchasing the highest possibly damage output items with the + stuff. But for the most part with human players dont have to worry as much unless one is really AR about things. Since with communication you can help change the flow of battle, rather than having to rely on the AI to do the correct commands based off of the "order sets" you have them set as currently.

Also crafted gear vs. store bought stuff will at times have the same tier level but slightly better than the normal set. For example, there are 2 level 7 types of swords for the fighter, but one has a slightly damage output. Its a more "unique" crafted item since it uses a different component to make. Same goes for armor. For example Chain vs. Iron, folks like chain more since it looks cooler, but iron has a higher defense output. Equipment also has a weight status, but I need to read up on what that exactly effects.

Hope that answers your questions and anyone else who has some feel free to ask and will assist with answers to the best of my ability.

MDX

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/07/dragon-quest-x-levels-up-with-twice-the-servers/

Dragon Quest X Levels Up With Twice The Servers

It sounds like Dragon Quest X is pretty busy since Square Enix added servers 21 &#8211; 40 earlier today. That gives the Wii RPG twice the amount of servers running the game.

Square Enix says there are still bugs they need to fix like chat and friend bugs. They&#8217;re also working on increasing server capacity to support more players per server.

Dragon Quest X came out on August 2 for Wii.

Will this game give Wii a second wind?

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/07/dragon-quest-x-levels-up-with-twice-the-servers/

Dragon Quest X Levels Up With Twice The Servers

Will this game give Wii a second wind?

SE must have had good sales numbers for this move

Wonder whats happening with the Wii U version?

probably well into testing phase, still I wonder if they will allow the Wii version some room to sell more or release it as soon as the Wii U has decent hardware sold

Parakeetman

SE must have had good sales numbers for this move

Well its also from the point that they were having a lot of technical problems effecting the overall experience of people playing due to insane server loads. So this was the smart choice.

Problems that included, not being able to log in, chat problems with tells / team chat, getting dropped while catching train into new zone.

Still even with all of that this has been by far one of the most stable launches of a MMO ever. Think having that long prologue helped stem the amount of folks joining the servers over a period of time too, instead of BAM all at once.

Well its also from the point that they were having a lot of technical problems effecting the overall experience of people playing due to insane server loads. So this was the smart choice.

Problems that included, not being able to log in, chat problems with tells / team chat, getting dropped while catching train into new zone.

cool to see they are on top of all of this, its a good sign

I wonder if they will expand the world like WoW does over the years

Parakeetman

cool to see they are on top of all of this, its a good sign

I wonder if they will expand the world like WoW does over the years

Am sure they will. Since by far this is doing great and if they keep adding content am sure people will continue to play.

The future of FFIV on the other hand is looking grim lol. Then again SQEX has the PC market for that one which includes international sales, unlike DQX for the time being.

looking at the streams again seem like Kotaku stopped playing for a few days now, his stream is so much sharper than the others sigh

I wish I could play this.

I see in parties there is one person who stays outside the battle he seems to be healing the ones fighting, am I seeing it right?

Parakeetman

looking at the streams again seem like Kotaku stopped playing for a few days now, his stream is so much sharper than the others sigh

I wish I could play this.

I see in parties there is one person who stays outside the battle he seems to be healing the ones fighting, am I seeing it right?

Yes casters by default their AI will stay away from the thick of the battle. They only go in close on occasion to do a melee attack sometimes. a lot more useful if you pick the ones who are equipped with the stick (cleric) or 2 handed staff (mage) as they recover MP from a successful physical attack.

herod

Any details on the Wii U version? Specifically, does it allow play on the gamepad screen? I'd love that or maybe a 3DS version.

Any details on the Wii U version? Specifically, does it allow play on the gamepad screen? I'd love that or maybe a 3DS version.

No word of gamepad play and a 3DS version was never announced only an DQX app

don't hold your breath for this on 3DS though maybe the next game in the series will go to 3DS if Wii U don't not shock us and over take the 3DS in hardware sales by the time Enix is ready

Parakeetman

That and from a business perspective it would be unwise to make an announcement yet as the game is gaining momentum. Dont want people to suddenly pull the breaks in order to wait for the WiiU version.

Am guessing later down the line nearing the release of the WiiU they will say something, but as of this moment it wouldnt make sense to.

herod

No word of gamepad play and a 3DS version was never announced only an DQX app

don't hold your breath for this on 3DS though maybe the next game in the series will go to 3DS if Wii U don't not shock us and over take the 3DS in hardware sales by the time Enix is ready

Agreed, 3DS is entirely wishful thinking on my part, but DQ9 seemed like it was halfway to an MMO already.

Parakeetman

Agreed, 3DS is entirely wishful thinking on my part, but DQ9 seemed like it was halfway to an MMO already.

I could have sworn they said they were making a Wii version of DQ9 also, but I guess that never happened? That was a long time ago though.

urfe

DQ9 allows it to be played as a normal DQ game, despite the multiplayer aspects. That's the main difference between the two, and the reason there's so many negative reviews on Amazon (if you read them, that's the main complaint, one guy said "this sadly isn't a game for us in our 30's and 40's who aren't gamers").

With the news of the servers being expanded, I wonder if the game will overcome this stigma. I know it's stupid, but I cringe whenever I hear a MMORPG player talk about DQX. When I buy it, I want to be under the illusion it's be and a bunch of other people who've never really dabbled in MMORPGs, and our love of DQ awkwardly brought us here, initially in the solo server section, and then slowly into the main servers.

MLH

Thanks for your impressions Parakeetman. I was worried this would just be another WoW clone, but it sounds like the developers cared more about making a Dragon Quest game than an MMO. Will definitely try this out when it is localised.

Top Bottom