• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Draugoth

Gold Member
Man I hate to be such a fanboy, but I love this game, and the first game so much.

I think the first game broke ground, so technically it can't be broken again. But, there are things this game does that no other game does, like the climbing and night time.

Dark Souls 1 or 2 had the giant cave that was pitch black, but it's not the same as what's done in these 2 games.

Seriously, so many sites do this these days, Polygon, Kotaku, whatever the current "hot game" out is they are gonna find some half baked opinion and throw it out there for clicks.

Because Dragon's Dogma 2 has the potential to be one of the best games of all times, only if Itsuno learned from the mistakes from the first game and took what was good from the Dark Arisen.

But no, instead he made a sequel that is inferior in some aspects to the first game, which is mind boggling honestly

his-own-words-from-the-ign-interview-v0-7ucqvqm6rwqc1.jpeg
so-these-were-just-straight-up-lies-correct-v0-ll7z3samuhqc1.jpeg

Yerd

Forgery for magical items dont work. The forgeries are mostly for quest outcomes

You need to create forgeries if you want to complete both the Spellbound and Myrdyr Book Chase quests simultaneous for example,
Well, that's unfortunate. I don't know anything about the spellbound quest, and I already handed in books to Myrddyn. So I guess I have to wait for ng+

Yerd

I was very late to the first game. I don't think I was even aware of it when it released. I started when it was a free game for PS3, already Dark Arisen. I don't know what it was like on release, but I know things were added and changed.

So, maybe they will do the same with 2 here and a DLC release will give us considerable upgrades.

Topher

Gold Member
Because Dragon's Dogma 2 has the potential to be one of the best games of all times, only if Itsuno learned from the mistakes from the first game and took what was good from the Dark Arisen.

But no, instead he made a sequel that is inferior in some aspects to the first game, which is mind boggling honestly

That's a fair criticism but we are talking about IGN's portrayal of opinons on the game.

FeralEcho

I honestly never had a problem with the enemy types in the first game and even less so in the 2nd,there are alot of different variants of enemies I've met and I haven't felt like I needed more,in the first act already I've encountered
Goblins , Hobgoblins, Harpies, Saurians, Green goblins, Poison Harpies, Saurians, Poison Saurians, Rock Saurians, Slimes, Spiders, Bats,Leechworms, Undead warriors, Zombies, Undead Mages, Bandits, Cyclopes, Ogres, Chimera, Minotaur, Drakes, Golem, Gryffin, Sphinx, Lich, Dullahan

That's 27 enemy types,but I think it's just hard to spread them out convincingly when the game is so huge.

To me DD has always felt a bit like Shadow of the Colossus when it comes to the encounters in the sense that the boss enemies like Ogre or Chimera are the colossi in SOTC which is why the music chimes in only when you fight them.The rest are just what's populating the empty world of SOTC that you would normally have had when going from colossi to colossi only here you go from mythical monster to mythical monster.

bender

What time is it?
That's 27 enemy types,but I think it's just hard to spread them out convincingly when the game is so huge.

The problem is a lack of randomization. The same set of the same mob type always spawns in the exact same locations. That's also true of some of the larger boss enemy types as well. Some randomness gets thrown in the mix when one of the larger boss monsters ambushes you, but I'd say because of the lack of variety and density to encounters, tedium sets in quickly.

FeralEcho

The problem is a lack of randomization. The same set of the same mob type always spawns in the exact same locations. That's also true of some of the larger boss enemy types as well. Some randomness gets thrown in the mix when one of the larger boss monsters ambushes you, but I'd say because of the lack of variety and density to encounters, tedium sets in quickly.
Yeah i can see that being the cause of it.

Topher

Gold Member
Maxed out thief so moving on to Mage. Think I'm going to miss being such a badass. lol

Tried playing the game on Steam Deck streaming from my PC. Done that before on more demanding games as has worked well. Not in this game. It is a jittery mess when streaming. I think it goes back to frame time issues.

SCB3

20 hours in and 3/4 of the story already???

I think the game just isn't for you, that's all,in my opinion this is the type of game you spend time just messing about in its world exploring not going in straight for the story,for example I'm 42 hours in and I only did main quests up until the main city of Vernworth in Vermund in the first area,I did do a ton of side quests though but that's just cuz they came naturally while strolling through the city and areas.

Most of the memorable things I've had in the game happened on the road while exploring not in quests.

It's a slow burn kinda game,like The Witcher 3 which took me 300+ hours to finish for example,took me months.
See I don’t mind that, Elden Ring for example has that, Zelda has that, both are superior games of course and I think a lot of it is coming down to me being a bit burnt out on RPGs after the great ones we’ve had recently

I’m not putting the game down, what is there is great, I can see that but like you said it may just be a case of it not being for me, maybe I’ll revisit it in a few days and see if that urge is there to play

Topher

Gold Member
See I don’t mind that, Elden Ring for example has that, Zelda has that, both are superior games of course and I think a lot of it is coming down to me being a bit burnt out on RPGs after the great ones we’ve had recently

I’m not putting the game down, what is there is great, I can see that but like you said it may just be a case of it not being for me, maybe I’ll revisit it in a few days and see if that urge is there to play

Nothing wrong with not being into a game as much as others. I don't care for Elden Ring or Zelda. Tried....just not for me.

FeralEcho

Give it some time off and come back another time, I've had those same luls where I just can't seem to play a game even when everybody says its great but then I come back to it when I'm in the mood for that particular genre or franchise and love it. Who knows,you might end up really enjoying it next time around 👍

Mossybrew

My issue is that everytime i watch a clip or tune in to a stream, i see the same environment and the same 5 monsters. Why this has such a low enemy and environment variety?
Apparently there's a desert area next but I haven't got there yet. But yeah, expect to spend the first 20 hours at least (this time probably varies greatly depending on how many sidequests and random exploration you do) in these forested hills facing the same enemies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Going from thief to mage is an adjustment
After Mage go Sorcerer. Augural Flare is probably as busted as Skullsplitter. More hits(attacks from your party also count towards this) on the blue glowing dot the more explosion. Flare, Spellhold(to hold an extra Flare) and 2 spells of your choice. Which will be Levin, Flagration or Maelstrom depending on the fight.

Although I like the simplicity of Trickster. Could probably run 3 Sorcs with just Meteor/Maelstrom and watch heads roll as they get demolished chasing smoke.

Madflavor

My issue is that everytime i watch a clip or tune in to a stream, i see the same environment and the same 5 monsters. Why this has such a low enemy and environment variety?

Because there simply is low enemy and environment variety. In the first hour of the game I was fighting Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens, Bandits and Wolves. 50 hours later and at the opposite end of the map, I'm still fighting Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens, Bandits and Wolves, and nothing else when it comes to smaller enemies. As far as big enemies go, it's basically the same thing. You run into the same enemy types no matter where you are or how far you are into the game. It also doesn't help that you can't run 20 feet without running into another pack of enemies. Travel in this game consists of constantly running into packs of the same enemies you've been fighting since the beginning, and occasionally stumbling upon a cave with the same aesthetics, and often you get to kill a Cyclops or a Troll for the 50th time.

There's also no dynamic difficult in the game. Enemies don't scale to your level. You will get to a point where you begin to absolutely MELT enemies. And if you're thinking NG+ fixes that, it doesn't. NG+ is still the base game difficulty. What's even worse is that the random Pawns you see adventuring in the world scale to your level, so eventually you'll see them melting even the bigger enemies.

After all the shit he talked about DD1 being an unfinished game, and DD2 being a complete game and his vision full realized, I am now convinced Itsuno is the Japanese Peter Molyneux.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Started as a fighter, pretty boring, looking forward to unlocking Warrior, always played with 2-handed weapons in the Souls series.

MAX PAYMENT

They can change your pawn but they forfeit said armour to you as the owner of the pawn so it won't happen alot since most people won't just gove up their items for something non permanent.
It was funny as hell. He ran up to me excited about his adventure with another arisen. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hear about it.

Topher

Gold Member
Nope,they go straight to your stash.

Gotta remember to get a couple of camping kits after I dismiss them. I have like 10 of them but I only carry 2 or 3 at a time and put them on the pawns. Was out in the wild and going to camp for the night and didn't have any.

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

FeralEcho

Gotta remember to get a couple of camping kits after I dismiss them. I have like 10 of them but I only carry 2 or 3 at a time and put them on the pawns. Was out in the wild and going to camp for the night and didn't have any.

Yeah that happened to me a couple times,just put the camping kits on your main pawn since you won't be dismissing him/her.

DavidGzz

So sure, there are not 100 enemy types, but that's true of a lot of games. What this game does with those enemies is what is interesting compared to other games. What do you do against enemies in Elden Ring for example? R1, R2, weapon art, R1, R1. In DD2 you can grab an enemy and throw him at his friends, hold him down for a pawn to murder them, shoulder them off a cliff and then proceed to do a Ghost of Tsushima like plunging attack on it, use 1 of 4 different fun unique attacks depending on the class, climb a cyclops and stab their eye which then grabs you and throws you against a tree. Grab a griffon and take a flight across the map etc. The way fights can play out is the big standout, so while we don't have a dog and cat statue to fight in the same looking dungeons over and over, we get way more things that can happen fighting monsters. Elden Ring's big differentiator from the Souls games was a jump attack and that is just one of dozens of attacks in DD2. Each game has its pros and cons. DD2 doesn't have 80 enemies like Elden Ring, but the fights can play out so differently depending on the enemy, landscape, etc. I'd rather have the latter.

Last edited:

Field

Because there simply is low enemy and environment variety. In the first hour of the game I was fighting Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens, Bandits and Wolves. 50 hours later and at the opposite end of the map, I'm still fighting Goblins, Harpies, Sauriens, Bandits and Wolves, and nothing else when it comes to smaller enemies. As far as big enemies go, it's basically the same thing. You run into the same enemy types no matter where you are or how far you are into the game. It also doesn't help that you can't run 20 feet without running into another pack of enemies. Travel in this game consists of constantly running into packs of the same enemies you've been fighting since the beginning, and occasionally stumbling upon a cave with the same aesthetics, and often you get to kill a Cyclops or a Troll for the 50th time.

There's also no dynamic difficult in the game. Enemies don't scale to your level. You will get to a point where you begin to absolutely MELT enemies. And if you're thinking NG+ fixes that, it doesn't. NG+ is still the base game difficulty. What's even worse is that the random Pawns you see adventuring in the world scale to your level, so eventually you'll see them melting even the bigger enemies.

After all the shit he talked about DD1 being an unfinished game, and DD2 being a complete game and his vision full realized, I am now convinced Itsuno is the Japanese Peter Molyneux.
The game wouldn’t be that much more fun fighting the same enemies over and over at hour 50 with level scaling added.

itsuno is up there with howard and molyneux when it comes to being a bullshitter.

bender

What time is it?

Camping kits are reusable so just store one on your main pawn. I think they can be destroyed during ambushes but I only had one ambush occur in my playthrough and it didn't destroy my kit.

FeralEcho

Oh man,this game,45 hours in and still surprising me
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

So I switched to a warrior vocation to rank it up a bit and I just had an amazing Gollem fight and I sent his head flying with a huge swing of the sword then everyone was attacking his head stunlocking him in place as he was reaching for his head,he literally died with his hand held out towards his decapitated head.

I fucking LOVE this game ❤️

Kacho

So I switched to a warrior vocation to rank it up a bit and I just had an amazing Gollem fight and I sent his head flying with a huge swing of the sword then everyone was attacking his head stunlocking him in place as he was reaching for his head,he literally died with his hand held out towards his decapitated head.

That’s fucking awesome dude

Topher

Gold Member

lol....that's great. The experiences in this game are great.

Madflavor

The game wouldn’t be that much more fun fighting the same enemies over and over at hour 50 with level scaling added.

Maybe, but I would argue that without level scaling, it makes the game worse. Especially when you consider there's only one save file. I'm not pro Level Scaling in all games. It really just depends on the type of game you're playing. The way DD2 is designed, it needs level scaling for NG+. It also needs more variety and harder enemies as you progress through the game. By late game, not only are you super powerful, but because you're still fighting the same enemies and bosses, you know their weaknesses and tricks. I just ran into a Gore Minotaur very late game, and we killed him in 30 seconds. I wasn't even trying. Then after that I went back to Battahl and I randomly picked up a bail a hay. For some reason this pissed off the town guard something fierce, and we got swarmed by guards who just openly started attacking us. I ended up easily killing them all.

I have reached a point where the game is now completely absent of challenge. Again I don't even have endgame gear equipped.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Wtf, I didn't even know he could lose it, that's awesome!

DavidGzz

I have reached a point where the game is now completely absent of challenge. Again I don't even have endgame gear equipped.

This is one big weakness I've noticed too. Granted, I'm milking the game, in the early areas looking for coins after 80 hours of gameplay, but I would welcome a level scaling option. I'd definitely turn it on, I can't even get started with my swinging as a warrior, I'm one shotting most anything.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I haven’t been digging the quests. I don’t remember much of the original game’s plot either. The quests are kinda dull. The combat and dynamic events are where it shines. I’d almost take a divide and conquer approach like the Souls games. I’d rather conquer this world and maybe focus on a quest or two. I’m over that half way mark with the main story quests and those quests aren’t that great. What’s made up for that is walking into a mountain and confronting a chimera. That’s cool. I am looking forward to the Sphinx, but is that optional?

These quests and the amount of travel doesn’t necessarily scream “hardcore”. If they’re going to do that they might make a more rewarding world. Fill the treasure chests with something other than a low grade potion. Give me a weapon somewhere for killing my 300th goblin in this cave.

I see where they went and the grand design shows itself. Without the combat and shenanigans going on with random encounters.. the game sits very flat at times.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I haven’t been digging the quests. I don’t remember much of the original game’s plot either. The quests are kinda dull. The combat and dynamic events are where it shines. I’d almost take a divide and conquer approach like the Souls games. I’d rather conquer this world and maybe focus on a quest or two. I’m over that half way mark with the main story quests and those quests aren’t that great. What’s made up for that is walking into a mountain and confronting a chimera. That’s cool. I am looking forward to the Sphinx, but is that optional?

These quests and the amount of travel doesn’t necessarily scream “hardcore”. If they’re going to do that they might make a more rewarding world. Fill the treasure chests with something other than a low grade potion. Give me a weapon somewhere for killing my 300th goblin in this cave.

I see where they went and the grand design shows itself. Without the combat and shenanigans going on with random encounters.. the game sits very flat at times.

This is how I feel. I think the game world completely stinks. It's dull, it's boring, and turning out all the lights at night is really the only cool aspect of it that I've seen. And it's really not THAT cool.

Anyway, I don't want to explore the world, the rewards are a joke, and the enemy variety sucks.

But no more pissing and moaning from me in this thread. If you enjoy it, that's great. Peace out.

DavidGzz

I like that double jump and ladder launch are not required for certain seemingly out of reach seeker coins. You just have to find a way up, it may take longer but has always been possible so far.

DavidGzz

Found a cave with a lich and skeleton king dual boss. That was epic! Anyway, he is still glowing(king) and I can't I interact with him anymore. I wonder if I have to fight him for a quest so he isn't truly dead.

Hestar69

New update just came out right now

[PlayStation®5 / Steam]

• Adding the option to start a new game when save data already exists.
  • Changing the number of "Art of Metamorphosis" items available at Pawn Guilds in the game to 99.
  • Making the quest that allows players to acquire their own dwelling (where they can save and rest) available earlier in the game.
  • Miscellaneous text display issues.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes.

[PlayStation®5]

• Adding the option* to switch Motion Blur on/off in Options.
  • Adding the option* to switch Ray Tracing on/off in Options.
  • Adding the option to set Frame Rate at Max 30fps in Options.

[Steam]

• Improving quality when DLSS SUPER RESOLUTION is enabled.
  • Fixing an issue related to the display of models under some specific settings.

• *These options won't affect frame rate significantly. Improvements to frame rate are planned for future updates.

Updates to Xbox Series X|S are planned in the next few days.

Field

Maybe, but I would argue that without level scaling, it makes the game worse. Especially when you consider there's only one save file. I'm not pro Level Scaling in all games. It really just depends on the type of game you're playing. The way DD2 is designed, it needs level scaling for NG+. It also needs more variety and harder enemies as you progress through the game. By late game, not only are you super powerful, but because you're still fighting the same enemies and bosses, you know their weaknesses and tricks. I just ran into a Gore Minotaur very late game, and we killed him in 30 seconds. I wasn't even trying. Then after that I went back to Battahl and I randomly picked up a bail a hay. For some reason this pissed off the town guard something fierce, and we got swarmed by guards who just openly started attacking us. I ended up easily killing them all.

I understand if the game gets way too easy there should be options to make it harder. It just always bugs me in games where you are levelling up and should become stronger that enemies from first hour of the game possess same challenge and time to beat in end game. I prefer that trash enemies are phased out and replaced by stronger enemies as you level up even though end result might be similar to just level scaling haha.

buenoblue

New patch with 30fps cap and toggles for raytracing ☺️. I only got the game yesterday so perfect timing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom