• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

FeralEcho

Mother fucker just assuming gender like it’s 2015.

My pawn identifies as “it/wtf”
pennywise it 2017 GIF

Uh oh your pawn has red eyes....

GHG

Utterly addicted to this. Performance issues in populated areas aside, it's hard to find faults with this.

The biggest compliment I can give is that it's pretty much how I wish I could mod skyrim while maintaining a degree of cohesion.

The thief class is an absolute blast, especially once you get the special ability scrolls for it from a certain main quest.

DavidGzz

Utterly addicted to this. Performance issues in populated areas aside, it's hard to find faults with this.

The biggest compliment I can give is that it's pretty much how I wish I could mod skyrim while maintaining a degree of cohesion.

The thief class is an absolute blast, especially once you get the special ability scrolls for it from a certain main quest.

I'm psyched to use the new abilities for the thief, I just did that quest too. And yeah, I've seen some Skyrim mods that look great but this is way better than those could ever be. This is a dream game for me. First game that made foot travel fun and it's still fun almost 70 hours in. I just look at a pawn, press up and let them guide me. I barely use the map.

DavidGzz

Ah man......was able to capture the very moment I cut off the snake tail of the Chimera. This game has such cool moments....

868E5377ACE122D8B95C2EE84B96CABB71B66140

4F03651D6006D3C2DD0356F70F60D299F2F47D71

Yeah, people say cool gameplay moments happen in other games, but other games don't also have you playing with a full party, are point and shoot borefests in comparison, don't have you scaling large monsters, don't have giant enemies crashing and demolishing your oxcart with great physics sending your character flipping sideways, etc. I think that is why it stands out. Kind of how Halo 1 stood out when it came out among a lot of shooters back in 2001. The physics, the ability to melee/grenade easily, the marines exclaiming, the plasma grenades sending your warthog off a cliff with 3 passengers flying to their deaths. The chaos. This is the medieval version of something that brings many fun elements together so well and why many of us are addicts.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, people say cool gameplay moments happen in other games, but other games don't also have you playing with a full party, are point and shoot borefests in comparison, don't have you scaling large monsters, don't have giant enemies crashing and demolishing your oxcart with great physics sending your character flipping sideways, etc. I think that is why it stands out. Kind of how Halo 1 stood out when it came out among a lot of shooters back in 2001. The physics, the ability to melee/grenade easily, the marines exclaiming, the plasma grenades sending your warthog off a cliff with 3 passengers flying to their deaths. The chaos. This is the medieval version of something that brings many fun elements together so well and why many of us are addicts.

Always something around the corner in this game. Early on, I was tentative and ran away from the big fights but now I'm rushing towards them. Even if I get my ass handed to me I'm having a great time. And I know it won't be long until I'm back taking another go at the beast. Looking at you, Mr. Drake.

Yerd

I saw several of you guys talking about the waterfall cave and did not recall any of the big fights you were talking about. I had the cave on the map, but turns out I never went inside. Cleared that out.

I have been putting off going to the coronation. I'm not sure what point that puts me in the main quest line. I've been trying to access every spot on the map that was fogged. That and clearing all quests listed in the vermund area.

I went to bhattal once but came back to clear out the other quests. I know I'll be sent there for the main quest line, so I'm gong to save that area for then.

IAmRei

That’s not to say that the goblin/variants aren’t over abundant. I respect the fact that the world of DD is a pretty grounded fantasy world, and I can see how goblins would be a very common enemy type.

Dwarven forging was a holy shit moment for me.

Some of the puzzle dungeons have been really fun/interesting. I loved the one full of locked gates.

Can’t believe one of the first dungeons you can find in the game has the two bosses it does in there. The saurians kicked my ass left right and sideways my first run through. No fuckin way I could have done the rest of that place at the time.

Given what the game essentially spells out for you, I think that such a thing is all but guaranteed at this point.

And now i think i know what i will waiting, mod for Goblin Slayer armor would be blast for me.
Maybe there is one in the future. But first, i had to buy new laptop to be able to run DD2 😂

IAmRei

Golem battles can get so spectacular though,especially with some mage/sorcerer pawns in the party,you get flashes and particles everywhere. Had a fight with one at nighttime and all the spells were lighting up the area.
Havent meet golem yet, will keep in mind for that

CZY

I agree with him on some points, but there are a few notable omissions there which make me wonder how complete his "100%" actually was.

Similarly I wonder whether he actually played the release version of the original, and not the Dark Arisen version which not only added in the Bitterblack Isle expansion, but a lot of interstitial DLC's as well. People seem to have forgotten those packs of Seeker's tokens fetch-quests they were hawking on top of the other MTX.
I’ve been suspicious of that guy for a while. He never seems to actually say anything interesting nor anything that lends credence to the notion of him 100%ing everything. Or maybe he’s just a boring dude, idk.

bender

What time is it?
Rolled credits tonight and got the true ending. I soured on the game during the last third and the final few hours are such a slog. I think my biggest complaint about the game will be the open world and my barometer for that is simply if I have the desire to fast travel or not and I found myself wanting to constantly which is a failure in my book. I do like how fast travel is implemented and I do like that fast traveling via carts has the danger of being attacked but that outwears its' welcome as well as in the back half of the game It was very rare that my travel wasn't interrupted but by larger and larger mobs usually accompanied by an elite. The encounters aren't even difficult, it is just added annoyance. Annoying is also how I'd describe traveling on foot due to mob density and how static most placement is outside of some of the bigger creatures but those are mostly static too. The interplay between mixes those mobs together is neat but I just can't help but think they could have figured out a different way to accomplish that without having an encounter every ten paces which in turn sapped my will to want to explore. It is still a fun romp, but I'm left thinking it could have been so much more.

DavidGzz

I've changed my mind on the Warrior vocation. Now that I have the rhythm on the swings, where if you time it, the weapon flashes white and it makes a satisfying chime, it's really satisfying to play. It's nice with the basic swing but even better with the Gale Slash! Also, I have the hang of how and when to use barge. Still overall behind the Fighter and Mystic Spearhand, I think it is now my 3rd fave melee class.

FeralEcho

I was ready to declare FF7 Rebirth as my front runner for game of the year, but this game is so much better and now has taken the top spot.
Yeah for me it will be between DD2 and FF7 Rebirth this year unless some crazy out of left field thing gets announced for this year but I doubt it.I haven't started Rebirth yet, it's sitting on the shelf waiting but after I'm feeling comfortable with my playtime on DD2 I'll start that immediately.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But it's actually completely backwards, I'm looking at you too FromSoft (Elden Ring), DD2 has dragons (technically), and ER has both but calls things like AGHEEL a "dragon", and this one doesn't have 4 limbs (that are not used for flying)...

I hate so many things about this game but at the same time can't stop playing it. It feels really undercooked and janky but what is there has given me some all time classic moments.

I totally agree with the Mortisimal review about the plot at the big set piece moment. I was like why the fuck would I ever want to get involved here and didn't really understand what was going on. It feels like two completely different stories get stuck together right at the end and it honestly still makes no sense to me. At least with Fromsoft stuff you know that nonsensical stuff will be explained somewhere even if you have to hunt for it but here I think they just dropped the ball completely.

Still somehow by far my GOTY but I can't quite put into words why it's so good.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just flew over half of the map on top of a griffin, with all my pawns clinging to him while I stood atop it. That was the coolest shit, wonder if I can do the same with that drake that's outside Harve that always flies away.

Kacho

Just flew over half of the map on top of a griffin, with all my pawns clinging to him while I stood atop it. That was the coolest shit, wonder if I can do the same with that drake that's outside Harve that always flies away.
Have you managed to down a drake yet? I don’t have enough DPS to down one before it flies away.

FeralEcho

My first encounter with the Dullahan oof...had to use 2 wakestones to stay in the fight,barely managed to win with a full party and some extra soldiers besides...Granted my pawns werent high level summons but still I've been bodying Cyclopes,Ogres,Chimeras,Minotaurs,even Golems at this point so I didn't think too much of party adjustment.This though...
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Have you managed to down a drake yet? I don’t have enough DPS to down one before it flies away.
4 so far! I think the one near Melve always flies away, but the others have stayed until the end.

Weird thing is, I could swear I've seen them heal somehow, which is something I could swear they never did in the first game.

Btw, I'm 80 hours in and my pawn's badge section still has 8 empty slots, have yet to see a Medusa, a Dullahan or a Garm. Guess the others must be the gore versions of other monsters.

FeralEcho

I found the
Sphinx

I was literally going up a mountain and then some interesting structures started popping up and I'm like,hmmm this has to be where it's at right...it looks waay too fancy for another thing to be here and lo and behold it was and it looks absolutely terrifying.

They did an incredible job with the design. I so want to take a shot at it,but it looks so mythical that it might one shot me, I'm more terrified of it than Drakes or even Grigori.

Last edited:

GymWolf

My first encounter with the Dullahan oof...had to use 2 wakestones to stay in the fight,barely managed to win with a full party and some extra soldiers besides...Granted my pawns werent high level summons but still I've been bodying Cyclopes,Ogres,Chimeras,Minotaurs,even Golems at this point so I didn't think too much of party adjustment.This though...
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Was this first fight the mission with gregor? The monster escaped after a while so i wasn't able to kill him.

DosGamer

So I am on the fence between this and Rise of Ronin.
I al looking for a game that gives you a chance at really good gear drops but also random.. in other words... enemies drop varieties of armor and weapons and there are both in the world that are tied behind long or hidden quests.
Also, does this game have fishing?

GymWolf

So I am on the fence between this and Rise of Ronin.
I al looking for a game that gives you a chance at really good gear drops but also random.. in other words... enemies drop varieties of armor and weapons and there are both in the world that are tied behind long or hidden quests.
Also, does this game have fishing?
Not the usual finishers where you just watch a mini video basically, when enemies are on the ground the heavy attack turn into a ground finisher with a different animation.

Edit: lmao i readed as finishers not fishing...you can catch fish with your hands in certain spots, not really fishing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I havent had that feeling of stumbling into something cool. A lot of the stuff i find in the open world is pretty much useless for my build but i do appreciate the massive XP gains. It makes the exploration feel a lot more rewarding. I think Zelda ToTK was far better at exploration, but the combat is the star here.

I just hate the stupid WRPG style quests where you have to sneak into places without being seen. Skyrim had these for the thieves guild and i hated them. here they send you to not one but three quests where you have to sneak in and i always get caught. Its stupid. Just let me go and kill people. I want to continue the story and move on. Its a combat game. Every mission should be combat. I quit FF7 due to constant mini games and i am just doing side quests here because id rather just login and kill things instead of sit through bad dialogue, shitty WRPG quest design and storytelling.

ssringo

Yes. I saw a player pawn with a fire enchanted mace. I found ice enchanted daggers last night.
They're great (unless there's multiple ice daggers...). The freeze is super useful and and seems to proc fairly often. Plus drake hearts get wrecked.

Been using them for a couple days and swapping to the seeker token reward daggers when something is resistant to ice.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Do you know if there are hidden items. I like going after elusive items in games that not all players have... or maybe something you stumble upon by chance
Yes, my pawn in the first game was a renting gold mine because she was decked in the most exclusive shit possible; I made like 80+ "friends" because people couldn't afford her so friending was the only way to rent her; had to make an entire separate friend group on steam just to put all those people in.

Edit:
Lol I just checked and apparently my pawn was ranked number 13 at some point, forgot about that
zWi5Bk1.jpeg

Last edited:

thief183

I havent had that feeling of stumbling into something cool. A lot of the stuff i find in the open world is pretty much useless for my build but i do appreciate the massive XP gains. It makes the exploration feel a lot more rewarding. I think Zelda ToTK was far better at exploration, but the combat is the star here.

I just hate the stupid WRPG style quests where you have to sneak into places without being seen. Skyrim had these for the thieves guild and i hated them. here they send you to not one but three quests where you have to sneak in and i always get caught. Its stupid. Just let me go and kill people. I want to continue the story and move on. Its a combat game. Every mission should be combat. I quit FF7 due to constant mini games and i am just doing side quests here because id rather just login and kill things instead of sit through bad dialogue, shitty WRPG quest design and storytelling.
Have you tried dressing like a guard?

No stealth required.

Reactions: GHG

GymWolf

I heard that stealth in this game is often related to get a costume or a mask.

MAX PAYMENT

If someone uses you pawn, can they change out their armor? I turned the game on to find my Legolas pawn wearing some revealing women's armor.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Have you tried dressing like a guard?

No stealth required.
i think so. i got the guard outfits from a chest before you enter the dungeons to talk to that dude imprisoned there and they attacked me anyway.

then i have to go sneak into some daia chicks house and they caught and put me in jail.

FeralEcho

Was this first fight the mission with gregor? The monster escaped after a while so i wasn't able to kill him.
Yes that's the one,I didn't even think he could run, that's cool. I was at the fight for like 10 mins,how long did it take till he ran away?

FeralEcho

If someone uses you pawn, can they change out their armor? I turned the game on to find my Legolas pawn wearing some revealing women's armor.
They can change your pawn but they forfeit said armour to you as the owner of the pawn so it won't happen alot since most people won't just gove up their items for something non permanent.

Top Bottom