• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
GJ01j0AaIAAoiux

GJ01qJRbgAAe3vD

DavidGzz

Well, this is awesome. DLSS seems to be working way better. The reduction in quality is undetectable and I am getting 100-120 frames with raytracing at 1440p. I haven't been to the main town yet. I'll edit when I do

Ok, it's 55-75fps in Vernworth now but without the frame pacing crap so it feels smooth. Great patch.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I understand if the game gets way too easy there should be options to make it harder. It just always bugs me in games where you are levelling up and should become stronger that enemies from first hour of the game possess same challenge and time to beat in end game. I prefer that trash enemies are phased out and replaced by stronger enemies as you level up even though end result might be similar to just level scaling haha.

I can agree with that. DD2 either needs level scaling, or more enemy variety in later stages that are more challenging. I won't die on any hill for leveling scaling in the base game, but no level scaling in NG+? That's absurd.

Mossybrew

All those missions in the main city that require you to sneak into the castle/jail just felt like dumb filler and I'm glad to get those over with. Finally got a couple quests that are sending me to the next area, just started the journey there and this is really where the game's vibe is strongest, setting out on a long journey heading into unknown territory.

SCB3

Ok, lets try this again, I played a lot of Elden Ring yesterday and got that out of my system, so lets see if changing Vocation to a Archer fares me any better than the Fighter did

Skifi28

All those missions in the main city that require you to sneak into the castle/jail just felt like dumb filler and I'm glad to get those over with.
I can appreciate what they were going for, but the execution was bad and they also were very buggy. Some guards wouldn't care if you released a prisoner right in front of them, but then I would enter the masquerade ball dressed like I was supposed to only to be immediately attacked by 10 guards for no apparent reason.

Topher

Gold Member
All those missions in the main city that require you to sneak into the castle/jail just felt like dumb filler and I'm glad to get those over with. Finally got a couple quests that are sending me to the next area, just started the journey there and this is really where the game's vibe is strongest, setting out on a long journey heading into unknown territory.

Yeah......those "sneak" missions were stupid. Just put on the gear they gave you and run around all you want inside the castle. Ain't really any "sneaking" involved. More like fetch quests. Was not impressed with those. I figure these were just to set up more of the story, which is fine, but could have been one mission, gather three things, etc.

GymWolf

Ok, lets try this again, I played a lot of Elden Ring yesterday and got that out of my system, so lets see if changing Vocation to a Archer fares me any better than the Fighter did
Just try the warrior dude, even the earlier skills are cool compared to the fighter between the sword shoryuken, the lunge with the impalement and the charged blow.

Topher

Gold Member
Mage feels pretty dang weak. Clealry just there to heal, buff/debuff, remove statuses, etc. Using the wand feels like I got a can of bug spray in my hand. Ready to move on to sorcerer

Kacho

Mage feels pretty dang weak. Clealry just there to heal, buff/debuff, remove statuses, etc. Using the wand feels like I got a can of bug spray in my hand. Ready to move on to sorcerer
Yeah, casters are more passive/support roles. So far Warrior and Thief are the most engaging classes. Fighter is a little too vanilla IMO, the parries are fun though.

Have yet to try Archer...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can appreciate what they were going for, but the execution was bad and they also were very buggy. Some guards wouldn't care if you released a prisoner right in front of them, but then I would enter the masquerade ball dressed like I was supposed to only to be immediately attacked by 10 guards for no apparent reason.
there are like 7 of them back to back to back and they all end up like that. the one with the secret door took me forever to figure out and then the real door behind it wouldnt open.

i swear i must have wasted 3-4 hours doing these prison and castle missions and i hate them even more than the FF7 Rebirth forced mini missions.

Japanese devs used to understand game design. I could excuse their graphics woes because these dudes just got level design. I dont know wtf is happening lately. FF16, FF7 and now DG2. For everything they do right, they do two things wrong.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yuck. Fighter is boring as sin. Thief and Archer are where the fun’s at. I started Fighter to get the weight augment, and hated that class. I couldn’t go back to Thief fast enough.

DavidGzz

I love fighter once you get some levels. It's my second favorite but I'm partial to sword and board. Hind slash where you dodge an attack only to spring forward with the backhand and the jumping slash with the roll to hit harpies are really fun to me. Plus, just being able to block and parry is really nice.

SCB3

Yuck. Fighter is boring as sin. Thief and Archer are where the fun’s at. I started Fighter to get the weight augment, and hated that class. I couldn’t go back to Thief fast enough.
Yea I'm much more enjoying an archer so far, still doing the main quest right now and with a decent bow unlocking the skills as I go

IAmRei

Exploring this games map is a treat. Usually something is hiding where you think something should. I love when devs reward our curiosity.
Also some traps for foes are common now. So far sooo gooood <3

Anyway i saw update for ps5 today, there is new game, raytracing motion blur turn off and 30 cap options.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Eh really? I play for some hours and not so jangky, in the contrary, lot of animation is so fluid, and movement is prettry much real for me.
It’s like Monster Hunter, in the sense the movement and body placement are 100% deliberate. Capcom is king with melee combat.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah, movement is more or less 1:1 with Monster Hunter World. Nothing janky about it.
I am curious why there isn’t a lock on mechanic, like in MH. I think it might have something to do with this game having way faster enemies and a lot tighter areas, like caves.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
yeah in the first game Mage had a lot of damage potential, so much that it was often better to just run mage because the heal/cure spells were mage only, sorcerers had access to the really big damage stuff and chainspelling bosses to death.
I guess they figured it was better to really split the two for this game, so one is clearly support, with some damage; kinda how they split strider into archer and thief.

DavidGzz

An option would be nice, but I kind of like not having to mess with locking on constantly. It wouldn't feel good with the action pace imo. I wouldn't mind a soft lock on in ER like they have in this as an option.

Kacho

An option would be nice, but I kind of like not having to mess with locking on constantly. It wouldn't feel good with the action pace imo. I wouldn't mind a soft lock on in ER like they have in this as an option.
The soft lock in DD2 is kinda ok. Like it works most of the time. Fighter feels kinda ass with it because you focus on one enemy and get zerg rushed from behind.

Meicyn

Gold Member
There should flat out be a hard lock option just as Monster Hunter has one. I won’t use it a lot of the time, but there are moments where it would absolutely be a boon. The R3 button currently just swings the camera to the front. That is literally where a lock on toggle should be, with the right stick to shift focus when you’re toggled to on.

buenoblue

Playing on PS5 this game is rough. Especially after playing ff7 rebirth. Juddery framerate, clipping every where, no lypsycing. I'm early I know but the combat just seems so hap Hazzard. No feeling of connection of weapon. I was on the fence but seen so much good things about the game I caved and bought it.

I will play some more but yeah I'm not feeling it it all feels janky af.

Last edited:

SantaC

Playing on PS5 this game is rough. Especially after playing ff7 rebirth. Juddery framerate, clipping every where, no lypsycing. I'm early I know but the combat just seems so hap Hazzard. No feeling of connection of weapon. I was on the fence but seen so much good things about the game I caved and bought it.

I will play some more but yeah I'm not feeling it it all feels janky af.
It gets better for sure. The overworld is very nice to explore.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
basically all classes feels weaker this time...
Yeah I think so. All the classes I feel are more streamlined. I really miss DD1 Sorc. Maelstrom is just an AoE in this game. Has no draw-in effect at all. Don't think it even moves and changes it's collision boxes at all. Thief and Warrior are probably best of the bunch. Haven't unlocked Magick Archer but I assume it was neutered too.

When it comes to Mage/Sorcerer I feel like it's a one trick Pony that either relies on one specific buff spell or in Sorc's case Spellhold dbl flare or firing off either Tornado or Meteors or making a build that revolves around Elemental weaknesses.

DD2 Magic also revolves around a lock-on system. Spells you used to aim with like Maelstrom and Exequy as as well as stuff like Miasma or channeled spells like Fulmination or Grapnel don't have a use because this lock-on magic system limits what you can do.

And the lack of Dark Magic is lame. I think there is only a couple Holy spells. Celestial Paean and pretty sure it's Decanter.

Not sure but I think Magick Archer has some Mystic Knight stuff baked into some of their attacks.

I mean even after DD2 nothing tops DD1 Sorcerer.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
For folks on PS5, turn off motion blur and raytracing. The lighting looks more flat and last gen, but you get a far better framerate outside of the capital. Translates to a better gameplay experience.

Amusingly enough, the last gen lighting also lets you see monsters a little better, IMO.

SCB3

A fast few hours gone by levelling, so now I'm on a quest to get 15 WLC so off to Dragon Slay!

On the plus side I finally took down a Griffin! Tough but my archer made short work of it

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I was curious, but I did see for those that want a lock on, and are on pc, I’m about 90% sure I saw there was a mod to add one in.

Kacho

Gotta say, this game dropped at the perfect time. My wife and kids were out of town visiting the inlaws, so I had a full fucking week alone to go nuts. 57 hours logged as of this post lol

One more night to dig in without a care in the world. Gonna grab a case of beer and have a good time.

IAmRei

I am curious why there isn’t a lock on mechanic, like in MH. I think it might have something to do with this game having way faster enemies and a lot tighter areas, like caves.
Speaking of caves, the cam in the cave today is kind of awfully stuck behind slope and wall, and i was bullied with goblins before my pawns arrives and glad i made it alive... 😂

IAmRei

Gotta say, this game dropped at the perfect time. My wife and kids were out of town visiting the inlaws, so I had a full fucking week alone to go nuts. 57 hours logged as of this post lol

One more night to dig in without a care in the world. Gonna grab a case of beer and have a good time.
Dang i envy, my works like ass this week, also next week, and i have no long session for gaming

GHG

It feels as if mages are only appropriate for being pawns in this game. I'm running with 2 mages (one of these pawns is my own) who are both equipped with 4 different support skills each, and then one sorcerer.

Combined with my thief build, we are absolutely wrecking shit, even the bosses are trivial. I legitimately think I may have broken the game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It feels as if mages are only appropriate for being pawns in this game. I'm running with 2 mages (one of these pawns is my own) who are both equipped with 4 different support skills each, and then one sorcerer.

Combined with my thief build, we are absolutely wrecking shit.

Definitely going to let pawns handle mage duties after I'm done maxing the vocation. I like being in the action more. My group is tearing shit up as well. I'm mage, main pawn is sorceror, other two are warrior and thief. Honestly.....I don't have to do much except heal folks when need be.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom